• Advertisement

And In Entertainment News...

terminoob

Wumbo here. I'll be your guide for all music-related news every Tuesday! (I'll try to add a hefty dose of snark each time.)

A concert to benefit the victims of Hurricane Sandy was held last Friday. Acts included Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, and Steven Tyler. Jon Bon Jovi in particular expressed his devastation to the destruction of New Jersey through Sandy, quoted as saying that "The entire Jersey Shore that I knew is gone", and going on to say that many of his neighbours were left homeless. The concert raised $23 million to the American Red Cross, according to NBC, who televised the event. All I can say is I hope that order is restored soon, and that concert was a step in the right direction.

An adult toy company has released a sex doll modeled after Justin Bieber. Too bad that they've alienated his target audience: 12-year-old girls.

No Doubt recently pulled their "Looking Hot" video after numerous complaints from YouTube viewers about its depiction of Native American culture. Reportedly, Gwen Stefani played a "sexy Indian princess" in a "sexy Western-themed video". The band released an apology soon after for the video, saying it was not their intention to offend, hurt, or trivialize Native American culture.

Courtney Love says that there will not be a Kurt Cobain musical. How odd, because "musical" and "Kurt Cobain" go hand in hand.

Chris Brown's mother has defended his recent antics. Namely, him and his friends coming to Rihanna's Halloween party dressed as a group of terrorists. I guess he's got the personality that only a mother can love.

Jay-Z, Bruce Springsteen, Katy Perry, Dave Matthews Band, and Stevie Wonder have all performed at Obama's events recently. Mitt Romney? Well, I guess his dog howling from being strapped to his car could classify as music.

Albums out this week: Aerosmith's Music From Another Dimension, Ne-Yo's R.E.D., and more.

(All info from here on in is from inmusic.ca, except for new album releases, which are from the link above.)

Since I haven't done any movie news in a while...and to hold up my end of the bargain for our new entertainment trio:

-No comment on the Star Wars franchise sale to Disney. If you want my thoughts, go take a look at the topic we already have for it. I'm just gonna say that they better not fuck the new trilogy up too badly.

-Jamie Foxx has signed on to be Electro in The Amazing Spider-Man 2. This is actually an odd casting choice since Max "Electro" Dillon is caucasian. However, Jamie Foxx is a good actor when he wants to be and I'll probably end up catching this irregardless since The Amazing Spider-Man was surprisingly good.

-Speaking of odd casting choices, Sony has met with Idris Elba about the possibility of being the next James Bond once Daniel Craig steps away from the franchise. I mean it was risky making James Bond blonde, now they want to make him black? As long as the movies are still good.

-A sequel to The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is in the work. Oh I have a great name idea! "The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel". Genius!

-Guillermo Del Toro is a busy man. Now he is working on a supernatural super team movie named "Heaven Sent" which is about supernatural superheroes of the DC Universe. The list of potential characters includes The Spectre, Deadman, Swamp Thing, Phantom Stranger, Zatanna, John Constanine: Hellblazer, and Etrigan the Demon. Rejoice fanboys!

-So a Jason Statham movie is getting a sequel. The Mechanic 2 will probably be like every other Jason Statham movie. Open in the low-teens and then top off with twenty something million.

-Harrison Ford....and Zac Efron? The two are teaming up to star in a psychological thriller called "You Belong To Me". I'm as confused as you all are. And to make matters even more WTF, Rob Reiner is directing.

-So John Cusack is going to star in a Castle Wolfenstein movie. Too bad Cusack is catching up to Nicolas Cage in terms of lulzy bad acting, otherwise I would think this project had some potential.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger is returning to a familiar role. He is set to star in The Legend of Conan which this project is now on the fast track. Didn't Universal just try to reboot this franchise last year? I'm pretty sure the reboot bombed and I can see this doing pretty bad, despite Ahnuld's return.

-Add The Informationist to the list off future James Cameron projects that he will have stored away but never get to making because he is James Cameron and only James Cameron decides when James Cameron wants to make more movies by James Cameron. #Cameron'sMassiveEgo

-Adam Sandler is going to do a western comedy called The Ridiculous Six. Oh can I guess who the Six are going to be? Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, Nick Swardson, Allen Covert, David Spade, and Kevin James. Sorry Sandler, but you can't surprise me with your casting choices anymore.

This Week in Music

A letter written by John Lennon to Eric Clapton in 1971 is going up for auction. So if you have roughly 30,000 dollars you can blow, by all means go ahead. The letter reportedly expresses Lennon's desire to work with Clapton and bring out the guitarist's greatness.

Coldplay drummer Will Champion will be playing a drummer in the next season of HBO's Game of Thrones. Well, I guess he doesn't mind being typecast.

The tracklist for Shitty Rihanna Album #37... er, Unapologetic has been revealed by Rihanna. Featured artists include Eminem, Future, Mikky Ekko, and Chris Brown. I'm sure that this will be a joy to make my worst enemies listen to.

Psy will be receiving the Okgwan Order from the South Korea's Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Tourism for his massive hit "Gangnam Style". Now if I go to Korea and pelvic thrusting/rapping combos do not appear in an elevator, I for one will be very disappointed.

Twilight star Nikki Reed and American Idol wannabe Paul McDonald, who are a couple, in case anybody didn't know or care, have recently released their debut album, entitled "The Best Part". Nikki Reed has said that it's the love from her husband that made this all possible. How very sweet. Whatever.

In other album news, albums out this week include Green Day's Dos!, OneRepublic's Feel Again, The Rolling Stones' GRRR! (greatest hits collection), and more.

This Week in Music

Rihanna has amassed $317,000 in late departure fees from delayed concerts. Because if there's one thing you want in a Rihanna concert, it's an encore.

AC/DC have finally allowed their songs to be sold on iTunes. For those about to rock, I salute you.

Florence Welch is taking a break from Florence + the Machine to write a musical. She plans on writing her songs with her childhood friend and costume designer Sophie Hart-Walsh. And all this before she's 30. Talk about ambition.

Snoop Dogg/Lion has announced that he's interested in investing in a UK football club. They're going to call it the Fo-Shizzle Ball Club. Okay, just kidding with that last one. Snoop has also expressed interest in signing up soccer superstar David Beckham to be on the team. That is, if any of this flies.

The American Music Awards, or rather the Self-Indulgent Exactly Like The Grammies Awards were ruled by Justin Bieber. Who is Canadian. Other big winners included Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, and Carly Rae Jepsen for best new artist. Performers included Taylor Swift, Christina Aguilera, and Ke$ha. And yews, I stopped caring after Bieber as well.

Speaking of Justin Bieber, he's back together with Selena Gomez, much to the irrational rage of tweeny-bop girls everywhere.

Albums out this week: Phillip Phillips' The World From the Side of the Moon, Rihanna's Unapologetic, Pitbull's Global Warming, and more.

This Week in Music

Rihanna has amassed $317,000 in late departure fees from delayed concerts. Because if there's one thing you want in a Rihanna concert, it's an encore.

AC/DC have finally allowed their songs to be sold on iTunes. For those about to rock, I salute you.

Florence Welch is taking a break from Florence + the Machine to write a musical. She plans on writing her songs with her childhood friend and costume designer Sophie Hart-Walsh. And all this before she's 30. Talk about ambition.

Snoop Dogg/Lion has announced that he's interested in investing in a UK football club. They're going to call it the Fo-Shizzle Ball Club. Okay, just kidding with that last one. Snoop has also expressed interest in signing up soccer superstar David Beckham to be on the team. That is, if any of this flies.

The American Music Awards, or rather the Self-Indulgent Exactly Like The Grammies Awards were ruled by Justin Bieber. Who is Canadian. Other big winners included Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, and Carly Rae Jepsen for best new artist. Performers included Taylor Swift, Christina Aguilera, and Ke$ha. And yews, I stopped caring after Bieber as well.

Speaking of Justin Bieber, he's back together with Selena Gomez, much to the irrational rage of tweeny-bop girls everywhere.

Albums out this week: Phillip Phillips' The World From the Side of the Moon, Rihanna's Unapologetic, Pitbull's Global Warming, and more.

About damn time.

Oh, right

Television News

• NBC is expected to wrap up its fall season as the No. 1 broadcast network in the key 18-49 advertising demographic for the first time in a decade. However, with both its red-hot Sunday Night NFL telecast and hugely popular singing competition "The Voice" ending in December, its unlikely that the network will be able to maintain its great success.
  • Last Friday, CBS's newest comedy "Partners", created by Will & Grace alumni David Kohan and Max Mutchnick, was cancelled, marking its second cancellation so far this year, following the legal drama "Made in Jersey."
  • Also last Friday, ABC cancelled two freshman shows: dramas "Last Resort" and "666 Park Avenue". Though the network says it will air the remaining episodes of both series, neither have been picked up for additional episodes.
  • High-profile prostitute Lindsay Lohan will play Elizabeth Taylor in an upcoming Lifetime Movie, titled "Liz & Dick". It's gotten mixed to negative reviews from critics and will premiere on November 25.

• Like 1

Movie News (I like the bold idea JCM)

-Lawrence Kasdan has returned to screenwriting. The writer of The Empire Strikes Back has come back to write....you guessed it...the new Star Wars trilogy. Arguably the best of the original trilogy, fanboys can now rejoice that there is some credibility to their beloved series and can now rejoice about it on the internet, but complain again when George Lucas rapes their nostalgia some more.

-Studio Ghibli fans can also rejoice that Miyazaki has a new film coming out next year currently titled The Wind Rises. Not much else is known at this point, but even more internet fanboys are rejoicing.

-Because of the success of Lincoln, Universal Studios is moving forward with a biopic of the final days of another historical figure, Martin Luther King Jr. called Memphis.

-Liam Neeson has another action movie coming out called All Nighter. No it is not about staying up all night doing activities, but it's about...you guessed it...Liam Neeson protecting his family from evil doers. And yes, Liam Neeson is being typecasted.

-Independence Day will not be re-released in 3D next summer. Maybe there is some hope out there about unnecessary re-releases for extra money.

-Tom Hardy has been casted as Sam Fisher in the Splinter Cell movie adaptations. Looking forward to this.

-Alexander Skarsgard has been casted as Tarzan in the new live action Tarzan movie. Not looking forward to this.

-The film adaptation of MacGyver will be from the guy who gave us Insidious and Saw. Oh the horror.

Movie News (I like the bold idea JCM)

-Lawrence Kasdan has returned to screenwriting. The writer of The Empire Strikes Back has come back to write....you guessed it...the new Star Wars trilogy. Arguably the best of the original trilogy, fanboys can now rejoice that there is some credibility to their beloved series and can now rejoice about it on the internet, but complain again when George Lucas rapes their nostalgia some more.

-Studio Ghibli fans can also rejoice that Miyazaki has a new film coming out next year currently titled The Wind Rises. Not much else is known at this point, but even more internet fanboys are rejoicing.

-Because of the success of Lincoln, Universal Studios is moving forward with a biopic of the final days of another historical figure, Martin Luther King Jr. called Memphis.

-Liam Neeson has another action movie coming out called All Nighter. No it is not about staying up all night doing activities, but it's about...you guessed it...Liam Neeson protecting his family from evil doers. And yes, Liam Neeson is being typecasted.

-Independence Day will not be re-released in 3D next summer. Maybe there is some hope out there about unnecessary re-releases for extra money.

-Tom Hardy has been casted as Sam Fisher in the Splinter Cell movie adaptations. Looking forward to this.

-Alexander Skarsgard has been casted as Tarzan in the new live action Tarzan movie. Not looking forward to this.

-The film adaptation of MacGyver will be from the guy who gave us Insidious and Saw. Oh the horror.

i lol'd hard

This Week in Music

An album of unreleased Jimi Hendrix songs will be released in March of 2013. The album will be called "People, Hell and Angels" and compiler Eddie Kramer has described it as "a fantastic window into Jimi's mind". Instead of his regular backing band The Experience, Jimi recorded these songs with Stephen Sills on bass and Buddy Miles on drums. And the wind cries profit.

Rihanna says she had to save her voice for her 777 trip. No shit? Does Cristiano Ronaldo take care of his fitness as well?

Matt Bellamy of Muse has revealed that the official soundtrack of the 2012 Olympic Games, "Survival", is in fact about the end of the world. More specifically, those guys that go around proclaiming the end of the world, survivalists. Interesting choice, London. Queen Elizabeth, upon hearing this news, was not amused:

Queen-Elizabeth-meme-5-500x315.jpg

But then again, is she ever?

Mick Jagger has been rehearsing hard for The Rolling Stones' 50 and Counting Shows. He's been "singing his ass off", but apparently is not too worried about his dancing. Why should he be? He's got moves like Jagger.

In other Stones news, the Stones are facing a £200,000 fine because their gig at London's O2 on Sunday was 35 minutes too long. However, since they're set to get over £15 million from the 5 gigs they're playing, I doubt it'll be much of a problem.

One Direction is desiring a collaboration with Jay-Z, but fear they are "not cool enough" to work with him. That shit cray! What Makes You Beautiful is the dopest tune out there, and Jay-Z knows it. Let go of your doubts, Harry!

...I actually really want this to happen. It'll be the funniest thing since Ozzy Osbourne and Miss Piggy.

In other news, Nicki Minaj thinks that her album "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded - The Re-Up" isn't selling as well as it should be because stores are refusing to stock it. Or it could be because your fans have realized they're paying for 19 songs they already have plus 8 new ones. They're Nicki Minaj fans, yes, but they're not that stupid.

Pulp frontman Jarvis Cocker has said that his band won't be recording any new music due to the increasing challenge of doing so. I for one will miss the wit of "It Ain't Orange Juice Without It", and the sardonic tale of "I Was Once A Tree (Until The Loggers Got To Me)".

Robbie Williams has announced a strong of 15 European tour dates for 2013. Take that!

New albums out this week: Alicia Keys's Girl on Fire, The Winter Sounds' Runner, Wu-Block's debut self-titled album (collaboration of Wu-Tang Clan and D-Block), and more.

This Week in Television

• Actor Angus T. Jones, child star of the CBS comedy "Two and a Half Men", appeared in a YouTube video on Monday in which he called the hit show "filth". Two and a Half Men is filth? Tell me something I don't know.
  • Larry Hagman, who played scheming oilman J.R. Ewing in the CBS drama "Dallas" and reprised his role in the recent TNT reboot of the series, died on Friday. He survived getting shot, but not even this old cowboy could beat throat cancer. He was 81.
  • Mayim Bialik, an actress on the other CBS comedy "The Big Bang Theory", will be divorcing her husband of nine years. On the bright side, she'll always have Sheldon. :)

MOVIE NEWS

-In the sequel to X-Men: First Class, X-Men: Days of Future Past, the series has taken a turn to the nostalgia side as they are casting plenty of familiar faces. James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, and Nicholas Hault are all returning as Young Xavier, Young Magneto, Young Mystique, and Young Beast. However, some of the already rumored new names are not all that new. Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, and Hugh Jackman are all returning as the future (or present depending on how you look at it) Xavier, Magneto, and Wolverine. So Future Past is now turning into the film series past with all these nostalgia castings. So be prepared for Halle Berry and Rebecca Romijn to become relevant again if this film is a hit to deserve another sequel.

-Since Disney making live adaptations of every single property in their vault, the next adaptation is Cinderella for 2015. Cate Blanchett has already signed on as the evil stepmother, so this won't be too bad...RIGHT???

-So Disney is remaking Flight of the Navigator with writer turned director Colin Trevorrow at the helm. Thus keeping up with my recurring joke that every update includes one remake story and one sequel story.

-Speaking of remakes, MGM is remaking a horror movie that even horror fans would be challenged to remember. Go ahead, I dare anybody to say they remember The Town That Dreaded Sundown. I'll give any of you 100 doubloons if you remember it and don't half ass it either just for the doubloons because I know some of you might do that. I want actual proof that you've seen it with a legit review of the movie. I'll thoroughly analyze the review to see if I believe that any of you have actually seen it.

-Rocker/actor Lenny Kravitz is going to be Marvin Gaye in a biopic. Surprisingly, I'm not shaking my head at this.

-Seth MacFarlane is following up smash hit Ted with comedy western "A Million Ways to Die in the West". Is one of them via cutaway?

-It's quite possible that we may see Tom Cruise in the next Terminator movie if the studios behind the next installment ever get the project off the ground.

-Chronicle star Dane DeHaan has been casted as Harry Osborn in The Amazing Spider-Man 2. For those of you who haven't seen Chronicle yet, you should because the film is amazing. This is my favorite news story of the week because of Dane's performance in Chronicle is capable of showing how he can handle Harry's future in the Spider-Man franchise.

-The Grey and End of Watch are being re-released for Oscar consideration and someone must be drunk at Open Road to think that either of these films are Academy Award material.