• Advertisement

074a. Bummer Vacation

person

discuss this episode here. i loved it. one of my favorite post movie episodes. felt classic and fresh like seasons 2 and 3. as a matter of fact, it could have been an episode of season 2 or 3. my favorite part was when spongebob had a krusty krab play set with action figure dolls and did the exact same thing as what happened back at the krusty krab. THAT WAS LULZ. HE SPENT PART OF HIS VACATION PLAYING OUT HOW HE GOT KICKED OUT OF WORK AND SENT ON VACATION. that was clever, unique, and creative of the writers to do something like that. that's what made the episode. it was so hilarious. he was playing with the mr krabs action figure and had him say "spongebob out out out until your vacation is over" and had the action figure of himself say "what to do on this boring vacation." LOL. that was season 2-3 classic standard. just what this show needs.

I loved this episode! One of my favorites! And yes it was laid back and fresh, and it did feel like the classic episodes! My favorite part was when Spongebob was watching the clouds:

"That one's a jellyfish! Ooh that's a pirate ship. And that one a low sal- woooooah LOW SALT KETCHUP?!"

lol love that ep :) 8/10

In my opinion, this was an O.K. episode... although if I had not seen it at such a young age (I was around eight or nine when this episode premiered in the UK), I would perceive this episode to be mediocre at best. So, this episode has SORT OF a place in my heart. The things that really dampened my opinions of this episode when I came to re-watch it again were the mundane plot, character flanderization and just the overall pace of the episode, amongst other negative aspects which I will dive into shortly. 

The animation in this episode is, bluntly put, crap. SpongeBob's appearance differs radically in almost every scene. This is particularly prominent during the beginning, in which SpongeBob's eyes are drawn to ridiculous, unrealistic proportions. 

Piled atop that, we have the titular character's new, higher-pitched voice. It boggles my mind to no end why Tom Kenny even had the faintest idea of changing his voice for the character, when the old one fit him JUST fine. This is compounded by the PAL speedup introduced by the UK's broadcast of the episode, in which ALL audio is noticeably higher-pitched than its United States counterpart. I swear, if a SpongeBob fan from the United States who only watched episodes from Seasons 1-3 emigrated to the United Kingdom and flicked on Nick UK to a new episode of the show, he'd wonder if he had taken any drugs... as if the difference in SpongeBob's voice wasn't noticeable enough already. 

In spite of my complaints with this episode, I rate this episode a 5.5/10.  Of course, as I mentioned in my opening paragraph, if I had not seen this episode at a younger age, I would rate this episode less.

• Like 2

I feel this episode actually overexagerates Spongebob's love for the Krusty Krab a little. Of course he can stay away from the Krusty Krab! OK, maybe he's grown to adore it to the point that....aw forget it. Anyways, "I've been waiting for you Patrick" actually gave me a couple nightmares a few years ago, but it didn't anywhere as bad a mark as the giant talking baby from Angelica's Worst Nightmare (Rugrats), which scarred me for life. But this is a review of a SPONGEBOB episode, so back to it. I also think this was a creative episode i.e. The Krusty Krab playset (I love paradoxes). Anyways, this episode was, once again, good but not great.

It's underrated and I think this episode is one of the best episodes of this season. I actually didn't like the idea of Mr. Krabs forcing SpongeBob to take a vacation but SpongeBob not wanting to take a vacation and wanting to work at Krusty Krusty Krab but the execution in this episode was very good This episode is very hilarious in my opinion. Also I agree with HarryPotterLives about SpongeBob's other hobbies. SpongeBob was creepy but funny in this episode. My favortie part is the part when SpongeBob said "I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU, PATRICK" to Patrick and that part is also one of my favorite post-movie episode moments. SpongeBob playing with the Krusty Krabs Playset and Patrick watching nothing on TV were also funny too. I rate this episode 10/10

I'd be apt to call this episode underrated. Seriously, this is one of the best Season 4 episodes, if not the best (imo). From the opening to the ending and everything in between, there's a lot to like. While there were some slower moments and some rather odd animation errors here and there, those don't distract much from the rest of the episode. A lot of lines here are just great and everyone in the episode is written hilariously, with a prime example being Spongebob going crazy near the end (which is handled just perfectly) and Patrick is just a great character all the ways through. There's not much to nitpick here, so I'll leave it off with that this might be one of my favourite episodes of the show (though more like top 25 worthy than anything else).

FINAL RATING: 9/10 (GREAT episode)

• Like 2