• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2015 Edition!

Wumbo

SB-129: Another gem from Season 1. Not an all-time favorite, however. I don't think I have any all-time faves from S1. Sorry to any fans of it.

Life of Crime: Love this one. YAA BUNS AND THIGHS

Big Pink Loser: Not too big on this one. Sometimes it made me laugh, but I never thought it was spectacular.

Spongebob, Sandy, and the Worm: Pretty good, I don't know why I always forget about it.

24. "Everyone at the head enhancement clinic said nobody would notice!"

Imitation_krabs.jpg

Imitation Krabs, 87 points

(5 of 26 lists. Highest Ranking: #2, Trophy)

A robotic fish controlled by Plankton and designed to look like a salesman walks into the Krusty Krab. He tells SpongeBob that he will win $1,000,000 if he tells him the Krabby Patty secret formula. SpongeBob then says that it can only be discussed with Mr. Krabs in private. Enraged, Plankton bursts out from the robot and threatens violence against SpongeBob if he doesn't reveal the secret formula, only to be tossed back to the Chum Bucket by Mr. Krabs.

Later, Plankton creates a robotic version of Mr. Krabs in order to make SpongeBob reveal the formula to him. He tells Squidward he can have the whole day off to get rid of him, and tries to make SpongeBob, who is working in the supply room, tell him the secret formula. However, the real Mr. Krabs keeps on coming into the room they are in, so he has to hide and he emerges again when the real Mr. Krabs leaves. Eventually, Plankton throws a penny out the window and the real Mr. Krabs runs after it, thus completely distracting him. 

Afterwards, Plankton learns that for the secret recipe to be discussed, he must first do a ridiculously long and complicated ceremony that takes around 6.5 hours to accomplish. SpongeBob is about to give him a bottle with the recipe inside when the real Mr. Krabs comes into the kitchen right after the penny Plankton threw earlier. SpongeBob gives them both a quiz about the Krusty Krab, threatening to blast one of them with tartar sauce. The imitation Krab gets all the answers to the quiz correctly (obviously via its technology) and Mr. Krabs somehow gets them all wrong. SpongeBob squirts Mr. Krabs with tartar sauce and rolls him out the door.

SpongeBob presumes that the robotic Mr. Krabs is the real one, and gives him a penny that he "dropped." The penny goes into its coin-operated self-destruct mechanism, blowing Plankton into the sky right after he makes a frantic run for the Chum Bucket with the secret formula bottle still in his possession. With the secret formula bottle rolling down torwards SpongeBob, he then realizes that it was Plankton and that he threw out the real Mr. Krabs. He saves the real Mr. Krabs, who is being attacked by a live-action hand with a plastic fork, and rolls him back into the Krusty Krab. SpongeBob apologizes to the real Mr. Krabs , and Mr. Krabs forgives him, but tells SpongeBob that the penny is coming out of his paycheck, with both of them laughing at the end, with SpongeBob asking if it's true.

Trophy: You guys will be shocked when I finish that there's an episode I find greater than this, so much I'm doing a list, different format. 1:  SpongeBob balancing the spatula is cute <3 2: Plankton's disguise (and the mustache as a final touch) 3: ONE MILLION DOLLARS... yet he turned it down like an FBI warning video style (PUNISHABLE BY LAW) and caused one of the most hilarious brief meltdowns ever 4: the ever so obvious Plankton Krabs scene 5: I WENT TO COLLEGE is probably my second favorite Plankton quote besides Felicitations malefactors. 6: "Could you let me down?" 7: Code 12 scene/head enhancement clinic. 8: No reason to rip people's heads off. 9: Squid's why do today being countered by Mr. Krabs 10: Squidward finding out the obvious robot yet just getting the day off and enjoying it 11: Robo krab's monotone laugh 12: SpongeBob's obliviousness just works 13: Robo Krabs's disguises 14: What happened to your metal pants 15: Day... OOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFF!?!?!??!??!! 16: Heat vision FTW! 17: I don't know Mr. Krabs... I don't know. 18: Plankton's penny diversion 19: Where you goin beautiful? 20: The pole crashing on IK 21: A microphone out of his stomach... 22: Secret handshake and the national anthem... all we need is a flag. :P 23: Plankton's been doing random controls nonstop for 6.5 hours... that's some ritual. xD 24: ravioli ravioli GIVE ME THE FORMUOLI! 25: Robo Krabs's eyes bursting on fire, and monotonously yelling WHAAAAATTT is more hilarious than it should be 26: I even ate 105 black licorice jellybeans THROUGH A STRAW! 27: Keep it in this bottle for something that just made Plankton die on the inside, still hilarious. 28: Mr. Krabs has good timing 29: GASPING! 30: Plankton being the stalker that he is gets more questions right. 31: That ridiculous question at the end that only happened once probably. 32: Tartar sauce 33: On Wednesday 34: IT SAYS THE TITLE 35: Coin self destruct slot 36: Robo Krabs exploding the Chum Bucket after yelling HEEEEEELLLLPPPPP 37: All the times Robo Krabs says ouch 38: The formula nonchalantly rolls back undamaged 39: BACK HUNGRY HAND (HANS :o) 39: Penny's outta your paycheck. There's probably more that I missed but those alone made it a tough choice, and you guys will be shocked about my 1, even if it isn't on the list I'll still reveal it. (Note: If my 1 is revealed before this is posted this was made before the 1 being revealed was posted so I don't look like an idiot)

Fluttershy: This seems to be one of the few episodes that's still brought up in the show today, from casually referencing Robot Krabs in New Leaf and Spy Buddies, to miserably failing at emulating it's magic with Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy and others. I think this implies how well it resonated with the crew members, and it certainly resonated well with me. So why does this episode work so well? For one, rather than being as blind as a bat to the situation, SpongeBob is seen more off being incredibly loyal to Mr. Krabs to the point where he can trust everything he says, thus it doesn't come out as annoying to overshadow it's incredible comedy. Heck, the ignorance itself is funny, with SpongeBob constantly playing him off by showering him with vocabulary words, to believing that he has a metal suit, to letting him be tortured through completely random shenanigans that's so confusing and silly that you just HAVE to laugh out loud! (Seriously, what kind of handshake did they whip up?) And I really loved that Plankton's ultimate failure was due to his own bad idea for self-destruction, linked to another great joke about Krabs' attraction to it. The penny was a great way to ultimately link the plots together. That's the magic of it, we never know how Plankton's gonna end up at his breaking point from SpongeBobs innocent torture. I could go on and on about all the classic and memorable gags, but I'll stop it here. It's easily one of Season 2's finest.

Wumbo: You know, I've kind of forgotten about this episode really being one of the big gagfests of Season 2, but looking at Trophy's post, I can definitely see that now. This episode couples an interesting Plankton plot with some of SpongeBob's most bizarre antics, which definitely makes for great comedy. Plankton's breakdown at the end (complete with fiery robot eyes) is absolutely hilarious to me. Even the Plankton/Squidward interaction was nice. (Also a good way to take him out of an episode that didn't need him. :P) Of course, don't take my word for how funny this episode is. Trophy has already detailed it for us perfectly! But I gotta say, this is an episode that I probably should have considered for my own list.

• Like 8

28. This did not make my list. It's decent, but IMO it is not worthy of the top 30 or so.

27. OH YUS. This made #3 on my list, as you can see. I love this one in so many ways I can't describe it.

26. This one made it to #9 on my list. It's mainly great because of the scenes like "NO! THIS IS PATRICK!" and "Hey pal, did you just blow in from Stupidtown?"

25. This one was #10 on my list. I'm surprised you were surprised it made #12 on the 2013 Top 50.

24. And this one made #13. I just rewatched this one yesterday, and I remembered how great it was instantly.

Missed a lot hot damn

28. SB-129

This episode I'm surprised is so high. It was sort of interesting to see squidward and Patrick and Spongebob in different eras and I liked the time machine idea but it's pretty vanilla IMO.

This is an OK episode.

Favorite moment: The alone sequence.

27. Life of crime

This episode is a very funny one. It's got a lot of humor in the first part. It's story is very simple but the jokes are killer. Spongebob and Patrick breakdown about their supposed crime is hilarious. You got the opening with Krabs lying about stealing things, Patrick freaking out as Spongebob eats the chocolate bar, the scene when their running to the cops. Heck even the covering their footsteps with paint and the street performers got laughs.

This is a elite episode. This will definitely rise in my next list.

Favorite moment: " We're not talking about a hijacking or a mail fraud scheme, we stole a balloon and their gonna lock us up forever.

26. Big pink loser

This ranked in my top 5 and then for some reason I miscopied it on my list when I turned it into wumbo...

The whole episode was great. It's probably the closest thing to a Patrick feels episode and still is done funny. The whole trophy closet gag and the ajr scenes are done very well. Then Patrick copies Spongebob to a creepy extent as he tries to get one award. The one he does at the end isn't really a shock but it's set up well an a good nice ending for Patrick. This is a elite episode.

Favorite moment: " At least I'm safe inside my mind " scene where Spongebob is trying to get Patrick to stop copying him.

25. Sandy spongbob and the worm.

This episode is an early one that while it has good humor relies on plot and character development to get most of it's attention. The worm chase scene is very well done. It has good action for a Spongebob show, and it gets you excited in a " real men sweat Gatorade " kind of way.

The townspeople are funny when they are discussing what to do. The Whole scene where there debating what the town people should do besides the " take bikini bottom and push it somewhere else " iconic meme, I like the two ones before and after it. The knight saying we should build a moat Is random for even Spongebob. Squidward's response is some chuckle-worthy biting humor "that idea might just be crazy enough... to get us all killed! "

Also this shows us a bit of Sandy's flaws such as her cockiness and brashness. I like how Spongebob gets her to apologize , even though it's super dangerous he's concerned about her character development. Lol.

Favorite moment: Krabs unwilling to part with money rather than save the town. My god, this is krabs greed done right. It's so over the top and ridiculous.

" No you'll never get a cent outta me. I'd rather the worm come here and eat everyone of you alive. * breathes hard* "

This is a great episode.

24. Imitation krabs

Plankton gets a robot that looks like krabs and pretends to be him in order to get the formula.

I can't believe how many funny parts I missed in this. The animation and voice acting blend spectacularly. Even with trophy saying all the funny parts there's 2 other ones that I liked " the gasp " when real Krabs enters the scene and also mr krabs passing.

Favorite moment: Plankton leaning slowly with the joystick as he reaches for the formula.

Elite episode.

Well, since Trophy pointed out all those classic and memorable gags, turns out I shouldn't have went on with my commentary.

There was no other way to put it into words and get across a point that it's not my one. :P

Jeez man this episode has so many gags in it, the head enhancement clinic one being one of the most genius subtle ones in the entire series.

"no reason to rip other people's heads off" hehehehe

And with the context and tone of all times plankton says he went to college makes me believe that the animators favor community college over traditional colleges 

23. "How about this one, bodyguard? Too overbearing?"

Spongebob_The_Strangler.jpg

SpongeBob Meets the Strangler, 93 points

(7 of 26 lists. Highest Ranking: #3, Hayden)

SpongeBob has a man arrested for littering. After calling the police on him and having him arrested, Squidward reveals that the stranger is, in fact, the Tattle-Tale Strangler, an extremely dangerous criminal who murders anyone who reports him to the cops by strangling them. Seconds later, the Strangler escapes, and begins planning to kill SpongeBob. SpongeBob looks for a bodyguard for protection, but no one would take the job knowing that they would have to face the Strangler. SpongeBob decides to go into hiding until the Strangler gives up on him, until a man who is obviously the Strangler using a fake mustache as a disguise offers to take the job, intending to lead SpongeBob to a place where he can kill him with no other witnesses. SpongeBob, oblivious to his identity, hires him.

However, SpongeBob needs to run some errands first. They are faced by every possible delay, and when they finally get to SpongeBob's house, SpongeBob realizes he lost his key and looks for it in his pockets for 20 minutes. The Strangler suggests entering through the window. The window is too high for him to reach, so the Strangler asks SpongeBob to climb on his shoulders. SpongeBob, now with sharp cleats on his shoes, does so, his shoes going directly inside of the Strangler's eyeholes. He runs around for 6 hours before finally pulling the shoes out.

SpongeBob eventually remembers that the key was under his doormat. The Strangler then locks the doors and starts to choke SpongeBob. The lights then turn on, revealing a "100% on-time average" surprise party. SpongeBob acts surprised, asking how they knew, with Patrick saying that they just did what the invitations told them to do. The party goes on for a considerable length of time. The Strangler then attempts to choke him again, but the guests come back for a birthday party for SpongeBob. Finally alone, he tries again, but then Patrick shows up for some odd reason. The Strangler tries to get rid of him, saying that he could be the Strangler in disguise. Patrick then runs off thinking that he is the strangler, breaking through the wall and running off to turn himself in.

SpongeBob is confused upon realizing that Patrick is the Strangler. The real Strangler, enraged, reveals his true identity and intentions by removing his disguise. However, SpongeBob still fails to understand, and is amazed at the Strangler being able to tear off his mustache without shaving cream. The Guests return overhearing the word "party." The Strangler runs away, but SpongeBob goes after him, saying he still needs protection from the "strangler." He attempts to escape in a series of vehicles, but SpongeBob catches up every time. Eventually, he lands in the police department in a jail cell and SpongeBob learns the truth. Immediately, the Strangler finds Patrick in his cell.

Hayden: Whenever I rewatch this episode I'm amused from start to finish. First, while the concept could be considered similar to Flatts....The Strangler basically representing a murder makes it all the more dark as far as humor goes. Plus, littering should be a jail worthy offense am I right? The episode really takes off when the errands start and it just gets more ridiculously funny. One of the best examples of SpongeBob naiveté done right. Normally in post movie the cleats in eyes thing would no doubt be full of gross out, but it's just the right amount of cringe towards a character deserving of it, unlike Squidward. Maybe one day we'll walk down Strangler road again, but until that day his one appearance was golden.

MMM: Known as of the last episodes of the famed "pre movie" era, I feel like the best point of this episode, like 97% of this era of the show, is it's humor, mainly found in the well timing, the slapstick, and the fact that it's just "stupidly suspenseful" as to how Spongebob doesn't understand that, the Strangler is actually "this bodyguard". I believe that the plot is pretty interesting, and a cool idea, that I thought was pulled off pretty well. And I like said earlier, this episode is really funny. The timing for the humor is perfect, and all of the slapstick is pulled off nice, most notably the scene with the spiky cleats. Also, I love Spongebob is so obvlious to the surroundings around him, and it really works here, plus how everything just seems to backfire on the poor Strangler. The characterization is done well, too. No one is out of character, Spongebob and the Strangler are also equally pretty funny, they all have their moments, in my opinion. Another one of my favorite episodes.

Wumbo: Man, I've always loved those Looney Tunes cartoons where Bugs thwarts his foe at every turn and always comes out on top through the most ridiculous scenarios. I can only assume that Strangler took a page from that era, because man does it take me back. This episode is a comedy goldmine. Only SpongeBob could take down a legitimate murderer in this fashion, by annoying him to the point of desperation. The part at the end where The Strangler breaks down in tears is honestly hilarious, though I think that may say a bit more about me than the episode. :P Oh well. I heavily considered this great episode for my list, but it ended up missing the cut. Lot of great episodes of SpongeBob, and unfortunately I couldn't take them all. Still love it though, and I can't wait until the next time I see it again.

• Like 6

"Imitation Krabs" and "Spongebob Meets the Strangler" both made MY list, although I DO feel as though this list is a LITTLE too crowded with episodes from season one to three, not enough post first movie representation in MY honest opinion!

I guess this episode was based more on its gags but higher than the one above it... yeah not the best for me as it does not show THAT being my one, or on my list in general so personal bias. :P

Honestly if we sent in 50 I'd not add this because it tends to be forgettable sometimes but that's just me. It is in the top 100 though.

#23 - ...I never got to see the 2004 episodes as a kid because of how uncommonly they aired. Anyways, this episode is another humorous episode which doesn't fail at balancing the show's humor and dark jokes. Did anyone else notice that liquid (no, it's not red, thankfully) flew from the Strangler's eyes when Spongebob jumped into them?