• Advertisement

205a. Whirly Brains

Jjs Goodman

Rating?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Brains: It's time to free our minds!
    • 4/5 Brains: Wow Patrick, I've never seen the world from this angle before.
    • 3/5 Brains: It's just me, Patrick.
    • 2/5 Brains: Did you fall in?
    • 1/5 Brains: Sorry about your tv, SpongeBob.

6G2jgNT.jpg 

Premieres: 

Saturday, October 15th @ 10:30am ET/PT

Encores:

Saturday, October 15th @ 3:00pm ET/PT

Sunday, October 16th @ 10:00am ET/PT

Wednesday, October 19th @ 3:30pm ET/PT

Plot:

SpongeBob and Patrick get hooked on the latest fad – flying your own brain like a tiny drone.

Clips:

N/A

After four years, here it is, folks. The first Season 10 episode. I'm not sure how to feel about the plot, it sounds...really weird. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Edited by Pat Monahan

2 hours ago, jjsthekid said:

Plot:

SpongeBob and Patrick get hooked on the latest fad – flying your own brain like a tiny drone.

Image result for skye gif WHAT

• Like 5

Maybe like how Bulletin Board was a satire of message boards and YT comments sections, WhirlyBrains will be a satire on how stupid memes have become?

This one honestly did not do it for me, and I honestly don't know how to rate this episode either. :S I'm sure others might like it, but I wasn't feeling it at this moment in time. The episode wasn't as bad as I was potentially expecting, but it also wasn't particularly that good either. The concept wasn't particularly good to begin with, and SpongeBob and Patrick seemed like a regression back into S6/S7-ish characterization. A lot of the jokes (like Patrick having a diaper in his head) weren't very funny, either. I will give it that it was nice to see more of the cast involved, like Sandy's role near the end, but I feel some of it went to waste, particularly with the Kruff scene (more on that below). The old man fish's end part wasn't really that interesting or amusing either, and kind of bored me, if we're being honest. There were some okay parts in this episode, but for every okay part, there was a stupid or just flat out boring part to cancel it out.

As for what I'm sure people will be hyped for, if you didn't hear by now...yes, Kruff returns in this episode (!), and it is revealed Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff have apparently been dating for 16 years (which is pretty iffy and puts the show's timeline further into question, which is a can of worms I won't open). But honestly, while I appreciated it, it felt forced and out of nowhere? It was weird to randomly stick in after ignoring it for so long, and just seemed like nostalgia pandering. Bubble Bass also made another random cameo, along with "Pods" spray-painted onto a building, which is a reference to "Sharks vs. Pods". While I initially thought they were pleasant surprises, it just seemed like they tossed stuff like Kruff in to cover for the episode's poor story, so I don't know if I can even like the episode for nostalgia factor. The nostalgia of old elements worked in "Mall Girl Pearl", but I don't think it worked here. It could have been worse, but it also could have been better. I hope this is just a blip on the radar to start Season 10.

Grade: C- (still debating on this, this episode really is leaving my brain whirly)

Edited by Hungry Larry
  • Like 1

Interesting trivia, Ed Asner was the guest star voice for the crazy, cranky old man (and I'm PRETTY sure I noticed a quick little shout out to "Gravity Falls" when they briefly showed his house, in the form of a drawing of Bill Cipher). The brain washing segment was a shout out to "Rocko's Modern Life," and this episode honestly felt like it could have EASILY fit in a season 3 episode. I'd give it a 10 out of 10! :D Enough said! ;)

I think this will be one of the most divided episodes of the show because I've seen really mixed reception from but all I can say it that it was pretty stupid and loud but it was fun? I mean I suppose story-wise it is a really weird episode but I enjoyed seeing SpongeBob and Patrick flying their brains in the air and just have fun with it. You can say it's annoying but I found it fun myself. There were some funny parts like Squidward thinking flying brains are aliens but some parts were just bleh like diaper joke. The fast pacing is probably what made this one so fun for me. It was just a mindless fun (pun intended), I think that's what the episode was meant to. Kruff scene was the best thing about it, hands down. Sure it's forced I suppose but you know, it's a canon now, so I don't give a crap :funny:

As for the flaws, it was pretty loud at some points, so that annoyed me and I can see how this episode would be so diversive because it's pretty dumbass and loud as hell but some can find enjoyment in this stupidity, some can be very annoyed by it. So depends how you feel. :P 

Grade: B

I thought this episode to be a bit mixed, there are some bad parts like random Kruff scene along with SB & Pat s6/s7 characterization and this weird old man fish just sorta rambling with Sandy fires back arguing with him.. there's also some good parts too so yeah idk what to react this whole episode in overall. It;s just SB & Patrick goofing off around Bikini Bottom.

Final Grade B-

I didn't think this episode was all that great, but it certainly had its funny moments. The highlight of the episode was definitely the Krabs/Puff moment, though kinda weird that they've been dating for 16 years, given how all the other episodes have gone. But it was still an enjoyable though average episode.

I'm loving season 10 so I decided to copy my review for the first episode of it to here. I'm gonna share this to everyone in other websites as well.

That was a really great start for season 10. I really enjoyed the plot as it was unique and original (ignores any criticism as flame shields). The expressive animation was the most noticeable thing about the episode and Bob Jaques' work really shows. Due to his work on Ren and Stimpy, it felt like watching an episode of said show due to the humor.  Only parts I didn't liked was the diaper gag (it was gross when the diaper got in SpongeBob and Patrick's eyes and heads) and the pacing should have been better. But there were some memorable moments like Mr Krabs and Mrs Puff on a date (the meta joke works because Krusty Love aired in 2002, but it was season 2, so it might had been made in production 2 years before its airdate), Squidward in the end, Ed Asner's role, etc. I will give this a 9/10.

you know when you've been writing for a show for 16 years and you uh run out of ideas... I did chuckle at Squidward letting it all out though. But I gotta say, that "we've been dating for 16 years" joke was their biggest fourth wall joke ever and I can't believe Kruff is back. I liked the old man story in the ep.

• Like 1

First new SpongeBob episode I've watched in at least two years (I think?  I've lost track of time I'm not going to lie).  Honestly...

On 10/1/2016 at 10:46 PM, Ϯꂅꂅภϳ12 said:

Image result for skye gif WHAT

...I found myself asking this.  A Lot.  Like are the writers seriously THESE levels of out of ideas?  I just felt so sorry for this episode that this was the main plot point.

If it wasn't for that wasted Ed Asner guest star spot (I could listen to him ramble for eleven minutes and not get bored) and that Kruff moment (I'm a sucker for nostalgia pandering despite how questionable it is to remember it at this exact point), I would be a lot harsher on this.  A LOT.  Because I found myself very annoyed by the antics of SpongeBob and Patrick.  Jjs said S6/S7 characterization was back here...and yeah.  Yeah that's extremely accurate and I've got nothing else to add because those were the two seasons that annoyed me the most with these two in particular.

I have a feeling that this will be a blip on the proverbial radar for me because my SpongeBob watching is so sporadic now, but hopefully the next episode I randomly watch will not be SpongeBob and Patrick clip their toe nails with selfie sticks for eleven minutes.

• Like 1