• Advertisement

Best and Worst of Entertainment 2015: Take 2

Clappy

4 minutes ago, Happy Festivus said:

Absolutely welcome other opinions because that's what this thread is for. :)

New Nostalgia Critic's problem is that Doug just isn't funny to me anymore.  He's lost his passion for making the show and he clearly just does it for ratings because Channel Awesome suffered badly for those nearly six months without the character.  I can see why you would think he's so awkward that you can't help but laugh, but his writing for the show use to be clever.  Now it's just Doug putting on the jacket, tie, and hat and not knowing how to convey his criticisms anymore.  His Matrix review is a prime example of that.  I get that he doesn't like it, but he didn't even bother trying to give valid reasons why he hated the movie.  He just nitpicked and focused on his prolonged skit instead of providing valid reasons to his nitpicks to backup why he didn't like the movie.

Then...ugh to nearly all of his live action reenactments.  I feel bad that he keeps suffering from copyright infringement.  That does suck.  But what's the difference between his Jurassic World review and his Sibling Rivalry with Rob (more Rob Walker please btw)?  Virtually nothing except the prolonged skit.  His Hocus Pocus review was just an atrocity all around and is by far the worst review I've seen ever.  I get exactly what he was going for with all the cliches for 90s family films but it was just awfully executed in nearly every way imaginable.  I would have much rather see an actual review of the movie even if it would have been taken down due to copyright infringement because that prolonged skit was unbearable in every way possible.

Honestly the best Nostalgia Critic this year was when he guest spotted on Cinema Snob for that Passion of the Christ crossover.  Maybe it had a lot to do with Brad Jones doing a majority of the writing, but even that sketch in that  episode was hilarious with the crucifixion of Santa Christ.  More of that please.  Maybe Doug should back off and let Rob Walker do most of the writing?  Idk.  I don't care anymore about the series.  That Hocus Pocus review probably finished me off of the series for good.  Because it would have to take probably the best review since the series was revived for me to give NC a chance again.

I haven't seen many of his reviews but I really liked his Mad Max Fury Road and Pixels reviews. I agree that skits becoming reviews are distracting but they are so cheesy so amusing type of skits. I think his best videos are the ones that aren't reviews like his top 11s or when he analize some pet peeves such as his video about offensive jokes. He can be a bit irritating and nit-picky at times, which kind of makes me stay away from videos like Matrix review.

Sorry for the list being short, I have a weird memory and I didn't know pay that much to TV this year. Also, I copies and pasted this from Google Docs. Hence why it is so big.

Spoiler

My top 5 WORST TV shows of 2015

Dishonorable Mentions:

NASCAR on NBC: OK, I'm barely putting this on the Dishonorable Mentions list because this is their first year. I mean they’re better than NASCAR on ESPN because we don't have bullshit preemptions, but, it’s boring. I mean, I like Rick Allen but, the other guys just don't do it for me.

Doctor Who (Series 9): Yeah, sorry WhoBob, this series/season just didn't do it for me. I just found it just, dull.

And boring.

And kinda repetitive.

In fact, it was so bad that I still haven't seen the whole season. Hence why it isn't on the list.

Alright now that that’s over, Lets get to the list!

#5: Wabbit: Oh god, I hate people. This is more of a step back for Looney Tunes after one of the best shows using the Looney Tunes name. The Looney Tunes Show was a very, very, good show and could’ve had the potential for 3 or 4 seasons. However, people who say “OH THE LOONAY TUNEZ SHOUL ALWAYZ HAVE SLAPZTICK” got it cut short. Basically it’s bland, uninspired slapstick that’s trying to emulate the old Looney Tunes. And Failing.

#4 Regular Show: There are people who say that Regular Show is getting back to it’s old groove. I disagree, It’s trying to have a “Heartwarming” feeling to it. On a more down-to-earth show like, Spongebob, or Hey Arnold!, than it could work. On a “No rules”, meta, acid trip Regular Show, not so much. Yeah. I don't want to see a creative show be reduced to a Hallmark Special. Frankly because Cartoon Network won't let it end! However, when they do end I hope to see a St. Elsewhere (where it was revealed that it was the imagination of some kid) or Angry Beavers (where the characters find out they are fiction) like finale.

#3 Total Drama: The Ridonculous Race: God I feel dumb saying that, anyway. It’s Total Drama. Need I say more? (The characters are bland and uninspired, it feels like it from 2008, and the only thing saving this show is that it isn't cringy and the fact that I like some of the character designs)

#2 Disney XD’s gaming shows: “LOL WE HAVE SPLATTOON AND WII U LOL” STOP BRAGGING I AM NOT RICH OMF SHUT UP SHUT UP SHU-

BBCHD_testcard_big.jpg

*clears throat* I apologize for that outburst. But yeah, these are bad. Like “Trying to latch on to the latest fad” Bad. It’s just “LOL WE'RE GAMERZ LOL PWNED” It’s so bad I'm surprised it’s not from Nickelodeon. Speaking of which…

#1 Game Shakers: Dan Schinder, why are you still with Nickelodeon? This show, is a mess. One big mess. The characters are rehashed, the plots are dull, and the humor is just, non-existent. There was only one thing good in the show and that’s the cameo by ProJared (He made a video talking about the behind the scenes video which got taken down). But, Yeah, this is my pick for the worst show of the year.

Edited by Santa Christ
Too Big

I personally disagree with Doctor Who :Pbut I'll explain when I'm done with top 10. I haven't seen Regular Show in a while but from what I've seen, season 7 has been an improvement over season 5-6. It's no season 1-4 quality but the plots are interesting and it's better-written than most of season 5-6. As for Ridonculous Race, it's not perfect but I really loved most of characters and story arcs.

10 hours ago, Happy Festivus said:

The Flash (CW)

Best superhero show of 2015

Glad to see you finally came around to this. First season was ridiculous, second season gets even ridiculous-er. It's really refreshing to see a show do campy and cheesy and over-the-top but do it so unapologetically genuine.

2 hours ago, terminoob said:

Glad to see you finally came around to this. First season was ridiculous, second season gets even ridiculous-er. It's really refreshing to see a show do campy and cheesy and over-the-top but do it so unapologetically genuine.

I can't wait for Season 2.  All my fear, doubt, and suspicion after watching the first six episodes went away immediately throughout the rest of the season with it's throwback to genuine superhero shows without over-complicating matters.  It's honestly a much better show than the likes of Gotham, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Jessica Jones, etc.  

1 hour ago, Happy Festivus said:

I can't wait for Season 2.  All my fear, doubt, and suspicion after watching the first six episodes went away immediately throughout the rest of the season with it's throwback to genuine superhero shows without over-complicating matters.  It's honestly a much better show than the likes of Gotham, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Jessica Jones, etc.  

As a heads-up, a good deal of the first half of season 2 is mostly set-up for the Legends of Tomorrow spin-off. I think it's still fine and they do a lot of cool things, but a lot of people think it's not as good as the first season because they had to do a lot of stuff that bogged down the main storyline but I think everything was intertwined fine enough and it was a lot less annoying that it was on Arrow.

7 hours ago, Santa Christ said:

Sorry for the list being short, I have a weird memory and I didn't know pay that much to TV this year. Also, I copies and pasted this from Google Docs. Hence why it is so big.

Reveal hidden contents

My top 5 WORST TV shows of 2015

Dishonorable Mentions:

NASCAR on NBC: OK, I'm barely putting this on the Dishonorable Mentions list because this is their first year. I mean they’re better than NASCAR on ESPN because we don't have bullshit preemptions, but, it’s boring. I mean, I like Rick Allen but, the other guys just don't do it for me.

Doctor Who (Series 9): Yeah, sorry WhoBob, this series/season just didn't do it for me. I just found it just, dull.

And boring.

And kinda repetitive.

In fact, it was so bad that I still haven't seen the whole season. Hence why it isn't on the list.

Alright now that that’s over, Lets get to the list!

#5: Wabbit: Oh god, I hate people. This is more of a step back for Looney Tunes after one of the best shows using the Looney Tunes name. The Looney Tunes Show was a very, very, good show and could’ve had the potential for 3 or 4 seasons. However, people who say “OH THE LOONAY TUNEZ SHOUL ALWAYZ HAVE SLAPZTICK” got it cut short. Basically it’s bland, uninspired slapstick that’s trying to emulate the old Looney Tunes. And Failing.

#4 Regular Show: There are people who say that Regular Show is getting back to it’s old groove. I disagree, It’s trying to have a “Heartwarming” feeling to it. On a more down-to-earth show like, Spongebob, or Hey Arnold!, than it could work. On a “No rules”, meta, acid trip Regular Show, not so much. Yeah. I don't want to see a creative show be reduced to a Hallmark Special. Frankly because Cartoon Network won't let it end! However, when they do end I hope to see a St. Elsewhere (where it was revealed that it was the imagination of some kid) or Angry Beavers (where the characters find out they are fiction) like finale.

#3 Total Drama: The Ridonculous Race: God I feel dumb saying that, anyway. It’s Total Drama. Need I say more? (The characters are bland and uninspired, it feels like it from 2008, and the only thing saving this show is that it isn't cringy and the fact that I like some of the character designs)

#2 Disney XD’s gaming shows: “LOL WE HAVE SPLATTOON AND WII U LOL” STOP BRAGGING I AM NOT RICH OMF SHUT UP SHUT UP SHU-

BBCHD_testcard_big.jpg

*clears throat* I apologize for that outburst. But yeah, these are bad. Like “Trying to latch on to the latest fad” Bad. It’s just “LOL WE'RE GAMERZ LOL PWNED” It’s so bad I'm surprised it’s not from Nickelodeon. Speaking of which…

#1 Game Shakers: Dan Schinder, why are you still with Nickelodeon? This show, is a mess. One big mess. The characters are rehashed, the plots are dull, and the humor is just, non-existent. There was only one thing good in the show and that’s the cameo by ProJared (He made a video talking about the behind the scenes video which got taken down). But, Yeah, this is my pick for the worst show of the year.

Putting Doctor Who on there is ballsy, because this was generally the most well-received series since series 5. Any particular reason you found it repetitive? I thought the two-parters were done really well and were pretty vastly different from one another and gave each story time to breath, instead of rushing everything to fit it into 45 minutes. I also think Capaldi  and Jenna Coleman both consistently delivered phenomenal performances and I thought Clara getting a little bit too comfortable in the role of being a companion was a really well-done arc that had a pretty decent conclusion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, terminoob said:

Putting Doctor Who on there is ballsy, because this was generally the most well-received series since series 5. Any particular reason you found it repetitive? I thought the two-parters were done really well and were pretty vastly different from one another and gave each story time to breath, instead of rushing everything to fit it into 45 minutes. I also think Capaldi  and Jenna Coleman both consistently delivered phenomenal performances and I thought Clara getting a little bit too comfortable in the role of being a companion was a really well-done arc that had a pretty decent conclusion.

Agree with you. I probably couldn't find a better Clara's send off, it was just powerful.

Hello. I'm the SpongeBob Communist. I'm a little nervous to doing these lists because I didn't watch a lot of new shows in 2015. Which is why I'm not going to be doing a Top 10.

Instead, I will do a Top 5 for my least favorite shows and my favorite shows. Also, if you're wondering why the majority of this list is cartoons, I don't watch a lot of current live-action shows and even if I did, I can't even think of any live-action shows awful enough.

Without further ado, let's get started with my Bottom 5. Or in this case, my Naughty List.

Like I said, there weren’t a lot of shows crappy enough to make my Bottom 5, so this next choice may piss a lot of you guys off. If you have any complaints, please file them to Mom’s Friendly Robot Company.

#5. Wabbit

Coming from a guy who actually liked The Looney Tunes Show, I thought this was a step down from that show. It's not really bad, but it's so underwhelming. The only supporting characters in this show are Squeaks the Squirrel and Bigfoot. And the only antagonists in this show are Wile E. Coyote and Yosemite Sam. There's also the Tasmanian Dev--I mean, "Theodore Tasmanian", who is now an accountant. Nothing in this show is remotely interesting. I like how they introduce new villains, but I kinda wish that they would show more of the old ones. Notably Daffy and Elmer.

#4. Teen Titans Go

Alright, I was a bit afraid to put this on my countdown before due to the overhate it was getting, but you know what? I do not give a fuck. I never hated it because it was nothing like the original show. That’s why I like both Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated and The Looney Tunes Show, come fight me. But yeah, when it came to this year’s episodes, it feels like they’re trying to focus on pissing off more of the haters than just shaking them off just like Taylor Swift and just focusing on writing a comedy spin-off. That’s why we got episodes such as Let’s Get Serious, Truth Justice and What, The Return of Slade, The Fourth Wall, and more. My least favorite is probably The Hive Five. It’s just like they watched some pretty infamous episodes of SpongeBob and Teen Titanized them. Bottom line: The Titans ruin The Hive Five’s day off for no reason except that they’re bad guys and the Teen Titans are heroes. But the only thing I hate more than the episodes is the treatment that Cartoon Network gives to this show. I believe like 3 months ago, they played Courage the Cowardly Dog and Shaun the Sheep for a while. Guess which show replaced the time slots? Not only that, but they’re naming the New Thursdays block “New Titans Thursday”. It’s like they’re trying to make Teen Titans Go their equivalent of Nickelodeon’s SpongeBob, which I don’t want to see happen anytime soon. The last thing I want to see is this show getting 9 seasons and a ton of reruns in the future.

#3. Supernoobs

The title of the show is Supernoobs.

THE TITLE OF YOUR DAMN SHOW IS SUPERNOOBS?! SERIOUSLY?! THAT IS THE WORST NAME FOR A SHOW EVER CONCEIVED! WHO EVEN USES AN OUTDATED INTERNET TERM FOR THEIR TITLE?! YOU DAMN, DIRTY, MOTHER--

Fred Rechid is in a fit of rage right now. Please stand by as we try to calm him down.

Alright, I'm okay now. But yeah, fuck this show so much. This show was created by Scott Fellows and produced for Teletoon by DHX Media (formerly Cookie Jar). Seeing as how they were the same production company who took over Fellows' other cartoon, Johnny Test, I had no hopes for this show at all. Scott Fellows and Teletoon are a deadly combination and if you see any shows like this, avoid them like the plague. Okay, aside from the title and creators, this show is still pretty bad. The synopsis is "Four middle school students and friends from the town of Cornbury who unexpectedly find themselves gifted with alien orbs known as Battle Balls that grant them amazing powers. However, when the Supernoobs aren't fighting the virus, they tend to use their powers irresponsibly and/or end up losing their Battle Balls which lead them into crazy disasters." Cool plot, but the execution is pretty lame and the characters are really bland. Also, the episode titles have nothing but the word "noob" in them. A Noob Hope, Go Noob Outside, Noob Kids on the Block, Shake Your Noobie, and much more. It's sort of like how Johnny Test and Ed Edd n Eddy name their titles. The only difference is that Ed Edd n Eddy are less annoying and more creative with their titles, but maybe that's because those episodes titles don't involve the word "noob". Don't even bother with this show.

#2. Family Guy

I really don't like the direction this show has taken now. Before, it was only a show that didn't really rely on shock humor or black comedy so much. Nowadays, it's just a show that relies on dark humor and shock humor. And no, none of it's funny. The notable bad episodes I've seen in this year are Roasted Guy, Once Bitten, A Shot in the Dark, and the worst episode of 2015 Family Guy ever. Stewie is Enceinte.

I’m not going to show a picture from the episode though so a lot of you can keep your sanity, but Stewie gets impregnated with Brian’s DNA which results in freaks of nature--I mean, baby-dog hybrids. Again, not going to show a picture of what they look like because I don’t want you to experience it, but they look awful.

Why isn’t Family Guy at #1, you ask? This is why.

#1. Pickle and Peanut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRlKrlB0Pq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhe3vSe-mmw

My thoughts exactly, Krusty. I don’t really watch much of Disney XD besides Gravity Falls. The main reason being I can’t even get the damn channel on my TV, but this show happened to catch my eye when I saw it on YouTube. I said this a thousand times before, but this feels like a show that was supposed to go to Nickelodeon, but missed the bus and went to Disney XD instead. It really is the Breadwinners of the entire network and I can see why. No, you know what? Even Breadwinners is better than this show. No matter how bad Breadwinners may be, they at least put in some effort in that show. Hell, Noah Z. Jones’ other shows have more effort compared to this. Yes, even Almost Naked fucking Animals. This show feels like a school project that you procrastinated on and put together at the last minute. For the main character designs, they just took two pictures of a pickle and a peanut and they pasted faces on them. The theme song sounds suspiciously like “Technologic” by Daft Punk and the lyrics sound like a shopping list instead of an actual song. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if the real theme song was switched around with a shopping list. Don’t even get me started on the plots. The first episode is literally about a butt pimple named “Greg”. And trust me, the series gets even worse as the show goes on. This isn’t just the bottom of the barrel for Disney XD. This is the bottom of the bottom of the barrel.

If you lose all respect for me for some of the choices on my list, I totally understand. There were slim pickings for bad shows since I didn't really watch any bad live-action shows nor did I watch a lot of bad web shows (unless TheDoubleAgent counts which in that case, that guy is my #2 choice :troll:). Don't worry. I promise you that my Top 5 will make up for this.

• Like 3

I personally agreed with some choices in this list, although I'm disappointed that Steven Universe isn't in it (I was excepting #1 best show, but that's just me).

I'd like to do some certain lists (such as best/worst episodes), but I don't think I have time to write it, so I'll list my best and worst:

Best TV show that debut this year: We Bare Bears (Cartoon Network)
I do not watch live-action shows and I'm planning to take a break on them (I still watch the live action movies), so this will mainly be animated stuffs. Well, anyway, WBB is probably the best TV show to come out this year (sorry, Harvey Beaks). It had likable characters, decent facial expressions/animation, great plots, etc. The art style need some work, though, as CN has an annoying habit of reusing Adventure Time/Regular Show's (now) tiring artstyle. But I'm used to it though. My personal favorites are Burrito, The Road, and Pet Shop. I think my least favorite is Cupcake Job. I thought the bears were very incompetent in that episode when they worked at the cupcake factory. However, I still kinda like it (I'll give it an Okay score at best).

Best TV show of the year: Steven Universe (also Cartoon Network)
If I were to choose the better show (this or Gravity Falls), it would be SU. Why? Well, while Gravity Falls did had some really awesome episodes, I think Steven Universe's best episodes were a tad more badass than GF's. This year gave quite a bit of amazing episodes like Alone Together, Say Uncle, Keeping it Together, Child Tile (if that the right title), Catch and Release, and especially The Return/Jail Break. I think the weakest episode of the year was Shirt Club, and that was still enjoyable, just kinda boring.

Honorable mentions:
Harvey Beaks: It would be the best if it weren't some flaws, like half of the episodes where Harvey does something wrong and must fix it or trying to not do something bad (ex: Harvey's First Scar, Recipe for Disaster, King of Pranks), the pacing in the beginning, the writing/humor being all over the place. I hope season 2 can develop Harvey's character a little more fleshed out. My favorite episode (so far) is Nightclub Night. Dade was hilarious in that one. My least favorite was The Ghost Problem. Not bad, but Fee was annoying in that one and she was being mean to the ghost log (his name escapes me). It was nice for him to turn her to a ghost, because that was punishment.

SpongeBob SquarePants: Both the movie and the show. The second movie was as great as the first one. The animation had been getting better because of that. Ever since post-sequel era started, the biggest improvement was the art and animation direction. A lot of fans noticed this. You can see that the facial expressions and animation are a lot more spirited in season 9.2 because one certain artist had been posting his drawings and almost all of them exaggerated faces. I also think the characters had improved somewhat, although I think they need tone down Squidward and Krabs a bit and use more Patrick and Sandy.

Wabbit: Sorry, Santa Christ, but I kinda like this one. Yes, it's too reliant on slapstick, but that's why I watch cartoons for that. Not every single modern cartoon had to be story-driven. Also the animation is a hoot to watch. It feels like so 90s with the stretchy movements. I had to admit, the lacking of other Looney Tunes characters is a bit of disappointment.

Worst TV show of the year (as well as debuting this year): Pickle and Peanut (Disney Channel)
More like... (insert censored word since I don't want to say it) I just can't stand this abomination. I mean, I'm glad I let Teen Titans Go off the hook in this one because while that show is poor, it is a masterpiece compare to this godawful show. Where to start? The characters are annoying and bland, the stories are lame as hell, the concept is another Regular Show (Sigh) ripoff. Speaking of RS, while the later seasons had lackluster animation and art-style (seasons 4-present), this show made Regular Show's (as well as Family Guy and The Simpsons) boring current art and animation style a lot better because this is just pure laziness. Seriously, who designed the characters? Probably no one, since it's Photoshopped. I'm used to seeing Giant Realistic Tiger from Uncle Grandpa like this since she doesn't appear too often. Same with Breadwinners, although that one is mainly used for the non-recurring characters (basically all the ducks). I watched this one a while back and boy I was right. It was doomed to suck. Avoid this abomination, at all costs, because I think I lost my brain cells when I saw it.

Dishonorable Mentions:

Hmm, I don't hate anything, so maybe Teen Titans Go will be the dishonorable mention of worst TV show of the year. I mean, that show gave us my least favorite episode of all time (in TTG): The Return of Slade.

Middle of the road (shows that I'm kinda neutral on):
Sonic Boom (Cartoon Network): Folks, if I'm gonna be honest, I have a bit of mixed feelings with this Sonic show. It had some great episodes like Eggheads, the Meteor, and Next Top Villain, but at the same time, it gave me some stinkers like Buster, Don't Judge Me, and Late Fee. The humor is SO hit-or-miss. One minute I can be laughing my ass out, but the next minute, I could be groaning if a particular joke falls flat. I also think it's formulaic. Most episodes seem to start with what matters the most (the plot), but near the end, Eggman will usually bring robots and Sonic and his friends must battle him. Despite that, Eggman is still a funny character. The main heroes themselves, however, seem to change their personality depending on which episode. I am not a fan of this show's portrayal of Sonic, Tails, and Amy. Knuckles is fine with me and Sticks however gets on my nerves.

Regular Show (Cartoon Network): I'm gonna have to agree to Santa Christ's comment as well. I don't hate this show now, I'm just personally tired of it. Although this year did brought us Brilliant Duck Crisis and the TV movie, which were awesome. I think the writing here improved after season 6 finale, but it's still a disappointment. The best season 7 episodes so far were The Parkie Awards, The Lunch Club, and Hello China.  They all felt like old episodes. Sorry fans, The Dome Experiment wasn't in it, because it wasn't anything special and that ending frustrated me.

Be Cool, Scooby-Doo (Cartoon Network): I'm very neutral to this new Scooby Doo show. There's some moments that were funny, but at the same time, it feels rather cheesy. I honestly am not a fan of Velma's not VA (too sassy for her). Also, it is me, or does Shaggy gets on my nerves by saying "like" like every single sentence? The writing here is almost below the same level of Sonic Boom. I will only watch this when there's nothing to do.

Pig Goat Banana Cricket (Nickelodeon): I can understand why people hate this cartoon, but I kinda like it. It's not without its problems. Its pacing can be disjointed at times and too quick as well. Banana is kinda a jerk. The ending can be very predictable since all plots usually come together. But the reason I don't hate this show is because the animation is energetic and fun to look at.

I'll do music next...

27 minutes ago, FAS said:

I personally agreed with some choices in this list, although I'm disappointed that Steven Universe isn't in it (I was excepting #1 best show, but that's just me).

I'd like to do some certain lists (such as best/worst episodes), but I don't think I have time to write it, so I'll list my best and worst:

Best TV show that debut this year: We Bare Bears (Cartoon Network)
I do not watch live-action shows and I'm planning to take a break on them (I still watch the live action movies), so this will mainly be animated stuffs. Well, anyway, WBB is probably the best TV show to come out this year (sorry, Harvey Beaks). It had likable characters, decent facial expressions/animation, great plots, etc. The art style need some work, though, as CN has an annoying habit of reusing Adventure Time/Regular Show's (now) tiring artstyle. But I'm used to it though. My personal favorites are Burrito, The Road, and Pet Shop. I think my least favorite is Cupcake Job. I thought the bears were very incompetent in that episode when they worked at the cupcake factory. However, I still kinda like it (I'll give it an Okay score at best).

Best TV show of the year: Steven Universe (also Cartoon Network)
If I were to choose the better show (this or Gravity Falls), it would be SU. Why? Well, while Gravity Falls did had some really awesome episodes, I think Steven Universe's best episodes were a tad more badass than GF's. This year gave quite a bit of amazing episodes like Alone Together, Say Uncle, Keeping it Together, Child Tile (if that the right title), Catch and Release, and especially The Return/Jail Break. I think the weakest episode of the year was Shirt Club, and that was still enjoyable, just kinda boring.

Honorable mentions:
Harvey Beaks: It would be the best if it weren't some flaws, like half of the episodes where Harvey does something wrong and must fix it or trying to not do something bad (ex: Harvey's First Scar, Recipe for Disaster, King of Pranks), the pacing in the beginning, the writing/humor being all over the place. I hope season 2 can develop Harvey's character a little more fleshed out. My favorite episode (so far) is Nightclub Night. Dade was hilarious in that one. My least favorite was The Ghost Problem. Not bad, but Fee was annoying in that one and she was being mean to the ghost log (his name escapes me). It was nice for him to turn her to a ghost, because that was punishment.

SpongeBob SquarePants: Both the movie and the show. The second movie was as great as the first one. The animation had been getting better because of that. Ever since post-sequel era started, the biggest improvement was the art and animation direction. A lot of fans noticed this. You can see that the facial expressions and animation are a lot more spirited in season 9.2 because one certain artist had been posting his drawings and almost all of them exaggerated faces. I also think the characters had improved somewhat, although I think they need tone down Squidward and Krabs a bit and use more Patrick and Sandy.

Wabbit: Sorry, Santa Christ, but I kinda like this one. Yes, it's too reliant on slapstick, but that's why I watch cartoons for that. Not every single modern cartoon had to be story-driven. Also the animation is a hoot to watch. It feels like so 90s with the stretchy movements. I had to admit, the lacking of other Looney Tunes characters is a bit of disappointment.

Worst TV show of the year (as well as debuting this year): Pickle and Peanut (Disney Channel)
More like... (insert censored word since I don't want to say it) I just can't stand this abomination. I mean, I'm glad I let Teen Titans Go off the hook in this one because while that show is poor, it is a masterpiece compare to this godawful show. Where to start? The characters are annoying and bland, the stories are lame as hell, the concept is another Regular Show (Sigh) ripoff. Speaking of RS, while the later seasons had lackluster animation and art-style (seasons 4-present), this show made Regular Show's (as well as Family Guy and The Simpsons) boring current art and animation style a lot better because this is just pure laziness. Seriously, who designed the characters? Probably no one, since it's Photoshopped. I'm used to seeing Giant Realistic Tiger from Uncle Grandpa like this since she doesn't appear too often. Same with Breadwinners, although that one is mainly used for the non-recurring characters (basically all the ducks). I watched this one a while back and boy I was right. It was doomed to suck. Avoid this abomination, at all costs, because I think I lost my brain cells when I saw it.

Dishonorable Mentions:

Hmm, I don't hate anything, so maybe Teen Titans Go will be the dishonorable mention of worst TV show of the year. I mean, that show gave us my least favorite episode of all time (in TTG): The Return of Slade.

Middle of the road (shows that I'm kinda neutral on):
Sonic Boom (Cartoon Network): Folks, if I'm gonna be honest, I have a bit of mixed feelings with this Sonic show. It had some great episodes like Eggheads, the Meteor, and Next Top Villain, but at the same time, it gave me some stinkers like Buster, Don't Judge Me, and Late Fee. The humor is SO hit-or-miss. One minute I can be laughing my ass out, but the next minute, I could be groaning if a particular joke falls flat. I also think it's formulaic. Most episodes seem to start with what matters the most (the plot), but near the end, Eggman will usually bring robots and Sonic and his friends must battle him. Despite that, Eggman is still a funny character. The main heroes themselves, however, seem to change their personality depending on which episode. I am not a fan of this show's portrayal of Sonic, Tails, and Amy. Knuckles is fine with me and Sticks however gets on my nerves.

Regular Show (Cartoon Network): I'm gonna have to agree to Santa Christ's comment as well. I don't hate this show now, I'm just personally tired of it. Although this year did brought us Brilliant Duck Crisis and the TV movie, which were awesome. I think the writing here improved after season 6 finale, but it's still a disappointment. The best season 7 episodes so far were The Parkie Awards, The Lunch Club, and Hello China.  They all felt like old episodes. Sorry fans, The Dome Experiment wasn't in it, because it wasn't anything special and that ending frustrated me.

Be Cool, Scooby-Doo (Cartoon Network): I'm very neutral to this new Scooby Doo show. There's some moments that were funny, but at the same time, it feels rather cheesy. I honestly am not a fan of Velma's not VA (too sassy for her). Also, it is me, or does Shaggy gets on my nerves by saying "like" like every single sentence? The writing here is almost below the same level of Sonic Boom. I will only watch this when there's nothing to do.

Pig Goat Banana Cricket (Nickelodeon): I can understand why people hate this cartoon, but I kinda like it. It's not without its problems. Its pacing can be disjointed at times and too quick as well. Banana is kinda a jerk. The ending can be very predictable since all plots usually come together. But the reason I don't hate this show is because the animation is energetic and fun to look at.

I'll do music next...

From what I remember, Clappy said he hasn't seen Steven Universe, that's why he didn't mention it.

Well, time to throw my hat into the ring with my own best of TV list. I was going to do a worst list, but I couldn't think of many shows that I disliked this year. This was a good year for television, even if I haven't been able to see a ton of shows. 

Kat's Top 10 Best TV Shows of 2015

Honorable mentions:

Master of None

I haven’t seen the first season in its entirety but I have enjoyed what I’ve seen so far. Aziz Ansari has a home run in his post-Parks Netflix comedy. It’s so smartly written and provides some great commentary on the world around us. One of my favorite episodes is Parents, for its look on the divide between immigrant parents and their first-generation, American-born children.

We Bare Bears

This show is sweet. It’s basically about how Grizz, Panda, and Ice Bear interact with the world of San Francisco around them. Not a high-concept show, but still entertaining. It’s nice how it can incorporate aspects of modern life and make humorous situations out of them without feeling completely dated. However, this show has presented shades of being more than simply a comedic cartoon about anthropomorphic bears. There’s pieces of continuity throughout the show, episodes that deal with the bears’ backstories, and many heartwarming moments. We Bear Bears makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside after watching it, like a delicious hot meal or a comfy blanket.

The Daily Show

Jon Stewart’s final episode was a riot, with great cameos, but also a tearjerker. When Trevor Noah took his seat, I wasn’t sure what to expect, but now I love him. He’s got a different style from Jon Stewart--not quite as bracing, and perhaps a bit goofier, but it adds to his charm. I’m also enjoying the new correspondents team. Along with the always great Jessica Williams, new additions like Roy Wood, Jr., and Desi Lydic are a joy to watch. In a year filled with many news events that rocked our world, I’m glad that The Daily Show could still be counted on to provide insight and jokes through it all.

10. Star vs. the Forces of Evil

Pilot episodes aren’t always the best. Their main job is to set up the characters and their world, after all. But SVTFOE had me hooked from the very first episode. This show is a lot of fun, whether it features Star and Marco dimension-hopping or getting into shenanigans in their city of Echo Creek, California. And the show even got better as it went on, developing a story arc as well as some emotional moments that really got me in the feels. I have no idea what season 2 of Star has in store but I’m happy to go along for the ride.

9. Haikyuu!!

What is Haikyuu!!, you may ask? It’s only one of the finest anime series I’ve seen recently. I don’t typically peruse the sports anime genre but I have watched and loved Friday Night Lights, so I’m no stranger to getting attached to a show focusing on a sports team. And y’all, Karasuno--the main focus on the anime, a team from Japan’s Miyagi Prefecture--is one of those underdog teams at the start. Other schools don’t really take them that seriously. But watching these players learn and change over the course of the first season and in the current second season is such a joy. I love learning bits and pieces of backstory for not just the Karasuno guys but of their opponents as well, fleshing them out as characters and making them more than just rivals. There have been times when volleyball matches in Haikyuu!! have actually had me on the edge of my seat as I followed the action. And the show is quite funny as well. Who knew that an anime about high school volleyball would put such a big smile on my face week after week?

8. Girl Meets World

In my mind, this is hands-down the best show Disney Channel currently has to offer. Many sitcoms on the channel over the years have annoyed me with their overly zany plots and stupid stereotypes, so Girl Meets World is like a breath of fresh air. This season has been especially excellent, touching on topics like death, religion, and politics in a surprisingly mature manner. The love triangle shenanigans are getting old, but in the end they haven’t detracted too much from the quality of this show.

7. Brooklyn Nine-Nine

B99 is SO funny you guys. I wish more people would watch it and see how great it was because it’s definitely my favorite show on FOX. The cast is pretty dang talented and each of the characters endears themselves to me in their own ways while also making me laugh. The development of Jake and Amy’s relationship this season is an added bonus. So like Clappy said, go watch this show now.

6. Veep

I feel like this season really brought its A-game. Julia Louis-Dreyfus’s Selina Meyer is such a bumbling politician already that putting her into--spoilers!--the role of president is bound to be a disaster for people in the Veep world but a wealth of comedic gold for us viewers at home. The one-liners are sharp and the political satire is still great, plus Hugh Laurie is a nice guest addition to the cast.

5. Steven Universe/Gravity Falls

I lumped these shows together because I wasn’t sure if I could put one over the other. Both of them did solid jobs with developing their characters and raising the stakes. Steven Universe might be quieter at times, but man does it pack a good emotional punch. And Gravity Falls, while remaining funny, has become more emotional as Dipper and Mabel deal with the inevitability of summer ending as well as plot twists that totally shake up their world. Kudos to Cartoon Network and Disney for keeping up the good work with my favorite cartoons of 2015.

4. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

This Netflix original comedy has a perfect recipe for success. It's from the brain of comedic genius Tina Fey and starring the hilarious Ellie Kemper and Jane Krakowski, plus other cast members such as Titus Burgess shine as well. Like Star, the show completely grabbed me by the first episode. Kimmy Schmidt is a comedy that is smart, zany, and strong as hell.

3. Parks and Recreation

Oh, Parks. Saying goodbye to Li’l Sebastian was already a bummer, but this year we had to finally bid the show itself adieu. Parks has always been one of my favorite comedies on TV, filled with a wonderfully quirky bunch of characters who I’ve had the pleasure of watching evolve over the seasons. This last season was pretty much everything a Parks fan could ask for, especially the finale. So long, and thanks for all the laughs.

2. Jane the Virgin

I started binge watching this show as soon as it was first added to Netflix in October and within a matter of days I had finished season 1 and had caught up with the season 2 episodes I missed. I’m not one to binge more than maybe two or three episodes at a time, so that’s pretty amazing. The premise--a woman gets pregnant via an accidental artificial insemination--had me wary at first, but once I heard the critical acclaim for this show and decided to give it a chance, I loved it. For one thing, the cast is refreshingly diverse; almost all the main characters are Latino/Latina. Secondly, it does borrow from telenovela conventions, but oftentimes takes those conventions and pokes fun at them. It’s got great family bonds, swoonworthy romance, a murder-mystery, and plenty of drama to keep me watching. Gina Rodriguez won a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy and once you watch this show, you'll see why it's so deserved. This show quickly climbed into a special place in my heart where other CW shows haven't quite been able to reach.

1. Mad Men

Anyone who kept up with my top 15 favorite TV shows list a few months ago should know that I love this show to pieces. The second half of Mad Men’s season 7 that aired this year is no exception. The storytelling and acting performances entranced me, culminating in a finale that I found hit the right notes and was a good sendoff for the characters. I know some people aren’t crazy about the show because they find it slow, since it's not exactly a plot-driven show, but damn do I love it. It’s like unwrapping a piece of chocolate and enjoying its rich, textured layers. I won’t say that I loved every episode, but there were moments in every episode that resonated with me. This is a season that dealt quite a bit with time, not only with the way the late 60s and early 70s affected the characters, but just how the semblance of time itself factors into the characters’ lives. Honestly, I could probably rewatch this season and write a whole essay about it. But I thank Mad Men for being the first live action show I truly fell in love with.

Edited by Santa Kenma
  • Like 2

Again, sorry about my previous list if it offends a lot of you guys who like a show in there. Like I said, there were slim pickings for bad shows this year. Now let’s get to the good part.

Top 5 TV Shows of 2015

But before I get to that, let me list off some shows that didn’t make either lists.

Honorable/Dishonorable Mentions

American Dad - Even though it’s not as great as the early seasons, it’s cool to see that this show is still going strong. I definitely like how they can get away with some jokes now that they’re on TBS instead of Fox.

Be Cool, Scooby-Doo - Originally #5 on my worst list, but was replaced with Wabbit since I find this show to be a little better than Wabbit.

Harvey Beaks - This show has been a breath of Nicktoons such as Breadwinners and Sanjay & Craig. It isn’t spectacular or anything, but I’m glad to see Nick airing something that doesn’t pander to little kids only. I just haven’t watched a lot of episodes to put it on my Top 5.

The Muppets - Mixed for me. It’s not really bad or anything, but it doesn’t know which show it wants to be. I was expecting it to be more of a family oriented show since it’s ABC and all. I do like The Office-esque setup of the show though.

Nick’s live-action shows - Pick your poison. Pretty much all of them are lame and generic. Even 100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd to Do Before High School, created by Scott Fellows who is usually the undisputed king of modern live-action Nick shows, fell flat. Even Kel Mitchell couldn’t save the mess that was Game Shakers.

Pig Goat Banana Cricket - Originally #3 on my worst list, but I replaced it with Supernoobs because fuck that show.

SpongeBob SquarePants - This show has been a mixed bag lately, even with Stephen and the rest of the old people back. On one hand, there are great episodes like The Sewers of Bikini Bottom and Tutor Sauce. On the other, we have major letdowns like Yeti Krabs and Sanctuary.

The Simpsons didn’t make this list either because this show is so fucking boring now. It does not deserve my attention at all. Now let’s get this Top 5 started.

#5. We Bare Bears

It’s great to see that Cartoon Network still has a pretty great reputation. Besides the constant TTG reruns, they’re still the best of the three networks (CN, Nick. Disney XD). This show furthers the fact that Cartoon Network can still make great original shows. It centers around three bears who usually get into very bizarre situations. Although there are some modern technology references here and there, this show does a great job with them and doesn’t shove them down our throats. As long as there are more shows like this, Cartoon Network’s future will be strong.

#4. Gravity Falls

AKA one of the few Disney XD shows I actually watch. Gravity Falls this year has been so fucking great. I’m not going to spoil anything in my entry because I really want you to see for yourself how great it is. It’s still pretty fucking amazing.

#3. South Park

And this is the point of the list where everything gets better. I may get a little flack for putting it above Gravity Falls, but I don’t care. This season was WAY better than the last season. The whole plotlines with Garrison running with Caitlyn Jenner and PC Principal were great. I liked how Jimmy was the star of the last few episodes of the season. Pretty cool to see him decipher what an ad is or isn’t. There were a few things I didn’t like about it though. Tweek X Craig was pretty boring and the season kinda had a disappointing ending, but other than those, it was pretty spot on. I do think that we’ll continue the Garrison/Jenner plotline next season, when the election happens.

#2. Silicon Valley

This is the only live-action show I bothered to put on the countdown. Most of them I haven’t watched or thought were mediocre, but this show is still the best. It was amazing last year and it’s still amazing this year. Definitely one of HBO’s best shows. Then again, this was the same show created by the director of Office Space and the creator of King of the Hill, so I knew what I was expecting from him. Season 2 was really top-notch and I can’t wait to see how this cliffhanger gets solved this spring. If you have HBO, watch it. If you don’t have HBO, get it and watch it. It is definitely one of the best HBO shows I’ve watched. Sorry to any Game of Thrones fans, but I’ve sort of lost interest in that show.

Why is Silicon Valley not at #1? This is why.

#1. Rick and Morty

It’s really hard to name a bad episode of this show and I can see why. Rick and Morty is really a very bizarre show, but it’s bizarre in a really hilarious way. The overall series is great. My personal favorite episodes out of the show are Rixty Minutes and M. Night Shyma-aliens. Season 1 was definitely better, but Season 2 was pretty awesome too. One of my definite favorites out of this season was Get Schwifty. Total Rickall and A Rickle in Time are pretty awesome too if you need any recommendations. And the ending to this season. God damn, it was deep. Too bad we’ll have to wait a long time for Season 3. It is definitely one of Adult Swim’s best shows and I recommend you give it a watch.

If that doesn’t convince you, I’ll mention a few things about this show. It was created by the voice of Lemongrab, co-created by the creator of Community, it is ranked #9 on IMDB’s Top TV Shows list, and even Alex fucking Hirsch of Gravity Falls fame guest starred in one of the episodes. I even know a few people who hate Adult Swim that like this show. It’s that good.

Looks like I’m done with 2015’s TV shows. Now time for me to look forward to what 2016 will put out for us.

• Like 3

Surprise entry (smirk) (hopefully it don't suck. I need to keep up with the times more :funny:)

Brady's Top 5 Shows of 2015 *Minor Spoilers*

Some honorable mentions first though:

- BoJack Horseman: Not quite as spot-on as the first season, but still worth the day I spent binging on it. Season 3 has a lot of questions to answer though, and this should be a make or break season for it's direction.

- Star vs The Forces of Evil: Truthfully, this show wasn't even on my radar until I got back to being active around here and seeing it was decently popular. I'm glad I did as it's a ridiculously silly, sweet and enjoyable adventure. Season 2 should be a lot of fun.

- Steven Universe: Just keeps going on upward, the reason I still tune into non-Adult Swim Cartoon Network anymore.

5. Master of None: Aziz Ansari is one, in my opinion, of the funniest dudes alive, whether he's Tom Haverford in Parks and Recreation or in one of his stand-up acts (this coming from someone who can't stand stand up acts! :funny: ...Ok I'm sorry...) I would easily argue that Aziz hasn't looked as natural in a role as he has in this show. Whether it's confronting the generational differences between him and his parents, the racism in modern America or the challenges of dating, every episode was a perfect mix of insightful, funny and even little saddening at parts. Definitely an enjoyable watch, and the next season should be high flyin' (if ya know what I mean (smirk) )

4. Rick and Morty: Another show I really didn't get the hype around before becoming active again, and yet again another regret I own up to. Every episode is entirely bizarre and off the wall odd, but with sprinkles of character development that keep making me curious where we'll finally end up at. I do believe the S2 finale is a little obvious/staged (do we really believe Rick will be imprisoned for more then a single episode? I personally say no.) and that's the main reason this is not 3 or 2. Still a great ride I'll tune in to next season.

3. Gravity Falls: After being one of the last people in the world to finally watch this to the phenomenon that is Gravity Falls, I totally see where everyone is coming from. The second season has gotten considerably darker at times in a pretty vast contrast to most of the first season, but it's remained remarkably consistent. Holding on tight for the end, like everyone else is I'm sure. 

2. Parks and Recreation: Final seasons/finales are very hard to judge. Some can be divisive (Season 9 of Roseanne) some can be universally acclaimed (Breaking Bad in some minds) and some need finales (The Simpsons) The Final season of Parks and Recreation falls as close to within the universally acclaimed category as one can get. Staying true to it's character from the previous seasons, it wrapped everything up quite nicely only the way this show could. Great ending to a great series.

1. South Park: I'll admit that in recent years I've fallen off the wagon with what I used to consider my all-time favorite show. I feel after the 200th episode debacle the show began a decline and I slowly tuned out, even as a few of you told me in XAT once that I was "dead wrong" about the show's direction.

Well you got me: I was dead wrong.

The show's improvement in the last 2 seasons is remarkable. I never thought continuity could work in SP, but somehow they made it work. The storylines of the season (PC Principal. Garrison/Jenner, etc) were mostly well written and the jokes were great. Not everything was fantastic admittedly (Tweek x Craig was very meh, along with a few other moments) But I'm giving it the edge for #1 because it restored my faith in the show after I'd almost completely moved on from it. I won't act like a homer and pretend that the show's got another run of GOAT, but I can at least feel comfortable watching and not thinking this show will become The Simpsons/Family Guy down the road.

Hopefully you all enjoyed that, may end up doing a top 5 worst if I got the time. We'll see.

• Like 6

Now it's time to reveal my Top 10 hits list for 2015. Because I need to express my thoughts on this year for pop music, let me just say that this was an improvement compared to last year, a very VAST improvement. Like every other year, 2014 did have some good hits, but in general, 2014 for pop music wasn't so interesting of a year. We can thank the last half of 2014 for most of these good songs cracking the 2015 year-end list, but it was still a year where a variety of singers/bands have teamed up to release some really good pop music, such as these honorable examples:

Honorable Mentions:

Spoiler

Heartbeat Song / Kelly Clarkson

Yeah, I have a spot for this one. Being a fan of Kelly's music for years, you guys would figure I have some of my own reasons for giving this a mention. I'm not saying I've got my bias goggles on, because I'll admit that this is only good enough for this part of the list. As one who has bothered to listen to all of Piece by Piece, I'll admit that her post-marriage release is just alright, but it doesn't fall too flat like My December. Seeing a song from Kelly and being able to enter the year-end Hot 100 is enough to put a smile on my face. I really do like this song and I can appreciate this pure pop direction Kelly went with, and it shows within the content of this song. It's because I feel Kelly is still able to show some variety in a nice little, upbeat pop ballad about getting back some faith in falling in love. But wait, shouldn't I be annoyed how the melody of this song sounds so strikingly familar to "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World? Not at all really, and like any other inadvertent similarities in other Kelly Clarkson songs (two of which: "Already Gone" sounded like "Halo," but given Ryan Tedder's involvement with both songs, I can see why. And "Miss Independent," which sounds like one verse from "Come Undone"), I can accept this. I'll probably never get disappointed with any future new releases from Kelly, but there was somebody this year that was able to top her at her own game, right?

Cool for the Summer / Demi Lovato

And it's a matter of fact that there was another singer who impressed me more this year. Just a confession, but when I first listened to this, I wasn't very amused with this direction Demi took with this song, (partly because I've gotten a lot of Katy Perry vibes from this. It caught my attention after noticing Katy's top producer was in-charge of its production) but after a while, I've now appreciated and adored this song for Demi's shift in personality. And she still manages to deliver with the electric guitars added in to give the song some edge and an energetic feeling. So yeah, this song definitely aged well for me after a few months but only holds onto a position on my honorable mentions.

Sugar / Maroon 5

You heard me, a Maroon 5 song was close to being on my Top 10, and it is one of their better songs. While I mentioned before that Maroon 5 is one of my least favorite popular bands, I will say that they are able to release a song that I wouldn't mind listening to. This was just a pleasant throwback to old-fashioned funk music, and while I am definitely not a big fan of Adam Levine's voice, I think he's got it right here. This song is romantic, exciting, and Adam sounds legitimately romantic and in control of his voice in order to make it all fit. To change the subject for a moment, if you remember seeing my Bottom 10 honorable mentions, I discredited The Weeknd's voice from "Earned It," because of his inability to make it deliver in any sort of way. Let me just say that I can find solace in a voice from some artists I usually dislike, and I can also find displeasure in a voice from some artists that I usually enjoy, and The Weeknd is not the only example I'm setting up. (*cough* Sia and "Alive* *cough*)

Hotline Bling / Drake

I'm not that open about Drake, but this is a track I can really enjoy myself. That catchy elevator music sounding production (or otherwise a sample of TImmy Thomas' "Why Can't We Live Together.") is what sells it the most. I also give kudos to Drake for how he was able to deliver his emotions to describe his break-up. I just love what is done here, this type of a song feels very unique to me.

Slow Motion / Trey Songz

I'm very well-known to Trey Songz, considering that I have put "Na Na" from 2014 on said year's Bottom 10. This song is where I find Trey at his A-game. Trey Songz comes off with an excited type of personality and the song comes off as pretty infectious. I'm a sucker for this type of R&B. The production sounds really nice, the tone in Trey Songz's romantic yearnings just works so well. And I'd just like to know who else is even involved with this.

*Charlie Puth*

.....Well, he's done it. The writing and production credit's got his name on it. So yeah, he's actually done it! He actually put out a song that I liked this year, and I overlooked his name! Man, now I feel like I contradicted myself when I said that I wasn't going to expect great things from Puth. To be fair, though, I'm not expecting great things from him at least in the near future, most preferably his own vocal tracks, and I can only hope my expectations are as true. Still, in Trey Songz's part, this is a standout.

Wildest Dreams / Taylor Swift

Just so you all know, there's more to her music that I have to talk about, but this one song that just missed the top. And this another song (foreshadowing) whereas Taylor delivers and shows herself as a very talented pop musician. It's very passionate, the dreamy atmosphere in Taylor's voice and production is so sound and gives me this easy feeling. It's so endearing that I couldn't at least leave this out from my honorable mentions.

FourFiveSeconds / Rihanna, Kanye West, and Paul McCartney

It's not too overwhelming, but it's been a while since I've enjoyed a song from Rihanna. In fact, most credit for the song being on the list is due from Rihanna, but I also give some credit Kanye and Sir Paul. So what do I have to say about Rihanna? She is just amazing, hearing her stripped down like this. The background towards the production and content also feels like a breath of fresh air from RIhanna while the two collaborators each do a good enough job to expand on the subject matter and emotions.

Can't Feel My Face / The Weeknd

Even though I've already said this before, I consider myself to enjoy The Weeknd's music at most times, and due to this being his one of his biggest hits, this sets as a large example. Here, The Weeknd emulates Michael Jackson and he does it spectacularly. His vocal delivery is top notch, the production is incredibly funky and infectious, and....it just missed the big list. While I can think of some better songs I've heard from the guy, but there were just a lot of songs on my Top 10 that were greater. Does this mean The Weeknd isn't anywhere on the top? The answer will be revealed soon.....

Chandelier / Sia

Not only is my #2 worst song of 2014 on the year-end list for this year, but also my #1 best, so why not? For the same reason as previously stated, I don't want to get repetitive, but it's still a wonderful song. Just read my review of it on the Best/Worst of Entertainment 2014 thread.

Elastic Heart / Sia

And so we meet again. Once again, this just missed my list. On top of that, this is my #11. Like with "Chandelier," Sia shows some raw emotions in her voice to express her matters. Diplo's production is equally as good and makes things more interesting. And for a #11...that's as much as I could really say at the moment....

Actually no, I do have more to say, since I brought up her most recent single, let me talk about it and how it differs from her two biggest singles based on my judgment:

Now, "Alive," it feels to me that Sia is trying to continue with the success of "Chandelier" and bring it over to here. Compared to "Chandelier," "Alive" feels overdone and as if it were a rejected draft for the former. That's where my argument about even good singers needing control of their voice takes place, because Sia's consistent voice cracks in the chorus tells me that she doesn't have much control in her voice and sounds like more she's overselling her raw emotions. Surely, there are a few voice cracks present in "Chandelier," but it doesn't sound so squeaky and isn't recurrent in the chorus, so "Chandelier" still manages to works for me.

CoCo / O.T. Genasis

This is more of a mock-up, but also a serious honorable mention at the same time. I honestly find some merriment in this to the point of being a guilty pleasure, because I think this song is quite hilarious in an over-the-top kinda way. This is a popular novelty song that I can look up to as a novelty song and never take any part of it seriously. The lyrics, the way O.T. uses his vocals, it all strangely amuses me in a novelty and memorable fashion. With all that out of the way, let's get on with the real deal....

Steel's Top 10 Best Hit Songs of 2015

Spoiler

I don't know how many are going to be surprised by me saying this, but....Pitbull is showing signs of improving. "Fun," IMO, is the best song he's put out so far. Heck, I've enjoyed some of his other singles from Globalization. Though, it's a shame that "Fun" wasn't able to get past #40 and didn't have enough staying power to make the year-end chart. It sounded like a big hit and we didn't make it happen! But then again, Pitbull still has another good song on his sleeve....

10. Time of Our Lives / Pitbull & Ne-Yo

And you also got Ne-Yo, and they both made a fun little club banger. It's more than just a banger, to me this feels like what "Give Me Everything" could've been. Ne-Yo sounds like he's having a good time, Pitbull has some enjoyable verses, and strangely enough, it's got an interesting message. It's also charming that this party song speaks out to people who struggle to pay rent and encourages the optimism in having a good time for whatever amount of money they have that's enough. Overall, this is a fun, charming, club song that shows what Pitbull is capable of.

Spoiler

Big Sean, I have a feeling that mind is usually blank on this rapper, at least on SBC, but I could be wrong. Big Sean is a familiar name though, he was the rapper who put out the song "Dance (A$$)." I do have some things to say about Big Sean, and I enjoy some his music, he has some potential. He had two hits this year that made the year-end list. One of them is "I Don't Fuck with You," and well....

9. I Don't Fuck with You / Big Sean featuring E-40

I was thinking about "Blessings" being of my favorite songs this year for a while, but after thinking about it, I have enjoyed #9 a lot more. I did find "Blessings" strangely interesting, and I'll also give credit for Drake, another rapper who stood out, and Kanye West (who pretty much stole the show near the end of "Blessings.") Alongside that, the atmosphere in the song's production is all I can really compliment for "Blessings."

Okay, back on topic, "I Don't Fuck with You" is on the list because I think Big Sean is at his best when he's zany and content in what he's talking about. More-so, this is also one of the best songs I've heard that's produced by DJ Mustard. Heck, I give my biggest kudos to the production work, including that D.J. Rogers sample and the creative input Big Sean uses with it.

I can't forget about E-40 either, who makes a really good guest rapper. Amazing rapping from beginning to end of his verse. So in the end, Big Sean has put out a song that was memorable, digestible, and a worthy contender for my top 10.

Spoiler

8. Talking Body / Tove Lo

Tove Lo's other song "Habits (Stay High)" appeared in my previous list, and her follow-up "Talking Body" made this year-end chart and my top 10, and I'll just start by saying that I'm glad we had Tove Lo stick around, because she's quite an interesting artist. I haven't heard most or all of her Queen of the Clouds album, but what intrigues me about that is that she separates a set of tracks into three different themes: "The Sex," "The Love," "The Pain." Regarding, "The Pain," "Habits (Stay High)" plays a role in that theme, and it intrigued me when I reviewed it last year because she describes how much drug consumption she needs to stay high, where I can judge this matter as a really messy breakup.

Then you got "Talking Body," from the "The Sex" portion of the album. Here, Tove Lo describes her need for sexual pleasure, and does it very well. This is mostly because Tove Lo conjures a catchy chorus, and some somber, yet hooky beats to go along with Tove Lo's usual style of dark pop music. The content of this song isn't too much like "Habits," but takes on a meaning of basically two people having sex to get over their problems. In other words, the way Tove Lo uses a struggling tone before establishing excitement is what really gets my attention. So yeah, I think "Talking Body" is marginally better than "Habits," and she continues to show that we could use some more dark-themed pop music like this.

Spoiler

I've said that The Weeknd was going to appear somewhere on this list. Apparently, he's a collaborator in this song. While there's other reasons why we've made The Weeknd as big as he is now, but we can partly thank Ariana Grande for that.

7. Love Me Harder / Ariana Grande featuring The Weeknd

This is where I find Ariana Grande at her best. Not only that, I find The Weeknd equally as spectacular as Ariana in this song. The first thing I'll compliment on is the mature sound Ariana backs up with to express her striving, raw emotions. Ariana shows a lot of passion to make this R&B ballad work and to make it sound sensual, exciting, and empowering. Again, I think The Weeknd helps a lot with carrying some more emotions and sensuality. He just fits in the atmosphere very well. Ariana and The Weeknd provided themselves as such of a fitting, well-sounding tag team that I've express an enough amount of words towards this R&B ballad.

Spoiler

Whoever this year in pop music belonged too, people usually say that The Weeknd was the one who had a lot of buzz to 'make this year.' Whatever people say of whom this year belongs to, I can make a fair judgment that 2015 in pop music is reigned by Taylor Swift:

6. Blank Space / Taylor Swift

I can compliment this song for being the first one to get me really into Taylor Swift's newest stuff. What I really liked about "Blank Space" the most is how it's a jab at how the media sees her, and that Taylor portrays the media's perception of her as an obsessive, predictable, dangerous type of character in the song. She portrays it very well when it comes down to the lyrical content. It shows a lot of clarity, cleverness, and got me hooked with listening to it. The melodies work along with me a lot too, very catchy and memorable. While I do know this became a hit back in 2014, this song was a focal point in making pop music more exciting and interesting by the next year compared to what the rest of 2014 resulted in being before then. If anything else, keep up the good work Taylor Swift!

Spoiler

I've talked about Kelly Clarkson, and then compared her to Demi Lovato, who I felt made a much better input. Well, there's somebody else, isn't there? There's another soulful singer that managed to make the top 10? Tempting fate says there is and that person whose had a big hit this year was none other than.....Ella Henderson.

5. Ghost / Ella Henderson

I don't know how many people out here are familiar with that name. To clarify, Ella Henderson is a British singer who once competed on the X-Factor before she first earned success with "Ghost" in her home country before it crossed over everywhere else. When I first heard a snippet of this, I thought "Hey, this is a rare gem from 2014 that I never thought we asked for, but this needs to a become a big hit!" The best way I can describe my liking for "Ghost" is that I am a huge sucker for these type of soulful power pop songs. Speaking of soulful, Ella Henderson really nails it with showing her raw emotions, and the passion in her voice. Ella even adds some more variety with funky guitar lines and hooky piano melodies. I don't see Ella's success lasting over here, but I'd like to see some more from her.

Spoiler

This is a bit of an understatement, but this year wasn't as abundant in rock music. The biggest name in popular rock music right now is Fall Out Boy, who proved to be successful today as they were since the last decade. This year, they released a new album, and before that they released their single "Centuries," which ended up being a step backwards from their other past hits. But then, they had another successful hit this year:

4. Uma Thurman / Fall Out Boy

Needless to say, this was a much better improvement compared to "Centuries," and they bring out their fun-personified sound, the one thing that makes Fall Out Boy standout as one of my favorite current rock bands. As I should sum it all up, it's easily the best track off their American Beauty / American Psycho album because I have a really good time listening to this, and for using a celebrity's name as a simile that doesn't make me cringe. And for people who watch Todd's reviews like I do, I answer this question: "Why The Munsters?" For those who don't know what I'm talking about, Fall Out Boy expand on their sound by using sampling, and they have sampled the theme to The Munsters. This choice of a sample doesn't bother me at all, because it matters how the band uses the sample to mend with the rest of the song's production. The song is called "Uma Thurman," and its content has nothing to do with the The Munsters, but the sample blends in with the production and vocal work so well and actually makes the song a lot more interesting. As much as I can say that I love Fall Out Boy, there were definitely far better songs the band put out in the past years. Still, this is a song that needed to represent this year.

Spoiler

3. Uptown Funk / Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars

One of the biggest accomplishments this year was making funk as big as it used to be during the 70s. (there was also "Sugar," but still...) once as "Uptown Funk" exploded into the music scene. Being not only a #1 song, but the #1 song of the year, this was a massive highlight of improving pop music for 2015. Mark Ronson's production values in capturing the sounds of Motown and old-school funk is just beyond remarkable. Bruno Mars also gives the song some more sparkle with his intense personality and high spirits. As amazing this song was for pop music, it locks in at #3 for a couple small details: it got a little exhausting to hear after a long while, and I have two songs in mind that I feel are even better contenders.

Spoiler

Once again, Taylor Swift reigns a spot on my top 10, and this one is her best hit to date:

2. Style / Taylor Swift

So close and yet so far, and I really mean choosing my #1 best was a close race. When it came the 70s funk throwbacks and 80s pop throwbacks of this year, the 80s vibes were a lot stronger on me. This is described as funk-pop and/or disco, but judging the production work, it feels like 80s synthpop from my point of view. "Style" is a shining example of a perfect pop song. It's got the groovy disco beats alongside the guitar lines. Then I like the way Taylor Swift details qualities in herself and another in a past relationship, most preferably how shes uses the name of James Dean as a metaphor, for example. Heck, Taylor Swift has herself a really sharp personality that's so easy to love. Most importantly, I never get tired of listening to it, it's so memorable and catchy that it just never leaves my head in a very good way. As much positive insight I've given to "Style," how strong is my #1 compared to this?....

Spoiler

I'm a rock guy at heart. So, I can't say I was able to resist putting this song as #1....

1. Shut Up and Dance / WALK THE MOON

Between this and "Style," my #1 was a close race. I've chosen my #1 best hit song based on having the biggest value to me, the many times I come back to hearing this particular tune, and the one hit that always puts me in the best mood. About the song, "Shut Up and Dance" has something in common with "Uptown Funk" as a revival to an old sound, and the band, known and punctuated as WALK THE MOON, pay homage to 80s rock/synthpop. And there is a lot that I love about this song. From the guitar lines that give me vibes from The Killers, to the utterly catchy lyrics, to the mindless fun, in-your-face energy from the band, to the little guitar solo, to the intensely danceable, absolutely perfect throwback to 80s sounds. As we were all able to make this a huge success, what I'd really like to see now is WALK THE MOON attaining another hit and becoming more than one hit wonders. This a band that already deserves a lot more. With all this summed up, this is without a doubt my #1 best hit song of 2015, and so concludes both of my lists for this year in pop music.

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 3

Now It's my turn to make a list (smirk). This is going to be so controversial.

WHOBOB'S TOP 10 BEST TV SHOWS OF 2015

It was a bit hard to make a list of this because I haven't seen every show that was praised this year and I haven't caught up with some shows like Bojack Horseman, Ash vs. Evil Dead, Gumball, Wander Over Yonder, Brooklyn Nine Nine (I've still been keeping up with this show, It's just that I can't finish it by the end of the year) etc. Also I've recently got into live-action shows, so expect this list to be 75% of animation. Before get into top 10, here are some honorable mentions.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Bob's Burgers (FOX) - I've recently seen most of the episodes this year and this show is still pretty solid and haven't went downhill yet. The reason why this isn't on the list is that It didn't make me laugh as much as It used to be and not every episode of this year are that great. It's still a funny year for Bob's Burgers and there are some really memorable episodes this year such as Hawk and Chick (one of the best cartoon episodes of the year), The Runaway Club, The Ooder Games and Housetrap. So I still recommend to see this year's episodes.

Star vs Forces of Evil (Disney XD) - A really good show with really good storylines and characters. The reason why this isn't higher on my list is because second half of the season isn't really that energetic. Don't get me wrong, the stories of second half are so well-written but I just wish It kept the energy of first half. Also the new animation is a bit distracting, it's still decent but not really charming. Ignore my nit-picks tho because It's still a really good show and deserves to get recognition.

American Dad (TBS) - I was a little afraid that the show will not be the same because Mike Barker has left the show and it's on a different channel now but I can say this, I'm pretty much impressed by TBS season. Now I know some people don't like new episodes and it's ok but I thought it was a funny season. It started off a bit shaky last year but got more memorable and funnier this year with really cool episodes such as Manhattan Magical Murder Mystery Tour, My Affair Lady and The Shrink. What I also love about this year is that they toned down Roger. Don't get me wrong, I like violent version of Roger, it's just they took it a bit too far in last two FOX seasons (micro-season not included) and for the most part, Roger wasn't as funny as he used to be. Now he's back to his old self again, he's still crazy but in a charming and a tame assholish way. With Brian Boyle as showrunner, I still have hope for this show to stay strong.

Golan the Insatiable (FOX) - So no one didn't hear about this show and it got poor ratings? Well, it was aired in early Summer, so it kind of makes sense. It's still a shame because this show is so good. Actually it's good now, Golan in 2014 was just bad. It was a bit tame version of Mr. Pickles but it was still annoying and disturbing. This year they changed some stuff like Dylan having no father and restart it (Golan and Dylan meeting for the first time) and they toned down disturbing stuff. The show is really charming now. Dark comedy is handled very well and Golan and Dylan's friendship is so interesting to watch. My only issue with this show is that Alexis is just like Candace from Phineas and Ferb without charm, heck she even looks like Candace and her boyfriend looks like Jeremy. Tho I'm able to tolerate her this year and she can be funny at times. SO yeah, definetly check out this year's episodes, 6 episodes.

Major Lazer (FXX) - I really want to put this show on the list, it's just that I want to see more of this show, it only was aired with 11 episodes and it isn't as strong as the shows on my list. I still recommend you guys to see this show. It's very trippy, energetic and action-packed. It also has some awesome music, especially the fight song in Throwback Thursday episode. The characters aren't any special but they are likeable enough for you guys to care for them. Overall, a really great adult cartoon.

SpongeBob SquarePants (Nickelodeon) - It'd be a really ballsy move to put this show on the list actually, even in honorable mentions. You know what? I don't care :P, Consider this as unoffical #11. This year was just impressive for this show. After so many years, It's good to see this show great again. Now is the post-SOOW era as great as pre-movie? Not even close but It shouldn't be. It's not incredible tho, it does suffer from forced dialogue at times and pacing isn't always great but I really loved most of episodes this year. Characters are slowly becoming likeable again, the humor is good, facial expressions are awesome, plots are new for this show and the animation looks really nice. I used to think season 8 was improvement but I was wrong, second half of season 9 is a massive improvent, well for now. Yeah, it's good to see you again, SpongeBob. Inb4 hate comments.

Now lets start, shall we?

#10 We Bare Bears (Cartoon Network)

I finally watched last episodes of the show and I gotta say, the show is getting better and better. The humor doesn't always click tho and it can be slow at times but I really think the show has a charm. It's funny to see the bears trying to fit in the World and causing many troubles. Now some people may dislike modern stuff that they put in the show but the only difference is that they show it straight and heck and the jokes come from bears' actions but still when they make modern jokes, the jokes are pretty funny and not face palm like Nickelodeon's modern jokes or The Simpsons. What really made the show better is some of later episodes focus on the bears' origins and ties the origins well. I can't wait to learn more about the bears' backstory next year. So yeah, check this show out.

#9 Adventure Time: Stakes (Cartoon Network)

I know it sounds like cheating to put only miniseries, not the entire show but I only wanted to put miniseries into the list because while I think second half of season 6 and early season 7 episodes are huge improvement for the show, it still suffers from lack of humor, adventure and well-written drama stories at times. Stakes, however, was the best thing that happened to Adventure Time in a while. It managed to mix up drama, comedy and adventure so well. It fills Marcaline's origins for the most part and at the end, it developed Marcaline's character.

Spoiler

It also uses status quo at the end well because none of stuff felt wasted. Marcaline's vampire again but it was still an important journey for Marcaline to be human and she learned a lot from her experience. It was good to see Bubblegum being a princess and King of Ooo getting what he deserves as well.

So yeah, I'm pretty wowed by miniseries and I except Adventure Time to be like this next year.

#8 Total Drama: The Ridonculous Race (Cartoon Network)

I'm glad I started watching Total Drama because I really enjoyed the series. It does suffer from some bad running gags and toilet humor but I really love the storylines they put in and most of characters are charming. This spin-off was no exception. I really loved almost every new character and old characters are also used well, the challenges are so much fun, new host was good and the finanle was awesome. Not going to spoil which pair won but I was so happy that they are the winners. So yeah, this spin-off was a success for Total Drama fans like me.

#7 Jessica Jones (Netflix)

I haven't seen Daredevil or any of live-action DC tv shows but I saw this and I really loved. Now, I don't think the season finale was that good but other episodes of the show are really great. I really think it was a wonderful addition to MCU. Jessica Jones may not be as fun as most of MCU films but I really liked how mature and dark the series was. Jessica herself was a badass hero, KillGrave was a menacing villain and most of main characters were likeable. It did almost everything right and I can't wait to see Jessica Jones later. And Luke Cage was in the show, so that's another plus.

#6 South Park (Comedy Central)

It has been going on for 19 years and it's still a strong show. How can this show is still amazing and not Family Guy anymore? Let me tell you, the show still makes really creative stories and jokes and characters are still loveable. Season 19 prooves it. Once again, they dealt with a story arc and I think it was handled so much better than season 18, tho I still enjoyed watching season 18. Not everything is tied well but for most part, it was a great experience and I'm so happy that the show still has creativity left. It's sad that we have to wait 1 year for this show but hopefully it'll be worth it.

#5 Rick and Morty (Adult Swim)

All of you, hail to best adult cartoon at the moment. Just joking but still this show is so damn good. Season 2 was a more imaginative, smarter, more emotional and funnier season and I gotta thank Justin Roiland, Dan Harmon and rest of the crew for this season. They really raised the stakes, especially for the sad season finale. Damn, It'll be so long to wait for season 3. If you haven't seen the show, what are you waiting for? Go check it out.

#4 Steven Universe (Cartoon Network)

Ok, we all are tired of some insane fans but it doesn't effect my love for this show. It's the best dramatic animation of 2010s. I really care for almost every character, from Steven to minor characters like Sadie, they have been given enough screen time to shine. The drama elements are used so well, the episodes are so interesting and emotional. It's not always sad tho, when there's humor, it's funny, episodes like Say Uncle, Chille Tid and Back to the Barn are so funny. I really can't wait to find out more about this show, especially Garnet's origin story and Cluster thingy.

#3 Doctor Who (BBC)

Did you guys expect my favorite show of all time to be #1 this year? (smirk) Well, I'm not that fanboyish, #2 and #1 this year are better than this year's Doctor Who but don't call me being a fanboy, I have reasons to put this on the list. Series 9 was just a blast from start to finish. Is it perfect? No, I personally think hybrid and Gallifrey could use more work in series 9 finale but in the end, I'm impressed with series 9. What I loved most about this season is Moffat gave more depth to Doctor's character. He wasn't just treated as a silly hero, he was treated as a person who has more personality than he seems, especially his relationship with Clara was top-notch in last three episodes. Speaking of Clara, her send off in series 9 finale was so unquie and so heartwarming at the same time. I couldn't find a better send off tbh. Then there's a new character named Ashlidr and I gotta say, I really liked her character, she was sometimes as a hero and sometimes as an anti-hero and I really find that to be quite interesting and I like how she has some similarities with Doctor. Another thing I love about series 9 is that they continued some of storylines from previous series. They brought back Missy and how they did it was very clever and she was included in an episode that focuses on Davros. There's also the Zygon stuff from 50 Year Special "The Day of the Doctor" and how they ended their story was so brilliant.Not the mention, River Song was back in this year's Christmas special and the special was so ridiculous, yet really heartwarming. And finally, Peter Capaldi is such an awesome actor to play Doctor, he really is. So yeah, that's all I can say about this. Overall, Doctor Who series 9 was so amazing, the best Moffat season ever, including some of finest episodes; Heaven Sent and The Girl Who Died/Lived. Oh boy, that was long review.

#2 Gravity Falls (Disney XD)

This was originally on my #1 until something came, not the mention the series finale hasn't arrived yet. Whatever. I still think 2015 was a wonderful year for Gravity Falls. They definitely raised the stakes with some of best Gravity Falls episodes; Not What He Seems, Tales of Two Stans, Dipper and Mabel vs. The Future and Weirdmageddon Part 1 (Part 2 wasn't that great, it's still solid tho). The show has done really darker, yet still very funny and charming. I can't say much about Gravity Falls this year now, other than this year making season 2 best season of Gravity Falls. I'm gonna miss the show, I hope series finale will worth to wait.

And the moment you've all been waiting for...

#1 Mr. Robot (USA Network)

I've just finished this series and I gotta say, no show this year was as good as Mr. Robot. Seriously, I think it's the best new show of 2015 and best show of 2015. The premise of the show was really original and the execution was marvelous. Every single character played an important role in the show and they are asshole sometimes, yet that's one of the things that makes them really interesting characters. They are so interesting that you want to spend more time with them and they have reasonable actions, especially our main character, Elliot. Elliot is a drug addicted person who hacks other people, yet you can feel his pain and understand why he does terrible things. As the show goes on, he became more interesting and I really didn't see a shocking information from the character coming. He's such an imperfect but a likeable main character. This show really works as a thriller show, it has a lot of dark, depressing and inetnse moments and it's executed so well. It has 10 episodes and they all mean something. The show is about revolution and freedom after all. You really can't keep your eyes away from these themes in the show. Watch the show, I highly recomend.

And lastly, FUCK SOCIETY!!! (smirk)

I hope you guys enjoyed the list. I can't wait to make top 10 best movies list, tho I need to see a few more movies to finish it.

Edited by Jolly Doctor
  • Like 2

It's here, mofos. I think this might be the most I've ever written on a Bottom 10. Hope y'all enjoy it!

---

Man... when we really sit down and stop to think about it... boy, did 2014 suck or what?!

What a ridiculous void of music that was. Not only were the bad songs bad, but there were really not that many good songs. And I've come to this realization especially after reviewing 2015, which was a fantastic year for music.

I admit that 2015 personally has been a bit of a rocky year for me, but for music? HELL YEAH all the way. Really looking back on the year, there was some great stuff happening. I'm honestly excited to reveal my Top 10 this year, more so than I have been the past two years. But before we get to that... let's get to the bad stuff.

And as no year is irredeemable, make no mistake: No year is perfect, either. And 2015 is no exception to that rule. These bad songs are not only bad, they're somehow an even worse crop than 2014 had to offer. Granted, 2015 makes up for it by having some of the best music in a long time, but these worst songs reek baaaad. So put your clothespins on your nose, because we're digging through the garbage heap that is...

Wumbo's Bottom 10 Songs of 2015

Spoiler

All right, so what do Sam Smith and Tom Petty have in common? They're both white guys who make music... but the similarities end there, right? So tell me, why am I seeing stories about a lawsuit settled over whether this song sounds too much like a Tom Petty song?

10. "Stay with Me" - Sam Smith

...Okay, either I'm off my nut or they are.

Recap: Apparently this:

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/7534700

sounds like this:

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/7534698

Okay, yes. Pop song chords do exist. They are insidious, in fact. You hear them everywhere. But that's where the similarities of this song begin and end. I honestly can't imagine why Tom Petty would even bother with a lawsuit. It'd be like if Jay-Z sued Soulja Boy for using his slang. Do you really want the added association?

Oh by the way, it's 2015 and this song still blows. 2015's chart, while great, did have a lot of 2014 backlog, so I was worried about repetition. But thankfully we'll get that over with soon, as this and one other song are the only 2014 songs to make either list. Just remember something, though: last time, this was at number 4. Now be afraid. Very afraid.

Spoiler

Animals-mals?

9. "Animals" - Maroon 5

Surprise, guys! Sam Smith shows up again, and now here's my #1 worst song of 2014, sitting at #9 on this list. Are you scared yet? Not of this song, I mean, which isn't threatening in any way whatsoever.

It's been a year and I'm still baffled over why this even existed. It's just such a bizarre choice for the band, and for pop music in general. Now, dark pop music can work. Just look at the first half of the 80s, for God's sake. But this isn't dark. This is Adam Levine trying to be dark. And upon retrospect... it is pretty goddamn hilarious.

Just... hearing this guy preen his way through these lyrics... this feels like a parody song more than anything, like something Jimmy Fallon would get him to sing. There are so many wrong choices, but it all starts with getting Adam freakin' Levine to sing these lyrics.

Bebeh ah'm preyin on youuuuuUUU TONIGGGHHHHH

Hunt ya down eat YUH ALIIIIIIEEEE

What more can I say, really? Sucked then, sucks now. Maybe I've softened to it a little just because the very idea of this song's existence is absurdly funny. There might also be the fact that Maroon 5 have proved this year that they can be even worse.

Yeesh.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/7535123

Holy mother of mercy, what the hell is he doing with his voice?

Those songs didn't make the year-end, and thank god, because if they did, this Bottom 10 would be very Levine-heavy. Rest assured, though, I still have a deep, deep level of hatred for Animals-mals, and the fact that this song only sits at #9 on this list is a big deal. Now let's get to the rookies of bad this year, shall we?

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/7535130

Well, I got Levine's howl of approval, so yes. Let's move on!

Spoiler

You know, you can be annoying and preeny in a song. But if you really want to piss me off, just be flat boring!

8. "Only" - Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne, and Chris Brown

No, actually, "boring" isn't quite enough to describe how I feel about this song. How about "pointless"? Or "coasting"? Or "colossally disappointing single from three artists who, if not good, at least have the potential to be interesting?"

Picking a worst artist in this song, though, is as pointless and tedious as this song is. They all suck because none of them deliver. I have no idea how this became a hit. Were people really that desperate for Lil Wayne this year? People, just wait for Tha Carter V. It might be good.

No, really. I'm definitely expecting it to be better than this. This song bores me to tears, and it's disappointing to hear it from these three rappers, who I know have more to offer than this. Oh yeah, and then there's Chris Brown, delivering that non-chorus over there.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/7534740

It's still beyond me why we're continuing to allow Chris Brown to have a career, since by all accounts he should be suffering a Lindsay Lohan-esque meltdown by now. But he's here, so unfortunately I have to talk about him. ...actually, no I don't. Moving on!

Spoiler

Just... please. Make it stop.

7. "Worth It" - Fifth Harmony ft. Kid Ink

Here's a fun bit of trivia: If you took out all the parts that are repeated in this song, it would be, like, a minute. You shouldn't have your song be redundant a third of the way through, but that's the artistic decision that Fifth Harmony have made, right down to getting the guest rapper to straight up repeat his verse. That's fucking lazy.

This song broke Fifth Harmony into the mainstream, but as far as I can tell they haven't followed it up since. Not really that surprising to me, since they barely had a lead-off single to begin with. Seriously, there is no replay value to this. Worth it? More like... worthless!

oh god i got beat to a joke by bart baker what am i doing

Well, I think I've said just about all that I can with this song. It's been a thorn in my side ever since it came out, and I'm happy to leave this song and this group in 2015. Seriously, you couldn't get Kid Ink to do a second verse or something? Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

Spoiler

Of all the artists who came out of the Disney scene, Selena Gomez has probably been criticized the most for never really evolving as an artist. She still had hits, but they probably represented her inability to evolve more than anything else. But now, it's 2015, and Selena Gomez has released probably her most mature-sounding record to date, and evidence can be made to show that she has evolved in her music. It's been a long-awaited development in the pop universe. So why does it make my skin crawl every time I hear it?

6. "Good for You" - Selena Gomez ft. A$AP Rocky

Now let me make something unmistakably clear: I'm aware that this song belongs nowhere near a traditional worst list. I totally get it if you like this song. There are a lot of great elements to it. But there's just something about it that, for me, makes the song unlistenable. And I think, unfortunately, a lot of it comes from Selena Gomez's reputation as a squeaky-clean Disney star.

Yes, I realize how totally unfair this criticism is, but this is just such a shift in tone for her music that I'm having a hard time believing this song. It doesn't help that the music video just makes her face look so vacant and lifeless. I don't know, it's like... she shouldn't be singing about this. It feels wrong.

I think it's good that Selena wants to show some vulnerability in her music, but this was just too much for me all at once. She hasn't proven to me that she deserves a song as big as this, and it just comes off like a creepy child pageant as a result. But the production's great and A$AP's verse is solid and all these problems I have are just personal griefs that make this song unlistenable to me. Sorry, Selena. This song ain't good for me.

Spoiler

Say this for Selena Gomez, though: She certainly doesn't sound like a Disney star anymore. In fact, there was an artist this year that sounded more squeaky-clean than her and she's thirty-four freaking years old.

5. "Fight Song" - Rachel Platten

I would honestly just forgive anyone who likes this song. It's not their fault that they've never really had a problem in their lives. It's not their fault that they have no life experience outside of an adult contemporary radio station. It's... god damn, is this song boring or what?!

I'd like to take back anything bad I said about Sara Bareilles. I never really bought her syrupy sweet sentiments either, but at least she had a personality to back it up. Who is Rachel Platten and why should I care?

This is my fight song

What are you fighting for? Or against? Or with? If I can't even determine the preposition that goes with your fight, how am I supposed to get anything out of this song?

Take back my life song

Oh, wonderful. Consulting the "Manic Monday" School of Writing, are we?

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/7535146

Ugh.

I get that we need to fill a certain quota each year for "golly-gosh self-empowerment white bread" music, but this goes beyond that sentiment and into the territory of being about absolutely nothing. These are some of the most trite lyrics you will ever see in a pop song.

And it's not like the song does anything to cover that up, either. It's just bland whiteness without any purpose or meaning behind it other than "self-empowerment anthems make 40-year-old housewives content". And I don't want to hear about any "personal inspiration" Platten got from writing this song, because if it really meant that much to her, she would have tried harder than this. Congratulations, Rachel. You played the system. Now go play somewhere else.

Spoiler

Guys, I tried my best to like this song, I really did. But there is just nothing I can like about it. The more I tried to see the good in this song, the more the bad stuck out to me. I present to you all one of Drake's biggest hits of all time. Gag me.

4. "Hotline Bling" - Drake

Every time I listen to "Hotline Bling", it just hits me over the head with how incompetent and lazy it is. I've heard praise for the beat on this song, but I just don't see it. I listen to it and I feel like I'm in an elevator. People say beats sound like elevator music for hyperbole, but for real, this literally sounds like elevator music.

But let's get to the real problem with this song: it's gross. Drake's delivery sounds like his mouth is being filled with novocaine half the time. Remember when Drake at least tried to be a credible R&B crooner?

Yeah, like him. Where did that Drake go? Instead, we've got somebody who's off the beat and barely trying. And... oh god, we haven't even gotten to these lyrics yet.

All this talk of "being a good girl" and "going places where you're not supposed to"... it's like, what was Drake even trying to accomplish with this song? It just makes him come off like an asshole, and not the "I'm a celebrity" asshole either. The kind of asshole you see leaving snide comments on girls' Instagram pics because they friendzoned them.

Drake, more than just about anyone in this industry, frustrates me. Even this year, I wouldn't discount his music as being totally terrible. "Back to Back" makes me smile every time I hear it. But this? This is proof that Drake believes that he can release anything that he wants, couple it with a goofy video of him dancing, and the public will eat it up. And that's exactly what we did.

2015 turned out to be the year of Canadian R&B, strangely enough, with artists like The Weeknd and even Justin Bieber. But Drake's R&B pales in comparison to either of those artists. That's right, Drake is faltering compared to Justin freaking Bieber. How long before Drake becomes the laughingstock of Canadian music? I say give it a couple more singles like this and maybe our love for Drizzy will finally fall out. Which would honestly be a shame, as I do think the man is talented. But he needs to stop dicking around with his music, because it's really starting to test my patience at this point. Bling bling, Drake. That's irrelevance calling you.

Spoiler

It's hard to hate a song everyone else loves. But it's also hard to love a song everyone else hates. Especially when, over the course of the year, you realize something very important. Namely, that this song isn't any damn good. Like, at all. Seriously.

3. "Thinking Out Loud" - Ed Sheeran

Holy crap, what was I ever thinking when I called this Sheeran's best single? It may have taken me a year to realize, but this is his worst song by a country mile. Listen to this soulless attempt at being sentimental.

This song makes it abundantly clear that Ed Sheeran can't carry a single on his voice alone. He either needs lyrical or musical substance behind his voice, and he doesn't have either of those going for him here. He goes from undersinging on the vocals in the verses to way oversinging on the vocals in the chorus.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/7534893

That moment in the song is particularly hilarious to me. "There, I just sort of hiccupped my line! That means the song has passion and conviction now, right?"

I've always been a fair-weather fan of Ed Sheeran, but this is a storm at its foulest. It's abundantly clear that no thought was put into the composition of this song. It's clumsy, awkward, boring, and just a colossal mess all the way through. Ed didn't have another new hit this year, but this dominated the charts in 2015, reaching #2 on the year-end. With that kind of universal approval, who's to stop Ed from making more songs like this? God help us.

Spoiler

You know, it's not really like me to put a song this upbeat and happy on my worst list. Especially when that song actually has a subject of discussion. But when we're talking about songs we never, ever want to hear again, this one fulfills that criteria for me, and then some.

2. "Honey, I'm Good." - Andy Grammer

Fuck this shit to the highest degree.

Okay, so let me tell you why this song really doesn't work. First off, it's perky in the annoying sense, like that co-worker that shows up at your cubicle at 9am to show you pictures of her kid's first loose tooth or something. But if it was just perky, that'd be one thing. But this song is just... well, it's fucking disgusting.

Let me explain what I mean. We actually had two songs this year that dealt with resisting temptation, the other being "Cheerleader".

Now I had problems with that song as well, but in the end I decided to forgive it, mostly because I liked the throwback to when reggae fusion was a prominent thing in pop music, but also because despite some lyrical stumbles, the song did genuinely sound like a love song. This? This sounds like a husband wink-wink nudge-nudging his wife and going "Eh? Eh? D'you get it? D'you get it? Ah well, you're stuck with me anyway."

And that attitude the song took is what completely sinks it for me. Well, that and this line:

I got somebody at home

And if I stay I might not leave alone

"Give me, like, three seconds and we'll probably end up fucking on the pool table in the back corner. HAHA GUYS ARE HORNY DOOFUSES AMIRITE"

It's just a very un-fun song disguised as a fun one, and that would be okay if it were a parody, but no. Andy Grammer genuinely seems to think that his sentiments expressed in this song are sweet and charming. Well, no, they aren't. You don't spend half a love song describing the body of some other chick you met at the bar. Damn dude, get some game. Like 50 Cent.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/7535087

See? That's the way you do it. Rock on, Fiddy. Andy Grammer? I'm good.

Spoiler

All right, let's be perfectly honest here. There was only ever gonna be one song to top this list. Ladies and gentlemen, the well-deserved worst song of 2015, bar none. Sorry it's not more surprising.

1. "Watch Me" - Silentó

It's songs like this that keep 2015 from being anywhere close to one of the best years ever in music. No matter how good the Top 10 will be, this year will always be the year that introduced this fucking abortion to me.

I hate this more than anything I've ever heard doing this series. This is nails on a chalkboard. This makes me feel old, because I straight up don't understand how the world works in order to make this a hit song, and it kind of leaves me just shaking my fist and going "Kiiiids todaaaaay...!". This doesn't fit my perception of what music is. There is no universe where I can imagine this being an acceptable song to enter the mainstream. Yet here we are.

Is this what we've come to? What's the point in music criticism, or pop culture criticism anymore? We've obviously passed this point long ago if we decided to make this a hit.

Anyway, I guess I should try and... dissect to you all what doesn't work about this song. Thing is, I'm not against the idea of a song that name-checks dances and nothing more. Listen to this:

This is "Land of 1000 Dances", and lyric-wise, it has pretty much the same substance as "Watch Me". But I love "Land of 1000 Dances", and there's a subtle difference in the two... other than one rocks, and the other blows. This song tells you to get up and dance. Silentó's song just wants you to watch him.

And that, friends, is the main problem with this song. By not encouraging participatory culture with his music, Silentó fails to truly connect with his audience, and fails to create an engaging piece of music. Perhaps this could work if he was an idolized star of elevated status, but as a lead-off single, it does nothing to tell us about him as a person. And that is why this song does not function in the way it was intended... wait, he does tell us to break our legs. And do the stanky leg. Maybe part of the problem is just that today's dances suck.

Also, Silentó is an annoying preeny douchebag who needs to get stomped and put in the nearest dumpster where he belongs. This is one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my life. It's blatantly lazy, and it just screams at you "I don't care about my product that I'm selling to you." Please, people. If you don't want more Silentós, then stop making them famous. If this guy can make it, that tells anyone and everyone they can. And lord knows, one Silentó has already signified the beginning of World War III as we know it. Someday in the future, we can all look back on 2015 and figure out where it all went wrong. Now do the Watusi, and don't you dare even attempt the Whip and/or Nae Nae. That is all.

• Like 7