• Advertisement

Awards season topic

Katniss

edited because Clappy beat me to the punch posting the noms (smirk) 

Got my fingers crossed that Leo and Brie Larson win for Best Actor and Best Actress. 

Edited by katnisslovestacos

Just now, katnisslovestacos said:

For some happier news today, the Oscar noms have been announced this morning:

BEST PICTURE

• The Big Short
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Brooklyn
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • The Martian
  • The Revanant
  • Room
  • Spotlight

BEST ACTOR

• Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
  • Matt Damon, The Martian
  • Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
  • Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
  • Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

BEST ACTRESS

• Cate Blanchett, Carol
  • Brie Larson, Room
  • Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
  • Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
  • Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

• Christian Bale, The Big Short
  • Tom Hardy, The Revenant
  • Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
  • Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
  • Sylvester Stallone, Creed

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

• Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
  • Rooney Mara, Carol
  • Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
  • Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
  • Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

DIRECTING

• The Big Short
  • The Revenant
  • Room
  • Spotlight

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

• Anomalisa
  • Boy and the World
  • Inside Out
  • Shaun the Sheep Movie
  • When Marie Was There

COSTUME DESIGN

• Carol
  • Cinderella
  • The Danish Girl
  • Mad Mad: Fury Road
  • The Revenant

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

• Amy
  • Cartel Land
  • The Look of Silence
  • What Happened, Miss Simone?
  • Winter on Fire

DOCUMENTARY SHORT

• Body Team
  • Chau, Beyond the Lines
  • Claude Lanzmann
  • A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness
  • Last Day of Freedom

MAKEUP AND HAIR STYLING

• The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
  • The Revenant

ORIGINAL SONG

• "Earned It" - Fifty Shades of Grey
  • "Manta Ray" - Racing Extinction
  • "Simple Song #3" - Youth
  • "Til It Happens to You" - The Hunting Ground
  • "Writing's on the Wall" - Spectre

ANIMATED SHORT

• Bear Story
  • Prologue
  • Sanjay's Super Team
  • We Can't Leave Without Cosmos
  • World of Tomorrow

SOUND EDITING

• Mad Mad: Fury Road
  • Sicario
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  • The Martian
  • The Revenant

FILM EDITING

• The Big Short
  • The Revenant
  • Spotlight

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

• Embrace of the Serpent
  • Mustang
  • Son of Saul
  • Theeb
  • A War

ORIGINAL SCORE

• Bridge of Spies
  • Carol
  • The Hateful Eight
  • Sicario

PRODUCTION DESIGN

• Bridge of Spies
  • The Danish Girl
  • The Martian
  • The Revenant

VISUAL EFFECTS

• Ex Machina
  • The Martian
  • The Revenant

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

• The Big Short
  • Brooklyn
  • Carol
  • The Martian
  • Room

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

• Bridge of Spies
  • Ex Machina
  • Inside Out
  • Spotlight
  • Straight Outta Compton

Got my fingers crossed that Leo and Brie Larson win for Best Actor and Best Actress.

Already beat you to this. (smirk)

Me besting Kat aside when it comes to posting. (smirk)

My initial thoughts:

-I've seen half of the best picture nominees so far.  Don't care if this is a spoiler for my upcoming best films list because I've got a few more I need to see that could alter this anyway:

1. The Big Short

2. Mad Max: Fury Road

3. Brooklyn

4. The Martian

-Totally surprised Steve Carrell didn't get nominated but Bryan Cranston and Michael Fassbender did.  I know that there was a ton of buzz over Fassbender early on in awards season but with how much Steve Jobs underperformed, I thought it would be forgotten somewhat.

-Charlotte Rampling getting nominated absolutely came out of nowhere for Best Actress.

-Best Supporting Actor has the potential to be the most intriguing of the acting nominations.  I could seriously see it going to Stallone, Bale, or Ruffalo based how the early awards shows have gone.

-Glad to see The Hateful Eight getting one of the big six nominations for easily the best part of the movie for me, Jennifer Jason Leigh.

-While I thought Inside Out has best animated feature locked last June, I'm not so certain with all the out of nowhere praise for Anomalisa.

1 hour ago, Clappy said:

Me besting Kat aside when it comes to posting.

My initial thoughts:

-I've seen half of the best picture nominees so far.  Don't care if this is a spoiler for my upcoming best films list because I've got a few more I need to see that could alter this anyway:

1. The Big Short

2. Mad Max: Fury Road

3. Brooklyn

4. The Martian

Curse you claps (smirk) 

Star Wars: The Force Awakens getting 4-5 nominations shocked me, I was only expecting it to get nomination for Visual Effects. I hope it wins at least one Oscar cuz it deserves :funny:

At first, I'm not sure about Mad Max might getting best picture nomination but considering how much Acedemy ignores marvelous action movies (excluding visual effects), I kind of want it to win. Sorry, I haven't seen The Big Short.

As for Leonardo DiCaprio, I really think he deserves to win the best actor award this time, I still need to see The Revenant but considering how much I've heard praise from his acting and his performance in Inception, he deserves to win this year.

Edited by WhoBob

3 hours ago, Clappy said:

-While I thought Inside Out has best animated feature locked last June, I'm not so certain with all the out of nowhere praise for Anomalisa.

It's not really out of nowhere. It is a Charlie Kaufman film, after all.

Aside from no Screenplay nomination for Hateful Eight and no nomination for Steve Carrell this is about what I expected. 

On January 14, 2016 at 0:42 PM, terminoob said:

It's not really out of nowhere. It is a Charlie Kaufman film, after all.

I actually had no idea and never saw his name attached to any of the trailers.  That definitely makes far more sense now.

On January 14, 2016 at 11:20 AM, WhoBob said:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens getting 4-5 nominations shocked me, I was only expecting it to get nomination for Visual Effects. I hope it wins at least one Oscar cuz it deserves :funny:

At first, I'm not sure about Mad Max might getting best picture nomination but considering how much Acedemy ignores marvelous action movies (excluding visual effects), I kind of want it to win. Sorry, I haven't seen The Big Short.

As for Leonardo DiCaprio, I really think he deserves to win the best actor award this time, I still need to see The Revenant but considering how much I've heard praise from his acting and his performance in Inception, he deserves to win this year.

Star Wars will win something for production and/or sound.  Those big blockbusters usually tend to win one of those.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely am surprised Mad Max got nominated because I thought for sure it would get overlooked.  The Big Short totally surprised me when I thought for sure it would be a bit of a mess, especially since it's a true story film from the guy who made freaking Anchorman and Step Brothers.  I love both movies but The Big Short is just a tad better to me.

Also Leo wasn't nominated for Inception.  He should have won for The Wolf of Wall Street.

Just now, Clappy said:

I actually had no idea and never saw his name attached to any of the trailers.  That definitely makes far more sense now.

Star Wars will win something for production and/or sound.  Those big blockbusters usually tend to win one of those.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely am surprised Mad Max got nominated because I thought for sure it would get overlooked.  The Big Short totally surprised me when I thought for sure it would be a bit of a mess, especially since it's a true story film from the guy who made freaking Anchorman and Step Brothers.  I love both movies but The Big Short is just a tad better to me.

Also Leo wasn't nominated for Inception.  He should have won for The Wolf of Wall Street.

I know he wasn't nominated for Inception. That's the only movie I've seen him. Don't kill me, I'm going to watch The Wolf of Wall Street soon. 

Just now, WhoBob said:

I know he wasn't nominated for Inception. That's the only movie I've seen him. Don't kill me, I'm going to watch The Wolf of Wall Street soon. 

I won't kill you....yet. (smirk)

4 hours ago, katnisslovestacos said:

Or What's Eating Gilbert Grape...or The Aviator...

Don't know who beat him for Gilbert Grape off the top of my head, but Jamie Foxx absolutely deserved to beat him for Ray.

Somewhat related note to this topic, but The Revenant was fine. Not something I would ever sit through again though because of not only the length but just way too dark and gritty artistically for me to really want to cover another rewatching.  Once was good enough.  Leo was...good enough to win?  I don't know.  I've seen him do so many great roles that I think that meme GIF of him tortured trying to reach for Oscar literally was how I felt watching him through so much of this movie.  It just felt like Leo doing another awards bait role except this one felt more...of a sellout?  I don't know what the term is but he's done so much better in other best actor nominated roles where I felt a genuine connection there to his characters.  Here?  I guess the connection is there because he's that damn good of an actor, but I don't know.  He's just done way better to me than this to me that I can't believe this was the role that's going to possibly get him the long coveted best actor trophy.  Anyone could have done this role to me.  Although Leo vs Judy the Bear I would be hard pressed to find another actor that could sell it with that much conviction that Leo did.

However, Tom Hardy stole the movie.  He was so damn good in this that I hope he gets recognized more so for this than Leo to be completely honest and it's increasingly making Best Supporting Actor the marque acting category to watch.  Like I seriously can see any one of the five nominees winning this.

So yeah here is my updated rankings through the best picture nominees:

1a. The Big Short (I think what made me love this more than Fury Road is just because it completely defied my expectations of being based of a true story awards bait with a top loaded cast.  Really smart and entertaining and impressed the hell out of me.)

1b. Mad Max: Fury Road (Owning this and rewatching it reminds me why I heavily loved this.  These two are neck and neck in my personal power rankings.)

3. The Martian (Bought this and rewatching it.  Yeah it's definitely better than Brooklyn.  Matt Damon for Best Actor...sorry Leo.)

4. Brooklyn (It's not really for everyone but the acting heavily carried this for me.  The stars were so damn good and made this more than just a period piece romance.  Saoirse Ronan is my current pic for Best Actress but that could change once I see Room and why Brie Larson is running away with the category.  Domhnall Gleasson really is one of the most underrated actors working on a side note.  He's pretty good in the next movie below too.)

5. The Revenant (See above.  I get why people are loving this but I just did not.  Not when Liam Neeson did this movie a few years ago with The Grey which was far shorter and didn't drag nearly as bad as this did.  It's good.  Just not amazing.)

I still have more to see but currently I'd say Room is my favorite Best Picture nominee. That movie was like a punch to the gut and Jacob Tremblay delivers one of the best performances from a child actor I've ever seen. Next would be The Martian, it was funny and so captivating to watch Matt Damon try to survive on Mars. Brooklyn would be last, it's a sweet movie with a solid performance from Saoirse Ronan.

I haven't seen any Grammy discussion here, so I may as well start it off.

The nominees have been up for a while, but as far as I'm concerned, the most interesting one is probably Album of the Year, specifically between Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lamar. It'll be interesting who wins that one considering Taylor has boatloads of support from the general public while Kendrick has boatloads of support from practically every single critical publication. Which one do you guys think will win, because I think it's kind of obvious that the other 3 nominees have no chance.

1 hour ago, Clappy said:

Somewhat related note to this topic, but The Revenant was fine. Not something I would ever sit through again though because of not only the length but just way too dark and gritty artistically for me to really want to cover another rewatching.  Once was good enough.  Leo was...good enough to win?  I don't know.  I've seen him do so many great roles that I think that meme GIF of him tortured trying to reach for Oscar literally was how I felt watching him through so much of this movie.  It just felt like Leo doing another awards bait role except this one felt more...of a sellout?  I don't know what the term is but he's done so much better in other best actor nominated roles where I felt a genuine connection there to his characters.  Here?  I guess the connection is there because he's that damn good of an actor, but I don't know.  He's just done way better to me than this to me that I can't believe this was the role that's going to possibly get him the long coveted best actor trophy.  Anyone could have done this role to me.  Although Leo vs Judy the Bear I would be hard pressed to find another actor that could sell it with that much conviction that Leo did.

However, Tom Hardy stole the movie.  He was so damn good in this that I hope he gets recognized more so for this than Leo to be completely honest and it's increasingly making Best Supporting Actor the marque acting category to watch.  Like I seriously can see any one of the five nominees winning this.

So yeah here is my updated rankings through the best picture nominees:

1a. The Big Short (I think what made me love this more than Fury Road is just because it completely defied my expectations of being based of a true story awards bait with a top loaded cast.  Really smart and entertaining and impressed the hell out of me.)

1b. Mad Max: Fury Road (Owning this and rewatching it reminds me why I heavily loved this.  These two are neck and neck in my personal power rankings.)

3. The Martian (Bought this and rewatching it.  Yeah it's definitely better than Brooklyn.  Matt Damon for Best Actor...sorry Leo.)

4. Brooklyn (It's not really for everyone but the acting heavily carried this for me.  The stars were so damn good and made this more than just a period piece romance.  Saoirse Ronan is my current pic for Best Actress but that could change once I see Room and why Brie Larson is running away with the category.  Domhnall Gleasson really is one of the most underrated actors working on a side note.  He's pretty good in the next movie below too.)

5. The Revenant (See above.  I get why people are loving this but I just did not.  Not when Liam Neeson did this movie a few years ago with The Grey which was far shorter and didn't drag nearly as bad as this did.  It's good.  Just not amazing.)

What happened to #2? (smirk)

On a serious note, what you said about Leo in The Revenant, I hope he doesn't torture himself again just for Oscar because that could really effect his career. I haven't seen The Revenant to judge his acting but hopefully the one that really deserves gets the best actor award this year.

On 1/14/2016 at 9:16 AM, katnisslovestacos said:

I imagine it'll be like last year where the Alejandro González Iñárritu film wins pretty much every award except the Best Actor one. I'm still mad about Michael Keaton getting snubbed.

2 minutes ago, 70s said:

I haven't seen The Revenant yet but I'm very happy my future husband Tom Hardy was nominated and I'm rooting for him (so I'll be sad when he loses to Sylvester Stallone).

...can we share? :(