• Advertisement

Teen Titans Go!

Shark Tale

Am I the only one that feels opinions are being forced whenever CN does the "Teen Titans Go!, your new favorite show"? I mean it's fine if you wanna promote your content, however that's pushing things. You don't see Nick doing "Spongebob Squarepants, your new favorite show", that's for sure.

I feel the same way, that or they're just trying to assault our minds with subliminal messaging. But it's also a lie, Steven Universe is my favorite show.

• Like 1

Bletch. This show that is clearly made for kids is too childish and has barely anything resembling to something it never even was trying to be. Therefore, I absolutely fucking despise it.

So many mixed emotions I have about this comment. I understand you wanting to make fun of people getting on this show for the wrong reasons like not being like the original, but this part...

"This show that is clearly made for kids is too childish"

I simply can not let slide without giving a rebuttal. I'll start by telling you that the creators of the show would love you. That is their ace-in-the-hole defense for this show. And it falls flat on its ass. First of all, it's TV-PG. I don't care if it's intended for kids, it's still not what you would call "kids show" material. Second, being a kids show is not an excuse for being childish. There's a difference between being kid-friendly and childish. Kid-friendly means that it's appropriate for and appealing to children. That's a good thing. Childish means that it's pandering and trying to appeal only to children by behaving like a child. That's a bad thing. Why? Because if no one likes it besides the children, it's going to have absolutely no lasting appeal. Why's that? Because kids become adults. Kids are going to grow up, look back on this show, and realize that it's terrible. That's why only aiming for kids does not work. You can not use "IT'S A KIDS SHOW" as an excuse for being juvenile. You can not create great, lasting art with that attitude.

• Like 4

First off, I am terribly confused on the TV-PG rating. It has to be some sort of contractual obligation or something.

Secondly... I think I've heard that "Just because it's for kids doesn't mean it has to be pandering" argument somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it. Deviantart? Thetoptens? Cartoon Palooza? Mr Enter? Okay, probably Enter but I don't see any pandering in this show. If anything, I see the creators wanting to have fun with the characters they have at their disposal by putting a funny spin on them. The show just wants to have fun, so let it have fun.

First off, I am terribly confused on the TV-PG rating. It has to be some sort of contractual obligation or something.

Secondly... I think I've heard that "Just because it's for kids doesn't mean it has to be pandering" argument somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it. Deviantart? Thetoptens? Cartoon Palooza? Mr Enter? Okay, probably Enter but I don't see any pandering in this show. If anything, I see the creators wanting to have fun with the characters they have at their disposal by putting a funny spin on them. The show just wants to have fun, so let it have fun.

First off, it's just Cartoon Network asking the creators of their programming to "up the TV-Y7 stuff". If they up the content, then logically, the programming gets a higher rating. It's not contract-related as far as I know. And yes, TTG does have some TV-PG level content, like an offscreen death with a guy getting stabbed through his head with a scythe.

Secondly, there is indeed pandering to children in this show. Fart jokes, booger jokes, toilet humor, and a dash of cooties for good measure, and I can show you the episodes I've watched that have such pandering if you don't believe me. I don't have a problem with the creators having fun with the characters, but if their idea of having fun with them is making them all the same, interchangeable terrible character who will do anything to make whatever stupid plot they want to do work, then I can in no way call that a "funny spin". I'd let it have fun...if it was actually fun.

I don't know if you're just playing devil's advocate or if you're legitimately defending this show. Whichever it is, it doesn't matter to me. If people are just providing legitimate reasons to dislike this show, let them have their opinion.

• Like 2

Secondly, there is indeed pandering to children in this show. Fart jokes, booger jokes, toilet humor, and a dash of cooties for good measure, and I can show you the episodes I've watched that have such pandering if you don't believe me. I don't have a problem with the creators having fun with the characters, but if their idea of having fun with them is making them all the same, interchangeable terrible character who will do anything to make whatever stupid plot they want to do work, then I can in no way call that a "funny spin". I'd let it have fun...if it was actually fun.

I know many other children who doesn't like gross out humour so it's not really appealing to anyone. It's just appealing to stereotypes that big networks think children are like and would want to see.

I have no idea why people get so up and arms about this particular show. I mean, I can see fans of the 2003 Teen Titans getting butthurt initially, but for that butthurt to last more than two goddamned years? We don't give stuff like Breadwinners the light of day, why is it so difficult for us to ignore this? No, CN spamming it through its schedule isn't a valid excuse, especially when all your favorite shows are literally at the tip of your fingers nowadays. And anyone who treats the "your new favorite show"  slogan as more than an innocuous rhyme (because it rhymes with "Teen Titans Go"...) is being absolutely ridiculous.

Regardless of the actual quality of the show (or lack thereof), I ought to think the hundreds- no, thousand whiners have better things to do than bitch about a children's cartoon. Not even a fan of the show myself, but people like this almost make me want to like it, just to avoid being associated with the basement-dwellers. This has less to do with you guys, and more to do with this "hatedom" in general.

• Like 1

I have no idea why people get so up and arms about this particular show. I mean, I can see fans of the 2003 Teen Titans getting butthurt initially, but for that butthurt to last more than two goddamned years? We don't give stuff like Breadwinners the light of day, why is it so difficult for us to ignore this? No, CN spamming it through its schedule isn't a valid excuse, especially when all your favorite shows are literally at the tip of your fingers nowadays. And anyone who treats the "your new favorite show"  slogan as more than an innocuous rhyme (because it rhymes with "Teen Titans Go"...) is being absolutely ridiculous.

Regardless of the actual quality of the show (or lack thereof), I ought to think the hundreds- no, thousand whiners have better things to do than bitch about a children's cartoon. Not even a fan of the show myself, but people like this almost make me want to like it, just to avoid being associated with the basement-dwellers. This has less to do with you guys, and more to do with this "hatedom" in general.

Well...

I think it's more of a thing where as long as crap is still on the air, it's going to get criticized...as crap. Tons of fans have lost interest in shows like The Simpsons and Family Guy with their decline in quality, as proven by their decline in ratings. However, they are still low-quality shows, and people, regardless of being former fans of them or not, are going to criticize them as such. A bad show...is a bad show. I'm also sure shows like Breadwinners still get a good share of flack (I even remember when people on the internet were making it out to be the worst thing that had ever happened to the animation world), even if we don't see that flack anywhere near as often as we do for this show. I don't see a show like Uncle Grandpa getting ragged on often, but that in no way means that there are no people on the internet who flip shit over it. Also, keep in mind that groups of people who complain about TV shows on the internet, no matter how large they may seem to be, are a minority. Only a very small percentage of the world can be classified as "internet geeks". If I didn't know any better, I would say that most Teen Titans fans who initially got butthurt over this show have moved on.

I understand you being irritated with the hate of the show that is unjustified. However, people do have better things to do with their time than whine about a children's show. Hell, even criticizing a show on the internet fairly is something many just see as a simple hobby. This is all just a phase. You are guaranteed to not see a thousand people whining about this show on the internet after this show ends. Finally, don't ever let obnoxious haters affect your opinion of anything. As long as your reasons for not liking the show are justifiable, you will not be associated with them.

• Like 1

Why should this only apply to children's cartoons? Flipping out over any cartoon or live-action show constantly is a little much.

As for TTG, I just don't care about it now. Do I still think it's unfunny? Yes. But I'm not that interested in talking about it anymore.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, travisplatypus said:

i must be the only one here who actually likes this show 

If you guessed by the posts I made above, you're not alone.

Like, I doubt 1/2 of the hate of the show would be here if it didn't have the Teen Titans name on it (and overpromotion - seriously, why do they air it so much). I mainly pretend they're expies and have fun with the show.

This show is alright, but it can often be obnoxious and irritating. That said, I don't condone attacking the staff of the show. A lot of them have no control over the content in it and some even enjoy working on it (there's a thing called opinions). I do agree that the excessive marketing for the show is obscene, but I think CN's partly doing it to get a rise out of the haters. And even then, the show gets the best ratings on the network so it's no shock they promote it the most. I think watching it out of hatred like I've seen some people do is incredibly dumb and you're helping the ratings, which keeps the show afloat.

Enough rambling.

Screw what everyone thinks this show is hilarious and they're background gags are ridiculous.

Teen Titans Go! Robin

Hush's bandages? Jason Todd's urn AND the crowbar he got killed with? Renuyu? I think that's all hilarious. 

And the yearbooks?
https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/5599540.html

Dr. Manhattan and Rorschach and Red Hood and Damian hitting on Starfire and Batgirl telling her to back off and Bruce Wayne commenting on Batman's note? That's great stuff.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, terminoob said:

And Weird Al continues his quest of voice acting in pretty much all cartoons currently airing :P Maybe that'll actually get me to watch another episode of this show out of curiosity for his role.