• Advertisement

Halibooty's Top 100 Songs of All Time

Sweat

Yeah, I'm doing this because WHY THE FUCK NOT?

Out of all of my whole period of developing musical taste, 2015 has undoubtedly been one of the biggest development so far, especially in the summer. You can argue that it hasn't been the biggest single jump, but it's definitely the year that's introduced the most music to me. With my old album-reviewing project thing and taking words from the more musical people on here, I managed to get more music stuck to me than I have in all the previous years combined. I doubt I'll have a year more significant than this one. Now that summer's over, my discovery period will probably wind down, so I feel it's appropriate to do this now as I doubt it will be changed too much in a while.

Go ahead and follow this thread cuz I have no idea when I'll actually start this. :P

• Like 6

PART 1

Spoiler

100 // TALKING HEADS // ONCE IN A LIFETIME // 1980

I can think of barely any songs of the past century that are more quotable than this one. That's mainly because the lyrics are spoken, but still. If you were to say one line of the song, you're guaranteed someone else responding with another quote from the song. For post-punk, this song isn't really what most people would expect. People expect Talking Heads' comrades to make depressing and dark music, so it's refreshing to see Talking Heads make something as silly as this. The instrumentation in the song is the kind you wouldn't here anywhere else, and once again, this song is one of those songs that people feel inclined to memorize. Once you hear the chorus to this thing, it'll be stuck in your heads for days. That's quite obviously a good thing in this case.

Spoiler

99 // OF MONSTERS AND MEN // LITTLE TALKS // 2011

I don't know how remembered this song is, but this was one of those really big alternative songs that fluked into the charts in the beginning of the 2010s. In hindsight, some of these fluke alt hits kinda sucked, most notably Foster the People's "Pumped Up Kicks", but this one really stuck with me, and it stuck with me pretty fucking well. If someone can honestly tell me that they don't feel at least a little bit of joy from that awesome chorus, I don't really think they would have a soul. This is just an all-around great song, and it's a shame it didn't get even more popular than it already was, because this song would've probably fit in the top 10 much better than The Lumineers. Ugh.

Spoiler

98 // ICONA POP FEAT. CHARLI XCX // I LOVE IT // 2012

Well this is guilty pleasure #1 on this list. Spoiler alert: There's more than a few. Well here's what I have to say to the people who will get mad at me for putting this above something like Talking Heads.... I DON'T CARE, I LOVE IT! I'm sorry, I know I probably shouldn't like this song, but holy fucking christ the beat and that singing gets me pumped the fuck up every time I listen to it. I don't know what I really need to say about this, it kicks ass. Just listen to it. Okay you don't need to, because I frankly don't care.

Spoiler

97 // CYNDI LAUPER // ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT // 1983

From a current trashy pop song to a classic! I'm on fire here, ladies and gentlemen. Anyways, Cyndi Lauper is awesome. It makes me sad when people say they hate Cyndi Lauper. Sure, she's stupid and all polished and stuff, but does it really matter? Her voice is awesome, and this song in particular exploits it in the best way possible. Her vocals aren't really what forces this song on my top 100, though. What really has me put this on here, is the production. THAT PRODUCTION, MAN. Everything about the instrumentation in this song works perfectly, and that one synth breakdown-ish thing in the middle of the song is always a treat when I hear it.

Spoiler

96 // SUICIDE // JOHNNY // 1977

What a fucking swerve, man. I went from these two trashy pop songs, and then I go from that to this alienating, disturbing synthpunk song. This is gonna be one of the songs on my list that I won't even consider guaranteeing everyone will like it. This is a challenging song, but despite that, the song just rocks. The really odd synth thing going on this song is so comfortable and kinda fitting. Plus, Alan Vega's vocals on this song with the effects on it make the song overall feel creepy in the best way possible. You uneducated people (sorry, there's no unpretentious way to put it) may think that this song is just some crappy obscure thing or whatever, but it was actually a huge influence on the punk movement. Hell, Bruce Springsteen himself said that this song and the album it came from was very influential for him. Yeah, I can understand why some people may think this song is horrible once they hear it, but I think it's just amazing in every way.

• Like 8

Spoiler

95 // BECK // WHERE IT'S AT // 1996

Beck is one hell of a musician, and certainly one of the most diverse. If it weren't for his voice, it'd be pretty fucking hard to tell that "Loser" and "Girl" are by the same guy. That's the magic of Beck. You can't just dislike every single thing he's ever made, he's made enough material where there's got to be something in there for you, wether it's the poppiness of Girl or the weirdness of this song. I definitely prefer his odd stuff, though. The weird-ass usage of what I think are samples in this song especially make it one of the stranger alt rock hits of the late 90s. And there were lots of alt-rock hits in the late 90s. Beck's voice never fails to please me, and god the production in this song just kicks everything into gear. TWO TURNTABLES AND MICROPHONE

Spoiler

94 // JUSTICE // DVNO // 2007

I could've very easily done a song like D.A.N.C.E. on this list, but I feel that'd be a bit too obvious. I'd rather put in the spotlight one of Justice's bit less discussed disco-housey songs, DVNO. Frankly, I love Justice and all but I don't really love their more abrasive songs like Let There Be Light. That's what I love about DVNO. It's just an instantly catchy very danceable song. The beat on this song just punches into you, and I still do not know the guy singing is, but I want to marry his voice. Once you listen to this song, it will never leave. Of course, not a bad thing by any means. Just listen to this song and let it get lodged in there, you'll be happy it did. I still don't understand why DVNO in capital letters written in gold would be a sight to see, though.

Spoiler

93 // PILOT // MAGIC // 1975

Another song that will get really deep in there once you listen to it, here's Pilot. I don't really have much to say about the band in general as they were just another generic pop rock group from the 70s and people would rather not research those types of bands unless I'm missing out on something, so let me say right now that this song is absolutely awesome. That guy belting out NEVER BELIEVE IT'S NOT SOOOOOOOOOO will never not be in your head. Luckily, it won't annoy as the guy's singing voice in general is awesome and that one guitar breakdown in the middle of the song makes me happy whenever I hear it. Just an all-around happy pop rock song, I don't know what else to say.

Spoiler

92 // SLINT // NOSFERATU MAN // 1991

I remember when I first heard this album this is from Spiderland during my album reviewing project. I had really high hopes, but ended up disappointed. I borderline hated the album until got to another listen just a couple of weeks ago. I don't understand what I was thinking. Okay, I do understand as this is an album where listening only once is a very bad move anyway. This is an album that takes a while to click. I'm not referring to the song exactly, though. I must've just passed this song when I listened to the whole album, because holy christ this song fucking ROCKS. That one main bizarre guitar riff gets stuck in your head very fast. Plus, the song overall is just some great, GREAT hardcore music that's borderline metal. The guy talking or yelling instead of singing in this song makes you feel like you're part of something, and it's a pretty damn great feeling. For a little while, I was thinking that maybe not everyone would like this, but honestly, you guys are probably gonna really like this song... I hope.

Spoiler

91 // ARCTIC MONKEYS // DO I WANNA KNOW? // 2013

For the record, I'm not a massive fan of Arctic Monkeys. I respect them for bringing this kind of modern garage-y sound back into the mainstream and all, but their music is a bit too "cloudy" for me I guess. I don't know, I don't see why you'd listen to Arctic Monkeys when you can just listen to something like The Strokes. That being sad, I fucking adore this song. It makes me so happy that this song was as successful as it was. A bit of a shame though that it didn't reach the momentum to share pop airtime with bands like fun. though. The bass undertones of this song with that riff and the drum kicks give me joy, and the singer's voice makes me want to love. As another plus, the music video is just great in every way. Mild boobage is always a treat, even if it's animated. ;)

• Like 1

Spoiler

90 // ESTELLE FEAT. KANYE WEST // AMERICAN BOY // 2008

I don't know too much about Estelle outside of her role on Steven Universe and this particular song, but with those two pieces, I can gather a conclusion that she's probably a goddess. God, her voice is just amazing in every way. This song was actually a pretty mild hit in 2008, but it doesn't deserve simply being a mild hit. It should've been a fucking smash. The production on this song is just fantastic in every way, Estelle's voice is never not listenable ever, and Kanye... eh, Kanye isn't amazing on this song but he still adds to the song in a pretty good way, all together making one of the best songs of the 2000s.

Spoiler

89 // CHUCK BERRY // JOHNNY B. GOODE // 1958

Chuck Berry is such a delight. A pervert, yes, but a delight. Frankly, I'm not a "fan" of the guy necessarily as I haven't listened to too much from the guy, but holy god this song is so maddenly catchy. It's actually the oldest song on this list, but damn this song has staying power in the best way possible. Chuck Berry's guitar skills are godlike, and all of the lyrics in this song making this story just fit so well together that it's kinda scary how everything in this song works. I don't even know if I can say much else really, this is one of those songs that has this unspecifically unanimous amazingness about it.

Spoiler

88 // JUNIOR SENIOR // MOVE YOUR FEET // 2003

Holy god, if there's anyone in the world who doesn't get joy out of this song, I need to slap them in the face. Everything about this song works so well to make me filled with happiness. The guy in the chorus' voice, the instrumentals with the trumpet undertones and such, all of it just punches with you with happiness and the severe need to dance. It's a real shame this isn't up there with the really famous dance/pump-up songs, because it deserves it. It really deserves some kind of major accolade. What do I have else to say, just listen to it and be happy!

Spoiler

87 // BLONDIE // CALL ME // 1980

YESYESYESYESYES! This song was the #1 most gigantic song of 1980, and for very, very good reason. This song just rocks so hard. Debbie Harry's voice is one that's easy to fall in love with instantly, and oh my god the hard rock tones just make it even better. Blondie is one of those bands that never really does the same song, and this is the type of Blondie that everyone should love. The guitar riff is addictive, the drumming, the chorus, everything about this song just kinda makes you want to headbang. Kind of funny because the lyrics are kinda mismatched, but is it really possible to resist yelling CALL ME along with the rest of the crowd in the song? The answer is no.

Spoiler

86 // FERGIE // CLUMSY // 2007

Another massive guilty pleasure worth noting for me. No, I don't regret putting this higher than the likes of Blondie or Chuck Berry. Look, I can't really say objectively how much I love this song as it probably shouldn't evoke any love by me, but oh God that production along with Fergie's voice that I will fight anyone who dislikes it, all of it works too good. I shouldn't love this song as much as I do, but yeah, this song is just a masterpiece to my ears. If you disagree, have fun because you ain't changing my mind. This song is great in every way.

• Like 5

Call Me is so great. I think doing that Billboard year-end hits project only made me appreciate it even more.

Why isn't Estelle more of a thing because American Boy is great.

Fergie's solo stuff isn't that bad (ignores L.A. Love and Fergalicious) and while this isn't one of my favorites, it's still decent.