• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2018!

Wumbo

1 hour ago, kylie? said:

Seriously though, calm down with the dog-piling on 4EG just for stating his opinion or constructing his lists a certain way. We've been through the motions of this disagreement enough times to know that it's not going to go anywhere. At the end of the day this is a list ranking SpongeBob episodes and not anything that serious. You are liable to receive warning points if you cannot help yourself. Thank you! :sbdance2:

Yeah exactly. Besides, like Wumbo said in this thread a while back, many people do have at least a little bit of responsibility to bear on them for how 4EG is doing his list given how much people ragged on him when he constructed his own list. I myself may not agree with how the guy did his list this year, but it's really no big issue (which is why I haven't really said much about it beyond that one post) and if he hadn't been crapped on for stating his real opinions I'm sure he wouldn't have felt the need to do this.

To be serious, Dying for Pie will always be top 3 worthy for me because It explores SpongeBob and Squidward dynamic unlike any other. When people say what's the best aspect of SpongeBob, that'd be SpongeBob and Squidward relationship. Their personalities and ideologies are polar opposites, yet they basically pull each other and balance it out. Here we actually get to see how much Squidward cares for SpongeBob. He thinks SpongeBob is doomed with no solution of saving him, so he puts up with his shenanigans to give him his best final hours. That kind of dynamic was never tackled in a kids cartoon as far as I can tell, so seeing this type of sitaution makes it not only refreshing, so damn emotional as well. Of course the show doesn't forget to make us laugh, so it gives us some of best comedy ever. And we finally got to sunset where SpongeBob is supposed to die. Even as a kid, I knew SpongeBob wouldn't die but the scene with Squidward waiting for the doom with sadness is just heartbreaking to see. Especially considering that SpongeBob was willing to forgive anyone who leads him to his doom unintentionally. Although like a true SpongeBob episode, that doesn't seem to be the case. SpongeBob got to live and Squidward was so angry about how it was all fake. When any other show fake a death, it comes off as a bad writing and a cheap tactic to shock the audience but we all know killing the main character wouldn't do any good and this show is comedic, so this works out well but It doesn't take away how Squidward actually feels about SpongeBob and that's all that matters. This episode rules because of these reasons and It definitely deserved #3 spot.

• Like 3

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2uQ76qrlK78

Band Geeks never stood out as anything special to me. There are good jokes like the flag twirlers and Squidward saying they should play so quietly nobody hears them, but my apathy towards this episode can mostly stem from one thing. For a climactic song, Sweet Victory evokes nothing from me. It's just a decent rock ballad that is nothing special whatsoever, and for that to be the big ending that finally has Squidward win left me underwhelmed given that it's just an inserted track when the show is fully capable of making great original songs. Yes, Squidward finally gets his moment, but the execution was just not as thrilling for me as I wanted it to be.

• Sad 8

still think this is a bit overrated, albeit not as much as i did a few years ago. surprised it's not 1 though, maybe i forgot another obvious choice or something

Today, I watched the episode myself. I hadn't seen it in many years, because I was under the impression that I had seen it too many times and it got too much praise. For a long time it just felt like an overrated episode. Then it got me thinking, I do remember it being a phenominal episode back in the day when I was in elementary school. Everybody was talking about it. So I decided to give this episode another chance and tried watching it without a bias interfering with the enjoyment. Well.. The ending made me actually tear up, in a good way. And I will leave it at that. Spot number two is very well deserved in my opinion.

Edited by BeachBob95
  • Like 1
  • Happy 1

I already know what the next episode on the list is. We all do. Both of them make the top of the list each year, with the sole exception being when KKTV made the top of the list that one year. While I don't think this episode is too overrated, it's just not the top episode in my eyes. I mean, while Band Geeks is a good episode and far from being bad at all, it just doesn't do as much as the episodes that did make my top 25. Perhaps it's top 30 but it's out of the top 25 for me.

• Like 1

There's a reason why "Band Geeks" is also #2 on my own list. It truly is a superbly crafted episode! It has so many funny moments (Such as Squidward's line "Too bad that didn't kill me!", Patrick's "Is mayonnaise an instrument?" line, and the part where Sandy and Patrick brawl. There's more but I named at least 3 great examples), a very strong story, and of course the ending song, which while not an original song, is still a great song to end the episode on, especially because it leads to Squidward winning. The episode is a pure masterpiece in every category one can think of, and I'm glad it's #2 on the countdown just like it was #2 on my list.

• Like 1

To prolong the suspense even further, before we REVEAL OUR NUMBER ONE EPISODE tomorrow, here are some honourable mentions! Episodes that scored 50 points or higher but didn't quite make the cut.

Spoiler

Help Wanted, 50 points

Image result for help wanted spongebob

3 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #5, Fred

Ripped Pants, 50 points

Image result for ripped pants spongebob

3 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #4, TJ

Artist Unknown, 50 points

Image result for artist unknown spongebob

5 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #9, Wendy the Witch

No Free Rides, 52 points

Image result for no free rides spongebob

3 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #2, Wumbo

Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost, 55 points

Image result for squidward the unfriendly ghost

4 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #5, Trophy

Planet of the Jellyfish, 57 points

Image result for planet of the jellyfish

4 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #6, Clappy

The Secret Box, 57 points

Image result for the secret box

5 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #8, More

Feral Friends, 58 points

Image result for feral friends

4 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #2, 4EverGreen

Hooky, 58 points

Image result for hooky

4 of 32 lists. 1 #1 vote - RDSP

Wishing You Well, 58 points

Image result for wishing you well spongebob

6 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #3, More

Friend or Foe?, 59 points

Related image

4 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #5, jjs

and finally...

Krabs a la Mode, 59 points

Image result for krabs a la mode

5 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #4, Homie

Stay tuned tomorrow!

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, WumboJack Horseman said:

To prolong the suspense even further, before we REVEAL OUR NUMBER ONE EPISODE tomorrow, here are some honourable mentions! Episodes that scored 50 points or higher but didn't quite make the cut.

Hide contents

Help Wanted, 50 points

Image result for help wanted spongebob

3 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #5, Fred

Ripped Pants, 50 points

Image result for ripped pants spongebob

3 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #4, TJ

Artist Unknown, 50 points

Image result for artist unknown spongebob

5 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #9, Wendy the Witch

No Free Rides, 52 points

Image result for no free rides spongebob

3 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #2, Wumbo

Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost, 55 points

Image result for squidward the unfriendly ghost

4 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #5, Trophy

Planet of the Jellyfish, 57 points

Image result for planet of the jellyfish

4 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #6, Clappy

The Secret Box, 57 points

Image result for the secret box

5 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #8, More

Feral Friends, 58 points

Image result for feral friends

4 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #2, 4EverGreen

Hooky, 58 points

Image result for hooky

4 of 32 lists. 1 #1 vote - RDSP

Wishing You Well, 58 points

Image result for wishing you well spongebob

6 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #3, More

Friend or Foe?, 59 points

Related image

4 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #5, jjs

and finally...

Krabs a la Mode, 59 points

Image result for krabs a la mode

5 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #4, Homie

Stay tuned tomorrow!

Though I dislike Wishing You Well, I'm at least glad that episodes such as Ripped Pants, Artist Unknown, No Free Rides, The Secret Box and Feral Friends were close to making it. While the former 3 did not make my list, they are all great episodes and I'm glad to see them get some good recognition.

Whos ready for the undisputed champion RISE AND SHINE

50. ???

49. ???

48. No Free Rides (HM)

47. The Camping Episode (#9)

46. Frankendoodle (#10)

45. SB-129 (#28)

44. ???

43. Missing Identity (#32)

42. Krabs a la Mode (HM)

41. ???

40. ???

39. ???

38. Sailor Mouth (#22)

37. Pizza Delivery (#14)

36. SpongeBob Meets the Strangler (#29)

35. ???

34. ???

33. ???

32. Just One Bite (#21)

31. Clams (#41)

30. ???

29. The Secret Box (HM)

28. ???

27. Idiot Box (#16)

26. ???

25. Dying for Pie (#3)

24. Big Pink Loser (#38)

23. ???

22. ???

21. Graveyard Shift (#8)

20. Something Smells (#39)

19. Snowball Effect (#25)

18. ???

17. Squid's Day Off (#43)

16. Fear of a Krabby Patty (#27)

15. Krusty Krab Training Video (#4)

14. Valentine's Day (#50)

13. ???

12. Imitation Krabs (#20)

11. Artist Unknown (HM)

10. Nasty Patty (#11)

9. Roller Cowards (#24)

8. Life of Crime (#30)

7. ???

6. Can You Spare a Dime? (#18)

5. Krusty Towers (#19)

4. My Pretty Seahorse (#46)

3. Christmas Who? (#5)

2. Shanghaied (#7)

1. Wet Painters (#6)

Not on List:

Rock Bottom (#49)

F.U.N. (#48)

Squidville (#47)

The Great Snail Race (#45)

The Fry Cook Games (#44)

Club SpongeBob (#42)

No Weenies Allowed (#37)

Mid-Life Crustacean (#36)

Survival of the Idiots (#35)

Pranks a Lot (#34)

Plankton’s Army (#33)

Mimic Madness (#31)

Have You Seen This Snail? (#26)

Dunces and Dragons (#23)

Welcome to the Chum Bucket (#17)

Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V (#15)

Krab Borg (#13)

The Algae's Always Greener (#12)

Band Geeks (#2)

Help Wanted: I'd never put it on but it has a good spot as the pilot so I think that honorable mentions is fair no matter where I'd rank it due to what it did and how well executed it was as a pilot.

Ripped Pants: I prefer other season 1 episodes, Ripped was just an ok episode with an admittedly nice second half.

Artist: A really good Squidward episode with him bending over backwards for the sake of SB creating art, only for that ironic ending to wrap up a great episode even though it missed my cut.

No Free Rides: I've admittedly not seen this in years but I do remember it being the second best Mrs Puff episode, only second to Doing Time. I'll need to rewatch this before making my next list.

Planet suffers from s8 atmosphere where no matter what happens, there's still some slightly dull feeling in the episode's DNA. I have no idea why but this can be found in at least 95% of season 8 episodes.

I keep forgetting that The Secret Box isnt considered one of the classics, but I do agree that it's not top 50. Patrick getting ready for a pillow fight and the best friends rings were hilarious though so I'm fine with it being an HM

Feral is the first Sandy episode I've enjoyed in a while and it was nice to see an experimental episode with The Narrator and Patchy included, but it does have some weird pacing and there's sone funnier episodes in post sequel so it missed mine.

I've never cared for Hooky and never will. There's better episodes from that season which are missing.

WYW is nice but thank Neptune it's not in the top 25 this year. That one time was just ridiculous

Foe is great but I'm not the biggest fan of the ending and unfortunately, those Patchy scenes exist and are undoubtedly the worst of the entire show. What a real shame we couldnt get an extended ep like Shanghaied or Back to the Past with no Patchy, it'd fit too given that s5 had those three ep production pairs with shorter episodes so what gives!?

Mode is a nice winter episode with a few good jokes, but those jokes arent the best of the show and from season 5 I prefer To Sing a Song, The Krusty Plate, Bucket Sweet Bucket, The Holy Rise and Shine Itself and 20,000 Patties, none of which made my list so Mode was never a consideration for me at all.

• Like 2