• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst SpongeBob Episodes

Clappy

Guess who knows Nuggets list? :smirk:

Why not make a late night update since I only did two today?

40. Funny Pants

381.png

42 points. 2 out of 17 lists. (#3 Lastchance)

One morning in Bikini Bottom, SpongeBob tells Squidward it's time for work, and says "another day another dollar" but Squidward says more like another nickel, which makes Spongebob laugh uncontrolably. Squidward then goes through a whole day at work with Spongebob laughing, and even at night. The next day at work, after Spongebob told the "nickel joke" to the customers, Squidward has decided he has had enough of SpongeBob's incessant laughter.

He then sees Spongebob hurting himself when he laughs, so he tricks him into believing that SpongeBob has a laugh-related illness. According to the made-up disease, if SpongeBob laughs one more time in the next 24 hours, his laugh box will explode and he will never laugh or giggle again. For the rest of the day, SpongeBob fights every single urge to chuckle. First, he sees Patrick trip over a banana peel several times, and runs away. Next, he sees that whoopee cushions are all over the town. Last, he sees a pie truck in an accident and some of the pie land on some fish. In a drastic measure, he buries himself to never be interrupted by a joke during the night.

The next morning, SpongeBob discovers that he has completely lost the ability to laugh. He tells Patrick that he has lost his laugh, but when Patrick looks inside SpongeBob and lights a match, he runs around in circles. Later, SpongeBob goes to the Krusty Krab to tell Mr. Krabs that he has lost his laugh. Mr. Krabs says that money always makes him laugh, but SpongeBob doesn't feel a tickle. SpongeBob consults Sandy, who is a scientist. Sandy gives SpongeBob books about laughter. SpongeBob reads the books, but still doesn't have any effect on his laugh box. Now utterly grief stricken, all SpongeBob can do is cry his eyes out, meaning more noise than ever.

Feeling guilty but still wanting peace and quiet, Squidward finally confesses to the sad SpongeBob, as the weeping has been more annoying than SpongeBob's giggles and after Squidward admits everything, SpongeBob laughs to see it has been a good joke and Squidward joins in the laughter. When Squidward says "You even fell for the thermometer in the boiling oil routine!" SpongeBob immediately stops laughing, and goes inside his house. When Squidward laughs too much, he is taken to the hospital. Later, it is revealed that Squidward has lost his laugh and the doctor points out that someone has given him half of their laugh box. It isn't Patrick, Sandy or Mr. Krabs; it was SpongeBob. Squidward starts to laugh like SpongeBob and runs out of the building. SpongeBob then says "Ah, there he goes off to share his laugh with the world", followed by his laughter.

Finally an episode that deserves some criticism. I should have included this episode on my list in retrospect. At first it was ok, but then it just drove itself into extremities. First the extremity of his laugh is unbearable. Too much of a good thing is never a good thing and I got absolutely sick of his laughter after the first minute. Then his crying, oh good lord his crying is obnoxious. I mean yeah it's understandable as to why he is tearing up, but they drive that into an extremity too. Not to mention the horrible plot twist involving Squidward breaking his laugh box. I just found this episode to be ridiculously obnoxious. The only things worth mentioning are Patrick slipping on the banana peel over and over. So I found it hilarious, big whoop, wanna fight about it? Oh and I guess the amusing slapstick with the whoopie cushions and pie truck were humorous too. Otherwise, one of the more overlooked horrible Season 4 episodes.

• Like 5

Yep, it's been a few years, but this episode is still terrible. It's like the writers wanted to have a contest to see if SpongeBob's laughing or crying would annoy people more. ProTip: Don't use "funny" in an episode title if it doesn't even attempt humour.

Don't see Nuggets hating this episode, tbh. Although I dislike it also.

While we ponder Nuggets thoughts, let's reveal another episode.

39. Squid Baby

spongebob-177a-krusty-krab-kindergarten-clip.jpg?quality=0.75

44 points. 4 out of 17 lists. (#8 Sabre)

Squidward is in the bathtub, listening to the radio, but is disturbed by SpongeBob and Partick who are playing with baby toys. SpongeBob and Patrick act like infants, then Squidward comes out and yells to them to stop making noise and act the right age. But he slips on a toy boatmobile, where his head lands on the scooter, which speeds into Squidward's mailbox, causing him to hit his head there, causing him to act like an infant himself.

A claim by doctor from clinic that Squidward that he developed a mental disorder called "head-go-boom-boom-itis" that means he is mentally and socially an infant but still aging as an adult. And is temporarily by doctor so his head safe from any blows to the same body part. Then chaos ensues as infant adult Squidward has to be watched over by two man children. Some of the lovely imagery we get to experience includes Squidward being a victim a series of unfortunate incidents, most involving Patrick; and also the lovely site of seeing Patrick lick food off of SpongeBob's face. DDDDEEEEEAAAUUUUGGGHHHH!!! Oh and while I complained about SpongeBob's crying in the last episode, Squid Baby's crying is mind numbing as is his laughing.

But guess what? It's time for Squid Baby shenanigans at the Krusty Krab. SpongeBOb brings Squidward to the cash register and puts him in a high chair. When Squidward blows his head on the cash register, SpongeBob duct-tapes him to the seat so he won't bang his head. When Mr. Krabs lets the customers in, Squidward sucks on a customer's hand and head and SpongeBob stops him. SpongeBob gives Squidward the order papers to write orders on, but Squidward instead doodles on them and throws them into the kitchen. SpongeBob asks him if it will be for there or to "goo". SpongeBob peeks out the order window and sees Squidward doodling on customer's faces. One of them scolds Squidward for not taking an order. Squidward types in something then he bangs his jaw on the cash register again and wails violently. SpongeBob thinks Squidward is crying because a customer yelled at him and SpongeBob tells him he outta be ashamed.

The customers notice the horrible stench of Squidward's dirty diaper and Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob to change it. Everywhere he goes to change Squidward's diaper, people are sitting or getting condiments from or walking on. Mr. Krabs tells him to go out back, where the food is prepared, and change it. The customers are disgusted and leave. Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob to get Squidward out of his restaurant. SpongeBob cries and tells Mr. Krabs if Squidward isn't welcome there, he's not staying either. He ends up slipping on Squidward's baby rattle and winds up in the kitchen, where he bangs Squidward's head on the frying pans and the fire machine.

Squidward falls and ice comes out of the machine and lands on Squidward's head, turning him back to normal. SpongeBob is relieved that Squidward is "grown up again" and a confused Squidward asks why he wouldn't be grown up. He notices that he's wearing a diaper and that it's full. When SpongeBob is about to tell Squidward that he was going to change him, Squidward tells SpongeBob to not say another word about that experience, ever. SpongeBob then replies, "Kids, they grow up so fast."

So yeah, as you can tell, I don't like this episode. I found Squid Baby to be obnoxious and the jokes fell flat on their face since most of them involved baby related humor and/or someone doing something to make Squid Baby cry. This bypassed my list since I didn't watch it until just recently. Kinda reminds me of a previous episode on this countdown...oh yeah Rock-a-Bye Bivalve. Except while Rock-a-Bye Bivalve didn't deserve to be on here, this does. I can't imagine any Season 9 episode being worse than this one. Hopefully I don't jinx it because S8 and S9 SpongeBob hasn't been too horrible to me at least.

• Like 2

Sorry if this next one is a bit rushed but I got called in to work due to the snow storm we have going on outside....and I can't turn down the extra hours when I need the money. :P

38. Breath of Fresh Squidward

tumblr_l5uoulWoVp1qbaxlqo1_400.gif

I love this GIF

45 points. 3 out of 17 lists. (#4 SOF)

SpongeBob and Patrick are at Squidward's house to watch the sunrise with him. After Squidward finds out that SpongeBob and Patrick have snuck into his room every morning to celebrate holidays like Easter, Valentine's Day, and the Fourth of July, it is told that his brain has a storm every time Squidward sees SpongeBob. His Happy Gland is forced to find shelter in his mind's recesses. But he gets the flu due to no recess deep enough, until the two leave. Three hours later, sunrise reaches, and the camera cuts to Squidward putting an electric fence around his house to separate the two. He tricks SpongeBob and Patrick into picnicing on a catapult, which he uses to fling them out of the fence. They surprisingly return, wanting to be catapulted again, resulting in Squidward asking them to exit resulting in him touching the doorknob of his fence, being electrocuted.

It turns out that Squidward's brain storm has gone away, and a rainbow replaces it, thus making Squidward nice. This continues on for the rest of the day, and even continues through the morning, such as waking SpongeBob up for work and flossing his teeth for him. At work, SpongeBob is surprised to see Squidward enter the kitchen, saying that he wanted to help SpongeBob work. SpongeBob promptly rejects this, and Squidward is called out front by Mr. Krabs. He gives Susie a free hat, then asks for free refills. This shocks Mr. Krabs, who either calls cheap food or back into the kitchen he goes. Squidward returns to the kitchen, even making a fresh batch of Krabby Patties, but SpongeBob rejects them, calling them "no good". He is stopped by Mr. Krabs when throwing them away, when he finds out Squidward has become a fry cook. Squidward says he wishes he could be employee of the month, SpongeBob already being employee of the month a gazillion times, but SpongeBob corrects him, saying a gazillion and six times. Mr. Krabs then barges in and shows SpongeBob a patty with a smiley face and dimples made out of ketchup. SpongeBob says Squidward made it, and Mr. Krabs loves the design and makes Squidward employee of the month, much to SpongeBob's horror. Patrick even arrives with a cake for the employee of the month award winner, which SpongeBob erases his name on the cake and replaces it with Squidwards.

Later, a party is thrown at Patrick's house due to Squidward being the new employee of the month. SpongeBob enrages after realizing that Squidward is pogo-dancing with Patrick, and ends up yelling at him and making him exit the party. Squidward attempts to enter his house again, but like earlier, he is electrocuted due to touching the doorknob. SpongeBob and Patrick come for SpongeBob to apologize for his harsh and rude behavior to Squidward, and SpongeBob slaps Squidward's hand, leading SpongeBob to getting electrocuted. Patrick joins too, saying "he wants to dance funny". The generator explodes and Squidward is returned back to his grumpy old self, but SpongeBob and Patrick's behavior change to Squidward's usual behavior as well.

I know it's been made clear so far that this list is making Nuggets cry. I have to say, this episode being ranked this high has made me cry a little on the inside. This is one of the few episodes I truly adore from Season 5 because you get to see a different side of Squidward that is truly enjoyable. I mean I know there are some moments that could be complained about like Squidward getting electrocuted, SpongeBob becoming a bit of a douche, SpongeBob's behavior changing quickly without much detail or explanation after snapping on Squidward. But you know what? I love this episode. So please, will someone explain to me what was so horrible about Breath of Fresh Squidward? I really would like to know how this episode got so many points. I'm not frustrated to have this on here, I'm just curious. :P

Squid Baby:

I actually liked Squid Baby a lot. I thought this episode was really clever. Instead of an episode where they could have just brought back Goo Goo Gas Squidward they decided to have Squidward have a mental illness. If that isn't original, I don't know what is. The montage with SpongeBob and Patrick taking care of Squidward reminded me so much of Rock-a-Bye Bivalve. They even had Patrick watching the coconut show in it! And besides references, I like how Patrick actually was responsible about taking care of a baby. You could see Patrick taking the night shifts and this wasn't just a revival of SpongeBob doing all the work mostly. That impressed me, because it shows that maybe Patrick is progressing his fatherhood skills from last time. But after the episode reached the Krusty Krab I felt it wasn't as strong and the diaper gag got old quickly.

Edited:

Fresh Breath of Squidward:

Wow, I thought this episode was really great. Sure SpongeBob was a little harsh, but I understand it. SpongeBob was more like Squidward and vice versa, now that's some real irony. Happy Squidward reminds me of a form of Squidly but even more chipper. This idea should have been done a while ago, so I'm glad they finally managed to do it. Like Patrick SmartPants, we all needed to see the opposite personality of the character. I really don't see how this episode could be on here at all.

Why does SpongeBob have to be happy-go-lucky all the time? I think this episode actually added to his character, rather than detracted from it. Maybe he was a little bit of a jerk, but it wasn't that bad.

• Like 1