• Advertisement

Wumbo Ranks Billboard Year-End Hot 100 Charts! (Ahhh, the deed is done.)

Wumbo

Okay, we saw the worst of what 1982 had to offer. It wasn't very fun. But this best list will be fun, I promise you. It's the start of 80s music, after all!

And in the heat of the moment, I managed to find 10 awesome songs to compile a best list for this great year. Let's go! It's...

Wumbo's Top 10 Hits of 1982

Spoiler

You know, it's always been interesting to me how a band that released so many songs that are essentially about stalkers became one of the most charming bands of their time.

Yeah, it's The Police. I suppose that people were enchanted because they didn't really stop for critical thinking to find out what Sting was actually singing about. That would explain the song above being very popular at weddings...

Yeah. But we're not talking about that song, we're talking about a different one. One that became a hit a year earlier, and might be the most charming of the bunch.

10. "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" - The Police

Really, with songs like this under their belt, it's no wonder The Police became as revered as they were. This song is masterful, and is definitely one of the catchiest songs in the Police's catalog. Surprise! It's about a stalker.

I resolve to call her up

A thousand times a day

Pretty explicitly about a stalker. I don't know how people keep getting this wrong.

But if there were one song where I could see people ignoring the stalker message and pretend it's good and wholesome, it's this one. I mean, it isn't wholesome. It's fucking deranged. But that's part of the brilliance of it. This is like the ultimate example of pop irony paying off. Sorry, R.E.M.

The Police are three fantastic musicians. I can't think of one song I've heard of theirs where I wasn't intrigued at least a little. And this song is definitely one of the most captivating of the bunch. Ee-oh! Ee-oh!

http://ytcropper.com/cropped/YP59ee41b68b57c

Spoiler

Hall & Oates were an act I started out being ambivalent about when I started these lists, but quickly grew to love as I realized how much of an idiot I was for putting one of their songs on a Bottom 10. Seriously, Wumbo, what were you thinking?

Since then, they've received praise from me just for being an excellent pop duo with great instincts and supreme payoff. And what more can I do in '82 but show you guys yet another example of that?

9. "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)" - Hall & Oates

This is a song I definitely can go for. Yes can do.

There's so much to love about this song. It's so ethereally perfect, leading right up to that sax solo at the end. Its lush instrumentation combined with Daryl Hall's always-expressive vocals sells me completely.

Also, that bass line may have inspired "Billie Jean".

So it's got that going for it, which is nice. Inspiring one of the greatest songs of the 80's is certainly not something to leave off a resume. But this itself is one of the greatest songs of the 80s. It's simply a pop masterpiece. Take it away, Charlie.

http://ytcropper.com/cropped/cc59ef60852e771

Spoiler

The 80's. A time for sleek pop, ethereal new wave, and of course, disco!

...wait, what?

8. "Let's Groove" - Earth, Wind & Fire

What are you doing here? Come on, go back to the 70's! This isn't fair to the competition!

Well, if it's here, it's going in my Top 10. It's freakin' Earth, Wind & Fire with one of their catchiest and most memorable songs. I'm not sure about the robot voice that permeates the song... I suppose that was their way of "getting with the times"?... but the rest of it works wonderfully. Because it's Earth, Wind & Fire, and everything they do is amazing.

Sure, the song itself in a vacuum is a bit generic, but I suppose timing is important. And really, there wasn't anything like this in either decade. It's a weird amalgamation of 80s-inspired sounds and 70s-inspired disco. It works just fine for me. Earth, Wind & Fire can do no wrong in my book. so let's groove!

Spoiler

WUMBO WHY DO YOU HATE SOFT ROCK SO MUCH

HEY WUMBO WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU WHY YOU GOTTA WRITE OFF AN ENTIRE GENRE LIKE THAT

HEY WUMBO THIS IS JUST LIKE THAT TIME YOU SAID YOU DIDN'T UNDERSTAND FREESTYLE MAYBE YOU JUST DON'T GET SOFT ROCK HUH EVER THINK OF THAT

*breathes*

All right. So maybe I'm a bit hard on the soft rock genre. But with shit like "Eye in the Sky" becoming some of the most popular music of the 80's, can you blame me? I just don't like what it does to artists, okay? It seems as though many artists think you can't have a soft rock song without sounding completely dour and mopey. And that's just not music for me. I can't listen to it, it makes my skin crawl.

But yeah. There's no need to write the entire genre off, I realize that. Not when we have artists who take the format and make it fucking amazing, without exception.

7. "Open Arms" - Journey

Leave it to the wondrous voice of Steve Perry to justify this entire genre. See, I don't hate all soft rock! It just has to be, y'know, good!

And it's hard to go wrong with a ballad when you have Steve Perry at the helm. Seriously, people write off Journey as being this ultimate cheeseball of a band, and while that's not inaccurate, there's a reason why they still work as a band and are still fondly remembered today. And that's because Steve Perry is just a fucking amazing singer. You can tell in every performance he gives that he loves singing. He makes powerful vocals sound so effortless.

So he's the perfect candidate for a soft rock ballad such as this. While "Don't Stop Believin'" honestly got killed a bit for me due to overexposure, I find this song completely amazing each time I hear it. It's just a perfect love song, with a perfect vocalist to lead the way. So, thanks for saving soft rock, Journey. You prove that it's not all terrible, if only effort is put in.

Spoiler

In this retrospective of the 80's, let's take it back... to the 60's.

A decidedly different take on the song, this is the original version of "Tainted Love", as performed by Gloria Jones. So, how do Soft Cell do with it? Well, honestly I do like this version better, but I think Soft Cell do a decent job. More than decent, in fact.

6. "Tainted Love" - Soft Cell

Let's face it, there's a certain dated quality to a lot of 80s music. And this song is no exception. Coming at the height of dark-sounding new wave, I can't see this becoming popular after, say, 1984. But that still doesn't change that it sounds plain awesome.

I do like the original better. But this version ain't without its merit. There's a lot to like about it. It's got a better beat, and hey, I like new wave. so a new wave take on this song is definitely interesting, at least. Maybe not up to Gloria Jones' standards in terms of the vocals, but it gets the job done with a decidedly darker feel. Hey, it works for me. Worked for Rihanna too, apparently.

Not gonna lie, that beat is killer. Probably the main reason it made the list. But hey, it's an awesome reason. Can't say my list is tainted when a beat as good as this makes it.

Spoiler

God, I miss Tom Petty... where was I? Oh yeah.

There's a certain brand of rock music that is somewhere between country and rock, and isn't called "country rock". Tom Petty pulled this off flawlessly, but there were other artists in this subgenre known as "heartland rock". One of the other famous artists, who we'll be talking about here, is John Mellencamp, or as he was known this year, "John Cougar".

When I think of artists that are quintessentially American, as a Canadian, my mind immediately jumps to Tom Petty and John Mellencamp. There are certain aspects of their writing and their music that just scream "average joe American" to me. Now, this certainly isn't meant as a pejorative. Indeed, we need songs for the average joe American. Songs about two American kids growin' up in the heartland. Like this one.

5. "Jack & Diane" - John Cougar Mellencamp

Forgive me for not referring to him as "Cougar" throughout this review. I just... I can't. It's too silly. But anyway...

Yeah, this song has certainly held up over the years as a slice-of-life story. These have been told time and time again, from Julie and Johnnie to Tommy and Gina. But this is the song that probably most accurately portrays that feeling. Two clueless teenagers in love, doing whatever they please. Even if that means suckin' on a chili dog outside the Tasty Freeze. Hey, he's allowed to be corny. It's that kinda song.

I think my favourite parts of this song are the chorus and the bridge, where the attitudes and lyrics seem the most desperate. It's not all sunshine and roses for Jack and Diane, as you can plainly see. Pre-marital sex was still kind of taboo in certain regions, particularly the Bible belt. I don't know if there'll be much soul-savin' going on in this song.

This song isn't really like anything I've heard. It's honestly structured kind of weird, but I think it works. It's got this off-kilter feel with the band in the background, but I still think the drums and guitar come in at appropriate times to shake things up and space things out. I honestly love the song. One of those quintessential Americana songs that keeps you humming until the day's done.

Spoiler

The early 80's was probably the best time for fun, light-hearted pop rock. Not only in terms of quality, but of its success on the charts. You had acts from Pat Benatar to Rick Springfield releasing great hit songs that pumped you up and made it big.

But in terms of pure pop appeal, there's only one artist I would go-go to. Go... to... just play it.

4. "We Got the Beat" - The Go-Go's

In terms of individual songs, I'd probably put "Best Shot" over this one when combining pop and rock. But no band really consistently did it so well as The Go-Go's did. And this song is a perfect example of their fun-loving brand that would continue to define the 80s from here on out. But I think it peaked here.

Doesn't this song sound like something you'd crank up while driving in your convertible on a hot summer day, wind blowing through your hair? It sounds like a beach song, a party song, a fantastic 80's pop song. They certainly do have the beat.

Spoiler

Oh my god, this song is honestly so fucking douchey... but I love it all the same.

3. "Centerfold" - The J. Geils Band

But seriously, why should it matter what this guy thinks? Y'know, let women do what they want for money, "loss of innocence" be damned. I don't think we're really supposed to side with this guy, though. If we are, then... well, I can't deny it. I buy it. This song still rocks.

That's just a kickass beat. I can't front. The J. Geils Band have had a history of playing bluesy music in the 60s and 70s, but their time for first-class fame came with this song and this album. And honestly, I much prefer this J. Geils Band. They just have a way of making this type of music so much fun. Na-na-na-na-na-na!

Spoiler

Man, 1982 was a good time for sexually unsatisfied yet musically talented men. Wow, that sure was a sentence I wrote. Let's just get to the song.

2. "867-5309/Jenny" - Tommy Tutone

I think that when I really started getting into music and pop history, this is one of the standout songs that I really liked. Surprise surprise, here it is again. Jenny Jenny, who else can I turn to?

It's power pop. I was destined to like this. Don't judge me. Yes, it's another creepy stalker song, but it knows it and has fun with it, like The Police. The Police weren't a power pop group though, which is why they lost this battle.

Never has a phone number been so easy to remember. 867-5309 is the P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney of phone numbers. In fact, this got a lot of people calling that number asking for Jenny. People are so funny! *sigh*

Guys. Stop harassing people in the name of your fanbase. It's stupid, it's creepy, it's annoying, and it's harassment. For fuck's sake, people like this are the reason we have to use 555 numbers in works of fiction. Don't call numbers asking for Jenny, and don't throw pizzas on people's roofs because Walter White did it. It's not hard.

It's a good thing stupid people don't lower my opinion of the song itself, though, because it absolutely deserves a spot on my list for just being a kickass tune. Power pop always pumps me up, and this is no exception. Now, if you'll excuse me, there's a number I have to call...

What? It's the pizza guy. Jesus. I'm just driving to Albuquerque to... commit some... deeds. I'll be back.

Spoiler

That was a long trip back from Albuquerque. I have some relatives there that I wanted to share pizza with. What? You didn't think that... oh, no, no. That would make me a hypocrite! Um... where were we?

Oh, yes, yes. My #1 song is by John Mellencamp.

1. "Hurts So Good" - John Cougar Mellencamp

Some days you need a miraculous song to top the charts. Some days you just need a good, solid, sturdy rock tune. That's what we've got here.

John Co-... Mellencamp, like I said, shares many traits with Tom Petty, having that aura of Americana around him, being the voice of the small-town American boy. The lyrics here don't get so much into that as "Jack & Diane" does, but there's still that feeling. And the song is just awesome.

This is one of those songs that's just so boringly perfect that there's really not much to say about it. But it is the most perfect song of this year, and is definitely the rightful winner of this list. All my talk about the 80's starting in '82, and I pick a song that just as easily could've been from the 70's to top it. Oh well. Who knows what goes on in my head? All I know is that I didn't enjoy a single song more this year than I did this one. And it hurts to go against my original thesis. But it hurts so good.

Full List:

Spoiler

1. "Hurts So Good" - John Cougar

2. "867-5309/Jenny" - Tommy Tutone

3. "Centerfold" - The J. Geils Band

4. "We Got the Beat" - The Go-Go's

5. "Jack & Diane" - John Cougar

6. "Tainted Love" - Soft Cell

7. "Open Arms" - Journey

8. "Let's Groove" - Earth, Wind & Fire

9. "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)" - Hall & Oates

10. "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" - The Police

11. "Freeze-Frame" - The J. Geils Band

12. "Young Turks" - Rod Stewart

13. "I Ran (So Far Away)" - A Flock of Seagulls

14. "Our Lips Are Sealed" - The Go-Go's

15. "Kids in America" - Kim Wilde

16. "Don't You Want Me" - The Human League

17. "That Girl" - Stevie Wonder

18. "Don't Stop Believin'" - Journey

19. "Let It Whip" - Dazz Band

20. "Do I Do" - Stevie Wonder

21. "Working for the Weekend" - Loverboy

22. "Heat of the Moment" - Asia

23. "Edge of Seventeen" - Stevie Nicks

24. "Somebody's Baby" - Jackson Browne

25. "Private Eyes" - Hall & Oates

26. "Do You Believe in Love" - Huey Lewis and the News

27. "I Love Rock 'n Roll" - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

28. "Don't Talk to Strangers" - Rick Springfield

29. "Keep the Fire Burnin'" - REO Speedwagon

30. "Harden My Heart" - Quarterflash

31. "Take It Easy on Me" - Little River Band

32. "Man on Your Mind" - Little River Band

33. "Trouble" - Lindsey Buckingham

34. "Making Love" - Roberta Flack

35. "Vacation" - The Go-Go's

36. "The Other Woman" - Ray Parker Jr.

37. "Turn Your Love Around" - George Benson

38. "Rosanna" - Toto

39. "Think I'm in Love" - Eddie Money

40. "Love is In Control (Finger on the Trigger)" - Donna Summer

41. "Should I Do It" - The Pointer Sisters

42. "Oh, Pretty Woman" - Van Halen

43. "Hold Me" - Fleetwood Mac

44. "Waiting for a Girl Like You" - Foreigner

45. "Caught Up in You" - .38 Special

46. "Eye of the Tiger" - Survivor

47. "Did It in a Minute" - Hall & Oates

48. "Shake It Up" - The Cars

49. "Love's Been a Little Bit Hard on Me" - Juice Newton

50. "The Sweetest Thing (I've Ever Known)" - Juice Newton

51. "Only the Lonely" - The Motels

52. "Leather and Lace" - Stevie Nicks and Don Henley

53. "Goin' Down" - Greg Guidry

54. "Hot in the City" - Billy Idol

55. "Gloria" - Laura Branigan

56. "Mirror Mirror" - Diana Ross

57. "Crimson and Clover" - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

58. "Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny)" - Elton John

59. "One Hundred Ways" - Quincy Jones ft. James Ingram

60. "Who Can It Be Now?" - Men at Work

61. "Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)" - Christopher Cross

62. "Blue Eyes" - Elton John

63. "Take My Heart (You Can Have It If You Want It)" - Kool & the Gang

64. "I Keep Forgettin' (Every Time You're Near)" - Michael McDonald

65. "Make a Move on Me" - Olivia Newton-John

66. "Any Day Now" - Ronnie Milsap

67. "I've Never Been to Me" - Charlene

68. "Get Down on It" - Kool & the Gang

69. "It's Gonna Take a Miracle" - Deniece Williams

70. "Chariots of Fire" - Vangelis

71. "What's Forever For" - Michael Murphey

72. "Comin' In and Out of Your Life" - Barbra Streisand

73. "Take It Away" - Paul McCartney

74. "Always on My Mind" - Willie Nelson

75. "Yesterday's Songs" - Neil Diamond

76. "You Could Have Been with Me" - Sheena Easton

77. "Oh No" - Commodores

78. "Through the Years" - Kenny Rogers

79. "Here I Am" - Air Supply

80. "You Can Do Magic" - America

81. "Even the Nights Are Better" - Air Supply

82. "Why Do Fools Fall In Love?" - Diana Ross

83. "Leader of the Band" - Dan Fogelberg

84. "Wasted on the Way" - Crosby, Stills & Nash

85. "Waiting on a Friend" - The Rolling Stones

86. "Hooked on Classics" - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

87. "'65 Love Affair" - Paul Davis

88. "Ebony and Ivory" - Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder

89. "Pac-Man Fever" - Buckner & Garcia

90. "You Should Hear How She Talks About You" - Melissa Manchester

91. "Love Will Turn You Around" - Kenny Rogers

92. "Personally" - Karla Bonoff

93. "Cool Night" - Paul Davis

94. "Eye in the Sky" - The Alan Parsons Project

95. "Love in the First Degree" - Alabama

96. "Physical" - Olivia Newton-John

97. "Sweet Dreams" - Air Supply

98. "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" - Chicago

99. "Key Largo" - Bertie Higgins

100. "Abracadabra" - Steve Miller Band

• Like 3

First response to this year! Thoughts on:

11. "Freeze-Frame" - The J. Geils Band

12. "Young Turks" - Rod Stewart

13. "I Ran (So Far Away)" - A Flock of Seagulls

14. "Our Lips Are Sealed" - The Go-Go's

15. "Kids in America" - Kim Wilde

16. "Don't You Want Me" - The Human League

17. "That Girl" - Stevie Wonder

18. "Don't Stop Believin'" - Journey

19. "Let It Whip" - Dazz Band

21. "Working for the Weekend" - Loverboy

22. "Heat of the Moment" - Asia

23. "Edge of Seventeen" - Stevie Nicks

24. "Somebody's Baby" - Jackson Browne

25. "Private Eyes" - Hall & Oates

27. "I Love Rock 'n Roll" - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

28. "Don't Talk to Strangers" - Rick Springfield

30. "Harden My Heart" - Quarterflash

33. "Trouble" - Lindsey Buckingham

35. "Vacation" - The Go-Go's

38. "Rosanna" - Toto

39. "Think I'm in Love" - Eddie Money

42. "Oh, Pretty Woman" - Van Halen

43. "Hold Me" - Fleetwood Mac

44. "Waiting for a Girl Like You" - Foreigner

45. "Caught Up in You" - .38 Special

46. "Eye of the Tiger" - Survivor

47. "Did It in a Minute" - Hall & Oates

48. "Shake It Up" - The Cars

51. "Only the Lonely" - The Motels

52. "Leather and Lace" - Stevie Nicks and Don Henley

54. "Hot in the City" - Billy Idol

55. "Gloria" - Laura Branigan

57. "Crimson and Clover" - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

60. "Who Can It Be Now?" - Men at Work

61. "Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)" - Christopher Cross

64. "I Keep Forgettin' (Every Time You're Near)" - Michael McDonald

67. "I've Never Been to Me" - Charlene

68. "Get Down on It" - Kool & the Gang

70. "Chariots of Fire" - Vangelis

80. "You Can Do Magic" - America

81. "Even the Nights Are Better" - Air Supply

82. "Why Do Fools Fall In Love?" - Diana Ross

83. "Leader of the Band" - Dan Fogelberg

85. "Waiting on a Friend" - The Rolling Stones

88. "Ebony and Ivory" - Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder

89. "Pac-Man Fever" - Buckner & Garcia /

When you have the time, of course.

• Like 1

Pretty solid lists. I can see some painful cuts in "Eye of the Tiger," "Gloria," and "Edge of Seventeen" for your best list, but I do agree with a lot of the songs on said list.

Now, 4EverGreen already requested most of these, but I'd really like to know your thoughts on them:

Eye of the Tiger

Edge of Seventeen

Gloria

Shake It Up

Keep the Fire Burnin'

Kids in America

Who Can It Be Now?

I Love Rock n' Roll

Get Down on It

Edited by Pumpkinhead
  • Like 1

Steel, are there any songs in your list which 4EverGreen didn't mention? Would make it easier on me when I get around to it.

(Also no offense guys but I might need to start putting a limit on how many songs any one person can request, that's a little extreme up there, 4Ever.)

50 minutes ago, Graveyard Smash said:

Steel, are there any songs in your list which 4EverGreen didn't mention? Would make it easier on me when I get around to it.

Apparently, the only one that I mentioned that 4EG hasn't is "Keep the Fire Burnin'," so you can just go along with that.

5 hours ago, Graveyard Smash said:

(Also no offense guys but I might need to start putting a limit on how many songs any one person can request, that's a little extreme up there, 4Ever.)

Which is why I always request 8 to 10 songs :P

Anyway, since I have absolutely no songs to request, I'll just speak my thoughts on the list.

Spoiler
  • I really thought that you were gonna place "Eye of the Tiger" or "Don't Stop Believin'" on there but then again, that's my usual preference.
  • I also would've made "Centerfold" my favorite song from that year but seeing in on there is a delight.
  • Though to be honest, I can't really disagree with any of the songs in the Top 10. I was right in this year being one of the best in the '80s.
  • also jesus christ 4ever i just woke up why'd you gotta beat us all to the punch

• Like 1

Okay, so after I finish this, I'm going to set a maximum limit on 15 song requests per person. I think that's completely reasonable, and typically you guys go under that limit. I'm sorry, 4EverGreen, but the amount of songs you requested is insane, and I don't know if I'll be able to provide great commentary on all of them with the sheer number you've requested. Hopefully this will better allow everyone to get in on the fun and will cause you guys to make thoughtful choices about which songs you want to hear about.

With that said... oh boy, here we go.

"Freeze-Frame": Like I said, good era for J. Geils Band this was. This doesn't quite have the star quality that "Centerfold" has, but it's still definitely a fun song in its own right.

"Young Turks": It took a while, but I've finally found a Rod Stewart song I can say that I enjoy. I dunno, everything seemed to be working for this one. Usually I find Rod Stewart too sleazy, too boring, or too both for my tastes, but this one is great.

"I Ran (So Far Away)": Who doesn't love this tune? A classic example of early new wave making its way into pop.

"Our Lips Are Sealed": Not quite the force of pop power that "We Got the Beat" was, but still a ton of fun.

"Kids in America": This is a pretty good Go-Go's song in its own right.

"Don't You Want Me": I'm not a huge fan of The Human League, but there's no denying the intensity and catchiness of this song.

"That Girl": Stevie didn't start getting egregiously bad until about the mid-80's. He proves here that he still has some great songs in him at this point.

"Don't Stop Believin'": Most overplayed song of all time? Probably. But there's a reason for it. It still is one of the greatest pop songs of all time, even if overplay killed it a bit for me personally. The charm of the straightforward ballad "Open Arms" resonated with me more this year.

"Let It Whip": There were still enough funk acts in this year to prove that even though the 80s had started, the 70s hadn't quite died off yet, either. Even so, like the Earth, Wind & Fire song this year, this still feels like the 80s.

"Working for the Weekend": Oh, Loverboy. I actually had no idea that these guys actually got hits down south. I kinda figured this one had circulation at least, but you guys also allowed "Hot Girls in Love" a year later, which... okay. I like Loverboy fine, they know what they are, which is a cheesier version of Foreigner, and I can buy it.

"Heat of the Moment": I think this song definitely has presence, but it's lacking that really great moment in a sea of good ones.

"Edge of Seventeen": I like this song, I do. Maybe it goes on a bit too long for a song that doesn't have much going on in the melody, but I can still dig it.

"Somebody's Baby": Nice little Jackson Browne song. He's certainly done bigger and better, though.

"Private Eyes": Decent Hall & Oates song. I wouldn't put it in my top Hall & Oates songs, but it's there.

"I Love Rock n' Roll": I'm... not really sure how I feel about this one. I started out thinking it would be higher, but as the list grew on I realized I couldn't really put it anywhere near my Top 10. It's definitely a change from most of the stuff this year, but on its own it's just so... plain. Definitely has presence, though, I'll give it that.

"Don't Talk to Strangers": It ain't no "Jessie's Girl", but it's fine.

"Harden My Heart": Sax performance saves an otherwise okay song from being more towards the middle. We had a lot of sax songs this year, didn't we?

"Trouble": I honestly don't remember this one too well. I think the intro was really annoying but the rest of the song was good? Eh.

"Vacation": The most unmemorable of the Go-Go's songs, but still fun. Though they outdid "Vacation" with better vacation songs, in my opinion.

"Rosanna": Toto were a weird fucking group. Like, what was their deal? And what's the deal with this song? What am I supposed to feel during it? It's catchy enough that I don't hate it, but I can't find any sort of way to emotionally connect with it, either.

"Think I'm in Love": I feel like I should like Eddie Money more than I do. From my point of view, people just do what he does better. Not to say he's bad, but he's not a choice artist for me by any means.

"Oh, Pretty Woman": For a David Lee Roth take on a Roy Orbison song, this definitely could have gone worse. I guess it's a good enough fit, but give me either the original or Van Halen's own songs any day of the week.

"Hold Me": No strong feelings towards this song one way or the other, though I'm a bit disappointed because it's Fleetwood Mac.

"Waiting for a Girl Like You": This is a fine enough song, but again, bit disappointed because it comes from a band I really like, and yet this is just... okay.

"Caught Up in You": My mom loves .38 Special while I've never viewed them as much more than a discount Rick Springfield. And even so, "Hold on Loosely" is better and more fun than this.

"Eye of the Tiger": Okay, let me proposition something, guys: I've been thinking it over, and maybe... Survivor were never really any good. Yeah, yeah, I know, duh duh dunnn or whatever. But seriously. Listen to this song again. Is it really that good? You have the admittedly kickass opening, and then you have... what? It sounds like Journey trying on a motorcycle gang's clothes, and I far prefer authentic Journey. Call me a heathen, but I never felt this song lived up to its reputation of badassery that everyone else seems to hold it to. Sorry if this is the last list of mine you read because of this, but to me, it's the truth. It's just okay at best, and a lot of that comes from the admittedly great guitar riff. At the very least, it's still better than what Katy Perry did with the concept.

"Did It in a Minute": More lackluster and forgettable Hall & Oates song. Still Hall & Oates, though.

God, I'm not even close to being done, am I?

"Shake It Up": The Cars always make good music, but I much prefer their more new wavey-grounded roots to... whatever this is.

"Only the Lonely": I can't remember what this is. Was this a Roy Orbison cover too? I don't think so, I dunno.

"Leather and Lace": "Landslide" this ain't, as far as Stevie Nicks ballads go. I suppose it's nice, but I find it a bit boring.

"Hot in the City": This Billy Idol song makes me uncomfortable. I have no idea what the hell it was going for, but I don't like it. Points for trying, though, I guess?

"Gloria": I dunno, it's okay. Maybe I placed it a bit too low, but it really did fade into the background compared to everything else for me.

"Crimson and Clover": Christ, at least "I Love Rock n' Roll" was fun. What the hell is this?

"Who Can It Be Now?" I love Men at Work, but I honestly find this song insufferable. It's just not fun like something like "Overkill" or "Down Under", and it's not charmingly creepy like "Tainted Love" or "I Ran". It's just... awkward.

"Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)": Christopher Cross proves to be as mediocre as ever.

"I Keep Forgettin' (Every Time You're Near)": You'd think I would like this song because it provided the beat for "Regulate", but all it does is make me want to listen to that smooth song instead. I admittedly have to give it props for the beat, but Michael McDonald just sin't my style of music.

"I've Never Been to Me": Yawn.

"Get Down on It": Meh.

"Chariots of Fire": What am I supposed to say about this song? Next you'll be expecting me to review Stock Footage Sound Effect of Baby Crying #49. Yes. It exists. That doesn't make it relevant in a pop song context.

"You Can Do Magic": America the Boring.

"Even the Nights Are Better": I think I'm done talking about Air Supply now that the early 80s are finished in my review. Please don't prompt me to talk about them any more.

"Why Do Fools Fall in Love?": I tried not to be so hard on Diana Ross, but for real, this feels like a kid's song.

"Leader of the Band"

"Waiting on a Friend": Knowing the Stones can do much, much worse left this off the list, but my god is it tedious.

"Ebony and Ivory": Not a good song by any stretch of the word. But at least it was trying to accomplish something good. I don't think I can say that about any of the songs on my Worst List.

"Pac-Man Fever": Fucking kill me. Point to this song when anyone tells you the 80s were much better for music than today and you want to prove them wrong. They let this become a hit. Shame on them.

And finally...

"Keep the Fire Burnin'": I was truly surprised at how much this charmed me, especially since it's REO Speedwagon of all bands. But no, this is a perfectly good song. not great, but good.

Welcome to November, y'all! Another year almost over. Wish I could say it was a good year, but... well, some things are best left unsaid in some cases.

But hey! Another year means another year of doing this wonderful project! I honestly didn't think I'd make it this far, and now that the end appears in sight with about a year and a half to go, I see no reason to stop now. Of course, this insane rambling means nothing without your support, so thanks as always and I hope to keep things entertaining for y'all!

Now, the year is always closed off with a retrospective of the current year. So, 2017's pop music will be on the docket for December. Oh joy. Before we get to that pile of nothing, let's take a look at a fun year, shall we? One I've wanted to get to for a while now...

Hell. Yeah. The 90's are back with a vengeance! And as we sip on some gin and juice, we'll see what tops both lists by the end of the month!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Katniss said:

Oh nice, my birth year :swag: 

Looks like me and 4EverGreen aren't the only people on this thread born in great years of music :funny:

In all honesty though, I can't wait. 1994 seemed to have a lot of good music. 

• Like 1

First off, sorry for asking for SO many thoughts in regards to songs from 1982; that really WAS too much on my part! :rolleyes: I'll limit it to 15 song requests maximum from now on! :D Also, 1994 should be interesting. It's the last year that Nirvana will make the charts; Tom Petty should HOPEFULLY be on the charts somewhere this year, he had a few hit songs out, and I think The Eagles will be making a comeback this year! o.o It's going to be a GOOD one! :cool: Enough said! ;)

• Like 1

1994! The year that I would probably best associate with the 90's as a decade. All the trends are either here or just getting started, from gangsta rap to alt rock to dance music, it's all here. And a lot of it is great! Most of it.

No year is going to completely appeal to everyone. But I'm confident in still saying that yes, this is one of the best years of the 90's, if not the best. Everything is here and a lot of it is wildly great. The stuff that isn't? Well... that's what we have this list for, isn't it? You know how it goes by now. It's...

Wumbo's Bottom 10 Hits of 1994

Spoiler

Who the hell is this?

10. "Beautiful in My Eyes" - Joshua Kadison

I guess because Elton John was tied up with The Lion King, someone else had to come in and write his usual songs. Here's the thing: I may not be the hugest Elton John fan, but I still recognize that the guy is a living legend. He made some of the most iconic music of the 70s and still maintained popularity 20 years later. What I'm trying to say is, I could at least stomach this song coming from Elton. I have no use for it coming from Gerald Q. Nobody here.

This is... this is sub-Christian music, right here. At least Christian pop rock has that distinguishable stank to it. This has nothing, like... nothing at all. I really wish I had more, but that's all this song is: A guy with no star quality trying on Elton John's costume for size, and adding in a quick gospel choir at the end to maintain the illusion that he's a real artist that deserves to be big. But he's not. He's just not. Can we get some real stars up in here, please?

Spoiler

Ha ha! Look at this backwards time period where we thought songs like this were acceptable! Man, it's a good thing I'm reviewing a more recent year so we won't have to deal with shit like this on the-

9. "Indian Outlaw" - Tim McGraw

Country music, I swear to God.

...I thought you were one of the good guys, Tim McGraw. I thought you were better than this! Sure, you collaborated with Nelly to produce a horrendously boring song in 2005, but I certainly didn't expect this monstrosity from you.

I just... really? This is 1994 we're talking about here. That's not that far away! And yet we're still doing songs like this and making them popular, which is really the sad part. There's nothing here. Honest to God. It's just Native American cliché after Native American cliché. I honestly can't deny that it sounds good, but all the same, we did not need a song like this.

What was Tim McGraw thinking? If he released this now, his house would be up in flames! Granted, 23 years prior, this wasn't quite the controversy-causer it would be today. But still, some radio stations refused to play it! And I don't blame them. It's lazily written, hackneyed, and the most offensive song to Native Americans since that Sugarhill Gang song.

"Native Americans are just props!" is what I hear whenever I hear these songs. And really, by 1994, we should have all known better than this. Come on, Tim.

Spoiler

*sigh* I don't wanna hate on these guys, okay?

I think Crash Test Dummies are actually quite a good and distinctive band. And that's not just my Canadian bias talking. Name me one band that sounds like this. Honestly. You can't. And for better or for worse, Crash Test Dummies have carved out a distinct identity for themselves. (I don't really understand their beef with Tarzan, but that's another story.)

But then they had their biggest hit. And that's when things started getting so stupid I couldn't deal with it anymore.

8. "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" - Crash Test Dummies

This is one of the most inane things I've ever heard. And what makes it worse than your run-of-the-mill stupid song is that it's not aware that it's a stupid song. Very painfully unaware, in fact. The verses have these little vignettes that are... they're just... they're not even worth going into, they're just so goddamn dumb.

Like, they don't sound that way at the beginning, they trick you into thinking they're poignant stories. But they're not. They're really not. Here's the full disclosure of one of them:

Once there was this kid who
Got into an accident and couldn't come to school
But when he finally came back
His hair had turned from black into bright white
He said that it was from when
The cars had smashed him so hard

That's it! That is it. What is the point of that story? There's no emotional impact or really any impact at all! We're supposed to care that this kid's hair changed colour? Why? What the fuck are you trying to say?

And they all go on like that. There's a story about a girl who has birthmarks and doesn't want to change with the other girls in the changeroom. And... that's it! That's the end of the story. I'm not against the concept of this format, but god damn it, have a point!

But really, I'm sidestepping the main issue, which is this:

http://ytcropper.com/cropped/Ga5a1a0b0b5a85e

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you your chorus.

How fucking lazy and self-serving can you get with a chorus like this? Instead of coming up with some kind of lyrical structure to maybe tie these useless verse stories together, you just start humming like a moron. God damn it, Crash Test Dummies. I wanted to stick up for you! But with this song, you made it damn near impossible. And there's only one thing I can say to that:

Mmm mmm mmm mmm indeed. Useless.

Spoiler

1995 had a lot more bad than 1994 did. So while this song never made it onto the worst list of that year, here I can properly make fun of it for its badness. So thank you, 1994, for giving this song a second chance to qualify. Your efforts have not gone unappreciated.

7. "Tootsee Roll" - 69 Boyz

Ooh. Feel that bad. Just feel it. Doesn't it feel good? No, it doesn't. That's why it's bad.

For those of you who liked "Laffy Taffy" and "Whoomp, There It Is" and longed to see the two intertwine, well, here's a song for you. What's wrong with you?

Look, I have my limit with stupid songs. And this one teeters right up to the edge and jumps off. It's not even a particularly catchy song. The beat is honestly pretty weak, the song seems to rely on one or two lines to guarantee its longevity. Except I haven't heard this like I have "Whoomp There It Is". Why? Well, "Whoomp", for all its lack of ambition, at least had a catchy phrase to work around. "Cotton candy, sweetie go, let me see that Tootsee Roll" just doesn't resonate as well. As well, it seems to also be reminiscent of a 60's dance song, in that it actually teaches you how to do the "Tootsee Roll". I'm surprised this didn't show up in Silento's "Watch Me". I guess even he has more dignity than this.

Look, there's no way around this. This just sounds like ass. I hate the guy's voice, I hate the unfinished beat, and I hate how it all just collapses into a pile of sludge. This is a song that really makes me want a Starburst instead.

Spoiler

One of the most underrated artists of the 70s was Peter Frampton. His huge presence in his music was mesmerizing, and his live footage is just unstoppable in its memorability, rivalled only by mega-stars like Kiss. So, how do you go about fucking him up? Oh, I know! Let's get UB40 to perform one of his songs!

...Okay, it's not UB40. But it may as well be, Jesus.

6. "Baby, I Love Your Way" - Big Mountain

Oh yeah, that's good. Start this song off with a Kenny G-esque saxophone solo. Truly, a sign of quality right there.

Can I just ask something? Was it a trend for about five years to just desecrate the legacy of this song? First with Will to Power, and now this. Where does it stop?

Like I said, this isn't UB40. It's a band called Big Mountain. And while they're not quite as soul-crushingly bad as UB40, they share a lot of their aesthetics. Stiff, white-sounding reggae covers of superior songs. This is just a mess. Nothing sounds in sync, the drums sound as artificial as you can get, and the sax solos... God, why? I love the saxophone as much as anyone, but it has its place. And that place is not in this already messy song.

I'd also like to bring to attention that apparently a lot of people mistake this band for Bob Marley. Because, y'know, all reggae is Bob Marley, apparently. I have never seen a bigger insult to Bob Marley than to call this band Bob Marley. They're not even in the same ballpark. Bob Marley is major league, and Big Mountain is the kid that sits on the bench after striking out the whole season.

Just... fuck this. Stop ruining perfectly good genres and making them suck while bringing down classic songs with you. UB40 is not something to aspire to. That is all.

Spoiler

Oh, Jesus Christ, we had to get to this one, didn't we?

5. "The Sign" - Ace of Base

God, I hate this. Even all these years later, I still hate this band and this song. I'm sorry, on my best days, I can stomach ABBA but not this. This is where I draw the line when it comes to Swedish pop.

Everything about this song annoys the piss out of me. And I think that, unlike a lot of the songs already on this list, I may be a little alone in this one. But that's okay. I never made these lists to dissent to popular opinion, even if I can see the other side. Sure, maybe in a parallel universe, I could find this song irresistibly catchy. But for real, this song is less an earworm for me and moreso a tapeworm.

I can't stand it. It haunts my very nightmares and never lets me go. I find this entire composition obnoxious, like it's taunting me. The one blonde singer has this nasal lilt to her voice that I can't find myself to enjoy in the slightest. Maybe bits and pieces of this song objectively work, but it's not enough for me to ignore that the song on a whole is heinous. And I don't know where it belongs, but it doesn't belong anywhere near me, that's for sure.

Spoiler

It's 1994. And we don't need Michael Bolton's music anymore.

4. "Said I Loved You... But I Lied" - Michael Bolton

I've always been loath to completely dismiss this guy. He's never appeared on any of my worst lists until now. Sure, he's cornier than corn. But at the very least, I always felt a sense of authentic emotion to his music. His covers were misguided, his voice heinous. But there was always that earnestness there.

This sounds like commercialized crap Michael Bolton, and I absolutely hate it. I normally love Mutt Lange's production, but his slick beats do not fit Michael Bolton's tone at all, and the whole song feels off, like it's a discount Bryan Adams song. And Michael Bolton's a totally different crooner flavour than Bryan Adams. What's good for the goose does not work for the gander.

I'm just so disappointed, not least of the fact that I actually don't like making fun of Michael Bolton. The guy seems like a genuinely nice dude, creating charities for abuse victims and seeming to be in on the joke that is his music career, at least now. So instead, I'll just mourn this wasteland of a song and go watch Office Space.

Ha ha. "No-talent assclown".

Spoiler

3. "Don't Turn Around" - Ace of Base

I'm pretty sure this is just the same song as "The Sign", just more boring.

You know what? I'm going to go ahead now and retroactively apologize for every bad thing I've said about ABBA in the past. You know, they may not have been my flavour of music, but at least they were a flavour! And Todd accuses Lady Gaga of ripping Ace of Base off. Give Lady Gaga a little credit! At least she didn't rip herself off as blatantly as this!

Okay, well... never mind.

You'll notice that I keep deflecting to other artists when I try to talk about Ace of Base. That's because there's nothing to say about this song that I didn't say about "The Sign". In fact, there's even less to say, because the song is just that peripheral. There's no reason to listen to this unless you're making it your life's mission to listen to every Swedish song in existence. It sounds like boring garbage. And there's absolutely no way it could be good...

Unless of course, you're TINA MOTHERFUCKING TURNER. Ace of Base, leave the music to the professionals. Thanks.

Spoiler

1994 was a year where we really started eschewing straight up pop music and focusing on more underground genres before this point. Alt rock, gangsta rap, the like. That's not to say we didn't have any songs left that were pop or adult contemporary from this year; they were just a lot less common. And with that said, I can say with absolute certainty that 1994 did not need this song or this artist.

2. "Now and Forever" - Richard Marx

Holy God. First Michael Bolton, and now this. Why was it so hard to get rid of these guys? Was the world really clamoring for another Richard Marx song? Really?

And here's the really tragic thing: even for a Richard Marx song, this sucks. At least his stuff from beforehand had a distinct flavour of 80s cheese. Strip that all away to give him an acoustic guitar instead and what do you get? Shit!

I guess the reason for this song's popularity this year was that it was in an Alec Baldwin movie or something. I can't be bothered to look up the movie, because any movie with this as its signature song is not worth checking out. This is like, One Direction "Little Things" bad, in terms of composition. Thankfully, the lyrics aren't as hideous, but they are completely forgettable. And movie or no, this is not a song we needed in '94. Couldn't we get "Basket Case" or something in place of this? Christ.

Spoiler

Just play it.

1. "All That She Wants" - Ace of Base

IT'S THE SAME SONG. IT'S THE SAME GOD DAMN SONG EXCEPT IT'S EVEN MORE GOD DAMN BORING. FUCK THIS SONG, FUCK THIS BAND STRAIGHT TO HEEEEEEELLLLLLLL

This is the very worst of Ace of Base's singles. At least with "The Sign", you have some sort of tune. At least with "Don't Turn Around", a Tina Turner version exists. There is no good side to this one. The awful herky-jerky quasi-reggae beat only serves to show just how awkward this singer's voice is. How did we tolerate three singles from this ugly-sounding, vapid band? I can barely take one!

Thankfully, I think after this, I'm done with Ace of Base, possibly the worst band of the 90's. It's between them and UB40, anyway. And holy Christ, am I done with the bad music of 1994. Time to get to the good stuff, which will be coming soon. Right now, it's time to go listen to Dookie again.

• Like 3

I agree with most of your choices, but sorry man, I really like all those Ace of Base songs, including "The Sign" but to a smaller extent. I'm also surprised you didn't put that horrendous "I'll Take You There" cover anywhere on your Bottom 10 and I'd rather listen to all three of the AoB songs that charted over that.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wumbo said:

1994! The year that I would probably best associate with the 90's as a decade. All the trends are either here or just getting started, from gangsta rap to alt rock to dance music, it's all here. And a lot of it is great! Most of it.

No year is going to completely appeal to everyone. But I'm confident in still saying that yes, this is one of the best years of the 90's, if not the best. Everything is here and a lot of it is wildly great. The stuff that isn't? Well... that's what we have this list for, isn't it? You know how it goes by now. It's...

Wumbo's Bottom 10 Hits of 1994

Hide contents

Who the hell is this?

10. "Beautiful in My Eyes" - Joshua Kadison

I guess because Elton John was tied up with The Lion King, someone else had to come in and write his usual songs. Here's the thing: I may not be the hugest Elton John fan, but I still recognize that the guy is a living legend. He made some of the most iconic music of the 70s and still maintained popularity 20 years later. What I'm trying to say is, I could at least stomach this song coming from Elton. I have no use for it coming from Gerald Q. Nobody here.

This is... this is sub-Christian music, right here. At least Christian pop rock has that distinguishable stank to it. This has nothing, like... nothing at all. I really wish I had more, but that's all this song is: A guy with no star quality trying on Elton John's costume for size, and adding in a quick gospel choir at the end to maintain the illusion that he's a real artist that deserves to be big. But he's not. He's just not. Can we get some real stars up in here, please?

Hide contents

Ha ha! Look at this backwards time period where we thought songs like this were acceptable! Man, it's a good thing I'm reviewing a more recent year so we won't have to deal with shit like this on the-

9. "Indian Outlaw" - Tim McGraw

Country music, I swear to God.

...I thought you were one of the good guys, Tim McGraw. I thought you were better than this! Sure, you collaborated with Nelly to produce a horrendously boring song in 2005, but I certainly didn't expect this monstrosity from you.

I just... really? This is 1994 we're talking about here. That's not that far away! And yet we're still doing songs like this and making them popular, which is really the sad part. There's nothing here. Honest to God. It's just Native American cliché after Native American cliché. I honestly can't deny that it sounds good, but all the same, we did not need a song like this.

What was Tim McGraw thinking? If he released this now, his house would be up in flames! Granted, 23 years prior, this wasn't quite the controversy-causer it would be today. But still, some radio stations refused to play it! And I don't blame them. It's lazily written, hackneyed, and the most offensive song to Native Americans since that Sugarhill Gang song.

"Native Americans are just props!" is what I hear whenever I hear these songs. And really, by 1994, we should have all known better than this. Come on, Tim.

Hide contents

*sigh* I don't wanna hate on these guys, okay?

I think Crash Test Dummies are actually quite a good and distinctive band. And that's not just my Canadian bias talking. Name me one band that sounds like this. Honestly. You can't. And for better or for worse, Crash Test Dummies have carved out a distinct identity for themselves. (I don't really understand their beef with Tarzan, but that's another story.)

But then they had their biggest hit. And that's when things started getting so stupid I couldn't deal with it anymore.

8. "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" - Crash Test Dummies

This is one of the most inane things I've ever heard. And what makes it worse than your run-of-the-mill stupid song is that it's not aware that it's a stupid song. Very painfully unaware, in fact. The verses have these little vignettes that are... they're just... they're not even worth going into, they're just so goddamn dumb.

Like, they don't sound that way at the beginning, they trick you into thinking they're poignant stories. But they're not. They're really not. Here's the full disclosure of one of them:

Once there was this kid who
Got into an accident and couldn't come to school
But when he finally came back
His hair had turned from black into bright white
He said that it was from when
The cars had smashed him so hard

That's it! That is it. What is the point of that story? There's no emotional impact or really any impact at all! We're supposed to care that this kid's hair changed colour? Why? What the fuck are you trying to say?

And they all go on like that. There's a story about a girl who has birthmarks and doesn't want to change with the other girls in the changeroom. And... that's it! That's the end of the story. I'm not against the concept of this format, but god damn it, have a point!

But really, I'm sidestepping the main issue, which is this:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you your chorus.

How fucking lazy and self-serving can you get with a chorus like this? Instead of coming up with some kind of lyrical structure to maybe tie these useless verse stories together, you just start humming like a moron. God damn it, Crash Test Dummies. I wanted to stick up for you! But with this song, you made it damn near impossible. And there's only one thing I can say to that:

Mmm mmm mmm mmm indeed. Useless.

Reveal hidden contents

1995 had a lot more bad than 1994 did. So while this song never made it onto the worst list of that year, here I can properly make fun of it for its badness. So thank you, 1994, for giving this song a second chance to qualify. Your efforts have not gone unappreciated.

7. "Tootsee Roll" - 69 Boyz

Ooh. Feel that bad. Just feel it. Doesn't it feel good? No, it doesn't. That's why it's bad.

For those of you who liked "Laffy Taffy" and "Whoomp, There It Is" and longed to see the two intertwine, well, here's a song for you. What's wrong with you?

Look, I have my limit with stupid songs. And this one teeters right up to the edge and jumps off. It's not even a particularly catchy song. The beat is honestly pretty weak, the song seems to rely on one or two lines to guarantee its longevity. Except I haven't heard this like I have "Whoomp There It Is". Why? Well, "Whoomp", for all its lack of ambition, at least had a catchy phrase to work around. "Cotton candy, sweetie go, let me see that Tootsee Roll" just doesn't resonate as well. As well, it seems to also be reminiscent of a 60's dance song, in that it actually teaches you how to do the "Tootsee Roll". I'm surprised this didn't show up in Silento's "Watch Me". I guess even he has more dignity than this.

Look, there's no way around this. This just sounds like ass. I hate the guy's voice, I hate the unfinished beat, and I hate how it all just collapses into a pile of sludge. This is a song that really makes me want a Starburst instead.

Reveal hidden contents

One of the most underrated artists of the 70s was Peter Frampton. His huge presence in his music was mesmerizing, and his live footage is just unstoppable in its memorability, rivalled only by mega-stars like Kiss. So, how do you go about fucking him up? Oh, I know! Let's get UB40 to perform one of his songs!

...Okay, it's not UB40. But it may as well be, Jesus.

6. "Baby, I Love Your Way" - Big Mountain

Oh yeah, that's good. Start this song off with a Kenny G-esque saxophone solo. Truly, a sign of quality right there.

Can I just ask something? Was it a trend for about five years to just desecrate the legacy of this song? First with Will to Power, and now this. Where does it stop?

Like I said, this isn't UB40. It's a band called Big Mountain. And while they're not quite as soul-crushingly bad as UB40, they share a lot of their aesthetics. Stiff, white-sounding reggae covers of superior songs. This is just a mess. Nothing sounds in sync, the drums sound as artificial as you can get, and the sax solos... God, why? I love the saxophone as much as anyone, but it has its place. And that place is not in this already messy song.

I'd also like to bring to attention that apparently a lot of people mistake this band for Bob Marley. Because, y'know, all reggae is Bob Marley, apparently. I have never seen a bigger insult to Bob Marley than to call this band Bob Marley. They're not even in the same ballpark. Bob Marley is major league, and Big Mountain is the kid that sits on the bench after striking out the whole season.

Just... fuck this. Stop ruining perfectly good genres and making them suck while bringing down classic songs with you. UB40 is not something to aspire to. That is all.

Reveal hidden contents

Oh, Jesus Christ, we had to get to this one, didn't we?

5. "The Sign" - Ace of Base

God, I hate this. Even all these years later, I still hate this band and this song. I'm sorry, on my best days, I can stomach ABBA but not this. This is where I draw the line when it comes to Swedish pop.

Everything about this song annoys the piss out of me. And I think that, unlike a lot of the songs already on this list, I may be a little alone in this one. But that's okay. I never made these lists to dissent to popular opinion, even if I can see the other side. Sure, maybe in a parallel universe, I could find this song irresistibly catchy. But for real, this song is less an earworm for me and moreso a tapeworm.

I can't stand it. It haunts my very nightmares and never lets me go. I find this entire composition obnoxious, like it's taunting me. The one blonde singer has this nasal lilt to her voice that I can't find myself to enjoy in the slightest. Maybe bits and pieces of this song objectively work, but it's not enough for me to ignore that the song on a whole is heinous. And I don't know where it belongs, but it doesn't belong anywhere near me, that's for sure.

Reveal hidden contents

It's 1994. And we don't need Michael Bolton's music anymore.

4. "Said I Loved You... But I Lied" - Michael Bolton

I've always been loath to completely dismiss this guy. He's never appeared on any of my worst lists until now. Sure, he's cornier than corn. But at the very least, I always felt a sense of authentic emotion to his music. His covers were misguided, his voice heinous. But there was always that earnestness there.

This sounds like commercialized crap Michael Bolton, and I absolutely hate it. I normally love Mutt Lange's production, but his slick beats do not fit Michael Bolton's tone at all, and the whole song feels off, like it's a discount Bryan Adams song. And Michael Bolton's a totally different crooner flavour than Bryan Adams. What's good for the goose does not work for the gander.

I'm just so disappointed, not least of the fact that I actually don't like making fun of Michael Bolton. The guy seems like a genuinely nice dude, creating charities for abuse victims and seeming to be in on the joke that is his music career, at least now. So instead, I'll just mourn this wasteland of a song and go watch Office Space.

Ha ha. "No-talent assclown".

Reveal hidden contents

3. "Don't Turn Around" - Ace of Base

I'm pretty sure this is just the same song as "The Sign", just more boring.

You know what? I'm going to go ahead now and retroactively apologize for every bad thing I've said about ABBA in the past. You know, they may not have been my flavour of music, but at least they were a flavour! And Todd accuses Lady Gaga of ripping Ace of Base off. Give Lady Gaga a little credit! At least she didn't rip herself off as blatantly as this!

Okay, well... never mind.

You'll notice that I keep deflecting to other artists when I try to talk about Ace of Base. That's because there's nothing to say about this song that I didn't say about "The Sign". In fact, there's even less to say, because the song is just that peripheral. There's no reason to listen to this unless you're making it your life's mission to listen to every Swedish song in existence. It sounds like boring garbage. And there's absolutely no way it could be good...

Unless of course, you're TINA MOTHERFUCKING TURNER. Ace of Base, leave the music to the professionals. Thanks.

Reveal hidden contents

1994 was a year where we really started eschewing straight up pop music and focusing on more underground genres before this point. Alt rock, gangsta rap, the like. That's not to say we didn't have any songs left that were pop or adult contemporary from this year; they were just a lot less common. And with that said, I can say with absolute certainty that 1994 did not need this song or this artist.

2. "Now and Forever" - Richard Marx

Holy God. First Michael Bolton, and now this. Why was it so hard to get rid of these guys? Was the world really clamoring for another Richard Marx song? Really?

And here's the really tragic thing: even for a Richard Marx song, this sucks. At least his stuff from beforehand had a distinct flavour of 80s cheese. Strip that all away to give him an acoustic guitar instead and what do you get? Shit!

I guess the reason for this song's popularity this year was that it was in an Alec Baldwin movie or something. I can't be bothered to look up the movie, because any movie with this as its signature song is not worth checking out. This is like, One Direction "Little Things" bad, in terms of composition. Thankfully, the lyrics aren't as hideous, but they are completely forgettable. And movie or no, this is not a song we needed in '94. Couldn't we get "Basket Case" or something in place of this? Christ.

Reveal hidden contents

Just play it.

1. "All That She Wants" - Ace of Base

IT'S THE SAME SONG. IT'S THE SAME GOD DAMN SONG EXCEPT IT'S EVEN MORE GOD DAMN BORING. FUCK THIS SONG, FUCK THIS BAND STRAIGHT TO HEEEEEEELLLLLLLL

This is the very worst of Ace of Base's singles. At least with "The Sign", you have some sort of tune. At least with "Don't Turn Around", a Tina Turner version exists. There is no good side to this one. The awful herky-jerky quasi-reggae beat only serves to show just how awkward this singer's voice is. How did we tolerate three singles from this ugly-sounding, vapid band? I can barely take one!

Thankfully, I think after this, I'm done with Ace of Base, possibly the worst band of the 90's. It's between them and UB40, anyway. And holy Christ, am I done with the bad music of 1994. Time to get to the good stuff, which will be coming soon. Right now, it's time to go listen to Dookie again.

At least Weird Al made an awesome parody of Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm. Man, that song, it's baaad. Not in the good way either, it's just awful. The lyrics just baffle me.

Edited by CyanideFishbone
  • Like 1

I think 1994 pretty much ENDED Richard Marx's singing career...whatever there WAS of it! :rolleyes: But at least his 1980's songs, despite some of them being a little bit on the cheesy side, are good enough to listen to. All I want to know is, why in the WORLD did DISNEY decide it was a GOOD idea to give the "Hercules" ballad "Go the Distance" to Michael Bolton in 1997?! o.o They already HAD his bad mistake in 1994 to judge him by! If they had given the ballad to ANYONE else, even FREAKING Phil Collins, it WOULD'VE won the Best Song Oscar for 1997! But instead, we got the WORST Best Song of the Year Oscar in history: FREAKING CELINE DION and that GOD-AWFUL "MY HEART WILL GO ON" song! It's ALMOST as BAD as ANYTHING that Justin Bieber has put out! :evil: I'm sorry, but there are GREAT Canadian singers, like Neil Young, Bryan Adams, and Alanis Morrisette. But when they're bad, they are PAINFULLY Justin Bieber bad! :rolleyes: Let's get to the GOOD stuff already! :cool: (Which I would ACTUALLY qualify Ace of Base as being at LEAST better than Michael Bolton or Richard Marx were, this year!) :hysterical: Enough said! ;)

Man... this is gonna be a good one.

1994 was a year of primarily good songs. But not just good songs. Great songs. But not just great songs. Songs which changed the face of the decade forever.

Out with the old, in with the new. This certainly wasn't the first year that would feature songs that went against the pop mainstream, but this was the year in the 90s that they came out in full force. Everything from adult alternative to alt rock to gangsta rap to Eurodance... it must have felt like a new, fresh landscape.

And from that landscape we have ten damn good songs to look at. Won't you join me? Let's get right into...

Wumbo's Top 10 Hits of 1994

Spoiler

This was definitely the year when gangsta rap started taking over. 1993 was its breakthrough, 1994 was the start of the takeover. We started seeing the really big names getting bonafide hits on the pop chart. Warren G, Tupac, and of course, Snoop Doggy Dogg.

People forget amidst the Katy Perry cameos and the Jason Derulo cameos and the Martha Stewart cameos that Snoop Dogg was once signed to Death Row Records, the label for dirty, hardcore gangsta rap. And after his feature on Dr. Dre's "G Thang", he wasted no time making a name for himself.

10. "What's My Name?" - Snoop Doggy Dogg

I feel like amidst Tupac and Biggie, Snoop Dogg kinda gets pushed aside when it comes to hardcore gangsta rap. And it's true, his persona is definitely a bit sillier than those two. He turns into a literal dog in this video, for Christ's sake, like an Animorph. But once you actually get into the song, Snoop Dogg's edge and flow is absolutely irresistible. Seriously, he's rapping like a mix between Cypress Hill and Dr. Dre here. It's awesome.

But what's even more awesome than that is the constant sample of "Atomic Dog". Channeling George Clinton is never a bad thing, and his music proved to be a driving force behind the popularity of G-funk, another great genre that made it big this year. More on that later. Snoop Dogg and G-funk go together like cookies and cream. And this is one dog you can't put down.

Christ, did I really just say that? Holy shit, it's only my first entry! Better tone it down for the next one...

Spoiler

Then again, maybe I should just embrace the gangsta lifestyle. It does take up a good chunk of my list, after all.

9. "Bop Gun (One Nation)" - Ice Cube ft. George Clinton

This video, if not the song, basically proved that George Clinton was the one that ruled rap music this year. Look at Ice Cube in this video. "I dunno George, your parties are kinda wild..." You were a member of N.W.A., dude. Buck up.

But if this song's any indication, yes, George Clinton does deserve to rule. It's actually amazing just how much he inspired the G-funk genre. With grooves and samples like this, it's not hard to see why. This is the perfect chill vibe to emulate with just enough edge for a fun gangsta rap song. It ain't nothin' but a G thang.

The beat kind of steals the show, but Ice Cube still holds his own as always. His presence in a song is always powerful, and even in a chill song like this, it's no exception. The song basically works as a gangsta rap love letter to George Clinton and Parliament. Ice Cube and George Clinton go together like cookies and cream. And this is one dog... wait.

Spoiler

I don't think it can be overstated just how much I miss Tom Petty. I wasn't exaggerating when I said I thought he was the coolest man in rock n' roll, period.

Something about him. He made the art of making music seem so effortless and fun. You got the impression that he was always having the time of his life doing what he was doing. It never felt like he was trying to be anybody, or do any sort of genre. He just was what he was, and what he was was fantastic.

And so, after years of neglecting him on these charts, I think it's finally time to pay tribute to just a fantastic song.

8. "Mary Jane's Last Dance" - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

And now that we've all seen this video, I suppose we can also ask ourselves: what the fuck was wrong with this guy?

No, I can't front. I absolutely love this video. It's so delightfully dark and wrong. You know, Tom Petty was never remembered as a music video artist, but really, quite a few of his videos fit that bill. He knew his way around the MTV Generation. and as usual, he sure knew his way around a song.

This is just a fantastic groove. It feels indistinguishable from their earlier stuff. That's the thing with tom Petty. He never had to go away or drastically change his sound, because we all wanted him around anyway. Because he made awesome music.

Some say this song is a drug song, some say it's a straightforward goodbye song to an ex-lover. I choose the drug route myself, but it works either way. What matters is that you've got Tom Petty, smooth guitar, a harmonica, and one hell of a kickass song. This may not have been a typical 1994 song, but it sure was appreciated. Rest in peace, Tom. And may you never be handled the way Kim Basinger was in this video. Geez.

Spoiler

As stated before, gangsta rap was in full swing by this year, owing it popularity to artists like Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube, George Clinton incidentally. But with gangsta rap did come this undercurrent of misogyny in hip hop.

Just, y'know, your run-of-the-mill references to "bitches" and "hoes". Seems pretty sad that I just called that "run-of-the-mill", but that was the state it was in. Now, I could go on and on about how white misogynist nonsense typically goes ignored while black artists and black music styles typically take the brunt of the criticism, but rather than do that, I think I'll just let the ladies speak for themselves. And this year, I didn't see anyone do it better than the Queen.

7. "U.N.I.T.Y." - Queen Latifah

"Who you callin' a bitch?!" the song yells, and really, what more do you need than that? Well, you probably need more to make a proper song that can chart, but that's the great thing about this song. It exists.

I think if we're going to have criticism of misogyny in rap culture, it's best to come from the mouths of who it gets directed at most frequently: black women. And after this song, I'm surprised hip hop didn't just back off for a few years and let women take the reins. I don't know how well this song is remembered today, but I'd put it up there with "Gangsta's Paradise" as rap songs that shaped the discourse in criticizing the gangsta lifestyle. And this song does it in a way that's still great to jam to. It's like a more confrontational "Waterfalls" and a more fun-sounding "Gangsta's Paradise". A happy medium. That saxophone sample really helps that mood.

Now I'll admit I still do love a lot of gangsta rap songs that have morally bad messages concerning women. And that's why I think these songs are even more important, to provide that perspective that challenges my view of those songs. And have a bomb ass beat while doing so. Who you callin' a bitch? Not Queen Latifah, I hope. She'll smack you into next Tuesday.

Spoiler

Sometimes you need complex, intellectual reasons to like a song. And sometimes you just need Gin Blossoms. Hell yeah.

6. "Found Out About You" - Gin Blossoms

I love this band. I love even more that they were one of the alt rock bands to actually get big on the Billboard charts in the 90's, so I can talk about them. They're just so... good.

I've heard many a perfect pop song from this band, and this may be one of the most perfect ones of them all There was no band that was this tight with their grooves at this time. This is a hell of an earworm the whole way through. From the verses to the chorus to the guitar solo. It's all great.

I'm hard-pressed to pick a favourite Gin Blossoms song. You'll recall they topped my 1996 list. But this one's gotta be up there too. There's a certain melancholy to this band's pop sensibilities that I can't quite put my finger on, but it's a joy to listen to all the same.

Spoiler

In addition to the gangsta rap, G-funk, and alt rock, R&B was still a huge mainstay in the mid-90's. You have Boyz II Men's smash hit of this year, and much more from Mariah Carey, Aaliyah, and the like. But while these are all good artists and I respect them all for their contributions to the 90s pop scene, this year I felt there was one R&B song that stood above the rest, and possibly influenced one of my favourite songs of the decade to come. Here it is.

5. "Gangsta Lean" - DRS

Now here's a masterful song, somewhere in between Boyz II Men and Bone Thugs-n-Harmony. I definitely see a lot of parallels between this song and "Tha Crossroads", one of my favourites of the decade. But this song combines the heartache and sadness of that song with some Boyz II Men-level performances, and just turns that emotion up to eleven. some might find it histrionic, but I find it just plain beautiful.

You just don't really hear songs like this anymore. We've cultivated a culture where men are afraid to show emotions for fear of feeling weak. Here's a song that should just crush all those assumptions to the ground, because it's one of the most powerful songs of the year. It tugs at your heartstrings while still maintaining that street cred for the group.

God, I love this song. This is probably the best Boyz II Men song I've ever heard. It's not hard to see where they got their inspiration from. But by forgoing Boyz II Men's usual subject matter and instead making it about the dangers of gangsta life, they add a new, refreshing spin to it. One that Bone Thugs-n-Harmony would take later and spin themselves. But in terms of 1994, this song definitely rises to the top of the crop.

Spoiler

Wait, wait, no, this was the best R&B song. Can't go wrong with not one, but two powerful female acts in one song.

4. "Whatta Man" - Salt-n-Pepa and En Vogue

There has to be a better video quality out there for this song. But since I couldn't find it, let's ignore that and talk about the song.

This is a re-interpretation of the 1968 song "What a Man" by Linda Lyndell. And while it works perfectly fine as a sexy soul song, this version with Salt-n-Pepa and En Vogue blows it out of the fucking water. The combined power of the two acts just blows me away. You have En Vogue on the chorus, sounding as beautiful as ever. And you have Salt-n-Pepa handling the verses, re-interpreting the song's message to describe what they like in a man, namely a good family man who's also good in the sack. It really just focuses the song on the female perspective, while still celebrating the great men in these women's lives. Honestly, it's an amazingly sweet song, one you really don't see like this.

With so many meatheaded rap songs about hoes and bitches these days with minimal effort put in, it's nice to throw back and listen to a really good jam from some really fine ladies. Say it again!

Spoiler

So... with all that stuff I said in the Queen Latifah and Salt-n-Pepa entries, you'd think I'd be out of hip hop songs by now, right? After decrying the misogyny and ugly attitudes displayed in them? Well, I hope you can forgive me for this one, because I've already forgiven myself.

3. "Gin and Juice" - Snoop Doggy Dogg

"Need to get a jobby job." God, I love this video.

But even more than the video, this song. I can forgive a lot if you provide me with one of them G-funk beats. and this might be the best one yet, hooking me from the very beginning. This is the song that turned Snoop into a household name. And while he may have never risen to legend status like Tupac or Biggie, he's still around today and people seem to want to keep him around. Wouldn't you?

Snoop Dogg is kinda just so cool that he can release anything and it doesn't matter. I'll buy it. He could spend half the song farting into the microphone "Just Lose It" style and I might still at least give it a listen. But it's his early stuff that really shows his musical skill. The way he manoeuvres from line to line is just so pleasing to listen to. Gives off the exact vibe this song needs. Rollin' down the street, smokin' indo, sippin' on gin and juice. This sounds like a party I'd want to go to. Even it does start getting shot up by Ricky Harris. It's his house after all.

I can't praise this song enough. There's a reason it's stuck with me, and that's because it might be one of the best hip hop songs of the decade. Accomplishing exactly what it wanted to do, which was just to throw one cool party into a song. Biyatch!

Spoiler

I'm a certified sucker for a good soft rock song. But it has to be real good. None of this half-assy, mealy-mouthed crap. Really tug at my heartstrings and make me cry, and I'll be your devoted fan forever.

That's the case with this song. From a band that should have gotten bigger, but at least have this to celebrate in their legacy.

2. "Linger" - The Cranberries

I legitimately don't think I could say a thing about this song that wouldn't take away from its beauty. It is a perfect pop song, a perfectly heartbreaking song, and one that has always been near and dear to my heart, right up there with "Kiss Me" and "Iris". I'm a sap? Well, call me a maple tree then, because I refuse to hide my love for this song.

Just... god damn. I refuse to go on any more. Just let Dolores's voice blow you away with the lush instrumentation, and get back to me.

Spoiler

You have to be pretty damn good to beat one of my most treasured songs of all time. Well, folks, this song fits the bill. I've talked before about how it seemed G-funk ruled the year. Well, if I'm going to make that claim, it seems only fair that the best of the bunch top the list. I mean, my God. This song transcends. It's hard to get cooler than Snoop Dogg, but this song manages it. And as such, it is my favourite hit song of 1994.

REGULATOOOOOOORS

1. "Regulate" - Warren G ft. Nate Dogg

First off, this song uses a pretty heavy sampling of Michael McDonald's "I Keep Forgettin'", a song from 1982 which I just covered in October. Clearly, this song makes better use of the beat than that one ever did, combining it with Bob James' "Sign of the Times" and Dr. Dre's "Let Me Ride". And then of course, there's Nate Dogg.

We truly lost a legend in hip hop history when we lost this guy. There's no doubt in my mind that if he were still alive today, you'd still be seeing him around, like Snoop Dogg. He's just got that appeal to his voice that makes him a mainstay for hip hop. But Warren G holds his own too, delivering a cool flow reminiscent of early rappers but skilled enough to stay in '94 as well.

I just love it bouncing back between Warren G and Nate Dogg, two great hip hop artists and one lowkey fantastic song. A perfect song to sum up 1994's music. Great tune for a great year.

Full List:

Spoiler

1. "Regulate" - Warren G ft. Nate Dogg

2. "Linger" - The Cranberries

3. "Gin and Juice" - Snoop Doggy Dogg

4. "Whatta Man" - Salt-n-Pepa and En Vogue

5. "Gangsta Lean" - DRS

6. "Found Out About You" - Gin Blossoms

7. "U.N.I.T.Y." - Queen Latifah

8. "Mary Jane's Last Dance" - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

9. "Bop Gun (One Nation)" - Ice Cube ft. George Clinton

10. "What's My Name?" - Snoop Doggy Dogg

11. "Prayer for the Dying" - Seal

12. "Loser" - Beck

13. "Anytime You Need a Friend" - Mariah Carey

14. "I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)" - Meat Loaf

15. "Fantastic Voyage" - Coolio

16. "Come to My Window" - Melissa Etheridge

17. "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" - Prince

18. "Hero" - Mariah Carey

19. "Without You"/"Never Forget You" - Mariah Carey

20. "I'm the Only One" - Melissa Etheridge

21. "What Is Love" - Haddaway

22. "Anything" - SWV

23. "Bump n' Grind" - R. Kelly

24. "Shine" - Collective Soul

25. "Your Body's Callin'" - R. Kelly

26. "Keep Ya Head Up" - 2Pac

27. "This D.J." - Warren G

28. "Because the Night" - 10,000 Maniacs

29. "All I Wanna Do" - Sheryl Crow

30. "Back in the Day" - Ahmad

31. "Crazy" - Aerosmith

32. "Back & Forth" - Aaliyah

33. "Got Me Waiting" - Heavy D & the Boyz

34. "Understanding" - Xscape

35. "I'm Ready" - Tevin Campbell

36. "Any Time, Any Place" - Janet Jackson

37. "December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)" - The Four Seasons

38. "(At Your Best) You Are Love" - Aaliyah

39. "Shoop" - Salt-n-Pepa

40. "I'll Make Love to You" - Boyz II Men

41. "Mr. Vain" - Culture Beat

42. "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" - Elton John

43. "Love Sneakin' Up On You" - Bonnie Raitt

44. "Endless Love" - Luther Vandross ft. Mariah Carey

45. "And Our Feelings" - Babyface

46. "I Wanna Be Down" - Brandy

47. "I'll Take You There" - General Public

48. "Amazing" - Aerosmith

49. "Always in My Heart" - Tevin Campbell

50. "Always" - Erasure

51. "Stroke You Up" - Changing Faces

52. "I Miss You" - Aaron Hall

53. "Return to Innocence" - Enigma

54. "Cry for You" - Jodeci

55. "Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through" - Meat Loaf

56. "Groove Thang" - Zhané

57. "Funkdafied" - Da Brat

58. "Flava in Ya Ear" - Craig Mack

59. "Another Night" - Real McCoy

60. "Stay" - Eternal

61. "Here Comes the Hotstepper" - Ini Kamoze

62. "Getto Jam" - Domino

63. "Because of Love" - Janet Jackson

64. "The Power of Love" - Céline Dion

65. "I Swear" - All-4-One

66. "Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia)" - Us3

67. "Never Keeping Secrets" - Babyface

68. "Just Kickin' It" - Xscape

69. "Streets of Philadelphia" - Bruce Springsteen

70. "I Can See Clearly Now" - Jimmy Cliff

71. "Secret" - Madonna

72. "You Mean the World to Me" - Toni Braxton

73. "100% Pure Love" - Crystal Waters

74. "Can We Talk" - Tevin Campbell

75. "Whoomp! (There It Is)" - Tag Team

76. "Wild Night" - John Mellencamp ft. Meshell Ndegeocello

77. "Don't Take the Girl" - Tim McGraw

78. "If You Go" - Jon Secada

79. "Again" - Janet Jackson

80. "Dreams" - Gabrielle

81. "Everyday" - Phil Collins

82. "I'll Remember" - Madonna

83. "Breathe Again" - Toni Braxton

84. "Always" - Bon Jovi

85. "Stay (I Missed You)" - Lisa Loeb and Nine Stories

86. "When Can I See You" - Babyface

87. "All for Love" - Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart and Sting

88. "Please Forgive Me" - Bryan Adams

89. "So Much in Love" - All-4-One

90. "Never Lie" - Immature

91. "Beautiful in My Eyes" - Joshua Kadison

92. "Indian Outlaw" - Tim McGraw

93. "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" - Crash Test Dummies

94. "Tootsee Roll" - 69 Boyz

95. "Baby, I Love Your Way" - Big Mountain

96. "The Sign" - Ace of Base

97. "Said I Loved You... But I Lied" - Michael Bolton

98. "Don't Turn Around" - Ace of Base

99. "Now and Forever" - Richard Marx

100. "All That She Wants" - Ace of Base

• Like 3

Thoughts on:

Prayer for the Dying

Keep Ya Head Up (only #26??)

Stay (I Missed You)

You Mean the World to Me

Amazing

Your Body's Callin'

Bump n' Grind

Here Comes the Hotstepper (Fred already requested it, but I need to mention that I remember that you peaked this a lot higher on your 1995 rankings)

I'll Take You There

I Can See Clearly Now

Edited by Steel Skeet
  • Like 1