• Advertisement

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Young Nug

Well worded. Glad to see that somebody got the point I was getting at. Down to the whole False God aspect which I'm betting anything that is their best attempt at viral marketing ala Why So Serious or the whole Zod commercial hacking or the DKR chants. It's not going to work for Lex Luthor because it will lose all sense of any importance for him....to me at least.

I think I'd be more okay with people turning against Superman if the voiceover at the beginning of the trailer was just Lex Luthor. The fact that he got spliced in with all the rest of the voices just makes him another person in the crowd. He's supposed to be the only one to know that Superman is a menace to humanity, and he knows that not because Superman leveled half of Metropolis - he knows that because he's smart. He sees Superman and knows that there's nothing left for humanity to strive for; they have the... well... super man. He's not average, he's super. With Superman around there's no need to reach for the stars because the stars fell down to Earth; there's no need for any technological advancements or forward thinkers, because the all-mighty Superman is here and he so generously has taken on the onus of world protector.

But now? Post-Man of Steel? The world needs technological advancements and forward thinkers because Superman has proven to be a menace to society, and so many people know that and so many people are going to strive to be better than Superman. What's even the point of having Lex Luthor? Is it just an easier way to write? If people already hate Superman then having a figurehead streamlines everything for the audience, but that's not really what anyone wants. Or at least that's not what I want. 

Double post but I really really like Batman's design. It's like he stepped right out of the Justice League comic.

kZARbkL.jpg

I have to admit. Justice League Batman is pretty cool.

New trailer was posted at Comic Con today

An improvement over the teaser, but I still don't like Nolan-fied Superman and don't really like the false prophet vibes the trailer is giving off.  It would be great if Batfleck gets pissed off because Superman is a massive flying destructive object.  Also, I have to give Jesse Eisenberg credit.  I hated the casting choice initially, but he wasn't too bad here and I felt like he can legitimately do a good job as Lex Luthor.  Probably the best part of that trailer next to finally seeing Wonder Woman in action, even if it was for a short while.  I'm still seeing this regardless because of the concept no matter how flawed this movie probably will end up being and how it definitely has the potential to disappoint.

• Like 1

New trailer was posted at Comic Con today

An improvement over the teaser, but I still don't like Nolan-fied Superman and don't really like the false prophet vibes the trailer is giving off.

Do you mean Superman is Nolan-ified here or you just don't like the darkness of the Henry Cavil Superman from MoS in general

And what's wrong with the false god stuff

Do you mean Superman is Nolan-ified here or you just don't like the darkness of the Henry Cavil Superman from MoS in general

And what's wrong with the false god stuff

Isn't it the same thing? Nolanfied Superman is still Man of Steel Superman :P. But if you mean Man of Steel in general? It's a movie that did not hold up well at all during second viewing when I initially thought it was pretty good the first time around. Henry Cavill did ok, but I did not like how they made the character did more destruction than being a hero by putting the city far more at risk with those fight sequences. Also I still have a problem with him killing Zod and barely show any remorse for killing him. That's not Superman and what his character represents by his morals.

Either way, I don't like a dark Superman. It doesn't work because Superman is suppose to represent a light of hope yet they are making him into Nolan Batman lite to me. Especially with the whole false god imagery that screams "Dark Knight/Dark Knight Rises marketing campaign". I mean take those bystanders/background people surrounding him near the middle of the trailer pre-fight sequences with Batman. That doesn't come off as Superman to me. That comes off as The Joker's or Bane's hitmen from the last two Dark Knight movies. It's not the idea, which isn't bad. It's just the way the trailers have been handling or displaying it that makes me think, Nolan Batman lite.

Also to SBDW, the concept is epic. That's why I am seeing this no matter how bad it may or may not end up being.

• Like 1

Isn't it the same thing? Nolanfied Superman is still Man of Steel Superman :P. But if you mean Man of Steel in general? It's a movie that did not hold up well at all during second viewing when I initially thought it was pretty good the first time around. Henry Cavill did ok, but I did not like how they made the character did more destruction than being a hero by putting the city far more at risk with those fight sequences. Also I still have a problem with him killing Zod and barely show any remorse for killing him. That's not Superman and what his character represents by his morals.

I thought you were implying that he was suddenly Nolanified in this film but wasn't in MoS :P

Either way, I don't like a dark Superman. It doesn't work because Superman is suppose to represent a light of hope yet they are making him into Nolan Batman lite to me. Especially with the whole false god imagery that screams "Dark Knight/Dark Knight Rises marketing campaign". I mean take those bystanders/background people surrounding him near the middle of the trailer pre-fight sequences with Batman. That doesn't come off as Superman to me. That comes off as The Joker's or Bane's hitmen from the last two Dark Knight movies. It's not the idea, which isn't bad. It's just the way the trailers have been handling or displaying it that makes me think, Nolan Batman lite.

I don't think its as grim or "dark" as you're making it out to be as much as it is just realistic. The dude is still definitely a light of hope or whatever - the entire ideal of hope speech in MoS was a verbatim relation of that concept, it's just that this would be the logical fallout of a Superman actually appearing in the real world. I like that this is taking a sort of meta approach to the whole Superman thing and I can see where you're coming from, I just think you're looking at it differently lol

I don't think its as grim or "dark" as you're making it out to be as much as it is just realistic. The dude is still definitely a light of hope or whatever - the entire ideal of hope speech in MoS was a verbatim relation of that concept, it's just that this would be the logical fallout of a Superman actually appearing in the real world. I like that this is taking a sort of meta approach to the whole Superman thing and I can see where you're coming from, I just think you're looking at it differently lol

Idk man. It's just that considering him a god in general with all the chaos and destruction he caused in MoS just kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe that's what they were leaning towards with the court case in the beginning and having both Luthor and Batman against him. And while I feel that they did a better job establishing Lex Luthor in this trailer far more, I still can't help but feel they can make him feel more special. But I do have far more hope for that now with what I saw.

And by dark and grim, I mean I feel that Zack Snyder is seemingly making the tone that this is more Superman in the Batman universe far more than trying to show a juxtaposition between Metropolis and Gotham. Termi worded it best on the page before when we were talking about the teaser that we are seeing Superman through Batman, when I wouldn't have minded seeing it go more both ways and have us see Batman through Superman. And I was getting that same vibe in the full trailer that this was more of the former when I want to see more of the latter. If that makes any sense. :P

Also to SBDW, the concept is epic. That's why I am seeing this no matter how bad it may or may not end up being.

I agree. Even If it's badly-written, it'll at least turn out to be a good action movie.