• Advertisement

Is it just me, or....

Ron

Are these new episodes not egregiously bad, but just really bland and kind of lacking a soul? I saw three episodes this morning – SpongeBob LongPants, Larry's Gym and SpongeCopy DittoPants (I think that's what it was called) and none of them were particularly bad, but they weren't good either. They were in this weird limbo that just felt off kilter. Jokes were odd, animation seemed out of place and trying to emulate the mannerisms of newer cartoons, and it seems like they use the same background soundtrack in every episode (which is annoying and creates this deja vu experience for me where each ep feels stale). I don't know, all three episodes felt very hollow to me. 

Am I alone in this assertion? Anyone else getting this vibe? The last batch of episodes I saw was Season 8/early Season 9, all of which were very good imo. 

• Like 2

It probably only feels like that because of the new direction the show is taking. I got used to the new style quickly, and the majority of post-SOOW episdoes are ones I adore.

• Like 2

Tbh those are some on the alright side of 9.2, but they have some pretty good ones, I generally like all of 9.2 except The Fishbowl, Sold!, Company Picnic, Two Thumbs Down, and Longpants, 5 eps might seem like a lot but not compared to s5-8.

I've noticed that too. I think it has to do with the new direction the show has taken. Plus the show has to compete with newer shows that have more up to date humor, its not that the new episodes are bad, its that times change and so does the humor in each era.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NegiSpongie said:

I think it maybe because the newer episodes feel like watching a Season 1-3 episode and we got used to the wackiness of Season 4-8 episodes.

I honestly don't agree. These new episodes, to me, don't feel like ANY other seasons. It's almost like an entirely new thing.

• Like 6

Well, I don't feel that all. I think these new episodes are as good as season 2 or 3. Better than season 1 even.

aand hate wait

Tbh I felt like this has been much better. Season 8 is a good season but a lot of episodes aren't really that great and season 9.1, while an improvement and had great episodes, had 3 crappy episodes. Aside from The Fishbowl, there hasn't been an episose I found bad in season 9.2 so far and most of them were pretty good to me (but people who says this is exact season 1-3 are so wrong). Yes, this transtion isn't for everyone but I hope you'll get used to it If you want to enjoy them so much.

Wumbo's post is fire and I see what you're saying but I think the Al Jean period was lowkey 9A, where the problems you talked about in the OP are there in spades

the background music is ridiculously annoying and every time I see SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidward outside their houses in the daytime like they have been for nearly 20 years now it does feel repetitive and annoying, but I do think that this newest batch has done a good job of keeping the environments fresh and the newer animation is fantastic imo. 

The episodes you watched were some of the season's more average fare.

1 hour ago, Bada Bing Nuggets said:

Wumbo's post is fire and I see what you're saying but I think the Al Jean period was lowkey 9A, where the problems you talked about in the OP are there in spades

the background music is ridiculously annoying and every time I see SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidward outside their houses in the daytime like they have been for nearly 20 years now it does feel repetitive and annoying, but I do think that this newest batch has done a good job of keeping the environments fresh and the newer animation is fantastic imo. 

The episodes you watched were some of the season's more average fare.

is 9A pre-movie or what

It almost feels like these episodes are trying to do something new with the show, but they can't make a solid decision on what they want to be. For every decent episode we have another that's ruined by it running at a snail's pace. Hopefully by Season 10, they'll have made up their minds and there will be less of a mixed bag of episodes.