• Advertisement

057b. The Camping Episode

Sabre

I haven't seen this episode in a while but I thought this episode was funny too. I also agree with Trophy. Too much Squid abuse in this episode but I'll ignore it because I've seen worse Squid abuse episodes than this. I thought the song was great and funny. I laughed so much when the sea bear kept attacking Squidward. The marshmallow part was very hilarious. The ending was funny too. I give this episode a 10/10. I also gave Smoothe Jazz in Bikini Bottom a 10/10 too, even though there was Squid abuse in this episode.

What makes this episode funny is how mercilessly is subverts the very genre it got its title from. Even in the concept: SpongeBob and Patrick camping in their backyard instead of going in the woods and roughin' it. Then there's their version of the campfire song (The Campfire Song Song, which you should all have burned into your brains by now) and their version of the scary campfire story ("Once I met this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy..."). This episode shows what the writers can do when they're given a tired idea and given the freedom to mangle it until it's almost unrecognizable and they're being sent to the police station for questioning. o.o Okay, that was a very disturbing metaphor, but you get my point. This episode is an awesome example of the show's ability to take a cliché and make it into something new and memorable, and for that reason, The Camping Episode gets to camp out in my Top 5.

Looking back at this is just sad honestly, Squidward was trying to prove a point to get deserved peace and quiet on a nice evening, but because he's wrong (Seriously: Sea-Bears and fairy tales are real? Who would believe that title?) he gets mauled. He didn't know he was wrong, so in some way without realizing it he was trying to help SpongeBob and Patrick get over their fears of a supposedly non-existent creature, and he gets viciously attacked over and over to where it's beating a dead horse. I don't wanna delve into the sea-rhinoceros part, because people just don't know what OVERKILL is!  :rolleyes:

Besides that the episode was alright, nothing really spectacular as all the gags don't have much replay value to me. 5.5-6/10, yes I'm not kidding you here on this.

• Like 1

I haven't seen this episode in a while but I thought this episode was funny too. I also agree with Trophy. Too much Squid abuse in this episode but I'll ignore it because I've seen worse Squid abuse episodes than this. I thought the song was great and funny. I laughed so much when the sea bear kept attacking Squidward. The marshmallow part was very hilarious. The ending was funny too. I give this episode a 10/10. I also gave Smoothe Jazz in Bikini Bottom a 10/10 too, even though there was Squid abuse in this episode.

my old reviews suck SOOOOOOOOOO BAD.

Looking back at this is just sad honestly, Squidward was trying to prove a point to get deserved peace and quiet on a nice evening, but because he's wrong (Seriously: Sea-Bears and fairy tales are real? Who would believe that title?) he gets mauled. He didn't know he was wrong, so in some way without realizing it he was trying to help SpongeBob and Patrick get over their fears of a supposedly non-existent creature, and he gets viciously attacked over and over to where it's beating a dead horse. I don't wanna delve into the sea-rhinoceros part, because people just don't know what OVERKILL is!  :rolleyes:

Besides that the episode was alright, nothing really spectacular as all the gags don't have much replay value to me. 5.5-6/10, yes I'm not kidding you here on this.

Trophy, I respect your opinion.  But I'm confused where you got the because he's wrong from.  He got himself into this situation for talking himself into camping with SpongeBob and Patrick because he overthought and thought they were challenging him.  I wouldn't say that he was unintentionally trying to help SpongeBob and Patrick get over their fears.  He brought the sea bear attack onto himself because he was acting like a dick, not by not realizing he is helping.

Looking too far into this so I can understand where you are coming from, I can see your theory, but I still love this.  The Campfire Song Song, the fake newspapers, the marshmallow gag.  To me, the jokes and gags are all on point and yeah Squidward gets mauled, but hearing SpongeBob and Patrick shouting why he gets mauled over and over always gets me.

Still my all time favorite and always will be.

• Like 4

Looking too far into this so I can understand where you are coming from, I can see your theory, but I still love this.  The Campfire Song Song, the fake newspapers, the marshmallow gag.  To me, the jokes and gags are all on point and yeah Squidward gets mauled, but hearing SpongeBob and Patrick shouting why he gets mauled over and over always gets me.

Yeah but it doesn't need to do it for like what, a minute? It gets old fast for me, and it made me think way deeper than I should for a cartoon, but that's just me. :P

• Like 1

I've said this before on here but I'd rather do this in a clearer way since my 2015 self wasn't the best at fully elaborating.

This episode....really isn't good. The beginning is fine enough as is, nothing too special for pre-movie besides the song though, but that ending is complete and utter garbage. Squidward has legitimate reasons to believe that the sea-bear doesn't exist, simply wants to prove this to SpongeBob and Patrick so they aren't scared and so he can sleep, and what does he get for it? Getting mauled, multiple times nevertheless. Then the sea rhino comes in at the end just to imply that he gets it even worse because "haha seeing Squidward get brutally maimed multiple times in a row is funny and not at all sad" and cements this as my second least favorite pre-movie episode.

I really don't get how this one gets a free pass from people, I know humor is subjective and the rest of the episode can definitely be seen as funny but that ending is the absolute furthest thing I can think of from being humorous.. The only saving grace is that all of the attacking is done off screen so we only hear it. I don't truly hate this one but when the episode is given "Squidward Gets Mauled" as a working temporary title, one that it was deadset on making work as an effective title, I can't really respect it, and if it weren't for Pranks a Lot I'd have this as the worst pre-movie episode without a doubt. This one deserves absolutely no free passes whatsoever, and I'm baffled at the praise that it gets.