• Advertisement

077a. Driven to Tears

Jjs Goodman

This episode was honestly OK. You're probably disagreeing with me already, but I will admit PATRICK HAD UTTER OBLIVIOUSNESS TO THE MAX. There was actually a little humor here, but this episode was overall OK.

I liked the idea, but the actual episode wasn't great. It didn't really make sense that Patrick, a complete idiot, would be better at driving than SpongeBob.

Not true, because if you remember the episode "Boating School," Patrick was shown to be HELPING Spongebob with the driving part of the Boating Exam by COACHING him, and nearly HELPING Spongebob pass the test to get his driver's license. So it actually makes sense that Patrick COULD pass the test very easily and be able to do great at being able to drive a boat!  :o Everyone is good at different things, so Patrick being good at driving boats is obviously his thing! :D Enough said! ;)

I really hated Patrick in this episode but to be honest, I actually liked this episode. I know Patrick was a jerk in this episode but to be honest, this episode really made me laugh and I've seen worse Patrick episodes than this. I also liked the reference to "Have You Seen This Snail" and SpongeBob's parents' cameos. Some parts made me laugh like Patrick driving his car around his house, the drive thru part, Patrick running through 3 red lights, SpongeBob ripping Patrick's license and the ending. I rate this episode 8/10

This episode gets too much hate even to this day, so I decided to post my more complete thoughts on it here. This episode showed how flawed both Patrick and SpongeBob are. SpongeBob was always superior to Pat in every way (look at Big Pink Loser) yet Patrick can perfectly drive from the first try, while SpongeBob himself can't. He didn't got used to being inferior in something in ther friendship, so understandbly he gets annoyed and jealous with Pat really fast. Meanwhile, Patrick haven't achieved in his life much, so him getting license and boat feels like a big accomplishment to him. OF COURSE Patrick rabs this small "victory" to SpongeBob's face, because SpongeBob does that unawerengly every day, going to the job, having purpose in life, accomplishing many-many things. While he is dumb, can't achieve anything and incredibly lazy. (Even when Patrick wasn't obnoxious with his achievement, SpongeBob actually STARTED OUT being jealous and passive-aggresitve to him)  

This episode has no right or wrong side, both sides are heavily flawed. This is the mose nuanced episodes in the entire show having really realistic and three-dimensional conflict that tests SpogneBob's and Patrick's friendship really well. This episode is heavily overlooked and deserves more recognition.

• Like 2

It's rare for me to state another opinion about the same episode, but I feel that this episode has now been more vindicated by history, thanks to the episode segment of "Farmerpants". In that episode, Patrick Star was shown to still HAVE his Driver's License he got in this episode, so this episode can now be confirmed to happen in actual show continuity! :D And also, I don't think I've ever given a proper rating for this episode before. I'll give it a 9.6 out of 10. Enough said! ;)

• God Himself 1

2 hours ago, 4EverGreen said:

It's rare for me to state another opinion about the same episode, but I feel that this episode has now been more vindicated by history, thanks to the episode segment of "Farmerpants". In that episode, Patrick Star was shown to still HAVE his Driver's License he got in this episode, so this episode can now be confirmed to happen in actual show continuity! :D And also, I don't think I've ever given a proper rating for this episode before. I'll give it a 9.6 out of 10. Enough said! ;)

Patrick's license was referenced (albeit indirectly) in Burst your bubble too. Patrick has boatmobile.

On 1/26/2019 at 11:59 PM, Klu said:

Patrick's license was referenced (albeit indirectly) in Burst your bubble too. Patrick has boatmobile.

I forgot about that one. I guess I should watch it again (if it EVER comes on again) to make sure.