• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst SpongeBob Episodes

Clappy

Ladies and gentlemen. Another controversial episode.

20. The Splinter

366837.jpg

85 points. 5 out of 17 lists. (#1 MichaelMN)

The Krusty Krab opens at a seemingly average morning and SpongeBob is extremely happy. He gets the Krabby Patties ready and soon gets an order of two Krabby Patties plus an insult from Squidward, which is to no effect. His excitement eventually causes him to accidentally throw his spatula into the ceiling and when trying to get it out, he falls, nearly being injured by scissors and swords. Upon landing, all is well but he trips. His thumb drags across the wooden floor and rams into a small slab that breaks in half, giving him a splinter that immediately makes his thumb red and swollen. His weak arms keep him from getting it out and even biting it didn't work. The customer that ordered earlier is getting impatient and the splinter keeps SpongeBob from holding the spatula needed to serve him. He decides to tie it on his nose and Squidward soon finds out about it.

Squidward then convinces SpongeBob that he will get sent home by Mr. Krabs if he sees the splinter and flushes his hat and spatula. SpongeBob begs Squidward not to get him sent home, but is unsuccessful. Squidward also hints that he'll tell Mr. Krabs about the splinter. After Squidward gets his full enjoyment about the situation, Mr. Krabs drives a customer away with his cheap behavior. SpongeBob calls Patrick to get treated for it, but the treatment only ends up with his splinter further into his thumb, making it swell more and even infecting it. SpongeBob soon runs into Mr. Krabs and Squidward. Mr. Krabs soon sees the splinter and takes it out, curing him and causing an eruption of pus to impact Mr. Krabs. Squidward discovers that he could get sent home early and still get paid by getting injured, called worker's compensation, so he tries to injure himself, only to find out his shift had ended two minutes ago.

Ah yes, another controversial episode. For some reason, this episode has found a new life after going through years of punishment as being declared the worst SpongeBob episode of all time. Now people are defending it saying "OMG THE SPLINTER IS NOT THAT BAD GAIZ". People are defending it because they don't think The Splinter is really all that gross. They also find the plot to be average and the jokes to be really funny.

Well you guys...I'm not one of those people. I have and will always loathe this episode. Let me get this out of the way first, the splinter itself is not even the worst part of the episode. Yeah sure these guys made it as disgusting look as possible, but you can only get away with gross out humor for so long. I mean it's obnoxious how the focal point resolves around the splinter in general, that the animation and gross out humor that revolves around it is just a bonus feature to the laziness that is the splinter's focus.

I want to look at the other portions of this episode. How is the plot even deemed average now? SpongeBob gets a splinter and freaks out because he doesn't want to file worker's compensation. Dude, that means you get paid for a work related injury. Is this really what the plots have come to? It's one of the laziest plot devices I've ever seen this show conceive. Oh and the jokes are not funny either. How SpongeBob tried to free his spatula was not funny. How he got the splinter was even worse. Him trying to hide the splinter was not funny. The inclusion of Patrick was even worse. You sensing a common theme here? The jokes go from not funny to worse for me. Even Squidward injuring himself two minutes after his shift is not funny to me anymore and that was the only joke I could tolerate from this episode the first time I saw it.

So in conclusion, you guys who think The Splinter is not as bad as others make it out to be, that's fine. I still loathe this episode, but to each, his own opinion. But people shouldn't be surprised The Splinter still has it's haters out there and that it's inclusion on this list was more than expected.

• Like 1

Since I have a busy afternoon ahead of me, going to post another one now.

19. SpongeHenge

tumblr_l3ye0n0T2h1qbaxlqo1_400.gif

85 points. 8 out of 17 lists. (#7 Sauce)

One day, a harsh, powerful windstorm occurs in Bikini Bottom. A married couple were coming outside of the Diner, and their bag of leftovers flew and hit SpongeBob in the face, causing him to look out the window. Then the winds blow through SpongeBob's holes, and makes music. Swarms of jellyfish are attracted to it, so SpongeBob hides in a cave for a long period of time. Eventually, SpongeBob makes several stone replicas, which produce better and louder music, to make sure that the jellyfish will leave him alone. He succeeds, so he runs to the Krusty Krab only to discover that the winds have caused it to be engulfed in sand. He says, "How long have I been gone?!", and yells out, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!"...

Three thousand years later, a race of strange cyborgs (presumably of alien origin) have appeared in Bikini Bottom. The SpongeBob statues have become a major tourist attraction. They wonder who made the statues, and why they were made. The only clue was that the sound the wind turns into entertains and attracts jellyfish.

I was legit surprised by the amount of hatred this episode had. I mean 8 lists? Wow, Semi-spoiler alert but half of the episodes in the Top 10 didn't even make that many lists. To me, SpongeHenge was one of the Season 5 episodes that didn't really have enough for me to like, but not enough to hate either. It was just there. I would call it a forgettable episode, but that darn musical tune makes it hard not to forget. I guess if I can criticize anything, it's the fact that this episode was eleven minutes long and not much happened. It also dragged a lot, especially during the cave bits. I mean when SpongeBob asked how long he was in that cave for, it was probably an intentional riff at how much of the episode dragged during that cave sequence. But yeah, wow. Still can't get over eight lists.

• Like 2

"OMG THE SPLINTER IS NOT THAT BAD GAIS". But seriously I use to dislike The Splinter too. But now I've seen parts like the beginning "PS SpongeBob you're an idiot love Squidward" is in my opinion one of the greatest lines on the show. Which has changed my opinion on this. It's true I didn't like how Patrick wasn't helping at all, but he didn't really help SB either in the Suds. By the way I loved seeing Dr. Patrick again. So this episode is half and half with me.

Spongehenge was always confusing to me as a kid. I never really got the reference this episode was trying to create. So naturally I was really upset to see SB loose the KK. The whole episode makes me feel sorry for him.

• Like 2

18. Dear Vikings

357710.jpg

88 points. 8 out of 17 lists. (#1 Sauce)

Mr. Krabs creates a "promotion" to the Krusty Krab by selling Regular, Large and Viking Sized Drinks (which are all the same size = LOLOLOLNO) in a bid to save the restaurant money yet to fool the customers. He also states whoever purchases a Viking Sized cup tries on a cardboard helmet that he found in his attic. This gets SpongeBob interested in Vikings. Squidward then teaches him about Vikings, though it's all lies. Then SpongeBob sends a letter to the Vikings, then a garbageman, who apparently is a viking, delivers the letter to the Viking Chief. He then sends his men to the Krusty Krab to teach them about the Vikings which is redecorating, appropriating, and liberating...and of course they kidnap SpongeBob and Squidward. Then the they introduce themselves as Gordan and a bunch of Olafs. SpongeBob then asks what they do for fun, which is just throwing a shield, then one says they like to sing songs, and then he's thrown off the boat.

Then, they make SpongeBob their new head chef and, after a speech, they make Squidward their bathroom attendant. Squidward then wants off their ship, but SpongeBob tries to stop them. Then he has to duel Gordan but can't pick up his weapon and suddenly the ship hits an iceberg. The Vikings all go panic, but SpongeBob tells them that it's just a hole and they have to fix it. The problem is they don't know how. SpongeBob then fires himself at the hole, stopping the ship from sinking. The Vikings cheer and SpongeBob ends the episode with the quote "Now that's what I call a Viking-sized adventure!"

Yet another eight lister. However, I find this one is more than deserving compared to SpongeHenge. How was this nominated for an Emmy? Even before the nomination process, this was a horribly unrealistic episode that just dragged on and on. If you want to include vikings in an underwater reality, that's fine. But the execution could have been done so much better than it was handled. I sure hope SpongeBob learned something about vikings because I sure didn't. Oh and executing your plot with less than two minutes to spare? That's what I call lazy writing and the resolution is easily one of the dumbest plot resolutions executed on SpongeBob. I feel horrible for Ian McShane. The guy is an underrated actor who deserves to have guest spotted on a much better episode than this.

• Like 2

17. Cephalopod Lodge

cephalopod-lodge-1.jpg

89 points. 6 out of 17 lists. (#1 SOF)

SpongeBob sees that Squidward is actually smiling one day, so he and Patrick decide to spy on him and see why his so happy. That night, Squidward goes into a strange lodge, in which SpongeBob and Patrick intrude into to. Squidward puts on a costume, and hangs out with the other members of Cephalopod Lodge. WhenSpongeBob and Patrick decide to join in the festivities, Squidward is held accountable for this and is banned for life. SpongeBob and Patrick then start their own club, much to the annoyance of Squidward, who begs that he wants to be let back into Cephalopod Lodge. SpongeBob and Patrick want to help, so they dress up as a sock monster so they can scare the members while Squidward "saves" them. Their plan works, and Squidward is let back in. But when SpongeBob and Patrick take off the sock and reveal themselves, Squidward is again kicked out.SpongeBob and Patrick decide to go back to the "their lodge" idea, but first they need to do the initiation onSquidward, which is putting a jellyfish on your tongue and letting it sting you.

Another episode that was at one point in the running for number one. I can definitely agree that this was a bad episode. Not horrible, but bad. Some of the squid designs weren't all that great while the plot was somewhat like a re-hashing of Good Neighbors to me as SpongeBob and Patrick ruin Squidward's day, then try to make a club to make Squidward feel important. You guys may think it doesn't sound like Good Neighbors to you, but it sure does to me. However, I found Good Neighbors to be funny *ducks* while I find the humor to be lacking in this one. Oh and their one big joke (aka the giant sock) was not all that funny. It was more weird than anything else.

• Like 3

Color me guilty, but I'm not particularly fond of this episode, either. There were few or minimal laughs and I felt really sorry for Squidward. He has something ruined once again by the antics of his neighbors and this time, it was something that truly added value to his miserable life. The remainder of the episode is just failed attempts to get back into the lodge (I did find the sock gag and chicken suit gag amusing, though). The Squid sabotage may have been worse in Boating Buddies, but it was funnier IMO and it had a more interesting plot.

• Like 1

Color me guilty, but I'm not particularly fond of this episode, either. There were few or minimal laughs and I felt really sorry for Squidward. He has something ruined once again by the antics of his neighbors and this time, it was something that truly added value to his miserable life. The remainder of the episode is just failed attempts to get back into the lodge (I did find the sock gag and chicken suit gag amusing, though). The Squid sabotage may have been worse in Boating Buddies, but it was funnier IMO and it had a more interesting plot.

Sure!

16. Trenchbillies

640830.jpg

90 points. 7 out of 17 lists. (#2 Sabre)

SpongeBob and Patrick are viewing jellyfish and it is revealed that they have been there for four days. They begin chasing a jellyfish. They then collide in mid-air before the jellyfish flies by them, they continue chasing the jellyfish, they don't watch where they are going and run off a cliff, they fall way down to a county-like village and land on a port-a-potty. Many of the trenchbillies gang up on SpongeBob and Patrick and capture them with a rope. They take them to Ma Angler, who says that they are "awfully pretty". Ma Angler orders them to an initiation, SpongeBob and Patrick question them and Ma Angler sentences them to a series of challenges, being: a banjo contest, "hoot in' and hollering" contest, and a wrestling match. SpongeBob and Patrick win the first two competitions but decline to the wrestling match, claiming that "they don't like to wrestle".

Ma Angler is suprised and asks them what they like to do for fun, SpongeBob claims that they like to jellyfish. They show the trenchbillies how to jellyfish and collide, once again. Ma Angler enjoys this. The trenchbillies laugh at them and call them dumb. Ma Angler certifies them as official honorary trenchbillies and gives them novelty teeth. SpongeBob gives a short speech and attempts to leave, however, they are stopped by a group of the trenchbillies. One of the trenchbillies, says that they have to take care of Ma Angler for the rest of their lives. SpongeBob and Patrick try to convince them to let them leave but the trenchbillies will not let them.

Meanwhile, at the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs and Squidward lightly chat, SpongeBob and Patrick burst through the door and the trenchbillies follow them. The trenchbillies destroy the Krusty Krab out of anger. Mr. Krabs, nervously, asks them for their orders, they all order something to eat. Mr. Krabs says that Ma Angler, who is eating a lot of Krabby Patties, will make "Customer of the Week" One of the trenchbillies sees that Mr. Krabs is making "goo-goo eyes at the Ma Angler" and as the episode ends, Mr. Krabs is forced to get married to Ma Angler.

Yeah this is just a horrendously bad episode. I had a feeling I was going to loathe this one when I walked in and my feelings were sure correct. Not only was the plot horrible, but it was slightly mean spirited. I mean I know the "or die" joke wouldn't happen, but that's kind of a dark moment for a kid's show like SpongeBob. Also, did anyone else find it bizarrely creepy that all the Trenchbillies had the same dumbed down expression and eyes? Made me quiver. Oh and thank you for abusing the redneck stereotyping in this episode. It's not like I live in one of the so called Southern states and that not all rednecks act the way the writers are making them out to be.

• Like 3

"The Splinter" and "Cephalopod Lodge" are BOTH really terrible episodes that bring shame and disgrace on actually GOOD episodes of "Spongebob Squarepants;" though how "Spongehenge" managed to end up on ANYBODY'S list, let alone eight, is beyond me! o.o I find it enjoyable enough. :) Enough said! ;)