• Advertisement

Wumbo Ranks Billboard Year-End Hot 100 Charts! (Ahhh, the deed is done.)

Wumbo

All right, let's get this party started.

In some ways, 2011 was a better year than 2010. In other ways, it was a worse year. The best songs this year were much, much better than 2010's, but the worst songs were also much worse. Overall, though, I think the good songs this year make up for the bad ones. They prove to outclass 2010 far more than their worst songs do. But let's get to those big, bad, terrible songs to start things off, shall we? (Let's face it, they're the most fun.)

Wumbo's Bottom 10 Songs of 2011

Spoiler

10. "Party Rock Anthem" - LMFAO

Put simply, this is a lazy song by lazy people. RedFoo and Sky Blu do nothing to convince me that they actually like to party; only that they know other people like to party, and as such they should write songs about it, because it's popular, dontcha know? At least with "Sexy and I Know It" you could find maybe one or two funny lines, but this is just a waste of sound. It sounds as uninspired as its artists.

...Buuut I have to say I do like the concept of this video a lot. A few years later and I still find it pretty funny and enjoyable, infinitely more so than the song. If I had taken the video into account this song might not be as low by association, but ignoring the video, it's in the right place.

Spoiler

9. "Born This Way" - Lady Gaga

Now this one surprised me probably as much as it surprises you. I had no idea how much I actually loathed this song until I sat down and compiled my list.

"But, Wumbo! It's inclusive! It's uplifting! It's the song to echo a changing generation!" It's exploitative. It's pandering. It's something that any schlock expert could have written if they sat down and leafed through a sociology book. These lyrics are fucking garbage.

No matter gay, straight, or bi,
Lesbian, transgendered life

Hold on there, Gaga. You left out pansexual, asexual, third gender, and all those other people who are probably heartbroken that they didn't get a split second of mention in your song.

You're black, white, beige, chola descent
You're Lebanese, you're orient

Uh... orient? Are you sure that's the word you want to go for there?

No matter black, white or beige
Chola or orient made,

Stop that!

I get what Gaga was going for, but she tries way too hard, and at the same time, not enough. This isn't a song. This is a first draft of a song. This needed to be looked at again and rewritten several times. Or maybe just gutted altogether.

Spoiler

8. "Lighters" - Bad Meets Evil ft. Bruno Mars

Some people might look at Eminem and say that "Just Lose It" was his worst hit song ever, but personally, I'd pick that any day over this boring ball of nothing. All the musical choices here are just so bizarre for Eminem. What the hell is that weak backing beat? How is it supposed to represent Eminem?

No, I know. Here's the problem. This is Bad Meets Evil FEATURING BRUNO MARS.

What on earth is he doing on this track? Whatever energy Eminem and Royce da 5'9" might bring to this track (and it's not much to begin with), Bruno Mars just saps it away. The chorus doesn't even match up with either of the verses. Actually, the verses don't match up with each other. Actually, parts of the same verse don't correlate. It's just a boring clusterfuck of a song. Bad Meets Worse is more like it.

My God, this song is five minutes long, too.

Spoiler

7. "Blow" - Ke$ha

I want to like Ke$ha more than I do, because I know there's a brain under all that fluff. And in fact, I really like "We R Who We R" (it didn't make my Top 10, but it came damn close). But this song is just obnoxious. The beat is obnoxious, Ke$ha's rapping/singing is obnoxious, the lyrics are obnoxious, this video with unicorns is even obnoxious. It's just an annoyance; Ke$ha at her worst is on par with Nicki Minaj at her worst. And this is Ke$ha at her worst. This song about to...

Spoiler

6. "The Lazy Song" - Bruno Mars

"The Pointless Song" is more like it. Look, I get that we all have these feelings sometimes, and that's why this song became so popular. Perhaps you could say that a lazy song was even necessary. But lazy songs are supposed to be relaxing. Not smarmy and... here comes that "o" word again... obnoxious! Yes, this is a truly annoying song. It has no substance whatsoever. It's just Bruno Mars giving us a list of things he's not going to do today. He's not gonna comb his hair. He's not gonna pick up the phone. He's not gonna work out. I don't need to hear about your lazy day, Bruno! Some of us don't get to have them.

And that's the tone that this song gives off to me; instead of a relatable song where we can all enjoy Bruno's non-antics, it's a song that goes "ha ha, you have to work and I don't have to do anything." And I assume this lazy day he had was a day where he was supposed to be composing this song, because "The Lazy Song" is in fact, a super-lazy song on top of all these other things. What a waste of airplay.

Spoiler

5. "Tonight (I'm Fuckin' You)" - Enrique Iglesias ft. Ludacris & DJ Frank E

Before "Blurred Lines" shook the nation, we had this unpleasant song from a once-harmless crooner. And really, what's wrong with the song is the title. There's nothing you can do with this song to make it better, and still have that title somewhere in the lyrics. "Escape" might have been vaguely creepy, but this treads into full-on sex offender territory. You see, tonight he's fucking you, and there's nothing you can do about it. Try to have a good time, anyway!

Ugh. There's really not much more I can say here. Just a horrible song with a horrible lyric thrown in the mix. I've never been the hugest fan of Enrique to begin with (well, there was that one song), but this song put him in the "dislike" pile of artists for me. Even if it was a mistake, he strikes me as kind of a dope who doesn't think about things before he writes them. Such is the method of coming up with "Tonight (I'm Fuckin' You)".

Spoiler

4. "Down on Me" - Jeremih ft. 50 Cent

Jeremih's that one guy who you look at and wonder, even with the state of R&B today, how the hell he became famous. Who is this guy? Why do people seem to like him this much? It's beyond me. All I can say is that he's got nothing new or interesting to offer to the world of music, and he should regress back into obscurity where he belongs. Also, 50 Cent's on this track, but just barely. I've always thought Fiddy was grossly overrated, but I've never heard him more lifeless than here. I mean, Jeremih is beating him in terms of personality. That's just sad.

So... he wants you to go down on him, or something or other I really don't care next song.

Spoiler

3. "Black and Yellow" - Wiz Khalifa

LMFAO may have made the most fame off of being completely talentless and lazy, but Wiz Khalifa perfected the art. This song could have been so much more... well, no, it probably couldn't have. But it could have been better than this. It's a song about Wiz Khalifa's car. His black and yellow car. That you push a button to start... okay, why do rappers keep bragging about their easy-to-steal cars?!

But that's probably the least of this song's offenses. First off, it's fucking boring. The melody doesn't go anywhere, and Wiz doesn't either. Second, it's incompetent. Half the time, I don't think he even tries to rhyme, and when he does, they're weak ones. Third, I don't care about all the features your stupid car has! Maybe is this car meant something more to you than just a status symbol of your wealth, but as is, it's shallow and lame. Presumably, just like Wiz himself.

Spoiler

2. "Look at Me Now" - Chris Brown ft. Lil Wayne & Busta Rhymes

Well folks, here it is: the answer to the hypothetical question, "Who or what is shitty enough to bring Busta Rhymes down from the top of my lists to the bottom?" That answer, to no one's surprise, is eternal shit-turd Chris Brown. Maybe Busta's stuff is okay, but I'm just so distracted by how terrible Chris Brown is on this track that it doesn't matter. Oh, and Lil Wayne as well. I think the most pathetic part of this song is when Chris Brown and Lil Wayne try to be like Busta and fail epically. Chris Brown literally gives up in the middle of his trial. Is this really the song that's supposed to bring him into my good graces? It's obnoxious, it's lazy, it's downright insulting to the listener, it is the one and only Chris Brown. Never change. I like having you as a punching bag. (*abandon Rihanna joke, abandon Rihanna joke*)

Spoiler

1. "Tonight Tonight" - Hot Chelle Rae

Even though I'm a huge fan of ToddInTheShadows, I try to distance myself from his opinions as much as I can, to make my own analyses. But... damn, he's just dead on here. This is the song of 2011 that least deserved fame. It has absolutely nothing of value to offer. It's a bunch of stupid geeky white kids acting like stupid geeky white kids. I hear this song and all I think of is a bad Kidz Bop/Glee crossover. Two of my least favourite things of all time, in one. Hot Chelle Rae: They're really that bad. Sometimes one-hit wonders get unfairly drafted into that status, but I'm confident that this is one band we never have to hear from ever again.

Top 10 coming either tomorrow or Friday!

• Like 2

Uh... okay, so... Top 10! Whoo.

Wumbo's Top 10 Songs of 2011

Spoiler

10. "Moves Like Jagger" - Maroon 5 ft. Christina Aguilera

I swear, every time I make one of these lists, I go out of my way to embarrass myself in the Top 10. So let's start this one off early, with "Moves Like Jagger" at the #10 spot. Yeah, this song is absolutely stupid and ridiculous. But good God, is it catchy. The beat thumps along with the guitar strumming, and Adam Levine's vocals are actually pretty tolerable here. He doesn't go into Screechy Pterodactyl Mode, which is always nice to hear. I know it's a stupid premise, and every joke possible about it has already been made, so I won't bother. It detracts from my case for this song, anyway. It's just a fun song to listen to when you're in the mood for something light on intelligence but high on energy.

Spoiler

9. "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" - Katy Perry

Ohhh, the embarrassment just gets worse and worse. Ignoring this irritating video, we've got ourselves an honestly pretty well done Katy Perry song. Now, I actually hated this song when it first came out. I thought it was banal, pointless, and trite. And it is still all of those things. But, come on. This is a 2011 song featuring Kenny G!

What is there to say about that except, "Wow, I need to pay attention!" And pay attention I do, to the catchy beat that sucks you in, and probably some of Katy Perry's "best" vocals. Overall, a good song to play on Saturday morning to remember what you did Friday night.

I also kind of like that it provides some realistic elements to the narrative, such as what to tell your boss about those online pictures, and actually getting kicked out of a bar for being too obnoxious. It's still a stupid song, but it at least has some depth to it that I never really credited before. Overall, I'd listen to "Last Friday Night" aaaaaalllll over again!

Spoiler

8. "Firework" - Katy Perry

Honestly, everything "Born This Way" did wrong, "Firework" did right. You wouldn't think that it would turn out this way with Gaga vs. Katy, but here we are, with "Firework" the clear winner of the two. Unlike Lady Gaga, who feels that she has to name-drop every oppressed minority in the book to make everyone feel included, Katy Perry just has this song addressing everyone without explicitly needing to state that it addresses everyone.

This one goes out to all those who... feel like plastic bags... drifting through the... okay, so it's not perfect. But God damn, it's better than Gaga's attempt. Katy Perry's song here doesn't feel phoned-in or rushed. It just feels like a true message from Katy to her Kitty Cats (I think that's what she calls her fanbase?) The roles would soon reverse come 2013 (check the list again and see how each artist fared), but the clear winner of this battle of the songs was Katy Perry.

Spoiler

7. "E.T." - Katy Perry ft. Kanye West

Okay, now this is seriously getting out of hand. I promise, this is the last Katy Perry song on this Top 10 list, and it's probably my favourite Katy Perry tune overall. It doesn't sound like a typical Katy Perry song; it sounds so dark and unpleasant, but Katy Perry offers enough to it that it doesn't become totally off-putting. It's a good mix. Oh, and Kanye West happened on this track.

I got a dirty mind
I got filthy ways
I'm tryna bathe my AAAAPE
In your milky way

They're callin' me an alien a big headed astronaut
Maybe it's because yo boy Yeezy get ass a lot

Pockets on Shrek, rockets on deck
Tell me what's next
ALIEN SEX

There is nothing I don't love about Kanye's parts in this song. It's so great to hear him sound so serious with goofy lyrics such as these. I don't know if he was parodying himself or if he truly believes that this is artful, but either way, props to him. In fact, let's be honest here. This is my favourite Katy Perry song because of Kanye West.

Spoiler

6. "On the Floor" - Jennifer Lopez ft. Pitbull

Take one good hard look, ladies and gentlemen. Because this is probably the only time you'll see a Jennifer Lopez song in my Top 10. J.Lo's never struck me as a brilliant artist. In fact, quite the opposite. But when she tries really hard to make a catchy, fiery dance tune, she succeeds. Enter "On the Floor", which pumps it up and backs it up like a Tonka truck... oh, God damn it, Pitbull again?!

How does he keep making it on my Top 10 lists? This defies logic! I guess I finally need to address this.

Pitbull's fine, usually, as a guest artist. When he has his own song, his personality isn't enough to carry it at all. But when he's given only a few lines here and there, he can actually help to enhance a song, like he does here. His lines here are notoriously bad, but they don't last for long, so you can kind of appreciate Pitbull as being that one dude that accidentally stumbled onto the track, but tried his best anyway to add to it.

Anyway, this is a dance song that definitely makes you wanna dance. It's got this throbbing beat throughout that Lopez just complements perfectly with her voice, it's got this huge comedown moment at the first part of the chorus, and then pumps right back up again. It's a J. Lo song with effort put into it. And I only wish she made more songs like this, less like... well, almost everything else she does.

Spoiler

5. "Rolling in the Deep" - Adele

I feel that 2011 was a year that said it was fed up with 2010's antics. So we got Adele to compensate for those antics. She was just so drastically different from anything else on the pop charts, and it paid off, with her song "Rolling in the Deep" soaring all the way to #1 on the year-end chart. While there were four songs I personally liked more this year. I can definitely say that this deserved the #1 spot. With Adele taking front and center, it paved the way for more different artists to step up and do their thing in 2012. But let's talk about this song specifically.

Adele's got a lot of soul in her, and I feel like this song (Maybe "Rumour Has It" as well) best showcases that soul. With the backing singers, the beat, and Adele herself, it all comes together for a wonderfully composed song. After 2010 was a year full of stupid club jams, Adele came to bring the pop scene back down to Earth a little. And we needed it.

Spoiler

4. "Pumped Up Kicks" - Foster the People

While this wasn't the biggest hit of the year, it might have been one of the strangest. At a time when rock, and certainly indie rock, were not on the minds of the social consciousness, Foster the People swooped down and made this song, and somehow it became a smash hit. I mean, there are definitely parts of it that would probably appeal to the masses. Everybody loves a good whistle, right? But this song was important as well, paving the way for other indie rock artists to cross over. It shouldn't have been a hit, but I'm glad it was. It's weird, it's kooky, it can get downright disturbing, but it's still wonderful.

Spoiler

3. "Fuck You" - Cee Lo Green

Yeah, I still like this song. And if you don't, fuck... ing hell, how can you not?

I mean, granted, I don't like the guy anymore, ever since he revealed himself to be kind of a dickhole. But damn it, he's not going to make me stop loving his song. It's such an abrasive song, right down to the title. But it manages to be really fun to sing along to, as well, partly because of its abrasiveness. Who hasn't wanted to say "fuck you!" to someone? Well folks, here's the socially acceptable circumstance under which you can do just that. Go grab someone you hate, listen to this song, and tell them straight to their face, "FUCK YOU!"

Anyway, fuck you, Cee Lo Green. But fuck it if this song still isn't amazing in 2014.

Spoiler

2. "The Show Goes On" - Lupe Fiasco

Not only did we have an indie rock hit in 2011, but we also had a rap song inspired by an indie rock hit. How cool is that? What's also cool is that he changed it from an ironically uplifting song to an actual uplifting song. Y'know, something to get the people goin'. Something to keep them goin', even when it seems tough. Because sometimes it is. But Lupe Fiasco knows you can get through it, and hell, if he does, then you just have to follow his lead. The show goes on, people!

Spoiler

Okay, so you remember what I said about Katy Perry trumping Lady Gaga this year? Well, while it was true in the case of those two songs, on the terms of the year as a whole, you can just forget about it.

1. "The Edge of Glory" - Lady Gaga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeWBS0JBNzQ

This decade, I've heard very few songs on the radio that grab me even after a couple listens. It usually takes a while before I warm up to new songs completely. This one grabbed me with one listen. It's my favourite pop song of this decade.

Forget the faux-activist bullshit and the pandering nonsense, give me THIS Lady Gaga, Queen of Pop. This is just a perfect song throughout. Every move made was a good one, from the "tonight yeah baby"s to the "ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT"s, to the sax solo by Clarence Clemons. It's a song that's about enjoying life, even to the end. This is a song that I can put on that will always get me in an excellent mood, no matter how I'm feeling. It's a pop masterpiece, and it is the rightful owner of my #1 spot of 2011.

• Like 2

Oh I missed my chance to give more thoughts than I have, but:

Born This Way is more boring than anything else. I'm surprised you didn't include Jason DeRulo's Don't Wanna Go Home after you told me how much you hated it. I actually think Lil Wayne is decent on Look at Me Now, but you are dead on with how bad Chris Brown is in this. As for your Top 10 list, I think the most surprising inclusion was Last Friday Night, which I've heard you mention on Plug in the past with how you don't like it. Otherwise, E.T. aside, nice Top 10. :)

• Like 1

10. I just can't even

9. Far from the best Perry song, but it's not bad

8. This song was overplayed, but I like it

7. Take out Kanye West, and this is my favorite Katy Perry song by a landslide

6. I love this song, and it's easily the most dance-worthy song on the year-end top 100 of 2011

5. She's an excellent singer and the song is great, but the overplay was a little bit dragging

4. I love this song, and I think its position is dead-on

3. I never understood the extreme love this song gets, but it's still a good song nevertheless

2. Aside from the sample which I love, this song is a little on the boring side

1. This is easily in my top 5 Lady Gaga songs, but I can name a couple ones I've always liked more

Overall, aside from number ten, this top 10 is really solid and you are really good at describing your opinion on all of these songs

• Like 1

Only on songs that made the year-end chart. Honestly, though... I don't think "Cat Daddy" is that reprehensible. The SpongeBob references make me giggle.

@Clappy: Yeah, I do remember saying that, but my turnaround on that song has been pretty recent. I think I was just jaded from the overplay in 2011, and as I said, its flaws still exist. I can just look past those flaws now that I don't need to listen to it every day.

@Halibut: Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully I can embarrass myself in 2014 just the same way. (Although there's no chance in hell of a Maroon 5 song making the Top 10 this time.)

Anyway, if y'all are curious as to the whereabouts of other songs on the year-end chart (link above), let me know and I'll provide you with my ranking and a short blurb on why.

Only on songs that made the year-end chart. Honestly, though... I don't think "Cat Daddy" is that reprehensible. The SpongeBob references make me giggle.

oh k

Opinions on

Price tag

Where them girls at 

headlines

in the dark

cheers

pretty girl rock

all of the lights

sexy and i know it

you make me feel

im on one

i wanna go

6 foot 7 foot

stereo hearts

how to love

s&m 

ok ill stop now

• Like 1

"Price Tag" - #45. I like the beat of this song, but the lyrics are just too cheesy for me to make it go any higher. Also, this was evidently way more popular in Canada than the US, so overplay killed it for me a little too.

"Where Them Girls At" - #75. This song should have just been Nicki Minaj's part, period. Too bad David Guetta and Flo Rida are on it as well, because they provide a whole lot of boring nothing, with Guetta recycling his "Sexy Bitch" beat and Flo Rida being a famous person who shouldn't be famous.

"Headlines" - #74. Not as boring as I remember, but still pretty damn dull. Would have been much lower if we were in 2012 right now and not 2014.

"In the Dark" - #63. I honestly think that Dev could be good, given the right material. Kind of like a saucier Britney Spears. But this song is so fucking banal that it's really not even worth commentary.

"Cheers (Drink to That)" - #53. I used to hate this song, mostly because it was Rihanna and Rihanna wouldn't go away in 2011, but now? It's pretty harmless. I mean, it's still not a very good song, but I just have no strong feelings towards it like I used to.

"Pretty Girl Rock" - #57. This song has some good ideas, but the overall message is just so gag-inducing that I can't justify it on my top half. Can I hate you because you're annoyingly vain, Keri?

"All of the Lights" - #19. Fantastic song. It drags a little bit at Kid Cudi's part, but Kanye and Rihanna more than make up for it.

"Sexy and I Know It" - #77. LMFAO are unpleasant to listen to, period. It can be a little funny at some parts, but overall it's just a wash.

"You Make Me Feel" - #13. Cobra Starship are so bad, but damn it, I guess they're so good, too! To be fair to myself though, I think this song is this high because of Sabi, who definitely carries it.

"I'm On One" - #17. I went into this song not expecting to like it at all, and I was pleasantly surprised. I really like Drake on this one, which proves that he does have talent, he just constantly squanders it. The beat is pretty good too.

"I Wanna Go" - #31. This was the only good Spears song this year. I like the continuous buildup, even during the chorus. The payoff is kind of lame, but most of this song pumps.

"6 Foot 7 Foot" - #21. Probably one of Lil Wayne's best efforts this decade. He brings some good energy to this track, which itself is backed by a nice sample. REAL GS MOVE IN SILENCE LIKE LASAGNA~

"Stereo Hearts" - #28. 2011 was back when I still had good memories of Adam Levine's music, so I can't say I hated anything from him at this point. It's a nice song.

"How to Love" - #25. Okay, the "Lil Wayne and acoustic guitar" song has always eluded me, so I finally got to check it out while making this list. And this song is hilarious. This is the sort of thing that they do in fairy tales of bad music. It is truly an entertaining piece.

"S&M" - #14. Now that 2011's over, I can look back at a lot of Rihanna songs and find a decent amount of merit in them. This one is intense throughout, and never lets up, which is awesome. And Rihanna's vocal performance in the chorus before the "na na na na na come on" part is one of her best ever. Yeah, you could argue about the implications of releasing a song about S&M after the Chris Brown incident, but I don't think it's fair that she has to be dumped into the position of an abuse spokesperson because of what happened. I like it, like it, come on!

Forget You

And forget her too. The censored version completely ruins the impact of the original.

• Like 2

"Stereo Love" - #40. Not much to say about this one. I do like the vocals on it, and it's harmless enough that even though it was overplayed, it never really got annoying to the point of hatred. It's alright.

"Please Don't Go" - #68. Not nearly as vomit-inducing as "Cooler Than Me", but still nothing to write home about at all. God, this man's voice is creepy.

"Roll Up" - #66. Definitely more effort put into this than "Black and Yellow", but it's still bland as fuck.

"Country Girl (Shake it For Me)" - #54. This song is disgusting, but damn, that chorus is catchy. Not catchy enough to save it from the bottom half, though.

"More" - #32. I should be more enthused by this, but it's a little repetitive for me. Still a fun jam, though.

"Hey Baby (Drop it To The Floor)" - #87. Dangerously close to my Bottom 10. There's a lot to hate about this song. It's unpleasant, T-Pain's Autotune has never sounded more annoying, and the song doesn't go anywhere.

And just4u Clappy:

"Dirt Road Anthem" - #20. The best country song this year. It's got a great relaxing mood to it. Okay, yeah, he fucking raps, and... I can't tell you what's going on there, but it's just odd enough to make me laugh, rather than dislike it.

"Colder Weather" - #38. It's a nice song, I suppose. There was just a lot more interesting stuff this year.

"You and Tequila" - #39. Again, it's a good song. It just got shafted in favour of Lil Wayne and Maroon 5. Oh my, does that sound sad or what?

"Back to December" - #44. Another good song, which is more than I can ask for from Taylor Swift, I guess.

"Knee Deep" - #46. I do like the Zac Brown Band more than I let on here. They're talented, and neither of their songs on this list are bad. But the good songs this year were simply so good, that there was no room for country music, even by these guys' standards.

"God Gave Me You" - #48. I suppose there's worse things Blake Shelton can be singing about than his wife, so... congratulations. Sappy sweetness gives you a pass this time.

"Crazy Girl" - #50. Not a very strong song, but nothing to get offended by, either.

"Remind Me" - #52. This song has one of the worst music videos I've ever seen. It's just Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood walking in a desert. And yes, it's as thrilling as it sounds. As for the song? Meh.

"Country Girl" - see above.

"Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not" - #58. Just kind of an awkward song, and I don't know how seriously I'm supposed to take it as a love song.

"If I Die Young" - #60. Just gonna use this moment to address that all the returning bad songs from 2010 are higher on my list, which speaks heavily about the bad music this year. Anyway, still a crappy song.

"Honey Bee" - #65. Booooooriiiiiiiing.

"Take a Back Road" - #69. Who the hell is Rodney Atkins?

"Just a Kiss" - #88. By a country mile (teehee) the worst country song on this list. Remember to leave a little room for Jesus, you frisky young'uns!

Also, my brief thoughts on "All of the Lights" are in my last post.

"Don't Wanna Go Home" - #81. I was kind of awestruck by just how bad 2011's bad music was. It was so bad that Jason Derulo didn't actually make it onto the Worst list. But this song is still awful, managing to ruin Harry Belafonte, Robin S., and Lil Jon all in one song. That takes a special degree of suckitude.

• Like 1

Couple of country songs that I missed (too much damn country music in 2011, yo):

"Barefoot Blue Jean Night" and "Don't You Wanna Stay" - #61 and #62. Both boring songs (I didn't even remember enough about them to put them on the original request), but I expect more from Kelly Clarkson, which is why Jake Owen edges her and Jason Aldean's song out.

And also:

"Just Can't Get Enough" - #23. The more I look back at The Black Eyed Peas, the more and more I realize that Fergie is the only talented member. The rest of this song is mediocre, but Fergie's part is just awesome.

"The Time (Dirty Bit)" - #90, or the unofficial #11 on my worst 10 list. There is just nothing to say about this song. The Black Eyed Peas don't say anything worthwhile in it, so why should I?

"Till the World Ends" - #86. Honestly, "I Wanna Go" is about as banal as this, but "I Wanna Go" is more interesting-sounding. Boring and banal? Hello, bottom 20 song.

• Like 1

"Super Bass" - #22. Pop princess Nicki at some of her best. Her craziness in the verses is just enough to keep this song interesting.

"We R Who We R" - #11. Wasn't kidding when I said this almost made it onto my Top 10. One of Ke$ha's best, especially during the chorus. Kind of what "Die Young" could have been.

"Yeah 3x" - #30. My secret shame. When Chris Brown takes on a non-douchey persona, I can tolerate a good jam from him. Just tell me it's, like, Usher on an off day or something and I'll buy it.

"My Last" - #59. Dumb song, but also boring. A song about living like it's your last day could have been more than this, but these guys just said "naw".

"Backseat" - #64. I just couldn't bring myself to hate this song as much as I should have. There was a lot worse than this song this year. Though this is still pretty forgettable and lame.

"Jar of Hearts" - #83. Like this song, this song was fucking terrible. Just unpleasant to listen to. I'm all for songs that come from a personal place in your heart, but this is just so whiny and "woe is me" that I can't stand it.

This fell to the second page? Hmm, maybe my New Year's Resolution should be to not let that happen.

And I've got just the remedy: Let's start posting these Top and Bottom 10 lists monthly! I've got a queue of Billboard years all lined up for me to tackle, and I'm determined to get through all of them. Should take me a good 4 or 5 years, but I can think of worse ways to spend one's time. So, what's up on the chopping block for January? How about one of the best years of pop music, ever? January's year will be...

Sit tight! It's going to be a wild ride into my first dissection of the 80's.

• Like 1