• Advertisement

Chester Bennington (lead singer of Linkin Park) has killed himself at 41

sbl

Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington has committed suicide ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell us the singer hanged himself at a private residence in Palos Verdes Estates in L.A. County. His body was discovered Thursday just before 9 AM.

Chester was married with 6 children from 2 wives.

The singer struggled with drugs and alcohol for years. He had said in the past he had considered committing suicide because he had been abused as a child by an older male.

Chester was very close with Chris Cornell, who himself committed suicide by hanging in May. Today would have been Cornell's 53rd birthday. Chester wrote an open letter to Chris on the day of Chris' suicide.

The band has had a string of hits over the years, including "Faint," "In the End" and "Crawling." Linkin Park crossed music genres, collaborating with Jay-Z.

The band's album, "Meteora," was one of the biggest alternative albums in music history.
Bennington was 41.
RIP

https://www.tmz.com/2017/07/20/linkin-park-singer-chester-bennington-dead-commits-suicide/

R.I.P

This was an an unusual time for me to grieve the man's death, because I have lost interest in the band since a few years back, and 2017 was not a good year for Linkin Park in general. One More Light was a disappointing album and Chester himself has gotten himself involved with some controversy for lashing out at his older fans that didn't like the new direction the band went for. I could go on about how their pop "experimentation" was a disaster, but I'd definitely have to put that aside when the frontman of a band, that I grew up listening to, killed himself. To be real honest, this news horrified me. From when I used to be really into the band, Chester made Linkin Park stand out with his vocal delivery and songwriting. There's also no denying that Chester left a big impact on other current rock/alternative artists. Seeing how Chester committed suicide at quite a young age feels very sad to me.

R.I.P., hoping for the best for Linkin Park and your bandmates in the near future.

• Like 2

Everyone from my childhood is going, man... :(

Like Steel, I loved Linkin Park as a kid but never got into their later songs. That's beyond the point though, it's sad to see someone you enjoyed listening to as a kid go so soon. Rest in peace to him, and my dearest regards to his friends and family.

Like I said on SBM, this was not the news I wanted to wake up to today. My mom was a huge fan of Linkin Park since the beginning so it was hard on her as it is on me since I've heard a lot of their older discography. And suicide too? That's one of the worst ways you could ever die. He will be greatly missed.

Also, glad to see people have some respect in this topic, unlike SBM...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, This is a username. Enjoy it. said:

Like I said on SBM, this was not the news I wanted to wake up to today. My mom was a huge fan of Linkin Park since the beginning so it was hard on her as it is on me since I've heard a lot of their older discography. And suicide too? That's one of the worst ways you could ever die. He will be greatly missed.

Also, glad to see people have some respect in this topic, unlike SBM...

Gotta love the backhanded apology.

"true i will stop that and i will just not be annoyed by these topics cause after all this is the only time sbm will be serious and yeah it is sad he died we need to stop these deaths before they take away all the spongebob characters"

thumb.png

Would you like to have that quote on your tombstone?

"Why do you care? It's just him showing respect for someone who has passed away :/"

Yeah, it's pretty insulting to look at making a topic for the death of a beloved person being considered "spamming". We haven't gotten that cynical and nihilistic.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Metal Snake said:

Gotta love the backhanded apology.

"true i will stop that and i will just not be annoyed by these topics cause after all this is the only time sbm will be serious and yeah it is sad he died we need to stop these deaths before they take away all the spongebob characters"

thumb.png

Would you like to have that quote on your tombstone?

"Why do you care? It's just him showing respect for someone who has passed away :/"

Yeah, it's pretty insulting to look at making a topic for the death of a beloved person being considered "spamming". We haven't gotten that cynical and nihilistic.

omg you quoted my response *squee*

I was really shocked when I heard this news, me and my dad both like Linkin Park so it really saddened me. ;-; 

• Like 1

I admittedly grew out of Linkin Park a while back (and been admittedly harsh to some of their songs on here) but they were there for me when I needed them. Sounds corny, but it's true. And a big part of what made them work was Chester Bennington putting every ounce of his soul into his work. Thanks for everything you gave, and may you have found peace.

Gonna leave it with one of my faves.

• Like 1

Like many others, I have grown out of Linkin Park, but holy fucking shit, man. Linkin Park was a massive fixture of my music taste throughout middle school, so they will always have a place in my heart and hearing someone that I did use to, and still kinda do, idolize leave behind SIX KIDS due to suicide is the worst news I could have gotten today.

Rest in piece, man. People may make fun of you, but the fact that you've hit the hearts of so many people no matter what is an amazing feat. Fuck people's subjective opinions, you have been a real help.

• Like 3

I've never been a fan of Linkin Park but Chester's impact on music in the 2000's is indisputable and he will be missed greatly. Linkin Park, being one of the godfathers of the mainstream metal of the 21st century, changed popular music in the first part of the 2000's and as their peers faded into obscurity, Linkin Park managed to always stay somewhat relevant. RIP Chester Bennington. 

Guess he's crawling in his skin in Paradise (or Hades, or wherever he is now because I have no conception of his moral compass, he was always just a funny edgy guy that angsty 12 year olds listen to).

This is so sad to hear :( Haven't listened to much of Linkin Park's music but I see how influential they've been and how many people connected with their music. May he rest in peace.

And if anyone out there is hurting, please please PLEASE talk to someone. I know it may be hard but there is always someone willing to listen and help. 

• Like 2