• Advertisement

214a. Patrick's Coupon

Jjs Goodman

Rating  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Coupons: I am going to use this coupon to get an ice cream for my bestest friend in the whole ocean!
    • 4/5 Coupons: You have fought well today, sea spider.
    • 3/5 Coupons: You're all after my coupon!
    • 2/5 Coupons: You should be ashamed of yourself, taking advantage of a simpleton like that.
    • 1/5 Coupons: You ruined my deal!

(No promo image available at this time)

Premieres: 

Saturday, June 17th @ 10:00am ET/PT

Encores:

Saturday, June 17th @ 4:30pm ET/PT

Sunday, June 18th @ 8:30am ET/PT

Saturday, June 24th @ 9:30am ET/PT

Plot:

Patrick has a coupon for free ice cream, but he has to get to the store if he wants to use it.

Clips:

N/A

Edited by Austin Layers

I thought this episode was okay. Nothing really special when it comes to Patrick centered episodes. The beginning with the sea spider was pretty funny and it was pretty sweet how even though Squidward knows Patrick's an idiot, he won't even let Mr. Krabs try and rip him off. I had a feeling the coupon would end up being expired, but I never thought that it would lead to the whole ice cream thing. I thought that part was mostly okay at best, course when you think about it, Patrick's ability to grow hair was established in Krabby Road. So this episode wasn't the best for me, but it wasn't bad.

I also thought it was okay at best. During the beginning, I expected something bad from the episode. Patrick throwing SpongeBob's ice cream felt lime typical season 7 Patrick and that starting the plot felt forced but luckily It didn't go with the direction I was expecting. I legit expected SpongeBob to tag along and Patrick acting even worse towards him like most likely him getting the ice cream but not giving it to SpongeBob. Instead it was Patrick solo adventure, which could have been so bad but It didn't. I liked how pacing was well balanced for the most part. There were some good gags. Patrick being on the ground and couple thinking it's a Hollywood star, except an ugly one and them doing a meta commentary on this show was very funny. I liked how one of the cops didn't care so much about Patrick disturbing people and eating his pie. The part when the ice cream worker insulting Patrick and then close up of how Patrick was so messy and pathetic made me laugh. Visually this episode looks great, no surprise here. I was legit enjoying this episode until ice cream king stuff started. I was being interested in this because It looked like the climax of the episode and Patrick having a showdown with ice cream king and unfortunately ice cream king turned out to be a starfish with same looks and personality as Patrick. Yeah, I didn't like that. I liked how ice cream king sounded like Uncle Grandpa (guessing that was actual voice actor of Uncle Grandpa) but I still didn't like the character. Their showdown was occasionally fun but mostly lame and annoying, especially hair growth gag. Maybe I would get invested in another Patrick if that was actually like Patrick from the future because he looked older than Patrick and both has same personalities and looks. Maybe the episode could have gone a bit insane with Patrick driving himself to insane with ice cream coupon and for some reason going back in time and becoming ice cream king. Well It could have been overstuffed and complicated tho but idk, that would have been much better than just seeing two Patrick having a lame showdown. It was kind of sweet to see SpongeBob having a giant ice cream and sharing with Patrick lol.

Overall, I would say middle part of this episode was actually good but I didn't like how it started and how the climax turned out to be. Just an okay episode  I suppose.

Grade: B- 

• Like 1

It was overall just okay to me. Nothing fantastic, nothing terrible, just okay. The first half was decently entertaining with stuff like the sea spider fighting Patrick, and Patrick trying to get to the store. I also liked how Squidward cared about Patrick for a change when Krabs tried to scam him. I feel the episode stalled a bit when Patrick met the Ice Cream King (who wasn't bad or anything, I just don't know if we needed another Patrick), and the growing hair contest was meh, but none of it was flat out or bad or anything. It was amusing to hear Uncle Grandpa's voice I guess. The ending was deliciously sweet.

Grade: B

• Like 3

Yeah the face-off with the sea spider was the kind of zane that S10 does well. Them bowing to each other was peculiar. I think I would've preferred it if Patrick had just gone to get ice cream for himself (but him doing it for SpongeKnob Hairpants makes his happy ending deserved). Squidward really should've given Patrick a handshake to compensate for that interruption. (smirk) Patrick's paranoia with the citizens was kind of cringy. Ice Cream castle was a gorgeous new setting, though I'm surprised they didn't take the opportunity to insert a Goofy Goober pandering reference. The guy in an ice cream suit laying into Patrick was kind of hilarious. Ice Cream King's design was pretty fugly. In a way, that end part was a lot of Uncle Grandpa-ish humor. Specifically that fine print nonsense. Patrick fighting a worse Patrick was just kind of obnoxious though, wish they had gotten a little more creative. Patrick getting his handshake was good comeuppance for Krabs. But yikes, it's hard for me to rate this. The animation quality roughed out some of the edges but I'm once again surprised to see this not on Gruber's writing resume with how immature and gross it got.

• Like 2

A pretty average episode, although I did like how Patrick was being "Likable Stupid" in this episode, as opposed to being "Obnoxious Stupid" or "Hurtful Stupid" as he could get in some past episodes. I actually didn't think that the Ice Cream King looked THAT ugly; we've seen FAR uglier characters on this series. ("The Trenchbillies", anyone?) Overall, I'd give this episode an 80/100.

Here, we have something that, a couple years ago would have been reprehensible. Patrick-centric episodes circa Season 6-8 were reason to fear. Patrick's stupidity is a fine line that very few Post-Movie writers know how to traverse well - I'd argue that the only one who even remotely got it was Sean Charmatz, maybe Luke Brookshier. From around 2005-2014, Patrick's character deteriorated and morphed from a lovable but misinformed dummy into a complete idiot with a mean streak, and while sometimes it was tolerable, that Season 6-8/9 period was tough to bear when it came to his character. In Post-Sequel times, he's teetered back over the edge into something fun and cute again - "Patrick! The Game" is one of my favorite Post-Sequel outings. And while there's a lot that's been drastically improved, there are still problems that permeate this show, especially in this strange, zany Season 10 era. Here, we get another attempt at a day in the life of Patrick, but it only ends up further proving that while this show has taken a rapid turn uphill, there's still a ways to go in terms of fixing some long-standing problems. 

Da Good

-Spider Sequence was funny.

-the cop eating his pie while being told to get Patrick was gold. "Yeah, he uh... Got away."

-"BECAUSE I'M A NICE GUY!" is a Season 6 esque joke, but whatever, I laughed.

-I really thought the episode was about to become "Patrick eats SpongeBob's ice cream like a jerk and tries to hide it from him" but it turned into something totally different (and perhaps worse) so I'll commend it for that

-The Ice Cream store actually was very well painted 

- the sequence with the ice cream janitor finding increasingly mean ways to call Patrick pathetic was hilarious, especially with the painted close up

-the Ice Cream King part of the episode was really dumb but the glasses pun got me

-Karate while dressed like ice cream? WELL ALRIGHT

Da Bad

-yeah the second Peter Browngardt's character got in here it started getting stupid in an unfunny way. Like, yeah. I get it, Patrick's stupid. Very stupid. The more you beat that into the ground in a non clever way, the more annoying that becomes, and putting him in a room with someone even DUMBER bordered on unbearable for a little bit. 

-Kaz wrote this and I just wish that off-kilter genius he had when working with Tibbitt was still around because these episodes aren't doing it for me man. The Ice Cream king's segment felt like the plot was too short and the writers didn't know wtf to do with 5 minutes left in the plot. This and SpongeBob's Place have some of the thinnest plots this show has seen the likes of, and this whole "HEY EVERYTHING'S FAST PACED AND EXAGGERATED AND CUH-RAZY" thing that's been Season 10s modus operandi has already outstayed it's welcome, and in the shortest season of the show ever, that's a friggin problem. 

-like I said, there were some moments where the episode threatened to teeter into Season 6/7 territory with Patrick's characterization/some jokes, and while it never did, the constant paranoia wasn't fun 

6.5-7/10. Not awful, certainly not to the level of some other episodes I've probably given the same score. But we're in different times now, and this is definitely below the standard. Bring on Season 11, because I'm kinda getting sick of the Ren and Stimpy impressions dawg

• Like 4

Squidward was thoughtful and Patrick was thoughtful, what got into them? :P And UNCLE GRANDPA- I mean king starfish dude guy.. The dumbness between them got kinda old but kinda liked seeing someone matched up to Patrick for once. Probably wouldn't rewatch more than twice, but not a bad ep.

I don't like this episode. Take everything people say is wrong with Season 10 and pack it into one episode, then multiply that several times. This one is frustrating to sit through, without many things that I really enjoy. The beginning of the episode, with Patrick battling the sea spider, was just... there. Thinking back on it, what was the use of the sea spider battle? Then there's what's likely one of Patrick's worst moments in the entire season, where he slaps Spongebob's ice cream onto the ground just because he wants to get Spongebob an ice cream cone. It's just so... ugh. The majority of the episode from there is painfully meh, with Patrick running around everywhere with sporadic jokes that don't land well, and it stays that way up to about the point where Patrick reaches the ice cream shop. After finding out that his coupon expired years ago, Patrick throws a fit and it is just so ANNOYING. The fight with the Ice Cream King, another idiotic starfish (there's a nice touch here; he's voiced by the voice actor of Uncle Grandpa, and it fits) was... there, and it resolves... sort of. The ice cream that the Ice Cream King is... scooped out from his underarm. Oh good god, that's gross. The ending was nice though; Spongebob turned out to have bought the exact ice cream that Patrick wanted to buy him, so it worked out in the end I guess. However, that doesn't excuse the rest of the episode from being mediocre at best and downright irritating at worst.

FINAL RATING: 3/10 (BAD episode)