• Advertisement

What are some quotes that have been overquoted to death to the point where you can't stand them and want them to just disappear off Earth?

E.V.I.L.

I'd say 95% of these are the constant Patrick pre-movie "Witty" lines that everyone quotes. Examples?

-Is Mayonaise an instrument

-KICKING, I WANT TO DO SOME KICKING

-I Love You

-THIS IS PATRICK

-Wumbology

-Ugly Barnacle (sorry UB)

-I can't see my forehead

-Oh boy! 3 AM

-etc. etc.

maybe I'm being an old grump, but I can't stand to hear quotes that have been said 3093095056032523092 times, especially when there's so many patrick quotes I DO LIKE such as

-my mind is nothing but an enigma

-Knowledge cannot replace friendship, i'd rather be an idiot than lose you

-Let's just take Bikini Bottom and push it somewhere else (though memes could ruin this one for me too)

-I need to wear my teeth and brush my pants!

-It's the apocalypse, office products are falling from the sky!

-Are you Squidward? Are you Squidward now?

(notice how these quotes aren't quoted in RL so often)

or Patrick's moments of dumb that solve everything such as

-Patrick trying to collect the air of the balloon

-Patrick having bad breath and opening himself to tentacle acres

-Patrick actually getting Bikini Bottom to push the city

-Having a to do list of nothing

-Must get an ice cream

(notice how these are moments rather than quotes that are always memefied)

I realize I've been rambling only about Patrick when this applies to everyone, but really, he's the character who I have this main gripe with. It's especially shameful as a lot of the above quotes used to be hilarious, but lost so much value when people kept saying them every darn chance they got. I can see why people hate memes now. 

For moments I can't stand outside Patrick that are overquoted to death

"That smelly, smell smell that smells smelly" (too unbothered to get it right)

I'm sure there's more, but one I absolutely despise:

"CHOCOLATEEE" sleep.png sleep.png sleep.png

So, any that you guys particularly have beef with?

Most of these famous quotes are like 15 years old. So it's not like we're grumpy fans, these are just so dang old. :P That being said, I agree with Omair on the Patrick quotes, especially wumbo and the mayo instrument ones.

Sorry, I can't think of any. And it's just from my experience, but I hardly ever hear any of those quotes that you mentioned quoted in both real life and the internet.

You'd be surprised how many people I see quote the quotes I mentioned "as often quoted" in real life. If I have chocolate, bam someone goes CHOOCCOOLATTE, if something smells weird, "OHH, THE SMELLY SMELL OF SOMETHING SMELLY" if someone discussses something serious "solve everything with Wumbology!". :P

The fact that post-movie Spongebob ended up being "unquoteable" justifies the reason for said overused quotes, which is sad. And considering that fact that stating the obvious about post-movie Spongebob has been quoted more times than any Season 4-9 quote leaves me thinking why it's so hard to quote the post-movie episodes, and that's outside all the Spongebob episodes. As much as I didn't feel like acknowledging that again, I just wanted to say it.

That aside, what comes to mind with overused Spongebob quotes is simply the first scene during band class in "Band Geeks" alone. And not to mention BIG....MEATY...CLAWS! Got tired of that joke for a while.

I'd say 95% of these are the constant Patrick pre-movie "Witty" lines that everyone quotes. Examples?

-Is Mayonaise an instrument

-KICKING, I WANT TO DO SOME KICKING

-I Love You

-THIS IS PATRICK

-Wumbology

-Ugly Barnacle (sorry UB)

-I can't see my forehead

-Oh boy! 3 AM

-etc. etc.

Notice how these quotes (barring Wumbology, but I don't hear that one much) can be applied to their respective situation, unlike:

-my mind is nothing but an enigma (visual gags cannot be quoted)

-Knowledge cannot replace friendship, i'd rather be an idiot than lose you (isn't really funny, doesn't direct Spongebob outside of context)

-Let's just take Bikini Bottom and push it somewhere else 

-I need to wear my teeth and brush my pants! (post-movie. We'll get into that later)

-It's the apocalypse, office products are falling from the sky!

The next set are visual gags, so again, they cannot be quoted (Unless you literally do that in a situation and want your friends to hate you / be painfully harmed).

Now we get into the post-movie section. Reasons for these underquoted moments can vary from person to person, but I'll just say the general justification:

Most of the post-movie episodes are crap.

Take Rise and Shine for example. While the quote is funny, most people (including me) hate the episode. Likewise, they wouldn't want to be reminded of the episode. Even if the best quote appeared in the worst episode, it wouldn't be quoted as much because the same reason above. See what I mean?

Back on topic, I'll just say none. Some are overrated sure (FINLAND), but making them disappear from the face of the Earth is just too much, even if we are talking figuratively. 

Notice how these quotes (barring Wumbology, but I don't hear that one much) can be applied to their respective situation, unlike:

The next set are visual gags, so again, they cannot be quoted (Unless you literally do that in a situation and want your friends to hate you / be painfully harmed).

Now we get into the post-movie section. Reasons for these underquoted moments can vary from person to person, but I'll just say the general justification:

Most of the post-movie episodes are crap.

Take Rise and Shine for example. While the quote is funny, most people (including me) hate the episode. Likewise, they wouldn't want to be reminded of the episode. Even if the best quote appeared in the worst episode, it wouldn't be quoted as much because the same reason above. See what I mean?

Back on topic, I'll just say none. Some are overrated sure (FINLAND), but making them disappear from the face of the Earth is just too much, even if we are talking figuratively. 

Well the face off the earth was meant to be a hyberbole, you literal people. :P

I understand that those quotes are indeed more quotable, but when people turn them into memes, it ulitmately ruins it for me.