• Advertisement

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Young Nug

Since I can't locate a copy of it without Warner Brothers blocking it, there was a very low quality teaser filmed from Comic-Con that had Batman (with glowing yellow eyes for some reason) and Superman (with laser red eyes for some reason) having the ultimate staredown and Superman flying down towards Batman.

Obviously it's just a teaser, but the fact that two of my all-time favorite superheroes heading towards some sort of collision visually had me marking out despite how constantly I question the casting choices this movie has made.

Since I can't locate a copy of it without Warner Brothers blocking it, there was a very low quality teaser filmed from Comic-Con that had Batman (with glowing yellow eyes for some reason) and Superman (with laser red eyes for some reason) having the ultimate staredown and Superman flying down towards Batman.

Obviously it's just a teaser, but the fact that two of my all-time favorite superheroes heading towards some sort of collision visually had me marking out despite how constantly I question the casting choices this movie has made.

I believe Batman has the yellow eyes because he's in a mech suit (or at least something that isn't his normal suit), and Superman has always had laser vision.

I'll also be the first one here to say that I think Wonder Woman's color palette is bland. The costume itself is great, I just don't like it not having any color.

I'll also be the first one here to say that I think Wonder Woman's color palette is bland. The costume itself is great, I just don't like it not having any color.

Saw the concept art and I actually don't mind the lack of color because it worked well in the image it was in.  Now Aquaman...I'm afraid of seeing how dark and gritty Snyder will make him look.

Saw the concept art and I actually don't mind the lack of color because it worked well in the image it was in.  Now Aquaman...I'm afraid of seeing how dark and gritty Snyder will make him look.

I'm hoping he just rehashes Khal Drogo's look from Game of Thrones, makes him blonde, and calls it a day. 

Background is too light. Make it an underwater cave in Atlantis at 3am with no electricity.

Don't ask me.  Ask Zack Snyder or whoever made this cheap knockoff of nu-Conan with blond hair.

Teaser was leaked last night so Warner Brothers decided to share it themselves.

I didn't like this. I really hate the new dark tone they are trying to go with Superman. Man of Steel has not held up well these past two years not just to haters of the film, but to me as well and I liked it. Now it's just middle of the line superhero movie to me instead of being as good as I thought it was. Snyder/Nolan are missing the point as to what we enjoyed about Superman and he doesn't need to be Dark Knight-ified.

Speaking of which, my first impression of Batfleck is that he's keeping the growl. I still think Ben Affleck. should carve out his own identity as Batman, but I need to remind myself that this is still a teaser. If I have anything positive to say, it's that I do like that he seems worn down and seen better days while still being the badass Batman is. Because if they are going to just carry over from Nolan's trilogy, then that's the proper way to carry his character.

Anyway, I still want to see this because it's Batman vs Superman. But that teaser did nothing for me.

Hm. I think I agree with Clappy on some of this. I get that they're trying to go with a more realistic portrayal of what would happen to the world post-Superman (and post-Man of Steel) - which in retrospect makes Man of Steel make more sense - however I don't really think we need that. Lex Luthor provides enough contrast as is and making everyone have an opinion on Superman kind of makes Luthor not so special and not so Luthor. Now that people are outraged at Superman, it makes it more understandable for Luthor to want to come out and be this hero-type. It could've been better if Luthor was the only one against Superman, so he'd have to convince people that Superman is a menace to the world. He really doesn't have to do much now, and his role is going to end up being redundant because now we have Batman who's strolling into Metropolis because of the destruction Superman caused and because he thinks Superman is a menace.

I feel like Snyder missed the chance to show the juxtaposition between Metropolis and Gotham and Superman and Batman by making everything one washed out gray tone. I would've liked to see differences between the cities so we know when Superman is in Batman's world and when Batman's in Superman's world. If the movie leans more heavily towards Batman, though, then I guess this tone makes sense because then we're seeing Superman through Batman.

As for Batman I really like the suit and cowl, and I think Ben Affleck is gonna be great. I think that "growl" Clappy was talking about is more just a voice modifier like what Ollie uses on Arrow. It sounds really digitized to me. I hope they make this Batman more of a detective because that's a huge part of his identity and Nolan's films almost completely ignored it.

• Like 1

Aw.

Who cares Superman sucks Batman FTW!

But Superman is invincible, has laser vision, and can fly. There's no reasonable way Batman could beat him. Superman being weak to Kryptonite isn't common knowledge in this universe yet so Batman would have no way of knowing Superman is weak to anything other than just being hit really really hard. Even if we assume this Batman is the world's best detective and somehow finds Kryptonite, he wouldn't be able to do anything long-range. In a fist fight he could probably win because he'd just hook the Kryptonite up to his mech suit, but Superman is too smart to not just fly out of Batman's range and then use his laser vision to fry the mech suit (or, my favorite solution, he could just lift up a building and smash it on Batman).

However, because of the direction Superman is going in these movies I'd say Batman will end up winning (assuming the fight isn't interrupted) because Superman will decide to give up so the public doesn't see him as a menace anymore so when the Justice League is formed people aren't scared of him as well as look up to Batman for being the one to "subdue" Superman (with Lex Luthor still not believing the world is safe and having some respect for Batman while at the same time resenting him for not taking more extreme measures against Superman).

Hm. I think I agree with Clappy on some of this. I get that they're trying to go with a more realistic portrayal of what would happen to the world post-Superman (and post-Man of Steel) - which in retrospect makes Man of Steel make more sense - however I don't really think we need that. Lex Luthor provides enough contrast as is and making everyone have an opinion on Superman kind of makes Luthor not so special and not so Luthor. Now that people are outraged at Superman, it makes it more understandable for Luthor to want to come out and be this hero-type. It could've been better if Luthor was the only one against Superman, so he'd have to convince people that Superman is a menace to the world. He really doesn't have to do much now, and his role is going to end up being redundant because now we have Batman who's strolling into Metropolis because of the destruction Superman caused and because he thinks Superman is a menace.

I feel like Snyder missed the chance to show the juxtaposition between Metropolis and Gotham and Superman and Batman by making everything one washed out gray tone. I would've liked to see differences between the cities so we know when Superman is in Batman's world and when Batman's in Superman's world. If the movie leans more heavily towards Batman, though, then I guess this tone makes sense because then we're seeing Superman through Batman.

As for Batman I really like the suit and cowl, and I think Ben Affleck is gonna be great. I think that "growl" Clappy was talking about is more just a voice modifier like what Ollie uses on Arrow. It sounds really digitized to me. I hope they make this Batman more of a detective because that's a huge part of his identity and Nolan's films almost completely ignored it.

Well worded. Glad to see that somebody got the point I was getting at. Down to the whole False God aspect which I'm betting anything that is their best attempt at viral marketing ala Why So Serious or the whole Zod commercial hacking or the DKR chants. It's not going to work for Lex Luthor because it will lose all sense of any importance for him....to me at least.