• Advertisement

Halibooty's Top 100 Songs of All Time

Sweat

Spoiler

EVE 6 // INSIDE OUT // 1998

Man, this song is catchy as fuck. I've kinda passed my overall phase on late 90s alt hits, but there are still some that I feel are worth noting of me still loving. This one is easily one of said songs. It's not just that the song is catchy too, it's that I honestly kinda think the lyrics are awesome. I don't know about you guys, but the writing in this song just hits the sweetspot for me for whatever reason. Late 90s were such a great time for mainstream music, man.

Spoiler

T. REX // GET IT ON // 1971

No, don't tell me that I screwed up the title and that it's "Bang a Gong (Get it On)." The original name was only Get it On but was changed when converted to a single for the United States. This song is known as Get it On basically everywhere outside of 'Murica so I may as well call it that. Okay, disregarding that nitpicking, this song is amazing. T. Rex is one of the funkier, more upbeat bands from the glam rock boom, and he's arguably one of the best, and surely one of the most famous. This song makes me so happy whenever I hear it. The chorus with the multiple guys shouting out the chorus will make your day, and the song itself is so fucking funky, man. It's a real shame they only had one really big songs in the United States which was this one, because they should have been superstars.

Spoiler

THE AVALANCHES // FRONTIER PSYCHIATRIST // 2000

The Avalanches are one of the most awesomely unique bands out there, even if they haven't made very much except for one very notable album so far. They took the sample collage ideas that people were already using like DJ Shadow, one guy I feel bad for not listening to much of yet, and they specifically went all-out in this song. Literally the whole song is composed by samples, even the background instrumentals, and it makes for some awesome music. The weird foreground samples of random speeches and commercials with notable samples including "Tighten your buttocks" and "YOU'RE CRAZY IN THE COCONUT" really add to the beautiful oddness of the song. You can't just listen to the song without being blown away by stuff like a sound of a parrot being manipulated by turntable scratching. What a fun song in so many colorful ways.

Spoiler

KANYE WEST // BLACK SKINHEAD // 2013

#yeezy4president2020 Kanye is a madman. For some people, that might be considered a bad thing, but in Kanye's case, his fucked up brain translates to some of the best mainstream music you can find from the past decade. Sure, he can stumble a few times musically, but he makes it up when he makes outright masterpieces. Now some of you may disagree with me saying this is the best Kanye song, but I really do. Kanye goes all-fucking-out in every way, and with that bass and the forceful percussion, it just kinda makes me want to work out. You feel like you're a God... GOD... GOD.... GOD!!!!!!!

Spoiler

ELLIE GOULDING // ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN // 2012

Anyone who doesn't adore Ellie Goulding probably hasn't listened to anything outside of Lights. Once you escape her more "overplayed," stuff, you can find some damn good, beautiful pop music. I can't really exaggerate when I say Ellie Goulding's voice may be one of the best in mainstream music in the past decade, if not two decades. This song's production is so crisp and wintery that it just gives you goosebumps every time it hits your eardrums. What an amazing singer, and what an all-out mindblowing song. I KNOW IT'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT!

• Like 5

JAY-Z FEAT. SWIZZ BEATZ // ON TO THE NEXT ONE // 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtDxLpzuen4
I wish I could post the studio version as I frankly prefer that version, but traces of the original music video are completely wiped off of YouTube. I don't even know. Now this song is just awesome in so many ways. Jay-Z is on top of his game like he usually is, so that's not very surprising. What really elevates this song to be worthy of the top 100 without a doubt though is the fucking instrumentals. It just makes you want to work out or something, and it really punches. It also samples the song "D.A.N.C.E." by Justice, a group that already earned a spot on this list. Everything about this song works to make you feel like you want to jump around everywhere.

WEEZER // GETCHOO // 1996
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCUD52feOmg
Fun fact: There are people on this planet who do not like Weezer. Sure, they (really) lost quality by the 2000s, but it's kinda insane how there's a possibility that there are people who do not appreciate Weezer's first two albums. Now I actually haven't listen to the Blue Album yet, but let me tell you, Pinkerton is an absolute masterpiece. It's sad that everyone hated the album when it first got released. With any doubt, the crowning song off of that record was Getchoo. The noisey guitar and drums is savage, and Rivers sells it so well. If you're prone to getting songs stuck in your head, watch out because this one won't budge once it's in there. Lovely.

OUTKAST // GASOLINE DREAMS // 2000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZHyijx3L1Q
Another group that it's sad that some people don't like, OutKast everyone. These guys are incredible rappers. Of course, I'm not always one to discuss lyrics or whatever, so this production is also more than fantastic. It has so many awesome elements including what I think is guitar in it but I can be corrected. The chorus gets lodged in (like a lot of the stuff on this list does) and it's all just great.

CHEMICAL BROTHERS // LET FOREVER BE // 1999

If I were to be honest, I'm never really the person to be that into this type of breakbeat-ish music, but there are definite gems of this style. Let Forever Be is too wonderful for words. The beat with that drum loop is absolutely addictive, and the vocals of Noel fucking Gallagher out of all people kick this song into high gear, and even when the song ends, it's going to keep playing in your head for the rest of your life. The music video helps quite a bit too. The video is absolutely mindblowing and creative, I wish more videos like it could exist.

BLUR // SONG 2 // 1997

Funny that I pointed out Noel Gallagher in the last spot, as his band, Oasis, is the very well-known rival of this band. Blur are fucking awesome, you cannot go wrong with them no matter how hard you try. Sure, I could've added one of their more respectable songs like Tracy Jacks, but I'd rather go for the obvious instead. This song is just about exactly 2 minutes long, and they take those two minutes to try their best to assault your brain with their awesomeness. Jock jams are a really polarizing thing, there are liked ones and there are despised ones. This is one of those that I can safely say deserves its reputation for an ultimate pump-up anthem. WHOO-HOO!

• Like 3

OF MONTREAL // SUFFER FOR FASHION // 2007

I don't know liked or not MGMT is on this site, but I personally do not like them at all. Frankly, I much prefer their slightly less-known sugar-happy counter part, of Montreal. (Yes, the "of" in the band name is all lowercase. Nothing more hipster than that.) Neo-psychedelia is a beast you really need to tame, and like I remember saying before, you can't just emulate someone else's style. It has to be all you. of Montreal definitely captured that with this song. Instead of the normal lush stuff, their brand of it all is crisp, direct, and happy as fuck. They're basically a stiffer version of Animal Collective, and that's nothing short of a compliment. I barely know what the hell this song means, but damn does it make me happy every time I listen to it.

STEVIE WONDER // SUPERSTITION // 1972
https://youtube.com/watch?v=0CFuCYNx-1g

Undoubtedly one of the more well-known obvious songs on this list, you just can never argue with Stevie Wonder's music no matter how hard you tried. This song is no exception. This song is damn funky. That synth stuff along with the horn section shouldn't work as well as it does. Honestly, do I even need to... state anything? You guys know this song, just groove to it already!

BREATHE CAROLINA // BLACKOUT // 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBZICTaUmU0

Well because I already got the obvious one in this installment out of the way, now it's time for the massive guilty pleasure! For the most part, this song is a big nothing to most people. It's a generic electronic clubby dance song. I'm not denying any of that's true for the record, I know very well that this song objectively probably shouldn't even be worth acknowledging it's existence. But at the same time, I refuse to deny that I love it to pieces. I love just about every aspect of it. The instrumentals are actually really damn good for a generic club song, and the guy's voice, despite being accompanied with autotune, just makes me happy. Then there's the crowd yelling THIS WON'T STOP 'TIL I SAY SO that elevates everything into just all-out beauty. Great song, guys.

JANE CHILD // DON'T WANNA FALL IN LOVE // 1990

This song is one that I honestly just about have no idea what to say. I have no idea who Jane Child actually is, and the first time I heard this song was off of the pop radio station on GTA V, so theoretically this song shouldn't even matter to me. But you know what screw it, I love every single second of it. Jane Child's voice is surprisingly unique and god that production is stellar. Yeah, I don't have much stuff to say that isn't repetitive. This song just resonates with me in a very indescribeable way, and it's all spectacular.

BATTLES // ATLAS // 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpGp-22t0lU

A good number of you guys will probably have absolutely no idea who these guys are, but I can safely say right now that they deserve way more praise than they're already getting. The fact that the mainstream public doesn't know these weirdos is sad. Sure, their stuff gets lots of hipster credit from stuff like Pretentionfork, but they're more than that. They're quite possibly one of the most wonderfully unique bands I've ever heard. This is their most famous song off of their 2007 debut album Mirrored and it's been stuck in my brain without leaving since the first time I heard it months ago. The song's structure is really off, same with the distortion of the guitar and vocals, but everything about this damn song works well in every single aspect. When people say there really isn't as much good experimentation with music anymore, I have to show them this is because this is basically the embodiement of what musicians are capable of doing these days. Yet, I still have no idea whatsoever what they're saying. 

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE // KILLING IN THE NAME // 1991
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWXazVhlyxQ
Rage Against the Machine is a kickass band. Sure, they're pretty overrated, but at their best, they're at their fucking best. I probably should've put a song of theirs that isn't the really obvious choice, but honestly, this is one of those obvious choices that makes sense. I'm not sure if I can say anything that isn't obvious too, but god this song is one of the ultimate pump-up anthems for a reason. When Zach yells out "FUCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME" you're definitely put in that role. Of course, because I'm 14 and it's better for me to do what I'm told, I can't totally relate to this song. Whatever, it stills gets blood pumping.

ORNETTE COLEMAN // LONELY WOMAN // 1959
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNbD1JIH344
I'm not the biggest jazz afficionado in the universe, I'm going to say that right now, but I have dabbled in a bit of it, and this is easily the one that stuck with me the most. Most jazz songs, no matter how good they are, kinda get lost in my brain after a while, but this one stuck with me immediately. The saxophone in this song is just great all the time, and it really does feel soulful. I'm actually trying to learn this on my own saxophone, so wish me luck. :P

M.I.A. // PAPER PLANES // 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewRjZoRtu0Y
M.I.A. is a polarizing musician. You either love or hate her. I'm personally mixed on her overall as at her worst she's intolerable, but when she's at her best, you have this song. This song was a pretty surprising hit for her back in early 2008, but it's definitely a deserving hit. M.I.A. has had critical acclaimed long before this song, but the fact that this is the one that pushed her into the mainstream is nothing but good. Her voice is stellar, the production is great, and the chorus with those gunshots are never not awesome.

THE KNACK // MY SHARONA // 1979
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR2JtsVumFA
If any of you remember the project where me, Clappy, Wumbo and Kat did a top and bottom 10 Billboard year-enders, you should probably be able to remember this being the #1 on the best list. At this point, I don't agree on this being my own personal #1 of that list, but holy god you can't underestimate how fucking awesome this song is. It's such a catchy pump-up spin on wanting to hook up with a person who isn't legally old enough. Should anyone really care at this point, though? Everything about this song is just about perfect, and when the guitar solo comes, is it possible to not get sucked in? Quite the deserving song to be the best of a whole year.

STARDUST // MUSIC SOUNDS BETTER WITH YOU // 1998
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxBdUIlhxo8
You know, for a group that's literally never made a single other song, they definitely made a strong mark. This is usually considered to be one of the best house tracks ever, and for very good reason. The first thing that you'll think about with this song is probably the really Daft Punk-ish vibe, and that's because a good portion of this song was from the help of half of Daft Punk, Thomas Bangalter. This song never fails to make me happy. It's practically just a Daft Punk song anyway, just listen to it!

• Like 1

Rage Against the Machine is a kickass band. Sure, they're pretty overrated, but at their best, they're at their fucking best. I probably should've put a song of theirs that isn't the really obvious choice, but honestly, this is one of those obvious choices that makes sense. I'm not sure if I can say anything that isn't obvious too, but god this song is one of the ultimate pump-up anthems for a reason. When Zach yells out "FUCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME" you're definitely put in that role. Of course, because I'm 14 and it's better for me to do what I'm told, I can't totally relate to this song. Whatever, it stills gets blood pumping.

I'm not the biggest jazz afficionado in the universe, I'm going to say that right now, but I have dabbled in a bit of it, and this is easily the one that stuck with me the most. Most jazz songs, no matter how good they are, kinda get lost in my brain after a while, but this one stuck with me immediately. The saxophone in this song is just great all the time, and it really does feel soulful. I'm actually trying to learn this on my own saxophone, so wish me luck. :P

M.I.A. is a polarizing musician. You either love or hate her. I'm personally mixed on her overall as at her worst she's intolerable, but when she's at her best, you have this song. This song was a pretty surprising hit for her back in early 2008, but it's definitely a deserving hit. M.I.A. has had critical acclaimed long before this song, but the fact that this is the one that pushed her into the mainstream is nothing but good. Her voice is stellar, the production is great, and the chorus with those gunshots are never not awesome.

If any of you remember the project where me, Clappy, Wumbo and Kat did a top and bottom 10 Billboard year-enders, you should probably be able to remember this being the #1 on the best list. At this point, I don't agree on this being my own personal #1 of that list, but holy god you can't underestimate how fucking awesome this song is. It's such a catchy pump-up spin on wanting to hook up with a person who isn't legally old enough. Should anyone really care at this point, though? Everything about this song is just about perfect, and when the guitar solo comes, is it possible to not get sucked in? Quite the deserving song to be the best of a whole year.

You know, for a group that's literally never made a single other song, they definitely made a strong mark. This is usually considered to be one of the best house tracks ever, and for very good reason. The first thing that you'll think about with this song is probably the really Daft Punk-ish vibe, and that's because a good portion of this song was from the help of half of Daft Punk, Thomas Bangalter. This song never fails to make me happy. It's practically just a Daft Punk song anyway, just listen to it!

FUN. // SOME NIGHTS // 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQkBeOisNM0
Some of you guys may love me for putting this on the list... some of you guys may be ashamed of me. Yeah, whatever. fun. is not a band I can't say I am an upright fan of. Most of their other stuff to me is okay, but not great. That being said, Some Nights is an absolute masterpiece. It's a really self-indulgent song that produces some great results. The fancy old-timey marching band drums in this song are one weird choice, but it's one that works, and that autotune solo thing could've easily been the most cringeworthy thing ever, but it turned out great. This song is passion-filled, wonderful, and probably is totally shallow. Whatever, it's good-ass music.

CASCADA // EVERYTIME WE TOUCH // 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zuviud2HHQ
Oh god, this one is probably much more embarassing than fun.... (the band name, not the adjective) Yeah, this is one of the few English-language pop songs I knew about before the age of, like, 10. I literally only listened to Balkan pop music up until then, nothing else. That might be why I love the song actually, take the English language, replace it with some Bosnian and this sounds like something I'd listen to constantly in the van while me and my parents went shopping. It's just a great, emotional-SOUNDING (I very highly doubt it's not shallow in practice) and it's just great.

TELEVISION // SEE NO EVIL // 1977
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7L0IYPXKj8
Art punk is one of those things that shouldn't even exist. Art + punk shouldn't mix, but it fucking does. I could've gone with something like Wire or Gang of Four, but this is one of the more obvious choices. Television are awesome in every way, and this song especially is fun as hell to listen to. It sounds exactly like most stuff like it should sound like. It's simple, somewhat bare-bones but it rocks. For the record, while I like art punk, post-punk like Joy Divison and Talking Heads kind of escapes me.

GOTYE // HEARTS A MESS // 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpN1j8R5lZ8
It's heartbreaking that someone as talented as Gotye is probably going to hit Dexys Midnight Runners levels of one-hit-wonderdome in the near future. I'd be lying if I didn't say that Somebody That I Used to Know, despite being really good, is a tad overrated. The bare-bones instrumentation is respectable, but not something I can dig all too well. With this song though, it has the great lyricism of STIUtK, but has this lush eerie instrumentation that I just love to pieces. Plus, Gotye's voice is ever not bad. Incredible musician, if only he could've broken through even further.

DJ SAMMY // HEAVEN // 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhifPQ55Z7Q
Honestly, take what I say about Everytime We Touch and copy/paste it here. Not gonna lie, this is better than the Bryan Adams original, but the original is still pretty damn good.

• Like 2

DEXYS MIDNIGHT RUNNERS // COME ON EILEEN // 1982
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC1vtG3oyqg
When it comes to 80s new wave stuff, I don't think it's controversial to say that a fair amount of it isn't extremely good like someone would enjoy to say, especially the less weird stuff. Luckily, this song existed, which is probably the most unique-sounding new wave hit of the 80s. No other song was like it, with the fiddles and such. It also helps that this song is one of the best of them, too. It's just such a happy, almost triumphant song. It just makes you want to do everything, especially the final blast of a chorus. An instant 80s classic for very good reasons.

EMINEM // WITHOUT ME // 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVkUvmDQ3HY
A lot of people like to pick on Eminem for trying to shock and making tasteless jokes, but some people forget that Eminem used to be the most clever and unique mainstream rapper for a handful of years in a row. This song is just a collection of awesome lines that come together into something beautiful. Yes, we need a little controversy, and Eminem satisfied America in 2002 with it. I wish "Nobody listens to techno" was still relevant, though. Also, here's a bonus piece of awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icVlW_MdrCA

BIG BLACK // PRECIOUS THING // 1987
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qERJfwpXt7U
It's pretty rare for a band to be this mindfuckingly insane yet still be great, but Big Black definitely pulled it off. Big Black was founded by underground music legend Steve Albini, who actually was the main producer for Nirvana's In Utero and Pixies' Surfer Rosa, and this song off of the album Songs About Fucking will quite likely be the guy's magnum opus. It's provocative, it can be genuinely scary to the right person, and it's nothing short of absolutely awesome.

PRIMUS // MR. KRINKLE // 1993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOdo7dhvSwg
Primus sucks. Primus are fucking awesome. These guys have serious talent, but they make some of the most unusual metal songs you'll hear. This song is great instrumentally, but Les Claypool talking about this weird "Mr. Krinkle" guy just adds a really creepy undertone to it, especially when it gets quiet. Just a bizarre, beautiful song. Plus, it's physically impossible not to talk about the video, which is one of the most impressive ones that you will see in your lifetime. Yes, it was taken all in one shot. OK Go really need to thank these guys video-wise.

MACKLEMORE AND RYAN LEWIS // WHITE WALLS // 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PLifPUIuic
I totally understand why some people hate these two guys, but personally, when these guys are on their A-game, they're nothing short of brilliant. Macklemore is just an overall great rapper, and Ryan Lewis at one point needs to start producing for other people, because his stuff is just amazing. The hook is one of the best of this decade so far, and Schoolboy Q is kickass in this song like you'd expect him to be. Yeah, Macklemore is a dweeb, but he's a great dweeb. Great song.

• Like 3