• Advertisement

Taylor Swift

Clappy

haha so let's talk about how this 

is some fresh ASS

the hook is ok, everything else is so bad 

I absolutely love everything about 1989, the throwback element, the embrace of her crazy persona, the overuse of Max Martin/Shellback. But a concept album based around Taylor retaliating in beefs where she's mostly been in the wrong (the Kanye/Kim stuff last year may be one of the biggest public L's ever taken) sounds like the corniest thing of all time. But like I said, 1989 is one of the best pop albums of the past 10 years, Red is no slouch either. So I thought maybe the fantastic music could overshadow the stupid concept. I thought maybe this could work. 

And on every level it absolutely doesn't. Some parts I can enjoy on a certain level. "Old Taylor can't come to the phone, BECAUSE SHE'S DEAD" is so campy it made me smile, and the production and the hook are *fire emoji*. But the bad girl posturing make this seem like something off a Fergie x Britney Spears colllab album from 2004. 

And no one wants that. 

Nowhere near the first single Shake It Off was, not sure how Reputation is gonna be. Cautiously unoptimistic.

watch this shit go #1 tho lmao 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bada Bing Nuggets said:

watch this shit go #1 tho lmao 

Maybe it will because her fan base is so dedicated, but I don't see it staying #1 for long at all. It's nowhere near as catchy as Shake It Off.

I gave myself some more time to think about it (and by that I mean the radio at work played this song every hour on the hour so I couldn't escape it).  I still think this is really bad, but I did find a bit of humor out of the Taylor Swift is dead line.  Just because it reminded me of how much better Taylor monologued in We're Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together.  And who knows, maybe I'll still give the album a shot just out of sheer curiosity if anything else sounds remotely better than this and the fact that 1989 is one of my favorite pop albums of the last decade.

But yeah, "Look What You Made Me Do" is straight up ass.  I already pointed out in the chatbox on how I think it sounds like shit (sorry Nugs, completely disagree about the production, it's ass) and how it's hard to feel bad for Taylor Swift anymore as a victim of bad PR.  One thing I didn't touch upon earlier is that this song could have possibly worked on some remote level if Taylor Swift didn't have such thin skin because even on a self-aware level, I don't remotely buy any of this.  This song is begging for some genuine intensity and Taylor can't even deliver that because the song is so flat, monotonous, and limp.  For someone who is rewriting herself as "harder" and "smarter", this is just not wanted.

I get why she is trying to reinvent herself.  She took so many losses last year, as Nugs stated with Kim and Kanye specifically, but with Calvin Harris, Katy Perry, the internet, the paperboy, and probably me for all that I know.  This is just not the right way to do it.  I think this song succeeded in one aspect.  It made me appreciate "Blank Space" even more in the past twenty four hours because that is Taylor doing self-awareness 100 times better.  Who knows maybe there is another "Blank Space" on Reputation where Taylor is swallowing her own snake tail (pun intended) about how big of a bitch she got exposed as in the public eye last year.  But this is certainly not it.  Not even remotely close.

i dont even like taylor anymore but I just wanted to see what the commotion was all about. Everything but the chorus sounds good in a change of her regular sound sort of way (except the old taylor is dead line, kinda cheesy) kinda reminds me of some track off of a gwen stefani album with thinking the chorus will make the song climax up but it just kinda makes it fall even or flat.

The line about the old Taylor being dead is the cheesiest bullshit ever. I'm not talking enjoyable cheesiness like Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, I mean forced. We should be able to tell that you're reinventing yourself without explicitly saying something stupid like that, at least use a euphemism like the Phoenix, anything else. Especially when this "old Taylor" seems to be a much better songwriter, even if it's easy to joke about her entire discography being about breakups I'd prefer that over this bleak attention grab of horrible production and some of the weakest lyrics for a new image that I've ever heard, and all of this to try and recover from "losing" so much in celebrity drama that nobody should give a damn about, apparently from what I've been hearing. seriously though no bassline or melody? did they even try for the instruments on this one

The videos (and overall concept) for Blank Space and Shake It Off displayed Taylor being self-aware in a poppy, tongue-in-cheek, "fuck it, who cares if I'm crazy/white as hell" way that felt breezy and comedic, because it was embracing these criticisms. 

This video does the same thing in a way that rejects those criticisms, and it's not good. 

Now, the whole thing is well directed, with cool shots and costumes and concepts. But the concept of the song leaks through that into the video, and watching Taylor be such a "badass" is cringey, and that skit at the end seems funny, but it really just seems to be someone referencing their problems and not doing anything about them. 

As with Kanye, there was a time I could overlook the personality because the music was so good, but now they've both made a point to make the two things one and the same, and it's hard to watch. I'm hesitant to call the video bad because it's directed so well, but like Wumbo said, I think it's only made me hate the song more.

Taylor in her formation outfit deadass sexy af tho 

• Like 1

I loved the video. It was well-shot and I thought all the different references were cool, plus I liked seeing the past Taylors at the end. I'm going to remain optimistic about this era and see how the album turns out.

12 hours ago, Bada Bing Nuggets said:

The videos (and overall concept) for Blank Space and Shake It Off displayed Taylor being self-aware in a poppy, tongue-in-cheek, "fuck it, who cares if I'm crazy/white as hell" way that felt breezy and comedic, because it was embracing these criticisms. 

This video does the same thing in a way that rejects those criticisms, and it's not good. 

Now, the whole thing is well directed, with cool shots and costumes and concepts. But the concept of the song leaks through that into the video, and watching Taylor be such a "badass" is cringey, and that skit at the end seems funny, but it really just seems to be someone referencing their problems and not doing anything about them. 

As with Kanye, there was a time I could overlook the personality because the music was so good, but now they've both made a point to make the two things one and the same, and it's hard to watch. I'm hesitant to call the video bad because it's directed so well, but like Wumbo said, I think it's only made me hate the song more.

Taylor in her formation outfit deadass sexy af tho 

I agree word for word with this entire post, man.

It absolutely is a well shot music video and it's honestly refreshing to see a music video with this much effort put into it.  Especially when, to me, music videos don't seem to be as important as they once were.  But you said it best that the concept of the song is plastered all over the music video and it's incredibly hard to ignore.  And yeah that sketch at the end is funny.  I laughed.  That doesn't make it any less of a fact that the self-awareness won't hide the fact that just because she is bringing it up doesn't mean she is doing anything about it.

• Like 1

Yeah Gorgeous is the first Taylor Swift single I've kinda liked off of Reputation.  I've already stated my thoughts about Look What You Made Me Do above.  Ready For It has that chorus...and that's pretty much it because god those lyrics are incredibly cringeworthy...possibly more so than LWYMMD.  Also the production on RFI is obnoxious, not one of Max Martin's best. 

Gorgeous is like Taylor looked at a mathematical formula for why 1989 was successful and then tried to apply it to this song but it's got none of the whimsy that made those 2014 singles work

I've already detailed why LWYMMD is a broken toilet of a song 

Ready For It indeed bangs and is a twist on Taylor/Max Martin's usual pop grandeur and while some might say it's jarring, it worked for me quite a bit 

this album is gonna be weird.

• Like 1

I would gladly give my thoughts, but someone decided to make Reputation unavailable on any streaming platform.  I’m still on the fence when it comes to buying the album because the only song I legitimately like is Call It What You Want.

Whenever it does become available to stream though, I eagerly await to listen to that Ed Sheeran and Future collaboration.  That’s too bizzare to not find any sort of enjoyment someway somehow.