• Advertisement

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Young Nug

On December 5, 2015 at 12:16:49 PM, terminoob said:

What did you expect? Did you really think they were gonna kill each other or end the movie with them not on at least respectable terms?

I expected Bats and Supes going at each others throats up until the new trailer was released. It's being advertised as Batman v Superman. It's a good title, but it doesn't fit the movie.

3 minutes ago, kevin_ng2010 said:

I expected Bats and Supes going at each others throats up until the new trailer was released. It's being advertised as Batman v Superman. It's a good title, but it doesn't fit the movie.

But that's what they will be doing. They're both on the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of ideals and morals and they're going to be fighting, I imagine, both verbally and physically. Just because they team up at the end doesn't invalidate the fact that they're going to fight.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, kevin_ng2010 said:

46 minutes ago, terminoob said:

But that's what they will be doing. They're both on the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of ideals and morals and they're going to be fighting, I imagine, both verbally and physically. Just because they team up at the end doesn't invalidate the fact that they're going to fight.

Yeah what terminoob said.  Kevin if you didn't think they weren't going to team up at the end to fight a common enemy, then I have no idea what you were expecting.

1 hour ago, terminoob said:

Ah, I see what you mean. Any thoughts on the humor?

here's the last trailer, it was better than second trailer imo and it gave me a bit hyped for this movie. It could turn out to be really amazing hopefully. The movie is coming out 1 month later, so I think it's the right time to bump, I think. Any thoughts?

I've seen this and it was just what I was expecting, it was so messy but a bit fun mess. Honestly, I was expecting this to be very meh, even though the reviews made this movie look like god-awful but I was entertained at least. Now what I have a problem with this movie is that there are so many subplots and it tries to be a prequel to Justic League but it come soff as shoehorned and paced oddly. There were so many subplots to cut back and forth, it was very distracting, the subplot didn't tie in together that well to me. However, even though the movie felt distracted, I was still invested in subplots for the most part, although some scenes didn't really need to be in the movie

Spoiler

Dream sequences for example and Lois' plot wasn't really necessary imo.

Another problem of the movie imo is that the fight between Batman and Superman was pretty underwhelming. I found it to be short and it didn't feel as awesome as I thought it'd be. Yes, it kind of seem like I'm nit-picking that. Of course I wasn't expecting the whole movie to be Batman and Superman fighting. I did like the fight actually but I wish it was longer. Enogh with negatives, unto good stuff. I was actually impressed by Doomsday fight scenes, which seems like an unpopular opinion I guess since a lot of people didn't want Doomsday to be in the movie but the climax was so epic and so cool. Yes, it is very CGI but I still find it to be cool. Ben Affleck as Batman was my favorite aspect of the movie for sure. I loved the dark and cruel tone of Batman. Yeah, I can see why some people would be pissed off about that since Batman doesn't want to kill people but considering how much Superman made so much destruction in Man of Steel, it makes sense to me. He's very right about Superman, he has the power to destroy the world, so I can see why he wanted to kill Superman. Not only that, he was very badass in the is movie, every action scene revolving around him was a lot fun. So yeah, I was pretty impressed by anti-hero version of Batman, he made the movie for me. Henry Cavill as Superman was pretty good, nothing to amazing but I find his character to be better than Man of Steel. Gal Gadot was Wonder Woman was very awesome, She wasn't involved with action-scenes much but when she was there, she was awesome. And lastly I wanna mention is that Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor wasn't so bad tbh. Yeah, he came off as irritating at times but I didn't mind his silliness that much. He was amusing at times. I do wish that he had more in his character than just a silly villain tho. So yeah, that's pretty much it. The movie wasn't that good but I definitely don't regret watching it. I enoyed for what it was, despite messy storyline, couple unncessary scenes and underwhelmed Batman and Superman fight. It had great fight scenes, performances were memorable and it had some good character  moments, especially from Batman. So I don't think you will regert watching this movie unless you want a really compelling storytelling or you hate DC or you don't like Zach Snyder movies :P 

Grade: B

So it looks like, according to the reviews, while the movie didn't crumble under the weight of its own ridiculously dense plot it just... Wasn't good?

I'm going to see it this weekend hopefully, but the reviews have not instilled any hope in me at all.

5 minutes ago, Bada Bing Nuggets said:

So it looks like, according to the reviews, while the movie didn't crumble under the weight of its own ridiculously dense plot it just... Wasn't good?

I'm going to see it this weekend hopefully, but the reviews have not instilled any hope in me at all.

Don't always trust the reviews. It's not as bad as many reviewers say. Well, I agree that the plot is very messy but other than that, it's an ok/decent fun action movie. It definitely has highlights, as well as flaws.

Ok I'm heavily contemplating giving this a full review treatment, but until then and until I have enough free time to possibly set aside for that, I'll just go ahead and give some spoiler free insight as to how this made me feel.

I think the hatred I've been seeing and reading at some points on social media and Rotten Tomatoes is rather extreme.  It's nowhere near being considered one of the worst superhero movies of all time.  Fan4stic, the hatred was absolutely warranted.  That was an absolute disaster.  This on the other hand?  I'll be upfront.  This was one hell of a mess.  Not terrible mind you.  Both Batman and Superman have been in far worse movies, so don't take the term "one hell of a mess" as me loathing this.  But that doesn't mean I like it.  I never want to see this movie ever again and it is making me question if I can stomach sitting through the Justice League movies knowing that this exact same team is working on it.

So what exactly worked?  Well Ben Affleck was actually a pretty good Batman.  I knew all the dog piling on the casting would resolve in Affleck doing a good job acting.  Didn't even question it like everyone else seemed to.  I also liked the comic book approach on the character as I said a few pages earlier.  Totally worked for me since I didn't want a Dark Knight knockoff like I was initially fearing.  I also really loved Wonder Woman. Gal Gadot was fantastic and knocked it out of the park to the point that I will give the Wonder Woman movie a shot.  She stole every scene she was in, including the big fight scene.  More of her please.  And I guess...Superman was a bit more interesting this go around.  As I've said time and time again in this thread, rewatching Man of Steel really soured on me.  I can't believe I at first liked it.  I absolutely hated the approach they took on the character and not even the heavy amounts of Nolan-ification could help make a humanified alien life form a compelling character.  He just wasn't.  Now in this sequel though?  It was passable?  Idk, I guess I didn't mind seeing people pissed off at his actions in the first movie.  They sure did frustrate me in rewatch.  So maybe that element worked because it actually gave Superman some depth as a character trying to overcome himself.

Ok now that I got all that out of the way...nearly everything else frustrated me to no end.  Everything positive I just said about Ben Affleck's Batman?  It still stands.  But I HATE how they made him out to be a roid raged asshole.  If you wanted to make him dark and cruel, that's fine.  But give him a reason to be.  I don't care how much of it was from the influence of Luthor.  Even if you remove Luthor out of the equation entirely, this meat headed buffoon still had way too much built up anger over situations so microscopic that needed further elaboration because they were written so ridiculously poor.  It makes me look forward even more to Lego Batman because remove all the elements of irony from Lego Batman, and that's this Batman in a nutshell.

Speaking of Lex Luthor, holy mother of god did I hate Jesse Eisenberg in this.  He was awful.  Whoever edited all the good parts of his performance in the trailers certainly made his or her money's worth because every single scene outside of those were terrible.  I cringed way more than I should have at watching him on screen. My friend I saw this with said it best.  It's like Snyder told him to be Heath Ledger's The Joker.  I couldn't get that comparison out of my head because so much of his performance rang completely true.  Yeah Luthor is a bit obsessive, but not batshit insane like The Joker. Seriously, Zack Snyder passed over Bryan Cranston for Jesse Eisenberg why?  But Eisenberg doesn't deserve all the blame for why Lex Luthor didn't work.  The writing certainly didn't do him any favors.  What exactly was Luthor's motivation anyway to take down Superman?  Revenge?  For what?  Did we ever get that outside of his ridiculously convulted nonsense about how he wants to control God and religious allegory blah blah blah.  Because if you want to use that as a reference, then you made him out to be angry atheist, which you already have plenty of those in this movie, so what makes Luthor's reasoning any more valid outside of he's insane.  Because that excuse is lazily validated.

But yeah the main focal point of what fails is the writing.  The writing is straight up shit.  I can sit here and nitpick the fuck out of all these convulted plots like Swiss cheese.  I got exactly what they were going for for a good portion of this movie, but the execution pissed me off to no end.  What was with all the dream sequences?  How many of those had any sort of logical reasoning to the story?  Barely any of them.  What was the purpose of Lois Lane at all in this movie?  Because she served as background fodder for a good portion of it running around with a piece of evidence that only served as a connect the dots puzzle we all knew the answer to.  Don't even get me started on what exactly was the reason for Wonder Woman stealing the file from Batman and why Lex even needed the file in the first place.  It's because nonsubtle hint that Warner Brothers needs to introduce the rest of the Justice League somehow since they don't want to long term build like their competitor.  The rest of my nitpicking is rather spoileresque so I won't say too much, but the last one since we all know it is Doomsday could have worked...but didn't.

I actually said at one point in this thread that Zack Snyder gets WAY too much hate.  And I honestly do stand by that still.  Even after this.  But he should stop making superhero movies.  If he wants to make stupid action movies, stick to that.  I have no problem with stupid action movies.  But what he's doing is making it a "if this happened in real life" artistic interpretation of the DC film universe and so far it's been total horseshit.  It's not working at all for me and I don't know how much of it is on Zack Snyder or if it goes all the way up to Christopher Nolan himself.  Whatever this is, it's not enjoyable entertainment.  Especially at a running time of over two hours and thirty minutes.  That's ridiculously long.  The least they could have done was use some of that run time to fix the many and I do mean many holes in this.

I might add onto this tomorrow but it's been nearly two hours writing this up and if I spent another thirty minutes gripping about this in one sitting, it would feel like I'm sitting through this movie again.  Which I don't want to do.

So I've already seen this three times, was very mixed the first time around, watched it with friends a second and third time and we got to discussing stuff and it warmed me up to it. It was certainly better than Man of Steel. Batfleck turned out to be as good as I expected him to be, I personally loved the direction they went with his character in this one. Felt like a nice change of pace from Nolan's Batman, especially with his strict moral code. This is an aged and seasoned Batman who's seen and been through plenty of shit throughout the years, 20 years of dat bull-bull will eat away at the most righteous of men and it shows here. I also liked Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor, thought he gave the next best performance  with what he was given next to Affleck. Would've been nice if they showed a lil more backstory into him, his beef with Supes and his company because it felt like he was just thrown into the thick of things so suddenly. I get that he's anti-God, but c'mon throw us a bigger bone here. They also could've elaborated a bit more as to how he figured out both their identities. I know that he's Lex and he's a brilliant mind, but that shit threw me off during my first viewing. The first half leading up to the big money fight definitely dragged at times. Kinda wish they did a little more to make the lead up more interesting, moreso on Superman's side of things. And man, did this movie need Doomsday. The fight between Bats and Supes was underwhelming and it definitely needed to end on bigger note than that. Marked out when Wonder Woman finally showed up to fight, got me a lot more pumped than I was expecting, Gal Gadot was awesome. Seeing three of the most recognizable superheroes finally together on the big screen was a damn fine moment to behold as a comic book fan. The fight against Doomsday was definitely much needed. Kinda surprised the ending went the way it did, thought it would be too early to pull the trigger on it, but I felt it ended up serving as a nice setup and motivation to light the fire under their ass and get the Justice League to assemble. Plus, it's Supes and Doomsday, they'll both be back in a big way. The dream/vision sequences with Mad Bats v Totalitarian/Herald of Darkseid Superman and Future Flash made for noice build to a much larger universe.

All in all, it wasn't as god awful as a lot of people make it out to be. Can't wait to see more from the DCEU, especially the Batflick that Affleck is supposed to direct. Can't wait to see what he does there. Oh, and the Wonder Woman movie.

• Like 2