• Advertisement

And In Entertainment News...

terminoob

-Brad Pitt will become Pontius Pilate in a biopic. Hey, if he keeps growing his hair and facial hair out, he might as well portary Jesus Christ himself.

If they ever make a Billy Goat Gruff movie, he has to have the lead.

Finally. Some interesting news stories in the course of a week.

-Jurassic Park IV is now a definite yes. It officially has a release date of June 13, 2014. The movie still has no director yet, but Steven Speilberg is coming back to produce, which he didn't do for the third. However, don't count him out to come back to the director's chair since his next project Robocalypse is being delayed due to a massive re-write. Either way, I'm still not sold on the new film due to unnecessary sequel-itis.

-Speaking of unnecessary sequels, did anyone ask for a Hot Tub TIme Machine sequel? Because everyone from the first movie except John Cusack is coming back. Who might fill in for John Cusack you may wonder? MGM is reaching out for Paul Rudd because the setting for this one is in the 1990s. I think you can find a better 90s representative than Paul Rudd.

-Another Shakespeare play is becoming a movie...again. The Taming of the Shrew is going to star and be produced by Anne Hathaway.

-So you know huge media stories all eventually turn into movies, right? Well Lance Armstrong's long tenured "Did he or didn't he?" performance enhancing debacle is about to become a movie "Cycle of Lies". At least J.J. Abrams and his team are going to be behind this, so at least quality is attached. I still feel this is too soon. Also coming soon, Manti Te'o stars in College Football Catfish (sorry just had to).

-Guillermo Del Toro's next horror movie Crimson Peak will star Emma Stone. All the other details don't matter because I don't know which excites me more. Guillermo directing horror movies again or my boo Emma.

-Bradley Cooper is set to star in spy movie, Dark Invasion. Hilariously enough, the movie is based off a book that is not even out yet. Good luck working that one out.

-So Zack Snyder is working on a Star Wars spin-off that will take place outside of the franchise. Good luck figuring that one out.

-The Gremlins reboot that nobody wanted is happening.

-A fifth Pirates of the Caribbean movie is scheduled for a July 2015 release. Hey I got a better idea. How about they make a sequel to the original that doesn't suck?

-Even though his new movie The Last Stand bombed big time at the box office this weekend, Ahnuld is still ready to prove that HE'S BAHK. He has officially signed on for Terminator 5. What will be more interesting to see is if Christian Bale is coming BAHK after the horrible Terminator 4.

-And on my last news bit, Ben-Hur is being remade because....MGM loves remakes and sequels since they are a financially bankrupt studio.

This Week in Music

You know it's an exciting week in music when "'Exploding candle' nearly burns down Ozzy Osbourne's house" is the top headline. Let's take a look:

Apparently, Sharon Osbourne left a candle burning in their living room after they retired for the evening. Apparently Fire Safety 101 doesn't apply to rock star families. Anyway, the candle actually exploded, singeing Ozzy when he and Sharon tried to put the flames out. Sharon has vowed to never light another candle in their house again.

Lupe Fiasco was kicked off the stage at an inaugural event a couple nights ago after an anti-Obama rap. Here's my question: What was he doing there in the first place? Lupe is known as a vocal opponent of Obama, so it's kind of weird that he was even asked to perform. Forced controversy? Maybe.

In other inauguration news, Kelly Clarkson had a better night. She sang a rendition of "My Country, 'Tis of Thee" after overcoming initial nerves, and was met with a warm response from celebrities such as Bette Midler. Other memorable performances included Beyoncé's rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner", James Taylor's of "America the Beautiful", and Jennifer Hudson's rendition of Al Green's "Let's Stay Together". Who knew the girl still did things other than Weight Watchers commercials?

Apparently some woman sued Justin Bieber last summer. But this time, he wasn't the 18-year-old daddy of anybody. This time, he caused the woman hearing damage. Interpret that how you will. Anyway, the lawsuit was recently dropped after she couldn't find a lawyer to back herself up on the case. So Biebs slides by the controversy unscathed once again. Too bad I can't say the same for Ozzy's hair.

U2 will be coming back this September with the first of a set of new albums, or at least a single from the album. There have been reports that the first new album will be titled 10 Reasons to Exist, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

Dave Grohl recently debuted his Sound City Players supergroup at the Sundance Film Festival's Park City Live event in Utah. Guests who joined him on stage included Stevie Nicks and Slipknot's Corey Taylor.

Albums out this week: Bad Religion's True North, Darius Rucker's True Believers, Say Anything's All My Friends Are Enemies: The Early Raritie, and more.

Better late than never.

• Lifetime drama "Drop Dead Diva" has been told to drop dead by the network after four seasons on air, the last of which ended in September.
  • Actor Conrad Bain, best known for his role on the 1970s and '80s television comedy "Diff'rent Strokes" as a wealthy, white New Yorker who adopts two young black boys from Harlem, has died at age 89.
  • The audience for "American Idol" slumped 19 percent to 17.9 million viewers, its lowest season opener, despite the debut of judges Mariah Carey, Nicki Minaj and Keith Urban, and nothing of value was lost.
  • "The Office" is likely to close without a return appearance by Steve Carell's Michael Scott, but Mindy Kaling and B.J. Novak are expected back for the end of the show, and the final episodes will include someone in the Dunder Mifflin office getting fired. Fingers crossed that it's Angela.
  • Kevin Bacon will play taciturn, vodka-swilling former FBI agent Ryan Hardy in Fox's new serial killer thriller "The Following", premiering next Monday.
  • James Earl Jones is back to intoning "This is CNN" for the cable news channel after a long absence. In other news, I ate a sandwich today.
  • ABC has pulled the comedy "Don't Trust the B--- in Apt. 23" from its Tuesday night schedule. It is not yet known when the remaining eight episodes of the comedy will run.
  • SirusXM Radio reached a multi-year deal with Comedy Central to exclusively broadcast Comedy Central Radio. The new 24/7 audio channel will offer stand-up comedy and recordings from Comedy Central's vast library of comic performances, including roasts, behind-the-scenes recordings from channel events and new shows, all of which will most likely be cancelled within their first year.

Television News

• NBC is signing television icon Roseanne Barr to an overall deal that calls for her to develop a show she will star in and produce for the network. Let's call it..."Barr".
  • Amazon is continuing to beef up its original programming, ordering five potential children's series to pilot, including shows from the creators of "Blue Clues" and "Rugrats." "Creative Galaxy," "Oz Adventures," "Teeny Tiny Dogs," "Tumbleaf" and an untitled J.J. Johnson project will join six other comedy pilots on Amazon Instant Video. Viewers can watch for free and give their feedback - after which Amazon will decide what shows get series orders.
  • "How I Met Your Mother" will be back for a ninth and final season that will reveal - finally - who the mother is. CBS and 20th Century Fox Television announced last Wednesday that the series would be back for one final go-round with series regulars Josh Radnor, Jason Segel, Cobie Smulders, Neil Patrick Harris and Alyson Hannigan, as well as series creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas.
  • Emmy-winning TV comedy "30 Rock" bowed out after seven seasons last Thursday with bittersweet farewells but giving all its zany characters a happy ending. The satirical show about a show-within-a-show saw Tina Fey's hapless writer Liz Lemon try to round up her unruly cast for a last hurrah.
  • In other NBC news, the network has decided to roll with an effort to bring the classic series "Ironside" back to the small screen. Much like the original, the new pilot will center around a tough but acerbic police detective who's forced into a wheelchair after a shooting, but is hardly limited by his disability as he pushes and prods his hand-picked team to solve the most difficult cases in the city. "Sopranos" story editor Michael Caleo will be writing and executive producing the project.
  • CBS has ordered a legal pilot, "Reckless," from "What About Brian" creator Dana Stevens. The pilot is described as a sultry legal show set in Charleston, S.C., where a gorgeous Yankee litigator and a southern City Attorney struggle to hide their intense attraction while clashing over a police sex scandal.

This Week in Music

For Grammy winners, go here.

After collaborating on "Suit & Tie", JT and Jay-Z are rumoured to be touring stadiums this year. Take it with a grain of salt, but Timberlake has announced that there is "big news coming" and that he and someone big are "definitely going to go on tour", according to reports from the Grammy's red carpet, where Timberlake and Jay-Z collaborated. Something's afoot, methinks.

In other, weirder, collaboration news, Elton John will be on Queens of the Stone Age's next album. John has stated previously that he loves the band. The album will also feature one-time member Dave Grohl, Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails, and Scissor Sisters frontman Jake Shears.

It's been all about Frank Ocean in recent music news. There have been fans of his that feel his album got robbed for Album of the Year (winner: Mumford and Sons' Babel), and then there was the whole thing with Douche of the Millennium Chris Brown jumping him. But his much-anticipated performance sat the Grammys also fell flat, according to critics and even fans. Poor guy can't seem to catch a break. People thought that not only was the song a weak pick, but Ocean's vocals were out of tune. He has said that it was the fact that he couldn't hear his keyboard that messed him up.

Screen-shot-2013-02-11-at-8.35.12-PM.png

Axl Rose has recently lost a lawsuit against Activision. The lawsuit dealt with the fact that Slash appeared in Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock. He has demanded a whopping $20 million in compensation. The judge threw the case out, partly because he didn't take legal action for over three years, and partly because Axl has gone from being a respected artist to a greedy, whiny assclown. Slash has yet to comment on the issue.

Ronnie Wood is planning to persuade the rest of the Stones to play Glastonbury this summer. He said that it's something he's always been interested in. "I'm going to twist their arms."

Albums out this week: Bullet For My Valentine's Temper Temper, Darwin Deez's Songs for Imaginative People, LL Cool J's Authentic Hip Hop, and more.

Telebision News

• Time to sharpen the knives, for both culinary endeavors and back-stabbing purposes - "Top Chef" has been renewed for an 11th season.
  • Emmy-winning comedy "The Office" will pack up its pencils and staplers after eight years with a one-hour finale on May 16.
  • Former "Man vs. Wild" host Bear Grylls, who experienced a contentious split with Discovery last March, is returning to the company with a new series, "Bear Grylls: Ultimate Survivors."
  • The CW's hit freshman superhero drama "Arrow" has been renewed by the CW, along with older series "The Vampire Diaries" and "Supernatural."
  • Josh Holloway, who played James "Sawyer" Ford on the J.J. Abrams TV drama "Lost", will star in the upcoming CBS drama "Intelligence."
  • The above-mentioned Grammys drew some 28.1 million TV viewers, a predictable 30 percent drop from last year's emotion-filled ceremony following the death of singer Whitney Houston. Despite the lower numbers, Sunday's 3-1/2-hour show broadcast live on CBS was the second-largest TV audience for the music industry's big night since 1993, and many critics gave the show a thumbs up.

This Week in Music

Black Keys drummer Patrick Carney has been pretending to be Justin Bieber on Twitter. Here are some of the tweets he made:

Screen-shot-2013-02-18-at-11.55.54-AM.png

I'm all for a good Bieber ribbing, but this isn't funny so much as sad. Doesn't Carney have anything better to do with his time? Like post music news on a SpongeBob site, for instance.

Barenaked Ladies have dueted with Chris Hadfield, that Canadian astronaut dude. Hadfield wrote the duet with singer Ed Robertson while he was training for his time in space. Check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AvAnfi8WpVE.

Ke$ha has been honoured by the U.S. Humane Society. She will be winning the Wyler Award at the 2013 Genesis Awards for spreading the word about many issues concerning animals, including shark-finning, street dogs, and cruelty-free cosmetics.

You can't make this stuff up, folks: Chubby Checker is suing Palm, Inc. for their new app called "The Chubby Checker". It allows users to estimate the size of a man's penis based on their shoe size. I'm not joking. The app has since been deleted after being downloaded 84 times, but the name has not sat well with Checker, who says that it's caused "irreparable damage and harm" to his name. Not to mention thousands of small-footed guys' egos everywhere.

The NRA has released an updated "Enemies List", and the list includes Beyoncé, Britney Spears, Bon Jovi, Boyz II Men, and many others for apparently taking "officially endorsed anti-gun positions. All I can say is, if one of these people gets shot by some wacko NRA advocate, gun laws will be changing forever.

Albums out this week: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' Push the Sky Away, Buckcherry's Confessions, Parenthetical Girls' Privilege, and more.

It really has been awhile since I've posted any movies. But luckily I have plenty of major developments to report on that will make this an awesome post:

-Christopher Nolan is now overseeing all DC Comic Universe movies including the brand new Justice League movie. The guy is probably one of, if not the best, directors working today. He brought Batman back from irrelevancy, it looks like he might bring back Superman, and now he is bringing the Justice League movie out of developmental hell and possibly back in time for it's originally projected Summer 2015 release date.

-Speaking of that Justice League movie, Henry Cavill will already be re-appearing as Superman. But now there is a realistic chance that Nolan might be bringing back a familiar name to play Batman. Christian Bale has been offered the opportunity to reprise his role as Batman. If this does happen, then there will definitely need to be some form of explanation as to why because of how The Dark Knight Rises ended. However, I am absolutely ecstatic about Bale returning as well. In Christopher Nolan we trust.

-Even more nerd movie news? Well how about Harrison Ford possibly returning for Star Wars Episode VII? Apparently, Ford went to J.J. Abrams and pitched him a story line involving the return of Han Solo. Of course Harrison Ford is a 70 year old man, but you can't have the Star Wars movies chronologically continuing without the return of the Big 3. Hopefully, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill come back too. I mean what else could they possibly be doing that's more important....besides a recurring role on Family Guy and voice work.

Everything else is not as major as the stories just listed, but I still find them report worthy:

-Norman Osborn is returning to the new Spider-Man franchise. No it's not WIllem Dafoe, but Chris Cooper is a more than worthy replacement. Of course the new Spider-Man movie is already chalk full of villains like Jamie Foxx as Electro and Paul Giamatti as The Rhino. But at least The Green Goblin is a definite for future installments in the new Spidey franchise.

-Hermione Granger as Cinderella? Emma Watson has signed on to portray the Disney princess in the latest live action Disney reimagining.

-Harry Potter as Igor? Well Daniel Radcliffe has signed on to be Igor in the new Frankenstein movie coming out next year. Not as big a step up as his Hogwarts friend, but at least these two are trying to remain relevant unlike Ron.

-You tired of reimaginings? Well DreamWorks is going to take their swing at the Robin Hood story...somewhat. This one is going to be a medieval tandem tale called Merry Men. Sorry guys, but The Avengers you are not.

-In news I can't believe I'm reporting on, Liam Neeson is going to voice an evil raccoon in a movie called The Nut Job. Oh how punny.

-Thank you Ex for this next news story. Megan Fox is going to be April O'Neil in Michael Bay's NOT TEENAGE NOT MUTANT, BUT NINJA ALIEN TURTLE movie. Hey Megan, remember when you compared Bay to Hitler? Yeah, I don't either. #sarcasm

This Week in Music

During Last Saturday's running of SNL, Daft Punk aired a 15-second commercial, seemingly teasing their upcoming new album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=922-y641Ask

This will be their first new album since their Tron: Legacy soundtrack in 2010.

Pete Townshend has recently apologized for his behaviour at The Who's Quadrophenia show last week. This behaviour consisted of him telling a fan to "fuck off" after he asked him to smash his guitar. Oh yeah, the fan had his daughter on his shoulders at the time. Townshend's admitted he hates smashing guitars since 1994, where he likened it to a comedian who's moved on to serious acting, yet is still asked to repeat a catchphrase from his past.

In other news of people who want to be taken seriously in the music biz, Nicki Minaj? Sure, why not? She has fired her longtime stylist, so gone are the days of Barbie Gone Wild, apparently. She's sick of being compared to eccentric pop stars like Lady Gaga, but that's still probably better than what I compare her to.

Bono is convinced that extreme poverty will be gone by 2030, but only if "we accept that we can get this done". And this isn't just his latest spiel about the dying poor kids, either. In 1990, 43% of the population were living in extreme poverty. By 2010, that number had dropped to 21%. Pretty impressive, I'd say. Unfortunately, Bono will still probably be wearing those horrid sunglasses in 2030.

bono5.jpg

In surprising news, someone in the music industry has actually come to Nickelback's defense! That someone is Patrick Stump, lead singer of Fall Out Boy. He basically stated that no matter what opinion you might have, we should focus on thew good in music rather than the bad. It's too bad that Patrick Carney can't seem to get the message.

There's no way I can say this any better than it was said.

RIP to Motown star Bobby Rogers, of Smokey Robinson and The Miracles. He passed away at his home in Detroit at the age of 73, after a long battle with an undisclosed illness.

To wrap things up here, it hasn't been a good week for everyone's favourite pop star, Justin Bieber. He apparently had his "worst birthday" at the beginning of March, after being rejected from a club for having underage friends with him. He also got booed at a London concert for keeping fans waiting for two hours. Normally, I'd make a joke about how the fans had to get home before their bedtime, but it was actually the case.

Albums out this week: Kate Nash's Girl Talk, Luke Bryan's Spring Break: Here to Party, They Might Be Giants' Nanobots, and more.

Television News

• Television host Joy Behar is leaving ABC's talk show "The View" when the current season ends in August. Behar, 70, who has been with the daytime show since its inception in 1997, hosts the show alongside Barbara Walters, Whoopi Goldberg, Sherri Shepherd and Elisabeth Hasselbeck.
  • IFC has greenlit a scripted comedy from Will Ferrell and Adam McKay, as well as a sketch show from Ben Stiller and Bob Odenkirk. "The Spoils of Babylon," is a television adaptation of a fake best-selling epic novel by author Eric Jonrosh (Ferrell). "The Birthday Boys," a new scripted sketch show executive produced by Odenkirk and Stiller, features the Los Angeles comedy group of the same name.
  • The "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" online revivals are set to premiere on April 29. Both series - which were canceled by ABC in 2011 before Prospect Park's The Online Network secured the rights for internet distribution - will be streamed weekdays in 30-minute episodes on Hulu and will also be available through iTunes.
  • "Sherlock" star Benedict Cumberbatch - who plays the titular sleuth in the modern-day retelling of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories - has confirmed that the BBC 1 series will run for at least four seasons. The third season is scheduled to begin filming this month.
  • New Mickey Mouse cartoons will come to TV this summer when the Disney Channel premieres a series of short cartoons featuring the comic antics of the 85-year-old children's character with contemporary touches. The 19 cartoons, each a couple minutes long, are being produced with 2D animation to pay homage to the artistry of Walt Disney and his animators in the 1920s and 1930s.
  • The microphone that singers on Fox television's "American Idol" will use for a live broadcast on Wednesday has traveled to Hollywood after an Olympic torch-style journey through 13 cities. Producers hope the "Idol Across America" relay helps build enthusiasm for the rest of the 12th season of the long-time TV ratings champ, which has seen viewership fall over the past six years. This season's finale is scheduled for May.
  • History Channel's The Bible had 10.8 million total viewers Sunday night, down 18 percent from its premiere, with 3.2 million of those viewers adults 18-49. Next week, the mini could get a ratings boost by the addition of a new fan-favorite character — Jesus Christ joins the show once The Bible gets into the New Testament. Please avoid posting any spoilers, as I haven't read the book and don't want to know how it all turns out.

This Week in Music

A documentary is being made on Rihanna's 777 Tour. The one where she attempted to go to seven different cities in North America and Europe in just seven days, to promote her album Unapologetic. Yeah, I didn't go to it, either.

Lil Wayne suffered a couple seizures recently, and is still in the ICU despite claims that he is fine. TMZ reported that the rap star was in such critical condition that he was read his last rites, but has seemed to recover since. The most recent seizure came from an overdose of codeine, a drug Lil Wayne has struggled with in the past. His previous seizure came from doing a video with Nicki Minaj, which just confirms that watching a Nicki Minaj video is like being on a bad drug trip.

Michael Jackson's kids and mom are suing AEG Live for $40 billion in lost revenue from the concerts Michael could have done, if he didn't die of a drug overdose. Apparently, they are convinced that AEG Live is responsible for the singer's death, rather than Conrad Murray, who has already been found guilty of involuntary manslaughter. I must say I'm a little disgusted with the family's behaviour here. Good to know that it's all about the money, ladies and gents.

Bow Wow has been sued by French porn star Katsuni, for using unsolicited footage of her in his 2011 music video for "Drank in My Cup". The real question is: which name have less people heard of?

Beyoncé has previewed two new tracks, "Bow Down" and "I Been On". Some fans are up in arms at her cursing in the two songs. One user wrote: "how can u sing at the presidents inauguration then release this disgusting, offensive song @beyonce? I'm genuinely shocked (sic)". Well, that's easily offended people for you.

One Direction have been warned that writing their own songs would be a "kiss of death" by writer Cathy Dennis. I mean, how can you live up to the lyrical genius that wrote "na na na na na na na na na na"?

Albums out this week: Justin Timberlake's The 20/20 Experience, The Black Crowes' Wiser for the Time, Walk Off the Earth's R.E.V.O., and more.

Why hasn't this been updated in nearly 6 months?

I actually told jjs to do the next one as an overlord request last month. :P

If he doesn't get around to doing it, I might update movie news in the next week or so.

• Like 1