• Advertisement

Important Notice to DirecTV Users

Jjs Goodman

Viacom, as of today, has forced DirecTV to pull Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, TV Land, and 21 other channels from their station. If you use DirecTV and want to see Nick still, switching providers may not be a bad idea.

The reason for this in a nutshell is that Viacom wants more money for their networks to be distributed on DirecTV, and DirecTV doesn’t want to pay the increases.

This doesn't apply to me (as I use Comcast), but I thought I'd still warn anybody who may use it.

As of July 20th, 2012, this has been resolved.

Well it could come back soon. It all depends on if DirecTV opens their pocketbooks and gives in to Viacom's demands. Otherwise, Viacom (once again) is just asking for moar and moar money.

.....This was a stupid move. Nick has already been stuttering in the ratings. This is just going to make it a whole lot worse. Depending on how big a cable provider DirecTV is, this could honestly kill Nick's ratings to the point where it drops back to third place. Not the smartest thing to do. I wish Viacom was less uptight.

I didn't think this would happen, which is why I wasn't worried. I hate Viacom. I wish Nickelodeon wasn't owned by them. I can't believe this; how am I supposed to watch the 21st premieres now?

And of course, this happens RIGHT after we move from FiOS to DirecTV.

What I don't understand is why this is only happening on DTV. Did other providers simply agree to Viacom's demands?

I think each provider has a separate contract with cable companies. I remember this same thing happening years back between Dish Network and Viacom. We went without it for about a week. Hopefully DirecTV and Viacom settle their differences soon.

Dodged a bullet this time since Suddenlink is our cable provider. To answer your question, tvguy, others probably did. However, I'm sure DirectTV and Viacom will reach a compromise eventually.

Honestly, things like this happen almost yearly. Cable provider threatens to drop Viacom networks. However, it usually seems to get resolved easily. This (aside from that Dish Network debacle a while ago) is the first time they've gone through with it. It's either going to get resolved within a week, or..... not.

But seriously, if this lasts, Viacom just shot itself in it's Nickelodeon brand foot. What a stupid move.

• Like 2

Viacom sucks, this furthers it. I use Charter as my cable provider, thank god, but this was one of the most stupid moves ever. Tons of people use DirecTV and if this doesen't get resolved in the week, Nick is going to seriously fall in the ratings.

I heard on CNN yesterday that Nick is actually DTV's biggest draw in terms of ratings. Could prove to be a factor in all this. I, on the other hand, have Oceanic Time Warner. The only problem I'm facing is that we currently don't have access to ABC, but I think that is just a problem with a local company here. Hope things ease up soon, DirecTVers.

Well, it appears Viacom pulled full episodes of shows from Nick.com and its own website. So, episodes that were previously free are no longer available.

I want to shoot Viacom. This just shows to everybody they're greedy, power-hungry monkeys.

Well, it appears Viacom pulled full episodes of shows from Nick.com and its own website. So, episodes that were previously free are no longer available.

I want to shoot Viacom. This just shows to everybody they're greedy, power-hungry monkeys.

The links SpongeSeb posted still miraculously work.