• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst SpongeBob Episodes

Clappy

15. Waiting

300px-SpongeBob_Patrick_Waiting_for_Toy.JPG

I think the image compliments the episode nicely.

92 points. 9 out of 17 lists. (#3 Clappy)

SpongeBob discovers that his breakfast cereal has an offer for a free toy. Once he responds to the offer, he must wait patiently for the toy to arrive. SpongeBob is getting impatient, so he sets up camp right next to his mailbox, determined to be present when the mailman shows up with his treasure. He gets frustrated when Sandy and Gary distract him with karate and feeding, respectively, and SpongeBob pulls down his eye sockets saying: "So tired!". Then, his stomach is seen growling, and he says: "So hungry!", but eventually the toy arrives and Patrick "breaks" it, leaving SpongeBob furious. However, Squidward shows him later that its head, arms, and legs are supposed to spring off, and reattaches them.

I've got nothing. This is it. This is the epitome of filler. They wait...and wait...and wait...and wait and wait and wait and wait UNTIL YOU CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE. I'm sorry, but it's so incredibly frustrating that this became a plot idea. It's SpongeBob getting his panties in a twist about waiting for a stupid cereal box toy. Oh and btw, I am pretty sure that the crying lasted for at least two minutes. Horribly conceived, horribly executed, just horrible in all it's horribleness.

• Like 4

16. Trenchbillies

640830.jpg

90 points. 7 out of 17 lists. (#2 Sabre)

SpongeBob and Patrick are viewing jellyfish and it is revealed that they have been there for four days. They begin chasing a jellyfish. They then collide in mid-air before the jellyfish flies by them, they continue chasing the jellyfish, they don't watch where they are going and run off a cliff, they fall way down to a county-like village and land on a port-a-potty. Many of the trenchbillies gang up on SpongeBob and Patrick and capture them with a rope. They take them to Ma Angler, who says that they are "awfully pretty". Ma Angler orders them to an initiation, SpongeBob and Patrick question them and Ma Angler sentences them to a series of challenges, being: a banjo contest, "hoot in' and hollering" contest, and a wrestling match. SpongeBob and Patrick win the first two competitions but decline to the wrestling match, claiming that "they don't like to wrestle".

Ma Angler is suprised and asks them what they like to do for fun, SpongeBob claims that they like to jellyfish. They show the trenchbillies how to jellyfish and collide, once again. Ma Angler enjoys this. The trenchbillies laugh at them and call them dumb. Ma Angler certifies them as official honorary trenchbillies and gives them novelty teeth. SpongeBob gives a short speech and attempts to leave, however, they are stopped by a group of the trenchbillies. One of the trenchbillies, says that they have to take care of Ma Angler for the rest of their lives. SpongeBob and Patrick try to convince them to let them leave but the trenchbillies will not let them.

Meanwhile, at the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs and Squidward lightly chat, SpongeBob and Patrick burst through the door and the trenchbillies follow them. The trenchbillies destroy the Krusty Krab out of anger. Mr. Krabs, nervously, asks them for their orders, they all order something to eat. Mr. Krabs says that Ma Angler, who is eating a lot of Krabby Patties, will make "Customer of the Week" One of the trenchbillies sees that Mr. Krabs is making "goo-goo eyes at the Ma Angler" and as the episode ends, Mr. Krabs is forced to get married to Ma Angler.

Yeah this is just a horrendously bad episode. I had a feeling I was going to loathe this one when I walked in and my feelings were sure correct. Not only was the plot horrible, but it was slightly mean spirited. I mean I know the "or die" joke wouldn't happen, but that's kind of a dark moment for a kid's show like SpongeBob. Also, did anyone else find it bizarrely creepy that all the Trenchbillies had the same dumbed down expression and eyes? Made me quiver. Oh and thank you for abusing the redneck stereotyping in this episode. It's not like I live in one of the so called Southern states and that not all rednecks act the way the writers are making them out to be.

The angler sounds like my bus driver...

14. All That Glitters

474.png

98 points. 8 out of 17 lists. (#2 Wumbo)

During an intense day at work a customer ordered a monster Krabby Patty and SpongeBob feels shocked. As a result, Spat is crushed and smashed by SpongeBob starts crying like crazy. With his favorite kitchen implement out of commission, SpongeBob searches for a temporary replacement (even though he thought death fate spatula could replace Spat.) SpongeBob finds "Le Spatula", the latest in state-of-the-art cooking tool. The sleek and modern Le Spatula dazzles SpongeBob so completely that he will do anything to own one. But will this fancy gadget fill the void that was left by his old trusty spatula?

After selling everything, SpongeBob attains Le Spatula from the man from the store. He shows him off to Mr. Krabs, and, later, before he flips a patty, he refuses. He says it is disgusting, and that he and SpongeBob aren't friends at all. He then suddenly grows robotic legs and runs off. Mr. Krabs confronts SpongeBob, and SpongeBob runs off to the hospital, where old Spat lays. He suddenly runs out of life as SpongeBob watches, and SpongeBob cries in agony. Then a doctor appears, and, after some conversation, tells him that's not his spatula, and that Spat is in the infirmary. SpongeBob runs over to Spat, but Spat turns away from SpongeBob. SpongeBob cries he's sorry for buying Le Spatula, claiming it was his moment of weakness.

SpongeBob rolls in a fit of tears as he goes back to the Krusty Krab. He cries in the kitchen, but suddenly, he hears patties flipping, and sees Spat flipping Krabby Patties on the grill, and he cries in joy. Apparently, he forgave him. Suddenly, another Monster Krabby is ordered. The two try to hopefully succeed in flipping it. Suddenly, SpongeBob's arms break off. He ends up laughing, and the episode is over.

My thoughts? Someone give SpongeBob some anti-depressants. My god his excessive crying got ridiculously old ridiculously fast. I mean it's a freaking spatula. Clearly it isn't that important to him if he has gone through spatulas as fast as Kim Kardashian has gone through boyfriends. If there were any comical scenes, they were unrecognizable behind all the melodrama. Oh and nude SpongeBob has never felt so forced. Sorry 4EverGreen, but what was the point of having SpongeBob naked for half the episode? I mean it's just a stupid French talking spatula. Oh and even then, the French spatula is mean spirited to the point that you want to burn it's batteries completely out. Worst episode of Season 4 hands down...to me at least.

• Like 5

13. The Cent of Money

KRABS_DROOLING_OVER_MONEY.jpg

99 points. 7 out of 17 lists. (#4 Commander)

SpongeBob is taking Gary for a walk. They spot Mr. Krabs in a free parking spot. Gary gets a little spazzy so Mr. Krabs asks what's wrong. SpongeBob says that's what Gary does when he finds money. Mr. Krabs decides to take Gary to look for spare change all around town to feed his obsession for money. When SpongeBob asks what Mr. Krabs is doing with Gary, he just gives SpongeBob an impossible task (like painting the Krusty Krab with a toothbrush, or rearranging all the wall rivets from largest to smallest). Mr. Krabs collects money from people at the Krusty Krab, Goo Lagoon, and the Laundromat. He then finds an arcade and goes inside.

Mr. Krabs decides to disguise himself and Gary as a pregnant woman. Mr. Krabs tries to take everyone's money, but Gary is so worn out, that he can't attract money anymore, as doing so causes him pain. Meanwhile, SpongeBob is finished with his tasks, so he looks for Mr. Krabs, but the guy Mr. Krabs took money from tells SpongeBob that Mr. Krabs and "his snail" have been stealing money. SpongeBob finds Mr. Krabs and is mad at him for putting Gary through all that pain just for money. They begin to argue, but they get distracted as Gary involuntarily starts collecting all of the money in the arcade (even from inside the game macines themselves!) The huge amount money forms a massive wave of coins, which begin sliding towards all the Bikini Bottomites in an avalanche sort of fasion.

Everyone tries to exit the arcade to avoid being swept away, except for Mr. Krabs, who runs toward the large wave of coins in a fit of money madness and gets literally crushed by them. Mr. Krabs ends up in the hospital. After discussing what happened to Mr. Krabs, SpongeBob asks what caused Gary to begin attracting money. The doctor discovers that he had swallowed SpongeBob's Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy fridge magnet, which had quite a strong magnetic pull. When the doctor points out the bill to Mr. Krabs, he responds that he doesn't have enough to make his payment. The doctor corrects him by mentioning that all the change he collected with Gary would cover it, prompting Mr. Krabs to yell "Nooooooooooo!" in defeat as the episode ends.

Oh guess what? Mr. Krabs loves money. Let's see how much further we can take this trait and take advantage of one of the main characters. I feel absolutely sorry over the way Krabs treated poor Gary. I mean Jesus man, you could have just used a regular magnet instead of taking advantage of a poor snail. I mean there are far worse episodes where I couldn't stand how the writers overutilized Krabs money obsession, but I agree with why this episode gets it's fair share of criticism. However, there is one more greedy Krabs episode to come up next that I think over-saturates Krabs greed to absolute overexertion.

• Like 5

I don't know. I really don't mind "The Cent of Money" (in fact, I actually rather like it). The plot is pretty original, there are some really great gags, it was visually exciting, Spongebob stood up for himself and the twist at the end was not that bad. I definitely don't think it deserves that spot...

Aw man, Waiting was my prediction for #1. Still awful, awful episodes. All three of them. My problem with The Cent of Money, however, was SpongeBob being a completely oblivious moron*. "Oh, my snail's obviously crying out for help but LA LA LA I'M AN IDIOT." He stood up for himself eventually, which didn't bring that episode higher than 14 for me, but the rest of it sucked. I am surprised that it beat out Waiting and All That Glitters though (let's not get me started on the latter).

Spoiler

Curiously, my #1 pick has the same problem... except blast it into overdrive. Ultimate overdrive. I'll leave it at that until it shows up.

• Like 2

12. Penny Foolish

366834.jpg

103 points. 7 out of 17 lists. (#4 Sauce)

While at a discount store one day, Mr. Krabs spots SpongeBob picking something up, and Mr. Krabs thinks it is a perfectly good penny, but he decides it was just a penny, so he forces himself to forget about it. But on the way home from town, every time he sees something circular, he keeps having visions of pennies, and becomes obsessed. The next day he asks SpongeBob if he found anything, only for SpongeBob to reply that he found a brand new day, not a Penny.

Time and time again he tries to crack SpongeBob to give him the penny, until finally he builds a theater behind the Krusty Krab, and he makes admission a penny, so he will get SpongeBob's penny, but he does not have one, so in frustration he destroys the theater. Mr. Krabs decides he will have a show at the Krusty Krab, to show how he does not have a penny, but SpongeBob still does not have one, so Mr. Krabs breaks. Later, he breaks into SpongeBob's house with a metal detector to find the penny, and when SpongeBob comes in, he shows him it was not a penny, but a chewed up piece of gum, for his gum collection, Mr. Krabs leaves and SpongeBob discovers that it is a $500 dollar bill, meanwhile Mr. Krabs is still digging for the penny, all over Bikini Bottom.

Ugh stupid, stupid, stupid. Worst abuse of Mr. Krabs character traits. I mean we have seen Mr. Krabs act like a jerk about a penny before, but this? Talk about taking it to an extremity? Oh and the ending. SpongeBob wouldn't be that naive about a 500 dollar bill. I mean what the hell? But yeah, there isn't much to say about this episode. It's just Mr. Krabs being ridiculously obsessed, SpongeBob being completely naive. Nothing funny. Nothing memorable. Just boredom.

• Like 7

Honestly never got the hate for All That Glitters. I understand that it's a freaking spatula, but when you take that out of consideration, it has some good jokes and decent characterization.

Show me the good jokes and decent characterization in SpongeBob crying like this for half the episode:

• Like 2