• Advertisement

What'd ya last watch? (Movies)

terminoob

Finally got to finish Jordan Peele's Us yesterday. It was a good movie, definitely another a home run for Peele, but it didn't quite measure up to Get Out for me. But that was always gonna be a real tough act to follow, especially with all the hype his first film accrued for itself. I don't envy that position. Can't wait to see what he has up his sleeve for Twilight Zone.

The Beach Bum. Definitely not for everybody, but I liked it more than I thought I would. I can connect to it on a cosmic level.

Dumbo (2019). It's been too long since I last watched the original, but this one was aight, I guess. Seeing Michael Keaton and Danny Devito together again is pretty cool.

Shazam. I really liked it, I consider it another win for DC. Comedy was on point for the most part, some jokes definitely fell flat. Action didn't pick until the end, but it was pretty entertaining once it finally popped off. It was a spectacle like in Man of Steel, but much less destructive and product placement. Seeing that the director of this also directed Lights Out and Annabelle: Creation, I can appreciate the horror elements he incorporated with the Seven Deadly Sins. I'd put it above Marvel's own Captain Marvel outing. As far as it stands against other recent DC solo offerings, I'd put it above Aquaman but right below Wonder Woman (idk I'll have to watch Wonder Woman again). Dr. Sivana and the Seven Deadly Sins made for better villains than Ares tho. I hope DC keeps this momentum going when Joker comes out later this year.

Pet Sematary (2019). Definitely better than the original, but that wasn't gonna a hard hill to climb. It was one of those movies that I wouldn't had minded seeing a remake for. I was expecting a more grisly incarnation this time around, but really, the most gore we got was the sweet effects for Victor's injuries. The rest was all pretty tame, which was kinda disappointing. It was pretty hard for me to believe that Ellie's body would be almost completely unscathed after what happened to her (like, she was just pushed a few feet or so back rather than getting completely splattered), but I digress. I didn't mind the twists this incarnation made to the climax, it's nice to see things shake up a bit since it's already pretty well known what happens in both the original movie and book. I also liked how they elaborated more on the lore of wendigo here than they did in the original. Will be interesting to see if they actually make a sequel since the door is open for one.

Unplanned. It's what you'd expect from this sort of movie. Trying to make black and white out of a very gray topic. Doesn't help that the original source material it's based on is umm very questionable, at best. It doesn't condemn the women portrayed getting abortions here and they make it a point to differentiate the main religious group being portrayed from those that do badmouth and condemn them. At one point, they touch upon the death of an abortion doctor at the hands of a pro-lifer. The way I saw it, it was portrayed more as a way of presenting significant danger to the protagonist and they didn't really take the time address that what happened to the doctor was also a really tragic loss of life to senseless violence. The main abortion doctor in the film is portrayed as being a prick to his staff and seeming like he enjoys his job a little too much, so yeah. Really, it seems like they take the most aim at the doctors conducting the abortions and the higher ups of Planned Parenthood. The first (and arguably the most powerful) abortion scene got a morbid chuckle out of me and I felt bad after that. Mike Lindell, the MyPillow guy, cameos at the end, which got a more honest chuckle out of me.

Hellboy (2019). Yeeeeaaaaahhhh, this definitely falls off the mark left by Guillermo del Toro. Most of the jokes fell by the wayside, judging from both me and my fellow moviegoers. The mindless violence aficionado in me got my money's worth in that department, at least. I felt David Harbour was a good enough replacement for Ron Perlman, just wish he had better material to work with. There's like a whole Arthurian element to this film's story and I just can't help but feel that it was done a lot better by The Kid Who Would Be King just a few months ago.

Barefoot in the Park

It was a really cute and fun romantic comedy from the 1960s. Robert Redford and Jane Fonda make a great pair, but Mildred Natwick (the mom of Jane's character) and the assortment of neighbors in the apartment are pretty entertaining to watch as well. I don't watch many older movies, but this was a delight.

The Curse of La Llorona: A serviceable horror flick, a solid redbox-it in my book. The problems of The Nun is still very apparent here, jump scares up the ass, mang. It's cheap af. I wish they'd take more pointers from the Wan man, himself. Although I must say that the story here is at least better than The Nun's. The character of the curandero was cool, I like seeing the Mexican customs of dealing with the supernatural (even tho it doesn't take place in Mexico, the story's place of origin. Typical). It's pretty much the main reason why I liked Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones so much. Mexican culture is so entwined with the supernatural, it always makes for an interesting time in my book. And although she's not quite the ideal cultural lead for some people, I don't mind more Linda Cadellini in my life.

Avengers: Endgame: I've seen it twice already and Hawaii's ass was clenched both times.

Little: meh. Nothin special. Has some good laughs, but it's one of those movies I'll probably forget in no time.

Penguins (the yearly Disney Earth documentary): these things have been guilty pleasures of mine the last couple years.

The Intruder: hilarious shit. Dennis Quaid makes this worth watching at least once. It's at least better than most of the other yearly obligatory crazy stalker flicks that came out these past few years.

The Long Shot: A lot better than I expected. Pleasantly surprised. Plenty of heart and emotional weight behind it alongside the comedy.

Ugly Dolls: it's harmless, has a few genuine laughs, and has a message that's definitely been done better by other movies. I was the only one in the auditorium watching and I can't think of the last time that's happened, so that's something. Robert Rodriguez is an enigma.

Wildlife

a film that moves slowly and quietly but also packs a dramatic punch. Very solid directing debut for Paul Dano. Carey Mulligan deserved award nominations for Best Actress!