• Advertisement

Best and Worst of Entertainment 2015: Take 2

Clappy

Due to site errors, this topic is being remade.  No worries though.  That glitch won't stop year end countdowns from moving forward. I won't be repeating the rules of this thread for emphasis.  EMPHASIS!  Because no explanation is really needed.  If you haven't figured out what to do in the four years of existence of these threads, re-read past ones.

My worst shows of 2015 list will be reposted tonight....TONIGHT!

• Like 5

On 12/2/2015, 6:19:30, illiniguy34 said:

Eyes crack and nose shrinks To-t-t-t-tonight?

More like Monday afternoon.

Couldn't find the prologue that I wrote for last week, but I found virtually everything else digging through Microsoft Word, so here it goes again.

Dishonorable Mentions:

ESPN First Take (ESPN2)

Normally I want to exclude talk shows as forms of television, but if I’m going to include streaming shows from Netflix and Hulu onto here, then there should be no reason to give talk shows a pass.  Now here’s where I can’t stand this.  Normally, I can tolerate the opinions of Stephen A. Smith when it comes to his opinions.  While his opinions can be a bit biased and his delivery is to be loud enough to not let anyone else get a word in edgewise, I’ve come to understand it.  I totally get why he has a following.  But will anyone please explain what I’m supposed to like about Skip Bayless?  Like I heard the rumors that this guy was incredibly awful when it came to analysts, but I wasn’t prepared for when I finally gave this show a chance after hearing how big ratings are for this on ESPN2.  But how does Skip Bayless have a career?  He doesn’t provide any actual insight into any of his debates.  All he does is spout nonsensical things to get arise out of people.  No actual analysis towards any of his points.  If it was a weekly show, then it wouldn’t bug me nearly as much, but this shit gets aired daily. 

Two and a Half Men (CBS)

For the record, while this last season was as abysmal as everything this show has put out in the last five years, I’ve spared it from making my worst list for the fourth year in a row due to the finale being amazing.  Seriously.  The finale was so amazingly bad, it was great.  I wish my show could have defied all possible logic for Charlie’s death, have a horrendous animated sequence where it was implied Charlie likes to fuck goats and transvestites, have some of the most hilariously bad cameos from the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Christian Slater, not even have Charlie Sheen make an appearance but have a look alike crushed by a falling piano straight out of the Looney Tunes playbook.  My god, I loved how shitacular that finale was to the point that I’m willing to spare it.

The Big Bang Theory (CBS)

Speaking of Chuck Lorre, I absolutely hate how filler heavy The Big Bang Theory has become.  Most of the past 4-5 years of new episodes have been an absolute wash 90% of the time.  The few major changes they do attempt to make backfire or reset themselves to the status quo.  I would definitely have this in my Bottom 10 if it wasn’t for the fact that they are actually willing to try new things in Season 9 with Sheldon/Amy’s break up, Leonard/Penny finally getting married, tension between Howard/Bernadette, and Raj…they are still absolutely wasting any potential that’s left with Raj.  It’s sad really because I use to defend this show heavily, but these past few years have me giving up hope that they will actually return to Season 2 and 3 levels of good writing.

Game Shakers (Nickelodeon)

If this wasn’t a sign of Dan Schneider’s decline into utter desperation, I don’t know what else could be?  I still haven’t sat through Henry Danger yet, but I don’t need to watch one episode to know that’s going to be terrible.  This though.  I feel betrayed.  I wanted to watch this because Kel is back on Nickelodeon.  And all the advertisements had him at the forefront instead of the child stars because Nickelodeon wanted this to badly have cross generation appeal.  What we got was a somewhat low rent iCarly carbon copy.  At least Kel was good.  He still has great comedic timing, but he can’t save one of the most clichéd Schneider sitcoms in quite some time.

American Idol (Fox)

Yeah it’s easy to see why this show is on its last legs.  Somehow not only do the singers have less personality than ever before, but so do the judges.  At least The Voice has that going for it.

Nostalgia Critic (Channel Awesome)

Due to slim pickings this year because there really wasn’t THAT much bad television, I would like to take the time and point out that The Nostalgia Critic has hit an all-time low.  Sure the decline has been obvious for a while now in quality, but it hit rock bottom in the worst ways imaginable this year.  Not only do they have the skits take away from the segments more so than before, but they have the skits becoming the reviews.  Also Doug’s nitpicking is becoming obvious to the point that he is quickly evolving into his character.  The blurred line between the actor and the character is nonexistent.  I hate to say it, but Channel Awesome’s sharp decline in 2015 can all be attributed towards The Nostalgia Critic’s quality this year.  Time to end the charade Doug.

Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family)

End this damn show.  It’s gotten too far overcomplicated for its own good.  At least they are moving five years into the future.  Those girls could only play high schoolers for so long.  And I’ll admit, at least the A twist made sense.

Clappy's Top 10 Worst Shows of 2015: Re-re-redux

For the record, I don’t hate this show.  I like this show.  I have it on my Top 50 television series of all-time.  I’ve never loved it, but I respect everything this show has accomplished in its twenty-seven years of existence.

10.  The Simpsons (Fox)

And it’s not like this past year has been as atrociously terrible as I find nearly everything else on this list, hell even some of my honorable mentions were far worse.  But watching The Simpsons use rating traps as a way to entrance viewers into finding this series still culturally relevant was by far some of the most unpleasant viewing experiences I had this year.  It technically started in 2014 when they actually had us all fooled in killing off a one note character and the ratings traps kept coming and coming and coming, building up to even more anticlimaxes in 2015 with Homer and Marge’s break-up….god even remembering that pisses me the hell off….and Bart Simpson finally being killed off by Sideshow Bob…seriously you had all the possibilities to run with that ball for a Treehouse of Horror, but only to disappoint like usual.  It was 2015 that made me beg for Fox to finally put the nail in the coffin.  The Simpsons are done.  Please actually get a new writing staff or just put the dog out of its misery Matt Groening.  This show deserves a proper sendoff, but this is the first year I am starting to question whether this creative staff is capable of even getting that right.

*scrolls back up*

Yeah Two and a Half Men.  You are spared.  Meet your new replacement.

9. The Odd Couple (2015) (CBS)

Oh I’m sorry, am I being too blunt?  After all, Two and a Half Men was inspired heavily by the original Odd Couple.  Well this remake is really making it hard for me to remember that this is not a remake of Two and a Half Men.  You decide to make Oscar a womanizer with a gambling and alcohol addiction?  You decide to make Felix into a clingy down on his luck loser who has odd social tendencies and gets questioned on his sexual orientation?  Yeah these two definitely aren’t Charlie and Alan Harper.  I want to at least like this show since I really like the chemistry between Matthew Perry and Thomas Lennon.  But man, the last thing I needed right now is a Two and a Half Men carbon copy and this is blatantly that.  It’s got nothing original going for it and the humor is Two and a Half Men levels of predictable.  I know it’s only 10-12 episodes into its run and surprisingly, I do think this has potential to rebound and carve out its own identity because the talent behind this is at least respectable.  But early returns are not as promising.

8. Last Man Standing (ABC)

So this one is fairly new to me.  I knew this existed since Tim Allen making his return to television was a big deal back in 2011.  But I finally got around to watching this on Netflix and man…what a waste of my time.  If I wanted to watch Tim Allen act like an old man about modern day society, I would read “Shit My Dad Says”.  I honestly couldn’t care less about this even if I tried.  I gave this show way too many chances out of respect for Home Improvement, but the fact this is still airing in 2015 is pure desperation to hope this gets relevant.  Next.

Speaking of trying to stay relevant.

7. Pig Goat Banana Cricket (Nickelodeon)

You know Nickelodeon, I’m getting absolutely tired of listing off one new animation a year from you for my worst list.  But I’m too morbidly curious to see how you are attempting to stay relevant.  And I see here you are trying to make a modern day Ren and Stimpy, but failing.  Badly.  Except you completely forgot what made Ren and Stimpy popular.  This is just as grating as everything else I’ve listed on this list from you year after year after year.  It’s way too tough to quit you Nickelodeon.  You were my childhood.  But watching your solutions fail to help solve your faltering ratings is just too sad to watch.

So I don’t know how many of you watched the Emmys, but when we were live chatting about it on the XAT, one award winner in particular pissed me the hell off.  So let’s go ahead and make it a perfect trifecta with my least favorite Chuck Lorre sitcom of 2015.

6. Mom (CBS)

I don’t get the appeal of this.  Are we supposed to be amused by these recovering alcoholics dysfunction?  Are we supposed to find their shortcomings hilarious?  Because what I see is a huge waste of credible actresses by an overrated television creator who is only getting by with brand recognition instead of smart writing and insulting television programs.  I think Anna Faris has made a career of choosing terrible projects because she certainly did when it came to her film career and her character here is an insufferable bitch to watch.  I love Allison Janney.  I loved her on The West Wing.  I loved her in Hairspray.  She is a great actress, but her two time Emmy winning role on Mom has to by far be the worst work she has ever done.  You guys think Sheldon Cooper is loathsome?  Wait until you watch Janney’s character Bonnie be easily one of the worst characters on television today.  I absolutely despise this character and it pains me to watch one of the best television actresses working today portray such a horribly written character.  Maybe the Emmys just hand her award for trying her best, but when it comes to beating out far more deserving actresses doing much better work, it irks me.

So take what you want from me judging television series on kid’s networks, but I am not afraid to admit that children’s television can actually be better than network television.  The writing is capable of being wittier, the acting can actually at times be better, yeah I’m willing to defend children’s television when needed.

5. Bunk’d (Disney)

But not when children’s television is this blatantly terrible.  I’ve already said plenty of awful things about Jessie in the past, but if I ever had anything positive to say (besides Debbie Ryan is attractive) is that the kid’s did have potential.  I thought that some of these kids had multi-sitcom potential with Disney and that they could carry the network for more than 3-4 years like other Disney child stars.  What I didn’t think of was that they would stick to the same shitty creative team behind Jessie and suffer from the same terrible problems that Jessie suffered from.  The racial typecasting, the horrible stereotypes, the cringe humor.  Jessie didn’t have these problems this blatantly obvious this early on the series.  Bunk’d made them this blatantly obvious in the pilot and still do if what I’m catching on the tailwind of my DVR for Girl Meets World is telling me.  I guess it’s true that the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree.  I just wish it was a different tree than Jessie because I want to like these kids.  But not if they are not going to branch out to work with different writing teams.

4. Family Guy (Fox)

And the fascinating trainwreck keeps chugging along.  This past year, we watched Stewie get pregnant, Peter commit hate crimes, Stewie and Brian getting addicted to Adderall, and we can only blame you America for still watching modern day Family Guy.  Because Seth MacFarlane is begging you to stop watching by making the show as detestable as possible.  Moving on.

3. Rocket Monkeys (Teletoon)

So I watched this out of morbid curiosity at my lake house over the summer and man.  I don’t know what Teletoon was thinking when making this shit.  If they wanted to make a Canadian Fan Boy and Chum Chum, they certainly succeeded.  While I don’t know Teletoon’s distinct library off the top of my head, it would be damn near impossible to top this as the worst thing I’ve ever seen by this production company.  And yes, that even includes Johnny Test.  I’m serious.  It’s that BAD.  But when it comes down to it, I can’t really make a compelling case that it’s worse than the other two programs I have listed.

2. Teen Titans Go (Cartoon Network)

I BADLY wanted to place this on the top of my list and for nearly 85-90% of the year, it was on top.  Everything about this show pisses me off to the point that I have already posted my thoughts in rant format.  Twice.  There is absolutely nothing redeemable about this spin-off, therefore I’m not going to spend my time beating a dead horse.

….but wait you may be wondering.  What could be worst then the unceremoniously dubbed worst thing ever?  Well as atrociously awful as I find Teen Titans Go, it wasn’t the biggest waste of time I watched this year.

1. Pickle and Peanut (Disney)

To express the amounts of horrible that I witnessed watching this show is an experience that I really can’t even begin to explain.  Nickelodeon failing in animation isn’t surprising.  Cartoon Network failing doesn’t surprise me either since it wasn’t too long ago when they were the absolute worst.  Disney, on the other hand, has never really failed this badly because they are the animated industry standards.  Which is why watching them screw up in animated programming is such a rarity these days.  Sure they have had cartoons I’ve not been fond of in the past like Fish Hooks (ironic since their creator behind this atrocity), but even then, it’s been nearly a decade since I’ve seen Disney fuck up at this level.

Where do I begin?  The animation is terrible.  Photoshopped images can be funny when utilized properly, but having your two stars be photoshopped is absolutely lazy animation.  Even then, all the cutaways to live action sequences are awful.  Every single one of them.  At least make the joke funny to have a point because it’s just stupid to do it to begin with.  The execution is sloppy.  It’s like Disney wanted this to badly be like Regular Show, but completely missing the mark somehow ended up making this an even poorer man’s Breadwinners.  The characters are irredeemable.  They have no straight man to play off of with their obnoxious stupidity.  The plots…I get that we are supposed to watch inanimate objects interact in daily society, but were the creators high when coming up with ideas like Pickle having a zit on his ass that comes to life?  Or having Pickle receive a small tribal creature life forms be delivered in the mail to him?  Or the two nitwits getting addicted to body spray?   It’s like they drew these plots out of a hat and hoped they’d stick.

But what I think irks me most about this is just the humor.  Disney trying to do gross out humor isn’t even gross.  It’s just sad.  Every single instance where I am supposed to either be disgusted or outraged just boils down to me wondering what the hell they were thinking every time.  And when they aren’t attempting to not gross you out with not gross out humor, they try to go the We Bare Bears route and make fun of modern society with buzz words being whispered in the background, having Pickle twerk…can’t unsee…., taking selfies, beat boxing, hashtagging….this is the kind of shit that makes you sit back and think of Disney as the embarrassing mom trying to modernize with today’s fads and making themselves out to be a complete ass in the process.  And that’s what I think pisses me off the most about this show.  Disney doesn’t need a cartoon like Pickle and Peanut to keep up in today’s climate.  As I stated earlier, Disney is the flagship studio when it comes to animation.  They are the high standards that everyone looks up to and tries to achieve.  Not just in animated movies mind you, they have strong animated television programs too obviously with how big of a following Gravity Falls has, how big a following Star is starting to grow, how many people made Phineas and Ferb relevant for eight years.  Just seeing the studio make a cartoon like Pickle and Peanut is just unbelievable because they don’t need a cartoon like this to show they can survive in today’s animation landscape.

So while other shows can make compelling arguments for being the worst program I sat through in 2015, none of them were a complete of a waste of my time than Pickle and Peanut.

Sorry that took so long to repost.  The Best Shows of 2015 will definitely come next before we head to Music and Movies.

• Like 9

And now here's my thoughts on the list: take 2 :funny:

Really good list and interesting choices. I can't talk too much about live-action shows on the list cuz I've just started to watch more live-action and I'm not gonna bother to watch those shows on your list. What I see from those shows is that they are either overstayed their welcome or bad comedies.

I can't say much about Pickle and Peanut cuz I've only seen two episodes (they aren't bad tbh, Greg episode was mediocre at best and grandma episode was a guilty pleasure of mine) but I can see why people hate the show. Now I have a respect for Noah Z. Jones cuz I love Fish Hooks but this show looks really cheap, stupid and uninspiring. Now I know some of you are annoyed by P&P fad on SBM but I personally don't mind it and I find it to be a bit funny. I think they like the show as a so bad so funny show but even if so, it's their opinion on the show and I'm sure the fad will be gone soon cuz fads on SBM don't last long.

Agreements:

Teen Titans Go - Even tho, I think the hatrid is getting old and I like a few episodes, I still don't like this show at all. It's really childish, annoying and meta humor is so forced and insulting. I can take one episode about critism but The Return of Slade wss the last straw and not the mention, they made another episode about that and I'm not gonna bother to see. I'm just gonna see TTG as a troll and walk away.

Rocket Monkeys - I've seen enough episodes to judge this show and it's garbage, really garbage. The worst part of this show is the monkeys, they are such idiotic, oblivious and jerk characters that we are supposed to root for. They ruined a person's life and turned into a villain without feeling sorry or even knowing about it. The humor is just monkeys doing monkey stuff and it's so uncreative. Not the mention the panned episode, There's No Business Like Monkry Business, which I witness it's hatrid slowly on Deviantart. It's just so one of the most cruelest episodes in any cartoon. 

The Simpsons - I know I said I disagreed with this choice before the topic was deleted but now I agree. My thoughts are still same, I still love The Simpsons and they can make some gems once a year (Bart's New Friend, The Princess Guide, Halloween of Terror) but even as a person who likes modern Simpsons admit that this year was just a ratings trap and when it's not, it's not good. Kang and Kudos' first own episode was wasted potential, the THOH this year was disappointing and break up episode was so terrible. I'm so disapointed with seadon 26, I haven't even checked most of season 27 that aired so far. I really want this show to end on a high note before it's beoming bad for me.

Disagreement:

Family Guy - I only disagree with this show's place. Compared to last year, it was a bit improvement. Don't get me wrong, it's still bland but even bad episodes are no match for last year's Fresh Heir, Herpe the Love Sore and Brian the Closer. Stewie's Pregnant was bad but I was expecting it to be Stimpy's Pregnant kind of level and thank god, it wasn't. Quagmire's Mom and Roasted Guy are offensive episodes with terrible morals but they made me laugh a few times. Rest of this year was either mediocre or boring. Surpringly tho, I loved Adderall episode and I thought it was one of the funniest of this year. I can see why this show is on your list but it's a bit high IMO.

Pig Goat Banana Cricket - I actually enjoyed watching this show. Well, it's not that good, humor is so bad for modt part and characters are so unoriginal but I think the show is pretty energetic and fast-paced and I really dug the animation. It's not even comparable to Harvey Beaks but the show is fun enough.

My pretty much thoughts on the list. God, this took me so long to write it :funny:

Can't wait for best list and I'll get my best TV list ready after this busy week.

Edited by Jolly WhoBob
  • Like 4

Going to try to retype what I originally posted here to the best of my memory and resources...

Yeah, I am also tired of ranting about Teen Titans Go, especially knowing the creators' stance on it. They have no intention of working to improve it, so whatever. As for Pickle and Peanut...

tumblr_mbhk4c7yE31rx39io.jpg\

Yeah, like with TTG, I am just waiting for it to be over.

• Like 1

I'm going to get started right now with my countdowns. Now, I'm not actually going to start off with the best animated products of 2015, because I'm not technically ready to do that yet, but hopefully I can compile my complete list for that by January. I have some free time on my hands, and I'm using that time to countdown to some of my most loved and most hated hit singles from 2015. Isn't that too early, some of you guys may ask? I have set up both of my lists and have listened to all the songs from the year-end list (most of which I listened to before the year-end list was published), so I'm very much ready to make my judgments. Obviously, I'm starting out my top 10 worst. And obviously, again, before I start with the top, here are my....

Dishonorable Mentions:

Spoiler

Renegades / X Ambassadors

More like Zzz Ambassadors amirite? With all seriousness, X Ambassadors came out with one of the least interesting alternative songs of the year. "Renegades" doesn't really live up to its title as one of its few substances is its popularity from a car commercial. Other than that, it has a really charming official music video and has that strange production work near the end, so I can say that there is some charm. Afterwards, there isn't any other substance for me to express, the song itself falls pretty flat and gets tiring to listen to pretty quickly. Lastly, it's a nitpick, but one other flaw I'd like to point out is this confusing analogy at the last part of this stanza:

All hail the underdogs
All hail the new kids
All hail the outlaws
Spielbergs and Kubricks

What's the use of the "Spielbergs and Kubricks" metaphor that they're trying to point out? That they're hailing other people that have Spielberg and Kubrick in their name? Are they hailing people who aspire to be influential filmmakers like the two filmmakers they mentioned?

El Perdon (Forgiveness) / Nicky Jam & Enrique Iglesias

As I already pointed out, this is a song that broke a record for the Year-End charts in general. Not only is this the lowest peaking song that made any list to date, but this is our first non-Top 40 Year-End hit. This is quite an accomplishment.

Otherwise, I can't really say that this song interests me in the slightest. Either it be the original or English verison, my thoughts are the same. The first thing that comes to mind is the desperate tone that makes the song come of as sappy and melodramatic at times. The genericness I find in some of the translated lyrics is also a given (i.e. - Girl I'm not with you, you're not with me / I know they say you're moving on, but I'm begging you please don't go)  Production-wise, it's not all too bad, but considering the song's nature, it gives off a bittersweet taste.

House Party / Sam Hunt

You guys remember Sam Hunt, right? The guy I have a Top 10 spot to last year for "Leave the Night On?" (Before I revoked it for "Drunk on a Plane") Yep, he's on my naughty list this year, as well as next year if we continue to give "Break Up in a Small Town" (which IMO is his absolute worst single to date) anymore attention to give it a spot on 2016's Year-End list. This song is one way to prove that each new single he's released is worse than the last. "House Party" is a bland country party song that could only be defined as "party," 'cuz this feels strongly like a pop song and barely like a country song. Half of the song's production is all there is to it to prove that it's country.

Kick the Dust Up / Luke Bryan

And there's more country where that came from. In the fewest possible words, this is a cookie-cutter bro-country single that proves that Luke's party songs aren't getting any better.....and they aren't getting any worse either.

Flex (Ooh Ooh Ooh) / Rich Homie Quan

For starters, Quan's mouth-full-of-marbles voice is one reason for me to not be able to tolerate this song as much. Second of all, the rapper comes off as really pretentious on how rich he is. Despite its clear flaws, it gets saved from my Bottom 10 because I'll admit that this song is also really darn catchy when it comes to the melody and production.

I'm Not the Only One / Sam Smith

I can't even bother to describe how boring and meaningless this is! While Sam Smith would still show some of his charm in his voice, I barely have any patience with this typical love ballad compared to his other hit songs. So indeed, this was very close to the bottom.

What Do You Mean? / Justin Bieber

Justin Bieber's back and he went into a new direction. This also means we're at the stage where most people have stopped writing off Bieber like every other song of his is like "Baby." Come "What Do You Mean?" and firstly, I ask, does this pass up as anything good? Well...definitely not. My biggest criticism is that is lacks substance. Other than that, there's also Bieber's breathy vocals, which makes things sound more drab. Justin Bieber does try to conjure some emotions, so it's not too bad.

Earned It / The Weeknd

I can actually consider myself a fan of The Weeknd. I've been getting into most of his songs, but there are some exceptions. "Earned It," is one of them, and it's a song made for the Fifty Shades of Grey soundtrack. As far as I've discussed The Weeknd, this is my worst from him ATM, also one of the closest to my Bottom 10. Aside from being pretty boring, the crooning in the chorus shows the lack of delivery for me and the obnoxiousness. The Weeknd struggles to control his voice and have it resonate in some way, which adds up to the lack of delivery.

Animals / Maroon 5

I absolutely despised this song then, and I still despise this song as of now. It gets saved because I don't want some redundancy in my list, and there was one even worse Maroon 5 song that came out this year. ("This Summer's Gonna Hurt")

Ayo / Chris Brown & Tyga

Any year during this decade is big for the singer Chris Brown. It is included and not limited to his many collaborations and one of his biggest contributions is creating an album with rapper Tyga. My hate relationship with Tyga could mean that this is a great contender for my Bottom 10. Hence being on the dishonorable mentions list, that's not the case, since my list is obviously intended to be unbiased. It's still very awful, though. Being a typical anthem about getting laid and having some of Tyga's painful rhymes/boasts....:

Now I can spot your bitch from a mile away

Valentine in that pussy, it's a holiday/

Car smell like ammonia, we got that stank on us/

We in the hood, tatted like a Mexican

....are what make the song a good enough contender as one of my worst. It's bouncy production, however, gives it a bit of a pass. So, this is my unofficial #11 right here.

With all those dishonorable mentions carried out, it's time for the big one:

Steel's Top 10 Worst Hit Songs of 2015

Spoiler

The best way to start is with one song that has little to no personality.

10. Worth It / Fifth Harmony featuring Kid Ink

And speaking of personality, is there remotely anything interesting to say about the band in this song....or Kid Ink? You heard right when I said Kid Ink is able to stick around after the atrociousness that was "Show Me." Trying to go through the lyrics, I can see that these girls try to show how they're "worth it," but it leaves off nothing as much to say....

I may talk a lot of stuff
Guaranteed, I can back it up

With what?

Come harder just because
I don't like it, like it too soft
I like it a little rough
Not too much, but maybe just enough

In other words, they want hard, but they don't like it soft, they like it a 'little' rough, but not too much, and 'maybe just enough.' Yeah, talk about confusing details. Kid Ink stlll contributes to this song too, but I can assure you that his contributions are easy to forget after a few hours. Don't even get me started with the saxophone. It sounds so watered down and flavorless that it just doesn't really add up. It is just grating and also really gets tiring to listen to.

Uh huh, show me what you got
'Cause I don't wanna waste my time

You sure are wasting my time though, because this song isn't worth any of it. BA DUM CRASH.

Spoiler

When it comes to becoming a resident bad boy in pop music, it doesn't lead to a good start sometimes. This is a prime example right here....

9. Jealous / Nick Jonas

This is Nick Jonas, of the now-split-up Jonas Brothers. In his newest endeavor in making music, Nick Jonas released "Jealous," (which is technically his second single) and boy it's a mess. Where I'd begin to sum up my thoughts is through this one line:

It's my right to be hellish
I still get jealous

So in other words, it's his right to be possessive and a douchebag. In fact, the possessive part is more of a given factor of how this song has its flaws. In one of the verses, It's clear that Nick Jonas admits being obsessed. And that lyric above is not the only thing that exemplifies how Nick Jonas takes his nature to a new level:

'Cause you're too sexy, beautiful
And everybody wants to taste
That's why
I still get jealous

Because he think she's too 'sexy, beautiful' to keep herself from sticking around. Yes, how clever of you to say. Now, if there's any reason why I have this as #9, I think...it aged a bit well. After a while, Nick Jonas shows that he some charm in him, with his collaboration with Sage the Gemini and with his most recent release, "Levels." I can also judge the production work as why this is only #9. It's pretty funky, and it has some punchy guitar lines. Nick Jonas, however, the traits he shows still rubs me the wrong way, ugh.

Spoiler

Let's talk about Vine. Vine has made quite an impact for pop music. Whatever song became popular from Vine (most preferably due to a dance craze) was made popular by Billboard standards through high amounts of sales and streaming. This got annoying because we got a little too much of these type of novelty hip hop/rap songs. Most of these songs made popular from Vine I do not have as a candidate for the worst, because I ask for myself and for the rest of you guys, is it really worth it to put "Nasty Freestyle," "CoCo," and "Hit the Quan" on my Bottom 10 or anywhere near it? (Speaking of CoCo, I have more to say once I get to my Top 10. What will that mean? You'll see....) But that doesn't mean there aren't some Vine-popular songs worth mentioning....

8. Tuesday / iLoveMakonnen featuring Drake

That's because one of them isn't really considered a novelty, and is one of the most uninteresting. Still considering that this got popular due to Vine feels perplexing to me. My biggest problem with "Tuesday" is that this is the song that I have the least patience listening to. This song just sounds so uninspired from the dreariness in iLoveMakonnen's voice to the subject of this being a club song. Not even Drake could prevent me from thinking of how I find this to be boring and drab.

Spoiler

When it comes to beloved dead celebrities, who doesn't honor them? It's good fortune to honor the lives these people lived. When it comes to making a song expressing one's sadness of their death and making a tribute to it, it can be a good thing or a bad thing. It can be riveting for some, and it can also be defined as schmaltzy, sappy, for some. Then you got this type of tribute song, which seems to pay half of its respect a man named Paul Walker:

7. See You Again / Wiz Khalifa featuring Charlie Puth

I remember ranting about this song a few times, and I still stand by opinion of this being one of the worst. Let me be clear of one thing first, I have not seen any of the Fast and the Furious movies, so I have a lot more judgment on this song itself and the subject matter. This song was made for Paul Walker's memory. In most parts, the song does wrong in what other tribute songs have done right. The biggest problem I find in this song is how Wiz Khalifa handles his contributions to this song. He's clearly not even saddened by the death of Paul Walker and just basically rapping about things from the movie: family, cars, and friendship. Then you got what made the song as popular: Charlie Puth doing as the song suggests by paying tribute and expressing sadness in Paul's death. Even if Charlie happens to be the only person showing some sincerity, he doesn't provide enough in order to make the song from looking and sounding any worse. Charlie wears thin on me the moment when he starts the crooning part after the chorus, as it pretty much zigzags the tone of the song a little more. The crooning in particular gives off a sound of empowerment and just leaves off a bad taste. And in the end, being a sappy ballad, we all ate it up. And when awards season picks up, the shows will eat this up. With all those reasons I've provided, it speaks to me that we've given this so much attention for the wrong reasons, which I've already expressed. This is the type of tribute song that feels like a "death sells" approach half of the time. "Candle in the Wind 1997," "I'll Be Missing You," "One Sweet Day," these sappy, award bait ballads work well enough for me, because as popular they were, each were for the purpose of expressing the singer's/rapper's emotions of a loved one, dead or alive as faithful as possible, while "See You Again" feels like half of a tribute song rather than a complete one, as it intends to be.

Spoiler

I'll admit, after tackling "See You Again" a few times, I figure it wouldn't be so bad compared to any other song I've set up for my Bottom 10 once I started lining things up. This is a good enough decision to put this song right below it, because this artist pulls a move that's a lot less sly:

6. Bitch Better Have My Money / Rihanna

This song....it just never stops. Almost all the way through, Rihanna shows how pretentious and obnoxious she can be. On top of that, this was a big step down from "FourFiveSeconds," whereas Rihanna showed how remarkable she was in after rather a long while. First off, Rihanna goes into a big tangent on the subject matter who Rihanna, as you guessed it, hopes she has all that the money she owed. Aside from that, it's also a list of complaints towards the unnamed person. If you'd think it doesn't get as obnoxious, the strategy Rihanna uses for her vocals is the most painful. The way she goes from off-key to on-key and so forth, it adds absolutely no charm, and it's to the point to where I want to stop hearing the sound of her voice. At the climax though, she brings some flavor by distorting her voice in the chorus, not that it really helps in the slightest. I don't know what else to expect from "Anti," but all I'd ask for is less songs like this.

Spoiler

5. No Type / Rae Sremmurd

Rae Sremmurd, the duo that's the closest thing to a clone of Kris Kross. According to me, they're a very obnoxious and talentless duo that have broke out into popularity since 2014. According to the critics, they love them to death. It's not a bad thing though, I realize these two guys have their fans outside of the music journalists too. It's just interesting to see how polarizing of a group Rae Sremmurd is. I'm not saying they're the worst, though. When they turn up with an interesting sound ("This Could Be Us," I can say, I've hated the least compared to the rest of their singles), Rae Sremmurd isn't too bad. This isn't the case for me and "No Type," which comes off as a waste of time for me. For their highest peaking single to date. I'd start by saying how pretty grating these guys sound themselves. Though, I mostly despise this because it's not fun, the production feels uninspiring, and let's think about this line for a moment....

I ain't got no type
Bad bitches is the only thing that I like

All I can say is that's quite a contradiction right there.

Spoiler

4. Fight Song / Rachel Platten

You know, I'm certain this song feels like it could've been written by anyone. With that said, my biggest problem with this is that it feels recycled af.

If you've heard "Fight Song," then I can assure that you've also heard any other popular female empowerment song from this decade. "Stronger," (Kelly Clarkson) "Brave," (Sara Bareilles), "Roar," (Katy Perry), and perhaps also "Human," (Christina Perri) you name it. Heck, I don't think Rachel Platten even seems to bring anything new to the table or introduce some bits of her own personality. Then you also this part of the chorus, which is one of the most awkward lines I've heard:

This is my fight song
Take back my life song
Prove I'm alright song

But after having to deal with this song, does this mean Rachel Platten lacks any potential? No she doesn't. After she released "Stand By You," I can very much say that she has it in her and has proved her potential there while "FIght Song" failed to do so, which is strongly why the latter falls hard on my Bottom 10.

Spoiler

Now that it's come down to the Bottom 3, I'm going to start that off with one of the most controversial singles to reach the year-end list:

3. Dear Future Husband / Meghan Trainor

For what I can say about my relationship with Meghan Trainor's music, I think she's at her worst when she goes over her head with her thoughts and her quirky personality. It's why "All About That Bass" didn't age very well for me. Before reviewing this song, I'll admit, giving off my reasons for putting it this high isn't so easy considering how other music critics have already torn it apart spectacularly (this little shout-out goes to out to you, Claps). Going back to what I've said about Meghan Trainor earlier, "Dear Future Husband" is a prime example of Meghan Trainor's needs to spread awareness of her own perceptions backfiring. In a nutshell, Meghan Trainor presents her message by describing qualities she needs in a man, which acts as list of demands and is presented in an egotistical manner, expecting whatever she'll find in a perfect husband with a perfect marriage and all. These lyrics just exemplify how outrageous Meghan expresses her message and her viewpoints:

You gotta know how to treat me like a lady
Even when I'm acting crazy/

Even if I was wrong
You know I'm never wrong
Why disagree?/

Make time for me
Don't leave me lonely
And know we'll never see your family more than mine

It's all about her. She matters more than you do. That's how I can very much describe what the song is like, and so it's very bothersome for me! I'll have to admit, if there was anything about the song that saves it from being any lower, it's the hooky, doo-wop production. Still, it gets overshadowed by the song's usual content.

Spoiler

If you guys were expecting Silento to be #1....I hate to give away too much, but he's #2.

2. Watch Me (Whip / Nae Nae) / Silento

I think it's necessary that I describe my hatred for this song with fewer words. This is a popular Vine song that fits perfectly into any Bottom 10. "Watch Me" seems nothing more like the successor to Soulja Boy and it just gets worse when you have to heard Silento's screechy voice, hear Silento drop the names of various other dance crazes, then compiling it all in the song as if this is his own dance craze, and hear Silento demand us "Watch me!" in a vein where it's like a cry for attention! It is beyond awful, there's levels to how horrendous it is! But why is it #2? Why is the most annoying song in the world at #2? Not only is the song so awful to be the perfect candidate as my #1, but it's also just too awful to even be my #1! Additionally, I can see this being the #1 worst song of the year on any other list made by any other music critic. This song stops right here because I'd like my #1 worst to be more special than that, and it's a matter of fact that I have myself an even better candidate as my absolute worst.

Spoiler

Whoever has made my #1 worst song of 2015, it's got to be someone other than Silento. After all, it's just one song (and we all hope it's just one song). I do know of this certain artist who has had quite a friendship with another well-known singer from this year. Maybe a personal trainor? Ha, I crack myself up. But seriously, my lips are movin' because I'm gritting my teeth based on my choice. And the title of that person is none other than Charlie Puth!

1. Marvin Gaye / Charlie Puth featuring Meghan Trainor

Many months ago, flashing back to "See You Again," I've been introduced to Charlie Puth. Along the way, he's been putting out some other songs/collaborations and they each have one thing in common. "See You Again," "One Call Away," "Instagram Models (Nothing But Trouble)," even "Suffer" which hasn't been released as a single as of yet, I despise all these songs! That's not even limited to this mess that I haven't even started talking about yet.

Meghan Trainor is also invovled with this too, but....I don't have a lot to say about her except that I'll admit that I've found some good in her. "Like I'm Gonna Lose You" easily gets pass due to John Legend being involved, "Better When I'm Dancing" is pretty good IMO. Now back to Charlie Puth....as far as I've heard from him, I honestly haven't found a liking for any of his songs yet. "Marvin Gaye" serves as the epitome to my hatred of this guy's music.

I hate to bring Silento into this discussion, but for a guy who makes a dance craze out of other dance crazes, it's feels more like Silento is making a tribute to these famous fads. Charlie Puth takes the name of Marvin Gaye and turns his notoriety into some of the most embarrassing and frustrating pick-up lines I've ever heard:

Let's Marvin Gaye and get it on
You got the healing that I want

It doesn't end there....

I'm in trouble
But I'd love to be in trouble with you/

I'm screaming mercy, mercy please

Celebrity metaphors/analogies, they are essentially one of my worst cliches in pop music, because most end up as bad as the above. Charlie Puth here compares Marvin Gaye songs to his need for sexual pleasure. I shouldn't even call these metaphors, they're more like incredibly lame puns.

Then there's the production, oh man....the production. it's a fancy little touch of doo-wop sounds. But the other way around, it's a sample of "Stand By Me" by none other than Ben E. King! Why does this matter to me? At one point, it gets merged with one of DJ Mustard's production tropes (Guys shouting "hey!"), and it is just unpleasant!

So what this means to me now is Charlie Puth took whatever we loved about 60s/70s soul and doo-wop and modernizes it in some of the worst ways possible. You know, this shouldn't be called doo-wop, it's more like....pseudoo-wop. It doesn't even help that writing and production credit goes over to Puth.

Once again, I'm going back over to Meghan Trainor, and all i can really say is that she doesn't really help and just makes thinks worse by how she shares her voice with Puth, turning it into a bit of a screechfest. But hey, she only takes credit of being a featured singer, so I can't be too harsh on her.

It is by my standards to say that song has absolutely no charm. My eyes are focused on Charlie Puth for most of the problems I've had with this song ranging from the production to the lyrics. Not only has he made my most hated hit song of the year, but at this rate, I'm also not going to expect great things to come out of this guy in the near future, at all.

And this closes my Bottom 10 Hit Songs of the year. I'll get around to posting my Top 10 once my finals week is done.

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 2

So after much hard work, my best shows list is up and at 'em.  I'll have to admit that television was great this year.  Even making the cuts for my honorable mentions was hard and if it wasn't for the fact that I got really tired of writing, I would have posted a ton more.  But I know I have to start working on another format of media real soon, so I had to cut my honorable mentions a tad short.  So without further ado,

Honorable Mentions:

Gravity Falls (Disney)

Yeah I think this is the first year where I won’t have Gravity Falls in my Top 10.  Not saying that it’s bad.  The few episodes that I’ve seen this year were pretty great.  That was the problem: “the few”.  I have not been that good at keeping up with everything that I’ve missed from Season 2.  So I can’t really save a spot in my Top 10 for a show that I’ve only watched three to four new episodes of in 2015.  Don’t be surprised to see Gravity Falls return to the Top 10 next year though because I definitely plan to finish the rest of the series so I can be all caught up with everything going down at The Mystery Shack.

American Dad (TBS)

It’s easy to tell which show gets Seth MacFarlane’s full effort these days and I have to say.  The move to TBS has surprisingly provided a breath of fresh air to this series as they can get away with far more jokes.  Kind of an unpopular opinion based off my understanding, but I think it’s time for due to diligence for me to give this show the respect it deserves.

The Last Man on Earth (Fox)

If there is any show I’m going to regret acknowledging at all on this list, it is probably going to be this one.  When it wants to be a good show, oh my god, it’s great.  Like everything that the critics say about it is absolutely true.  The first two episodes?  Fantastic.  Some of the best television viewing I’ve watched this year.  Will Forte and Kristen Schaal are without a doubt the highlights of this show.  Their chemistry is amazing and the show itself is right to make them the primary focus.  But then came the rest of the series.  Sure there are still times where the show can be pretty damn great and remind me as to why I loved the pilot, but more often than not, it just drives Forte’s character Phil “Tandy” Miller to unfathomable levels of frustration.  Call it character development (who says our hero had to be likeable?) but I just can’t stand at him.  Then they slowly introduce more and more one note characters to bounce off of Tandy and they make me can’t stand him nor like them either more.  Season 2 is slowly fixing all the problems I had with Season 1, but I have to give the show credit where it’s due.  When it’s good, it’s pretty damn great.

The Grinder (Fox)

By all accounts, this series could easily fade into irrelevance if it doesn’t find ways to keep the series fresh.  But I’ll worry about its future when this show stops being entertaining, because right now, this is my favorite new series of the fall.  Rob Lowe is still one of my favorite television actors and watching him steal every scene he is in as a former television lawyer character turned into actual lawyer is thoroughly entertaining.  Also, welcome back to relevancy Fred Savage.  I know he’s been doing a lot of behind the scene’s work as a director and producer, but watching him play the straight man to the insanity of Rob Lowe is perfect.

We Bare Bears (Cartoon Network)

….surprised to see this coming?  Well you shouldn’t be because while my love for this wasn’t as strong as it was in the summer when the series debuted, it’s still solid enough to keep CN’s recent hot streak going.  I love the voice cast.  I love all the jokes about modern culture (See Pickle and Peanut?  This is how you do it right.).  We’ll see how this ages, but for now, stop worrying about the future and appreciate the present.  Although if I hear one more Ice Bear line….come on.  Panda is so much better tbh.

The Flash (CW)

Best superhero show of 2015.

Jessica Jones (Netflix)

Yeah sorry, I still stand by the above post.  While this was still good and I am intrigued as to where it’s going to go from here after that finale, I don’t plan on watching this again any time soon.  Love Krysten Ritter though and she deserves more work.

Scream Queens (Fox)

I'm falling a bit behind right now and still need to watch like the last five episodes, but this is just another example of Ryan Murphy knowing how to make a damn good first season of a series.  Even if it falls apart from the Season 1 finale onward, its still got a damn good cast working for it that I'm willing to forgive it's shortcomings that are bound to happen because Ryan Murphy will probably give all his effort into making American Crime Story work next year. :P

The Ridonculous Race (Cartoon Network)

Consider this my close number 11.  Yeah I know that has becoming a recurring line when it comes to my year end countdowns that it’s become tradition, but I can’t emphasize enough how close I was to placing this on my list.  But the competition was supremely tough this year.  When it comes down to it, this was by far the best installment of the Total Drama series in five years.  I enjoyed so much about this.  I loved the new characters.  I loved the new twists and turns that were added.  I love the nostalgic characters.  Heck I was able to tolerate Owen far more this year than I did in the past.  But when it boils down to it, and I get that it’s a spin-off, the new host Don is missing A TON of personality.  He’s Chris 2.0 without the comedy.  They tried to make him funny and yeah he got a couple of chuckles out of me.  But he’s not Chris.  When it all boils down to it, Don doesn’t have nearly enough personality to stand on his own…yet.  Maybe if they do another season of this, they can make Don not a Chris carbon copy and give him some more character?  But if you were pretty much make Don a lighter version of Chris, why not stick with the original? 

CLAPPY'S TOP 10 SHOWS OF 2015

So when I started this list, I will openly admit that last year I broke my own rules when it came to ranking my favorite shows.  Last year, I placed Breaking Bad in my Top 10 because I binge watched the entire series on Netflix.  Hayden pointed it out and I said I made an exception since it ended in 2013.  No more exceptions for me.  If it came out this year with new material, I’m placing it on my list.  Now with that out of the way, let’s talk about that Breaking Bad spin-off.

10. Better Call Saul (AMC)

While I’m judging this show on its own merits and maybe placing this on my list over other choices may seem slightly impartial due to my adoration for the original, this spin-off is working pretty damn well.  They couldn’t have chosen a better spin-off character because unlike other recent failed spin-offs, it’s not about the comedic relief.  Yeah Saul had some good lines in the original show, but I felt there was far more to his character that I would have loved to dive into.  So far I feel this show has backed up my original thoughts and I have complete faith that this series will continue to be as great as it’s been.

9. The Walking Dead (AMC)

You guys are probably use to me having this much higher on the countdown.  And rightfully so for the previous two years of this show because that’s when The Walking Dead really found its niche.  Well this past year was a mixed bag.  I still absolutely love this show, but man Season 5B was an absolutely confusing one.  Sure it had some new character introductions, a new location, and new enemies…but it was executed in probably the most boring fashion possible.  Like the show was progressing…yet not fully committing to said progression if that makes sense.  Thankfully, 6A picked up and became the show that I grew to love because the series found itself again.  It was able to build upon the new location in Alexandria, develop some of the new characters introduced even more so, bring back a beloved pilot character and show how he’s adapting to the new world, and slowly building up the big bad new threat (can’t wait for Negan).  Also, might I add, the “is he or isn’t he dead” suspense in regards to Glenn was smart.  It made people talk about the show more so than I’ve seen in nearly three years.  Perfect. 

8. New Girl (Fox)

I’m pretty sure it’s safe to say Season 4 was by far the best one for New Girl.  It went back to the basics as to why I fell in love with the show and focused primarily on the cast chemistry.  Out of all the shows on this list, this series is definitely the second best when it comes to that aspect.  For the record, I have no idea how much the series will miss Damon Wayans Jr. as he leaves the main cast and he gets replaced with Megan Fox, but as long as the writing stays this sharp and doesn’t go off focus and forget about why we fell in love with the characters like it did in late Season 2- early Season 3, I think it’s safe to say New Girl will always be in contention for my best list.

7. Girl Meets World (Disney)

I definitely feel like this season has been an improvement over Season 1, which just goes to show how much I really am enjoying what they are doing with this series.  Sure it’s not perfect and yeah I’m getting absolutely sick of this love triangle, but I’m seeing character depth to Farkle that I’m really starting to like more and more, I’m seeing actual development to Lucas, I’m seeing Rowan Blanchard grow as an actress.  There was just so much to like about this show this year that I am willing to forgive the series for it’s shortcomings.  Also the more callbacks to Boy Meets World, one of my favorite shows of all time, the more I’ll be happy.  But slowly but surely, Girl Meets World is emerging from the shadow of it's predecessor to be able to have the ability to stand on it's own alone.  Which even if it got a higher rank on my list last year, earns far more respect for me this year just because of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsABTmT1_M0

Yeah you all know this is coming later on in this countdown, but I’ll be honest.  As much as I’m going to gush about Parks and Recreation soon, Aziz Ansari had a much better showcase of his talents on this list.

6. Master of None (Netflix)

Maybe I should just let my friends tell me what to watch because they didn’t fail me.  So I know most of you know this by now, but Aziz was a standup comedian before he became a role character on Parks and Rec.  Which is why Tom was probably one of my lower level choices of my main cast favorites.  It’s because while Tom was fine, I know Aziz has far better comedic talents than this.  They are put on full display here.  Watching this is kind of like watching one of his standup comedy specials.  Seeing Dev go on and on with the rest of his cast over real world issues and the life and struggles of an aspiring actor in his 30s going through a crossroad of his life brings us some of the funniest instances I can recall in recent memory.  If I can just make one slight suggestion for this to make a higher ranking on next year’s list if Season 2 comes….less of Eric from Tim and Eric’s Awesome Show.  His character got kind of irritating the more I saw of him.  The less time spent on him, the better his character was.

5. Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Fox)

Always the bridesmaid to New Girl when it came to being my favorite show on Fox, but now it’s supplanted it as my favorite.  Everything about this show is great.  This cast list is another example of when you have a perfectly well rounded cast bouncing off each other to great comedic chemistry.  Andy Samberg is great.  Terry Crews is great.  Andre Braugher is great.  Chelsea Peretti deserves way more work when this is all said and done.  I could go on and on about how legitimately hilarious this cast is, but let’s talk about why you people aren’t watching it.  It’s moving to a new time in 2016 on Tuesday nights as a part of Fox’s new comedy block.  I get trying to avoid this on Sundays because of The Simpsons and Family Guy, but there is no excuse now.  Watch this show or die.  If you don’t at least fall for the shipping of Jake and Amy, then I don’t know who you people are.

4. South Park (Comedy Central)

So once again, South Park dives into the world of continuity.  This time into it with a recurring pattern.  The world of PC culture.  Because of that, it brought us probably one of the best seasons in recent memory.  Sure that’s coming from the guy who put South Park on the top of my list last year, but that season really has not aged all that well and it would not be on top if I redid that list again.  The one thing this season did better than last is being able to line up all that episodes together to make a cohesive finale that resolves everything this season.  However, the finale did not impress me enough as it still felt unresolved.  Maybe due to it still going on in Season 20 with the presidential election and still so many aspects of PC culture that the series can touch upon?  I don’t know.  It just did not make a good enough impression to have it higher.  Plus I wish they touched upon gun culture even more so because that aspect of the finale left me wanting more since the material was gold.

3. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix)

I expect only two of you to not really be surprised by this ranking so high.  To the others, watch this Netflix original immediately.  Tina Fey has done it again.  I was never really able to fully commit to 30 Rock for some reason.  It was funny yeah, but I usually get tired of the show within a show plot line unless someone does something really good with it.  30 Rock just didn’t have that for me.  This on the other hand, it had me from the moment terminoob asked me about it in my ask thread.  The plot was too out there for me to not give a shot and as soon as I tried it, I binge watched the entire series.  It’s just way too good to even describe.  Sure you can make the argument as to why OITNB or House of Cards may better quality, but at the end of the day, my favorite genre will always be comedy and this is just a wonderful comedy that I can’t wait to watch Season 2 of.  THIS SHOW IS ALIVE DAMMIT.

2. Survivor (CBS)

You know.  31 seasons in and this series keeps on surprising.  These past few years have provided some of the best seasons in the show’s history.  Both 30 and 31 were positive seasons in their own rights.  30 was pretty good.  It had a great winner and a really solid cast, despite some questionable personalities that made me wonder why they were even casted to begin with.  But this show goes up and beyond the mark for Season 31.  So many people who are playing to win, too many unpredictable boots.  And just no real true alliance dominating this game this season.  Usually it’s easy to pick who the winner will be each season, but there are three players as of this moment who all can make a legitimate claim to being declared the winner.  If it wasn’t for this season, this show would be maybe 6 on my year end list.  But it’s this one golden season that is making me push it this high and say that it’s one of the best seasons of the entire series.  I know a lot of people won’t get why I have it this high, but for those of you who do, you’ll have to agree with me about how fantastic this season is….you’ll get it.

So remember what I said about how I won’t let binge watching affect my overall opinion about ranking a show on its current material in 2015, no exceptions? …..yeah I lied.  I have binge watched one series from start to finish this year, and I think you all know what it has to be by now.  Ladies and gentleman….TREAT YO SELF to my number one pick.

1. Parks and Recreation (NBC)

What took me so long to give this show a legitimate chance is a regret that I can’t even legitimately give a real reason for.  This show is exceptional from start to finish…yeah I said it.  Even the first season where it felt like an Office carbon copy, the sparks were there for something even more special that the show hasn’t even discovered yet.  Season 2 started to notice it and it slowly built itself up to fully explode into being one of the best comedies I’ve ever seen in Season 3 onward.  I know I’ve went on and on about cast chemistry and how important it is in previous postings, but to me…this is the perfect cast.  They have unbelievable amounts of chemistry with each other that there is no true best character (although Ron Swanson might make the case on my behalf).  Everyone just works off of each other so well that they are all the best character.  Which is why it hurt to see Ann and Chris go in Season 6.  That untouchable aura slightly cracked a bit when they promoted Donna and Jerry/Gerry/Larry/Terry to main cast, but still even then, it didn’t lose its identity.

I can sit here all day and explain how much I love this show, but I’ll go ahead and abide to my own rules with the new material in 2015.  Season 7 ended perfectly.  Even with a much shortened season, it stayed true to itself even with all the time jumping.  Leslie and Ron wasn’t just one of the best episodes of the show, it was one of the best things I watched on any form of media in 2015.  One Last Ride is one of the best finales of any show period.    Watching these characters grow over the course of seven years....or one year in my case, was an absolute joy and the fact that it got constantly overlooked at the Emmys is just an absolute travesty.  Long live in my heart of hearts Parks and Recreation.  Hope you guys enjoyed reading my best list.

*one view later*

ron-swanson-computer-throw-out-parks-and

• Like 8

I disagree with your opinion on the new Nostalgia Critic. I still find him funny, but in that "So awkward you have no choice to laugh" kinda way.

And I disagree with you on PGBC for basically the same reasons that the Jolly Doctor said.

• Like 2

I loved the list and agree with your choices. I wish you would see more Gravity Falls this year because this year was just incredible. As for rest, here's my opinion.

Jessica Jones - I think I liked this one more than you. I absolutely loved the characters, story arcs and dark shit that happened in the show. The season finale was weak but rest of the show was impresive to me. Now I need to see Daredevil as well before making my own top 10.

American Dad - I personally feel like TBS season is getting not respect from some fans but I thought this year was pretty great. I'm still sad that Mike Barker left the series but with Brian Boyle as showrunner, I have a faith that AD will continue to be strong.

Ridonculous Race - Agree that the spinn off was pretty amazing. I thought Don was a decent host. Don is a very fair and he cares for contestants. He may be not really funny buy I liked him as a host overall and he's doedn't get on my nerves, unlike Chris, especially on a great season, Pahkitew Island.

We Bare Bears - Ice Bear is better :funny: 

South Park - Agree that this season is much better than season 18 but I really like season 18 as well. Most of episodes are really funny and I thought season finale was pretty good (even tho you disagree)

That's all I can say. I'm planning to watch Broklynn Nine Nine, The Last Man on Earth, Better Call Saul and Parks and Recreation someday because I've heard a lot great stuff from those shows.

I'm also almost done with my top 10 best tv shows list, I just need to catch up on a few more shows. Again, really great list.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Santa Christ said:

I disagree with your opinion on the new Nostalgia Critic. I still find him funny, but in that "So awkward you have no choice to laugh" kinda way.

And I disagree with you on PGBC for basically the same reasons that the Jolly Doctor said.

Absolutely welcome other opinions because that's what this thread is for. :)

New Nostalgia Critic's problem is that Doug just isn't funny to me anymore.  He's lost his passion for making the show and he clearly just does it for ratings because Channel Awesome suffered badly for those nearly six months without the character.  I can see why you would think he's so awkward that you can't help but laugh, but his writing for the show use to be clever.  Now it's just Doug putting on the jacket, tie, and hat and not knowing how to convey his criticisms anymore.  His Matrix review is a prime example of that.  I get that he doesn't like it, but he didn't even bother trying to give valid reasons why he hated the movie.  He just nitpicked and focused on his prolonged skit instead of providing valid reasons to his nitpicks to backup why he didn't like the movie.

Then...ugh to nearly all of his live action reenactments.  I feel bad that he keeps suffering from copyright infringement.  That does suck.  But what's the difference between his Jurassic World review and his Sibling Rivalry with Rob (more Rob Walker please btw)?  Virtually nothing except the prolonged skit.  His Hocus Pocus review was just an atrocity all around and is by far the worst review I've seen ever.  I get exactly what he was going for with all the cliches for 90s family films but it was just awfully executed in nearly every way imaginable.  I would have much rather see an actual review of the movie even if it would have been taken down due to copyright infringement because that prolonged skit was unbearable in every way possible.

Honestly the best Nostalgia Critic this year was when he guest spotted on Cinema Snob for that Passion of the Christ crossover.  Maybe it had a lot to do with Brad Jones doing a majority of the writing, but even that sketch in that  episode was hilarious with the crucifixion of Santa Christ.  More of that please.  Maybe Doug should back off and let Rob Walker do most of the writing?  Idk.  I don't care anymore about the series.  That Hocus Pocus review probably finished me off of the series for good.  Because it would have to take probably the best review since the series was revived for me to give NC a chance again.