• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2015 Edition!

Wumbo

#14 - Another great episode! This was (and still is) one of my favorite episodes. I also remember this episode because it was one of the last times that I saw the Nickelodeon splat logo on television.

13. "And the only way out is through the... perfume department!"

njuwqkf6i5herpd20w6q.jpg

Shanghaied, 147 points

(9 of 26 lists. Highest Ranking: #2, MMM/PatBack)

The episode begins with a short Patchy the Pirate segment. Patchy tells the audience that they will be watching his favorite episode, "Shanghaied," but Potty shoots him out of a cannon.

The SpongeBob episode starts with SpongeBob opening a box of cereal (Kelpo), labeled as having "One of eight essential prizes inside." He pours out the whole box, but cannot find any prize. Suddenly, a giant anchor crashes into SpongeBob's house, which SpongeBob then believes to be a "baby" from the sky. He and Patrick alert Squidward that the sky had a baby, and he explains that it is a giant anchor. Suddenly, the anchor moves, crashing in to Squidward's house as well. Squidward begins climbing up the anchor's rope to complain to the owner, and SpongeBob and Patrick follow. They find out that the anchor was dropped from the Flying Dutchman's ghost ship. When the trio set foot on the ship, the Flying Dutchman emerges from his cabin, terrifying Squidward. SpongeBob and Patrick tell the Dutchman of Squidward's intentions to complain to him, and he repeatedly burns Squidward with fire from his nostrils (and eyes). He tells SpongeBob and Patrick that "you're next," and they attempt to jump over board, but land back on the ship every time with the Dutchman welcoming them back. The Dutchman then tells them that for setting foot on his ghost ship, they shall be forced to work as his ghostly crew for all eternity.

Squidward proceeds to complain about this, and the Dutchman throws him into a zipper-like portal to a chaotic dimension, called the "Fly of Despair." The Flying Dutchman then has SpongeBob and Patrick help him go around Bikini Bottom and scare people. However, they cause more harm than good for the Dutchman, who then tells him that he has decided to eat them instead. He locks them in their room, as he prepares for his dinner. SpongeBob and Patrick reluctantly decide to escape through the "perfume department," where perfume is constantly getting sprayed in their faces as they walk through it. After getting through the perfume department, they steal the Flying Dutchman's dining sock, which he can't eat without. The Flying Dutchman catches the two as they try to escape. SpongeBob and the Flying Dutchman begin fighting over the sock, until the Flying Dutchman decides to grant them three wishes in exchange for it. Patrick wishes he knew about this earlier, thus wasting the first wish. SpongeBob wishes that Squidward was here to see this. Meanwhile, Squidward, after passing through the Fly of Despair, is dropped into his bedroom, but is then immediately transported back to the Dutchman's ship. The trio begin arguing over who should get the last wish, until the Dutchman gives SpongeBob the last wish. SpongeBob wishes that the Flying Dutchman turns into a vegetarian. SpongeBob and the others are turned into fruit and are chased by the Dutchman who is now a hippie. The episode itself ends and Patchy returns to greet the audience. After a totally random outburst in which he tells the audience to walk the plank, he announces that they are going to read a fan letter. Unfortunately, Potty shows up with a fuse in his head from an evidently unplanned explosives stunt. Potty and Patchy are blown up and Patchy decides to sign off the show.

PatBack: This episode is pure awesome. Some may consider Chocolate with Nuts or Band Geeks to be the show's pinnacle of hilarity, but personally this is it. I mean, off the top of my head, this episode gave us LEEDLELEEDLELEEDLE, the perfume department scene, the Fly of Despair, "the sky had a baby!", and the three alternative endings. No matter how many times I rewatch it I still end up rolling on the floor laughing. This is Tex Avery level gold, and it was a very likely candidate for my trusty #1 position. /end

Clappy: I had this incredibly high on my list at 4 and my Top 4 will always be my Top 4 for the forseeable future because it will have take a special episode to make me change it.

Anyway, why do I love this episode so much? It's one of the most well crafted episodes of the series. The humor is on point from SpongeBob struggling to remember The Flying Dutchman's name, the perfume department gag, one note character gags like the kid with four biscuits and then he ate one so now he has three, Squidward repeatedly getting burned by The Flying Pit of Despair for his own ignorance, Patrick being a comedy gold mind with Leedle Leedle Lee, wasting the first wish, just to name a few. Also, it furthers the point that The Flying Dutchman is one of my favorite minor characters. Every time we get a focal point episode about him, we are never disappointed (except Ghost Host but even then, it's not due to Dutchy that episode is mediocre).

I also love the creativity of three separate endings. I always wondered what Patrick and Squidward's endings would be if either of them got the final wish and that aspect did not disappoint when I finally caught wind of it. This episode just has way too many memorable moments and great episodes always are able to distinguish themselves for having constant repeat value. That's what makes this one of the all-time greats.

Wumbo: This made my list as well. As I think I've said before, I love it when SpongeBob explores new settings, and obviously the Dutchman's ship qualifies. Before this episode, the Dutchman was used as more of a surprise element at the end of an episode, or... I don't know, someone who can tie a lot of knots, but this was the first episode to really focus on the character. And with SpongeBob and Patrick acting as his foils, you know it's gonna be funny. The amount of stuff that happens in this episode is just perfect. Every moment brings a new twist, like the Fly of Despair or the perfume department or even the three separate endings! It's so cool to be able to see each ending, and all of them are great. The whole episode is great. This is an episode that just oozes creativity and fun, and I enjoy watching it every time. A SAILOR'S LIFE IS A WONDERFUL LIFE, A WONDERFUL LIFE FOR SURE!
  • Like 6

I thought Snowball Effect was a relatively forgotten episode, but according to 10 lists, many people must've had that notion. While it didn't make my cut at 25, it would've gotten in on 30, and it's a really charming episode that takes the simple joy of snowball fighting to extreme and incredibly ironic hilarity, not much to say, really. As for Shanghaied... eh, it's kinda overrated. I feel that it kinda felt a bit more like an interactive episode than a real "journey", but that's just me. It's still funny enough to get the "good" moniker from me even if I don't find it hilarious or anything. Can say it was creative, though. 

If my top 25 was expanded, Shanghaied would've made the cut. The perfume department and "LEEDLE LEEDLE LEEDLE LEE" are two of the best jokes in the show, IMO.

oh man I gotta finish my commentary soon hehe

• Like 1

While personally my favorite of these as an episode was The Motion Picture (which oddly made this same spot :P), I do still think this one is really solid, and as a superhero story, I love it. It fully took advantage of it's concept of a full set of good guys and bad guys, from an interesting arc from Barnacle Boy to the surprisingly emotional ending, and keeps up the action and suspense while still retaining it's comedy. It didn't make my list but it may be the most perfectly balanced episode, only to Dunces and Dragons.

Why is it so much easier for me to analyze the episodes on the worst list? Oh right, human nature, nvm...

• Like 1

Easily my favorite MM&BB episode. I love how SB and friends try (and fail) to be superheroes, I love Barnacle Boy becoming a bad guy, and there are so many solid jokes that help make this episode a lot of fun. It's good enough to secure a spot in my top 10.

• Like 3

11. "KRUSTY KRAAAYAAAYAAA YAA YAA YAAAB PIZZA IS THE PIZZA YEEEAH FOR YOU AND... MEEE-HEEE-HEEEE!"

Pizza_Delivery_Gallery_(45).jpg

Pizza Delivery, 152 points

(11 of 26 lists. 1 #1 vote - jjs)

After getting a call to have a pizza delivered, The Krusty Krab makes its very first pizza delivery. Mr. Krabs decides to have Squidward deliver it. Squidward hesitates and asks why SpongeBob cannot just deliver it by himself. Mr. Krabs who was clearly not listening and declares "Great idea, take him with ya!," so SpongeBob and Squidward go to deliver a pizza. 

However, SpongeBob cannot drive, and is still in boating school. When he tries to shift into reverse he ends up "backing up" miles and miles into the middle of nowhere, until their boat runs out of gas whereupon Squidward and SpongeBob become stranded. SpongeBob then suggests delivering the pizza on foot, and they start walking. SpongeBob begins to sing a song about the Krusty Krab Pizza, and how it is the best pizza on the sea floor. After a while, SpongeBob does a pioneer trick of hearing the ground and hears a truck coming and tries to get its attention, but the driver ends up speeding up instead. Then, they get whirled into a tornado, and Squidward tells SpongeBob to let go of the pizza, but the pizza saves their lives when SpongeBob transforms it into a parachute. But when they land, they land further into the wilderness. SpongeBob tries to get Squidward to go in the direction the moss is pointing (one of his "pioneer tricks"), but Squidward goes in the other direction, despite there being civilization where the moss was pointing. After a while, Squidward tries to get SpongeBob to give him the pizza, but SpongeBob insists "It's for the customer." Squidward has about given up hope when SpongeBob finds a giant rock and says that pioneers rode them for miles.

Squidward does not believe SpongeBob, but after SpongeBob runs him over in it he hops on and they drive the rock all the way to the customer's house. The customer gets furious that he did not get the Diet Dr. Kelp he says he ordered (which he ordered, but at that time, Mr. Krabs put the phone down) and refuses to take or pay for the pizza. SpongeBob starts crying (and absorbs his tears). Angered that he and SpongeBob went through all that nonsense to get the customer his pizza and now he won't pay for it, Squidward bangs on the door and slams the pizza into the customer's face, telling SpongeBob he "ate the whole thing in one bite." After the confrontation, they hop back on the rock and SpongeBob exclaims "We have just enough time to get back to work!" and backs up a short distance to the Krusty Krab, much to Squidward's dismay.

jjs: Yup, this is still my #1, two years later. Why do I love this episode so much? Let me just educate you with some basic reasons:

1.) It was the first SpongeBob I recall watching as a kid, so it has nostalgia to me. 
2.) The fact Mr. Krabs can make a Krusty Krab Pizza out of Krabby Patties. That takes true skill.
3.) THE KRUSTY KRAB PIZZA IS THE PIZZA, FOR YOU AND ME!!!
4.) BACKING UP!
5.) This episode has some educational value, as it teaches kids that moss on rocks points to civilizations. Remember, if you ever get lost somewhere, take this episode's advice!
6.) It is a wonderful adventure with SpongeBob and Squidward, walking on foot to reach their destination. We have lots of drama in-between, a huge debate between our protagonists deciding who should get the pizza.
7.) Despite all of the episode's comedic moments, however, it has a tragic tale to it. The poor customer did not get his Dr. Diet Kelp. He also in turn, breaks the heart of protagonist SpongeBob. Squidward rightfully smashes the pizza in his face, but still, you have to feel bad for this poor customer. Who would want to eat a pizza without a drink? Please, I beg of you, if you see the customer, please give him a drink. Thank you.
8.) DANG PIONEERS
9.) IT'S NOT A BOULDER, IT'S A ROCK...A ROCK!
10.) Finally, this guy:

250px-Truck-Driver.jpg

tl;dr: It's a hilarious episode to me, and it holds a special place in my heart. It has a high-energy and never has a dull moment.

Halibut: You know those episodes that doesn't get loads of discussion but still appears to be universally liked? This is basically that episode. Along with episodes like F.U.N. and Jellyfish Jam, this seems to be one of those episodes that people turn to when classic season 1 episodes are the subject of a discussion. And for very good reason to. There has only been a small handful of episodes before and since that have shown such great chemistry between SpongeBob and Squidward. Squidward basically showed all of his general feelings towards SpongeBob in this episode. In about the first 80% of the episode, Squidward just has either annoyance or neutral feelings towards him, but when he sees SpongeBob feel worse than him near the end, he sticks up for him. And about that ending man, it was such an incredible feeling to see that jerk get hurt. Just a funny and very well-characterized episode.

Wumbo: You know, looking back it's really interesting just how early in the series the writers were willing to shake things up. You have the fifth episode block and SpongeBob and Squidward are delivering the first-ever Krusty Krab Pizza... like, what?! After the first four blocks which were mostly character and show setup (even if I do like Ripped Pants a lot, even more than this episode), this was the first episode, I think, to actually try a plot where they didn't have to set up character, because it was already established. And how well it works is just a testament to the show that it can try stunts like this so early. It's also the first episode to really build a bond between Squidward and SpongeBob, and the first episode to show just how naturally it can occur. There's a really good "early episode" appeal to this one, but it also stands on its own as a fine 11 minutes of television. This was so close to making my list. Maybe if it had been a little funnier it would have, but it's still an awesome episode all on its own.

• Like 5