• Advertisement

202a. Food Con Castaways

Jjs Goodman

Rating?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Foods: THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER!
    • 4/5 Foods: You're darn tootin' it is!
    • 3/5 Foods: We are not stopping until we get to food con!
    • 2/5 Foods: What's Food Con?
    • 1/5 Foods: Additionally, who cares?

KEAaa6O.jpg    

Premieres

Wednesday, July 13th @ 5:30pm ET/PT

Encores:

N/A

Plot:

The gang heads to a food convention, but things go awry when they become stranded in the woods.

Clips:

N/A

Josh Androsky and Daniel Dominguez wrote this episode; they also wrote "Married to Money".

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 1

I had an idea just like this 5 years ago of them going to a business food convention, so this is trippy. It had some good on the road gags and stuff. And it was kinda funny to see both Krabs and Squidward annoyed together. They had a lot of quick humor and expressions. And I even saw a moarish face. Nice unsuspecting ending with the nature patty. Could have had a little bit more depth of a story while they were in the kelp forest, but it's fine. At least they got a road trip out of it.

The pacing was yet again an issue. Did they really need the trucker gag? Nah, that coulda been scrapped. Besides that I don't have really too many issues, but there wasn't too much of a positive in it either, as the nature patty only tasted good for Patrick then just won for the heck of it, and well, the whole thing was predictable, it was sorta like Runaway roadtrip, Pizza Delivery, and Club SpongeBob got combined into a weird mixture which I'm not sure on yet. For now I'll be generous and give it a 7/10 because there were a few good gags, and the animation and expressions were a good touch.

Ehh, right now, I'm honestly mixed on this one. I felt like it could've been funnier. It's not the worst 9.2 episode (that honor still goes to The Fishbowl for me personally), but I felt like this one was somewhat a waste of potential. Patrick also got on my nerves a bit in this episode, and while he had a reason to eat their food, it wasn't really funny either time it happened. Squidward getting smoke blown into his face was really unnecessary and didn't need to happen at the end at all. I feel like it dragged quite a bit near the end, and got kind of dull when they were stranded in the Kelp Forest (if that was it). The animation and settings were nice, but that's par for the course at this point. This felt like a lost Runaway Roadtrip episode of sorts, but alas, I didn't find this one as good as most of those. Maybe I'll need to re-watch it, but right now, I wasn't too impressed.

Grade: C

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Thanks 1

I thought this was pretty good. The part with the road trip was funny and when Krabs, Squidward, and Patrick are trying to steal the krabby patty. I thought the ending was a tad predictable, but it was a nice twist with the nature patty.

I found this to be really good. While I wish we could see more of food con,  the journrey of the charcters was so wacky and unusual I had fun with it. The gags were pretty nice with a few exeptions like Squidward getting smoke into his face or Patrick eating all the food. I loved characters going really insane, even SpongeBob has gone a bit crazy but it was good to see him protecting the patty. Also I did not expect that twist at the end coming, tho we knew how it played out due to the promo spoiling it. This is a pretty good eppie imo. 

Grade: B+

*Spoiler Alert! If you haven't seen the episode, I would strongly recommend to NOT read my review!*

Ever wanted to be stranded in the woods with SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs, I know I have! This episode is a very fun and creative episode of the show and is a complete joy to watch. In the episode, SpongeBob and the gang (Patrick, Squidward and Mr. Krabs) are heading to Food Con to nominate the Krabby Patty for the Golden Cornucopia, but they manage to get lost in the woods due to SpongeBob and Patrick's crazy shenanigans. As they are in the woods, the only food they behold is one single Krabby Patty, and because they are all hungry, the gang fight for the Krabby Patty. I found these segments to be very entertaining, especially the running gag of Squidward getting dropped out of the sky by the snail monster. SpongeBob then, attempts to preserve the Krabby Patty from his savage friends. The gang make it to Food Con and the "Krabby Patty" wins the Golden Cornucopia. Overall, I really enjoyed this episode and it is definately up there as one of the best episodes of Season 9 so far, along with "Sanctuary!", "Lost in Bikini Bottom" and "The Fish Bowl". I can't recommend this episode enough! Overall, I would give this episode a score of 9.5/10! An overall, amazing episode! :)

latest?cb=20160714172129

Edited by Invincibubble

This episode is proof that the Ren and Stimpy visuals didn't spontaneously start in Season 10-11. Legit the only "jokes" in this ep are the Season 10 esque wacky faces, yet it somehow is not a problem here (ok I'm done), and the cliche ending.

But yeah, not much is funny or interesting here. Just feels like an inferior Pizza Delivery or Club Spongebob. The story plays predictably, and the episode is as ho hum as they go. The concept is one that I'm sick of, and it is just so forgettable and bland. The food con stuff at the end feels tacked on like an afterthought, cause Patrick chowing on all the patties messing things up is more important right? This ep isn't as bad as the rehashed plots in Season 8, as the art is good here, but that is pretty much the only compliment I can give (something that every post sequel ep has). This ep does feel like a forgettable Season 10 ep, similar to the lame Snooze You Lose and House Worming.

On 7/13/2016 at 5:50 PM, Trash Boat said:

The pacing was yet again an issue. Did they really need the trucker gag? Nah, that coulda been scrapped. Besides that I don't have really too many issues, but there wasn't too much of a positive in it either, as the nature patty only tasted good for Patrick then just won for the heck of it, and well, the whole thing was predictable, it was sorta like Runaway roadtrip, Pizza Delivery, and Club SpongeBob got combined into a weird mixture which I'm not sure on yet. For now I'll be generous and give it a 7/10 because there were a few good gags, and the animation and expressions were a good touch.

I was too nice. All the things I mentioned with the expressions and being a weird combo of other episodes didnt execute like those ones did, and the ending was so half-assed there's no way it makes sense. Some of the animation was nice, but that's all I got for 9b's second worst episode.

• Like 1

I guess I weakly like this one? To be honest, it grew on me over time. While it's not the most original plot, there's not much for me to hate here either. The visuals are nice, if played up a bit especially for 9b standards and the atmosphere is interesting enough for what it is. While I can't exactly give it heavy praise due to this episode having somewhat weak writing (and the ending twist is too dumb to really enjoy anyways), I enjoy it enough I guess. Even still, this is one of 9b's weaker episodes, and falls below par for post-sequel as a whole, even if I still do like it.

7/10 (GOOD episode)