• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2015 Edition!

Wumbo

Even if some of my favorites don't end up making it (Especially my #9 and #10, which I really cross my fingers on getting on even though unlikely), I really can't wait to see what episodes pop up on the list and just how much diversity and passion this community has towards the show!

Also, calculating the amount of commentary this list will have (30 for the first 30, 20 for the next 10, and 30 for the top 10), I came out with an average of roughly 3.07. The chance that you'll get 4 episodes is rare.

• Like 1

I found this episode to be really, really great. While it didn't make the cut (albeit, very close), I have to give it credit for it's creativity of it's premise. SpogeBob really works when the premise is simple, just as long as it's more than "Plankton steals the formula by Shenanigan X" which is getting pretty old, and this adds meat to it with it's excellent atmosphere and the comedy. I love how they play Plankton off by utilizing the weakness (the cold) as a strength, and I really loved almost all the really fast-paced comedy present, and it goes from gag-to-gag surprisingly quickly, which I can't sing enough praise about. Of course you gotta see the jokes to believe them, but I can say that this legitimately felt like a pre-movie episode. (I had that notion for years, actually)

• Like 1

This episode is one of the best episodes from Season 5. This episode is not on my list because I think, it is not good enough to come on my list. I specially liked the scenes with the Ice hockey players. 

• Like 1

Krabs a la Mode huh, I guess I sorta forget about this episode's existence sometimes, and other times it;s basically a solid episode, but then again I don't wanna be biased for the hockey rink in the latter half. :P I guess I really should re-watch it for a definite evaluation.

• Like 3

49. "We got square dancing, giant barby Qs, homemade peas-in-a-can pie, and we got our very own ten-gallon hats!"

Nuclear_Explosion.jpg

Texas, 57 points

(4 of 26 lists. 1 #1 vote - PatBack)

SpongeBob, Patrick and Sandy are playing in the sand at Goo Lagoon. Sandy makes some sand in the shape of Texas, which is soon destroyed by the tide. She walks off sadly, while SpongeBob tries to cheer her up and offers to play with her, but Sandy explains that she is just feeling a little homesick. SpongeBob and Patrick then blindfold her and take her to her treedome, which only adds to Sandy's depression. She begins crying, and runs off.

Both SpongeBob and Patrick are confused, until they hear Sandy singing a song from on top of her treedome about how she misses Texas by singing. They decide to cheer up Sandy by throwing a Texas-themed party for her at the Krusty Krab. They go to Sandy's house to ask her to come to the Krusty Krab with them, but she tells them that she is leaving Bikini Bottom to move back to Texas. SpongeBob is shocked by this, and tries to convince her to go to the Krusty Krab, but fails. Sandy gets into a bus out of Bikini Bottom and leaves. Patrick says, "What's so great about dumb ol' Texas?"

Suddenly, the bus comes back and Sandy returns, offended by Patrick's remark. Patrick then asks if he can say that people from Texas are dumb, which angers her even further. This gives SpongeBob an idea to lure Sandy to the Krusty Krab. He and Patrick continue insulting Texas, and Sandy begins chasing them. They intend to lead Sandy to her surprise party at the Krusty Krab. Patrick continuously insults Texas, thinking Sandy is too slow to catch up to them, only to soon realize that she is catching up to them.

Sandy lassos Patrick and pulls him to her, and a nuclear explosion is shown in the background as he disappears. SpongeBob, still hoping to reach the Krusty Krab, begins screaming as he runs as fast as he can. Sandy's lasso reaches SpongeBob the instant he reaches the door of the Krusty Krab, and she attempts to pull him to her as he holds the door with one hand. Eventually, this causes the front of the building to be torn off, revealing the party inside. Sandy realizes how much her underwater friends care about her, and that Bikini Bottom has become her true home, and decides to stay. The crowd, except Squidward cheers at this, and Patrick says "Yeah, who needs dumb old Texas?" Sandy gets angry once again, and Patrick asks "Should I start running now?" as the episode ends.

PatBack: After a full rewatch of the first season, I've come to conclude that Texas is a fine 11 minutes of television. It elaborates a huge part of Sandy's character: her love of Texas (although I'm sure the Amazing Athiest would disagree with her on that). It's a very heartfelt story, and that ending might be the sweetest of the series. And to top it off, it has tons of memorable jokes, from the literal interpretations of Texan slang, to the chase scene near the end that always cracks me up. It's just the perfect episode, and a nice representative of the show's strengths. Go watch it.

Wumbo: This made my list as well. Looking back, this might be one of the most heartwarming episodes the series has ever done. It's honestly so touching to see the lengths SpongeBob will go to keep his friend in Bikini Bottom, as well as make her feel better. This is still Season 1, so at this point we're still learning about the side characters. And if there were any episode to fully introduce us to Sandy, it would be this one. She's proud, she's patriotic, she's fierce, she's sensitive, she's defensive, she's wild. If you're watching the series to learn all about each one of the characters, don't leave this one off your roster. It's the quintessential Sandy episode.

• Like 9

48. "Acting alone, we're powerless. But united, the Plankton family could be a real pain in the fanny!"

Sheldon_s_Cousins.jpg

Plankton's Army, 57 points

(5 of 26 lists. 1 #1 vote - SB_DW)

At the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs announces that it is the 25th anniversary of the first time Plankton attempted to steal his secret recipe. Suddenly, a robot enters the restaurant, and Mr. Krabs pushes his employees aside, saying that he will handle this one. However, the robot orders chili coral bits instead of a Krabby Patty, pays for them and leaves. Mr. Krabs is surprised that the robot wasn't Plankton, but Plankton then suddenly jumps out of the dollar bill the robot gave him. However, Plankton hadn't planned what to do next, not thinking he'd get this far, and is simply flushed down the toilet by Mr. Krabs. 

He returns to the Chum Bucket, sulking to his computer wife Karen about his failures. She then suggests to hire some henchmen to help him. He first goes to the Salty Spitoon, but the thugs beat him up. He then realizes that he has thousands of inbred relatives across the sea, and invites them all to come to the Chum Bucket, thinking they will all be evil geniuses like himself. However, when they arrive, he finds out they are all inbred rednecks, and comments that he's "been away from home longer than (he) thought."

He calls them to a meeting and gets them to agree to his plan in exchange for root beer. Plankton's first name is here revealed to be Sheldon, which Karen finds hysterical. Plankton's army then attacks the Krusty Krab, tying up Mr. Krabs and Squidward in a toilet. The Planktons open the safe containing the Krabby Patty secret recipe. Before Plankton reads the recipe, Mr. Krabs pleads him not to read it, saying "There some things this world weren't meant to be seen by mortal eyes!" Plankton reads it anyway. The ingredients turn out to be:

A pinch of salt
3 tsp. of chopped onions
A cup of love
4 lb of freshly ground Plankton

Mr. Krabs says he warned him. Plankton is horrified by this, and runs away. The other plankton read it and run (except for Clem, who can't read, but Mr. Krabs orders him to get out). Mr. Krabs and Squidward manage to escape from the toilet, and SpongeBob returns from his task, and asks what happened. Squidward asks if a Krabby Patty is actually made of plankton, Mr. Krabs explains that the recipe that Plankton read is fake, and the real one is hidden somewhere "No one, not even Plankton, would ever figure out." Squidward then guesses that it is under Mr. Krabs' mattress, and Mr. Krabs runs to his house, yelling "Curse you, Squidward!"

SB_DW: I'm not surprised that this was below the list, it's one of the most forgotten SpongeBob episodes but I'm so glad this masterpiece made it to the list. This is my favorite SpongeBob episode of all-time. Sure, It may not be the smartest or the most emotional episode, SpongeBob has ever done but this episode has a lot memorable gags inculding amazing facial expressions by Plankton and Karen's making fun of Plankton's first name. This is the "Plankton trying to steal the formula" episode at it's finest because it's really creative and funny to see Plankton teaming up with his relatives to steal the formula. I'm so surprised that SpongeBob was barely in this episode but I'm glad he barely appeared in this episode. Not because I hate SpongeBob, I love this yellow dude but it's really great to see Plankton having his solo episode. Not the mention this episode shows us that we don't always need SpongeBob as a main character for a good laugh. Whenever I think of this episode, I always smile because this episode is that good.

Wumbo: Some episodes can just grab you right from the title: Plankton's Army. Doesn't that sound awesome? You barely even need to do any promos because I'm already hooked. And for what it's worth, we got a pretty awesome episode to come out of it. It was great to see Plankton teaming up with his family and almost get the secret formula. I mean, you know he's not going to, but still, the amount of suspense built up in this episode is pretty palpable! Lots of great, memorable gags throughout as well. The "Sheldon" gag is a classic, everyone knows it. Plankton's family is great; the way they represent an antithesis of Plankton's character. And I feel like they went the extra mile with this episode as well. This one felt big; the scope of it widened with all the new characters being introduced. All in all, a fantastic episode that cracked my top 25, and I'm honestly surprised this one didn't reach higher.

• Like 6

49. Eh, I don't really love this episode, but it's definitely a solid season 1 episode

48. This episode is a quintessential silly season 3 episode. It didn't make my list, but it was pretty darn close.

• Like 1

50. Krabs a la Mode

This episode was a fun watch. It wasn't as gangbusters in laughs as some of the others on my list, but it was a " cool " episode and is better than a decent amount of post movie episodes. One of the best of it's respective season. Heck it even did the "Mr. Krabs Wins" point well.

A good start to this list.

Favorite moment: Mr. Krabs speech to plankton about his thermostat.

49. Texas

This episode ended up #10 on my list. If the first half was funnier it might be my #1 because the second half hit very hard.

The opening kind of drags as we see sandy upset about Texas as Spongebob accidentally makes things worse. She sings a song, that's underrated by Spongebob standards, and Spongebob and Patrick decide to give her Texas Underwater. They try to convince her to go back to the Krusty Krab but Sandy is ready to return to her old home.

Patrick ponders aloud " What's so great about dumb old Texas? " and Sandy comes back to defend Texas Pride. Spongebob and Patrick try to lure her to the Krusty Krab by further insulting Texas and this is where the ball starts rolling comedically. She chases them as some old western music is playing and it's full of gags up until they reach the Krusty Krab and sees how little Bikini Bottom knows about Texas. Appreciating the Gesture she decides to stay and it's kind of touching then Patrick gives us with a good joke to end the episode.

I think this is a little underrated and might be forgettable by internet standards but glad to see it made the list. The 2nd half payoff is worth the wait.

Favorite moment: Sandy roping Patrick and pulling him back into an explosion.

48. Plankton's Army.

This was funnier than I thought even though it didn't make my list. This is how you make hillbillies charming, a bunch of good hearted yet gullible and simpleminded idiots.

Their whole dynamic with plankton is funny and the Sheldon jokes had me chuckling. The shock humor with the Plankton Family thinking Krabs is usually them as good is pretty well done.

There even is a bit of meta-analysis with the formula being in a book as a bit of a foreshadowing that's it the really not the secret formula. This show doesn't have the strongest continuity but it's a nice twist.

My favorite moment: When plankton tells Mr. Krabs he's surrounded and Krabs replies " You've planted grass? "