• Advertisement

THQ Stops Making SB Games

Jjs Goodman

Bad news today for you, SpongeBob.

THQ today announced that it plans to stop selling kids’ licensed video games, focusing instead on its own core video game franchises and digital initiatives.

“As part of the alignment, THQ is in the process of exiting its relationships with kids’ licensed entertainment companies but will continue to sell certain previously released titles,” the company said.

The company’s kids games include titles based on SpongeBob and other TV properties

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/01/25/thq-to-exit-kids-game-market-what-now-for-spongebob/

Yikes...I wonder what this means for the future of SpongeBob Games?

While I was never that big a fan of SpongeBob games, this is unfortunate news for the SB game fan base.

Maybe they will get picked up by some other third party company that churns out games based off other established properties?

I also read that THQ is in some trouble financially. Considering they discontinued the udraw tablet because of poor sales (except on Wii) it hit them hard on the casual market that they normally focus on; so moving to another market might give them better chances at success since Saints Row and Darksiders have been selling much better than their other non-core games.

Guest hilaryfan80

I'm pretty sure that the SpongeBob games won't die for sure. It might actually be a good thing: maybe some other game company will make a new SpongeBob game that's completely different than the others -- it may spark something new. :)

I'm pretty sure that the SpongeBob games won't die for sure. It might actually be a good thing: maybe some other game company will make a new SpongeBob game that's completely different than the others -- it may spark something new. :)

-and better ^^

Man, I am very disappointed about this. The SpongeBob games (and the Nicktoon Unite games) would always come out a few weeks before my birthday, and I always enjoyed playing them when I got them for a gift.

I really hope some other company decides to make them. But who knows if they'd be just as good.