• Advertisement

Nintendo Switch

Clappy

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/01/nintendo-nx-android/

According to the link, sounds like Nintendo is going to put the commercial flop of the Wii U behind it in a year or two down the line.  While they aren't actually going to start revealing details for the console until next year, the idea of it running on Android is intriguing.  I wonder if this will be something completely different from the home console.

I predicted this before, obviously the Wii U's sales haven't been the best in the last few years. They probably took notice of that and decided to announce new hardware. 3 years might seem early to announce a new console but with the Wii U not doing so well despite some good games that have come out lately it seems reasonable for them to announce this, especially when its being outsold by the other consoles. All I can say is that I hope for the best, and hopefully they'll make a more on par console this time around.

This is Nintendo's make or break moment, if they succeed i'm sure they'll have all the games we want plus good third party support. But if they don't succeed then I see this pushing them further into irrelevancy. Who knows what will happen but I can safely say that it has to be successful no matter what, it all depends on Nintendo's actions with the hardware. Hopefully they won't make another underpowered machine.

I want it to have decent third party support and be as powerful as the Ps4/Xboner. Having backwards compatibility would be nice too and I hope they launch it with some good games. Maybe have Zelda be a cross gen title and have a Metroid/new 3d Mario?

Dat controller. I'm actually optimistic about this, but yeah, I'm also hoping they have a good selection of third-party shit and backwards compatibility. No backwards compatibility is what killed a lot of my interest in the PS4. Also not really turned on by the XBOXONE...

55 minutes ago, Teamwork said:

I want it to have decent third party support and be as powerful as the Ps4/Xboner. Having backwards compatibility would be nice too and I hope they launch it with some good games. Maybe have Zelda be a cross gen title and have a Metroid/new 3d Mario?

The Xboner on the other hand, I'd love to play that...

This is seriously Nintendo's time to shine. If they can come out with something that is revolutionary, yet not gimmicky, then Nintendo can really steal Sony and Microsoft's thunder. But if they flop again... I'd say it's game over.

Although, on the off hand, Pokemon Go looks promising, and shows that Nintendo is considering moving onto other platforms as a backup strategy.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Dr Professor Patrick said:

This is seriously Nintendo's time to shine. If they can come out with something that is revolutionary, yet not gimmicky, then Nintendo can really steal Sony and Microsoft's thunder. But if they flop again... I'd say it's game over.

Although, on the off hand, Pokemon Go looks promising, and shows that Nintendo is considering moving onto other platforms as a backup strategy.

Yeah I think if the NX fails they're done with home consoles. I'd assume they'd switch to mobile/handheld only. I know Ninty has a lot of money in the bank but they can't survive as a business the way they have been for a few years.

I know specifically that Amiibos are a big reason Nintendo are even making a profit.

I want to say that I made a thread for this last year after finding out rumors of this happening. :laugh:

Glad to know this is official though and while I don't think it's "game over" if this flops for future Nintendo home consoles, they badly need this to be a success.  I'm loving the sounds of this console and that controller though and will definitely be buying one since I've owned every single Nintendo console, why not one more.

18 minutes ago, Clappy said:

I want to say that I made a thread for this last year after finding out rumors of this happening. :laugh:

Glad to know this is official though and while I don't think it's "game over" if this flops for future Nintendo home consoles, they badly need this to be a success.  I'm loving the sounds of this console and that controller though and will definitely be buying one since I've owned every single Nintendo console, why not one more.

Iwata (RIP) confirmed it last year IIRC at a conference. He didn't specifically give any details but he said they had a "dedicated game console" in development. Although most consoles take several years in development anyway. They started working on the PS4 in 2008 and are according to rumors in very early stages of development on the PS5 too.

On 1/26/2016 at 5:16 PM, Teamwork said:

Iwata (RIP) confirmed it last year IIRC at a conference. He didn't specifically give any details but he said they had a "dedicated game console" in development. Although most consoles take several years in development anyway. They started working on the PS4 in 2008 and are according to rumors in very early stages of development on the PS5 too.

The PS5?! Can Sony POSSIBLY come up with a LESS creative name than THAT?!!! Microsoft Windows already does more or less the same thing with each new Windows release; so come up with your OWN thing, Sony! :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, 4EverGreen said:

The PS5?! Can Sony POSSIBLY come up with a LESS creative name than THAT?!!! Microsoft Windows already does more or less the same thing with each new Windows release; so come up with your OWN thing, Sony! :rolleyes:

That's just what they call Playstations. It's been that way since the PS2.

1 minute ago, Teamwork said:

That's just what they call Playstations. It's been that way since the PS2.

I don't care! I just wish Sony would at least TRY to be creative with the names of each new gaming device that they came up with! :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, 4EverGreen said:

I don't care! I just wish Sony would at least TRY to be creative with the names of each new gaming device that they came up with! :rolleyes:

Yeah, anyone can come up with a name like Vita. NX on the other hand? Wii? Wii U? That takes the imagination of Walt Disney, man.

Sony just calls their home consoles by numbers because each one is an upgrade to the Playstation. A sequel. It's for simplicity. Getting on them for just using numbers to mark the sequels is like...getting on every entertainment franchise producer that just calls the sequels to their works by number. 

Edited by Metal Snake
  • Like 2