• Advertisement

Nintendo Switch

Clappy

19 minutes ago, Hudgegratskid said:

Kinda ironic how we had to sell our Wii U recently... The NX better have backwards compatibility.

I'm assuming so. Why did you have to sell it anyways?

Edited by Teamwork

I rather see it having good hardware and some support this time. The lack of both of those is what caused the Wii U to falter and suffer low sales. As for backward compatibility, i'm not so sure if it should have it this time considering the Wii U used the Power PC architecture, the NX will likely go for another architecture to make it easier to develop for. Sure, there will still be an eShop but Nintendo seems to want to take a different route for the NX; its possible they'll abandon the Wii brand as part of their plans for the console. Think of it this way, Nintendo takes a different route each two consoles they release, since this will be their seventh console its possible that they'll open a new cycle of development just as they did before.

But going back to the topic, i'm hoping it will have actual new games at launch or at least near it, same with some third party games. Its the only way I see them going away with this. Nintendo's known for their innovation, so hopefully they'll fulfill their promise and give us a good console this time. I might wait to see what they have in store before buying it, but who knows.

2 hours ago, Metal Snake said:

Yay, they've not changed the name thus far. And March 2017? Only a year's wait, that's great.

This is a pretty strange idea tbh.

For one, this was first mentioned around a year ago: (just Nintendo saying they had hardware under the name of 'NX' under development), so when this gets released we'll have waited two years between the unofficial announcement and release date. I get the feeling they meant to announce it here and they only mentioned the NX was in development to not make investors worried.

Second, I feel like they'd capture more of the gaming press/attention if they have a big E3 reveal. You'd get everyone talking about it. They're kind of killing the hype for it in a way.

And it's also a bit unorthodox to release a console in March but I guess they want to have a bigger launch line up.

4 hours ago, Teamwork said:

This is a pretty strange idea tbh.

For one, this was first mentioned around a year ago: (just Nintendo saying they had hardware under the name of 'NX' under development), so when this gets released we'll have waited two years between the unofficial announcement and release date. I get the feeling they meant to announce it here and they only mentioned the NX was in development to not make investors worried.

Second, I feel like they'd capture more of the gaming press/attention if they have a big E3 reveal. You'd get everyone talking about it. They're kind of killing the hype for it in a way.

And it's also a bit unorthodox to release a console in March but I guess they want to have a bigger launch line up.

Yeah, I did find that bizarre how they didn't wait until E3 to reveal this...and that they're not revealing anything at E3 at all. Oh well though. 

12 hours ago, Metal Snake said:

Uh...I'm sorry, what?

That is pretty fucking stupid of him to say. If the Wii U weren't on it's way out, they wouldn't have pretty much stopped major development for it outside of Color Splash, they wouldn't be only production 800 thousand units this year (which is absurdly low for a console) and the NX wouldn't be able to play the new Zelda. Just admit the Wii U is done and this is a successor to it.

They're only doing this to save the last hundred thousand Wii Us they sell, although I don't see how anyone with common sense would buy one right now unless they're a collector.

• Like 1

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

A number of apparently verifiable leaks have confirmed that the Nintendo NX is a handheld hybrid, like we've all speculated. The weird part is apparently the controller is detachable? 
Sounds odd and gimmicky. :/ And it will be revealed officially in September.

Edited by Teamwork

If there's no backwards compatibility, I'm no longer interested. Although I wasn't planning to ever get an NX to begin with, that's just stupid. Why'd there be no backwards compatibility? 

• Like 1

Just now, Sandy said:

If there's no backwards compatibility, I'm no longer interested. Although I wasn't planning to ever get an NX to begin with, that's just stupid. Why'd there be no backwards compatibility? 

The NX will allegedly use cartridges and use a different architecture. It's using some weird Nvidia mobile chip. The Wii U runs on a Power PC chip.

1 minute ago, Teamwork said:

The NX will allegedly use cartridges and use a different architecture. It's using some weird Nvidia mobile chip. The Wii U runs on a Power PC chip.

Oh well. Even if I ever get the money I'm still not getting it. I just got a Wii U back in 2014!

I think the rumor is false knowing how Reggie called it a console. The NX getting announced in September makes sense knowing how its coming out this March. We'll just have to wait and speculate.

Edited by Skeeter