• Advertisement

Clappy Ranks The Yearly Domestic Box Office Top 100 (2003)

Clappy

Once again, great job Clappy. Dear lord most of these movies look like they are written by Brickleberry writers. It's so impossible for "My Father, the Hero" to be a Disney movie because what katniss said and I'm sure this movie is way worse than Chicken Little. As for Flintstones movie, I'm not surprised it's a bad movie because we know, live-action adaptations of animation never works. Alvin and Chipmunks prooved it, TMNT prooved it, Smurfs prooved it, The Fucking Last Airbender prooved it. I know one adaptation called Cinderella got good reviews but I even heard some crap from it. Going into chessy live-action adaptations is a waste of time. Can't wait for top 10 best 1984 movies list. I'm so impressed with this project. I may want to do one for my own with my own materials. 2010 sounds like a good year to review because it has both good and both bad memorable movies.

• Like 1

So yeah…HOW ABOUT THAT BEST LIST.

Holy crap was I almost tempted to do a honorable mentions list because there were so many good movies this year to set off the what the hell am I watching crap to set off the worst list.  Only reason I didn’t do that idea is because of how constrained I’ve been with my internet time lately as I continue my full time job search.  But just let it be known that 1994 gets two thumbs up in my book as a film year.  Hell, there were some movies that didn’t rank in the Top 100 domestically that would absolutely be contenders or place on my list like Ed Wood and Clerks.  Just a damn good year to be a film buff.  Anyway, with that all out of the way, let’s get this incredibly tough best list to rank started.  We’re counting down:

CLAPPY’S TOP 10 BEST HIT FILMS OF 1994

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jdhbvAMrC8

You know, Hugh Grant’s shtick wore incredibly thin as the years went by.  I’m not that big of a fan of a majority of his romantic comedy library, but allow me to show you why he has so many to begin with:

10. Four Weddings and a Funeral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-HeV8Z6iXc

Year End Box Office: 21

I will openly admit with all the contenders on this list, this is one that I’m most unsure about because I had the hardest time ranking the number ten spot because that means I’ll have to omit so many other great contenders from this damn good year.  Shocker right?  It’s the tenth spot, of course it’s going to be the toughest always when it comes to any list.  So with that in mind?  Why this one?  Well there is this amazingly delightful wit and charm that makes this memorable.  It’s awkward and of course that’s expected when our lead runs into the same girl at four different weddings and a funeral.  It makes no shame in its story that that’s how our two main characters are going to strengthen their relationship.  But the chemistry build in this is just perfect and it’s honestly owed a lot to Hugh Grant and Andie McDowell just playing their parts perfectly.  Also have to note the writing is fantastic.  Richard Curtis went on to write A LOT of Hugh Grant’s movies over the years, but this is miles away the best these two have ever done together. 

Critics noted it too because it earned this movie an Academy Award nomination which is absolutely shocking since it didn’t get nominated for any acting or directing awards either.  But honestly, I have no problem with it being nominated.  After all, it is a Mike Newell film (oh hey he made my best list again).  Hell, four of the five best picture nominees made my best list this year.  But yeah, great rom com.  Highly recommend.

Spoiler

You know what?  I’m just going to go ahead and just do both of them here since it’s nearly a virtual tie for all extensive purposes.

9. Dumb and Dumber

Year End Rank: 6

8. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Year End Rank: 16

The only reason I put 8 ahead of 9 is because it has slightly more replay value for me, but other than that, these two are the exact same argument for their placements on my best list.  1994 was the year Jim Carrey was launched into a whole other stratosphere of comedy.  He dominated not only this year, but this decade with hit after hit after hit.  And for the most part, I can’t complain.  Jim Carrey is one of the bets slapstick comedians of all time and he always brings high levels of energy to his comedies.  Not only that, but he’s a great dramatic actor as well.  He’s such a two-way performer that it’s hard to not love him…as an actor that is.  As a person is another story entirely (shut up about anti-vacs).  But personal problems aside, let’s talk about both movies I have ranked.

Dumb and Dumber works because Jim Carrey has someone to play off his high energy slapstick routine with a partner that NO ONE expects in Jeff Daniels.  Yes it’s easy to picture Jeff Daniels in that role now, but back in the 1990s, hell no.  Jeff Daniels was a dramatic actor.  Jeff Daniels was a supporting character in action movies.  Jeff Daniels was serious.  He didn’t do comedy.  Which was a total surprise that he was able to keep up so well with Jim Carrey, who was going absolutely bonkers in an excellent format here.  Dumb and Dumber also worked because of The Farrelly Brothers.  Sure The Farrellys are nowhere near the comedic star directors now that they were in the 1990s, but back in this decade, The Farrellys were gold writers/directors and I can’t wait to revisit classics like Kingpin and There’s Something About Mary in future 90s movie trips.

Ace Ventura, on the other hand, was the exact opposite.  Sure it had Jim Carrey going absolutely bonkers once again, but I think what also might help me appreciate it a bit more than Dumb and Dumber is that it had straight men playing off of Jim Carrey so we don’t have to always watch some go as zany or as bonkers like Jeff Daniels was able to.  That, in my opinion, makes this one slightly more funny than Dumb and Dumber as well.  Which also made me enjoy the character of Ace Ventura far more than the character of Lloyd Christmas.  Of course, sequels to both of these movies both exist out there that makes my opinions on both respective franchises soften, but the originals are both great  comedies that solidified Jim Carrey as a comedic superstar.

Spoiler

For the record, True Lies will not make the best list and wasn’t even considered for it.  Sure people can call Titanic overrated and Avatar vastly overrated, with at least the former being a good movie, but to me True Lies should be considered overrated as well.  If I want good James Cameron/Arnold Schwarzenegger action movies, I would watch the first two Terminator movies where the action scenes were way more memorable.  I also hate how this movie treats it’s female characters when it comes to tracking them and treating them for that matter.  Jamie Lee Curtis can more than hold her own and the movie didn’t show her character enough justice for me.  So with that in mind, there were plenty of great actions to make up for the biggest one from this year being a huge mess. 

For example:

7. Speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRmhneo5A48

Year End Ranking: 8

Now this is an example of how to make an action movie work.  Keep it simple stupid.  You have a vehicle that has an explosive set to detonate if it goes under or over 50 mph.  Such a simplistic premise that keeps you compelled.  Keeps your eyes glued to the screen and it’s equally as suspenseful as the action is top notch.  Sure the premise can be one of the silliest ideas ever conceived but think about it.  One wrong move while driving and BOOM.  I love everything about this movie and it really helped launch the career of both Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock.  Also shout out to Dennis Hopper in one of his best roles to date as the terrorist who rigged the bus to explode.  The sequel may have sucked, but it nowhere near ruins the legacy that is the original.

Spoiler

6. Bullets Over Broadway

Year End Ranking: 97

Woody Allen as a director is hit or miss (no puns intended….after all, it’s just allegations, no direct proof as far as I know.).  But his hit movies are just a whole other level of good compared to his misses.  Woody Allen is as big of a Jekyll and Hyde director as I’ve seen in the entertainment industry.  But this is my favorite Woody Allen movie of the 1990s.  It’s just as entertaining of a comedy as I’ve seen from him while also being one of the more underrated crime noirs of its time as well.  Also for the record, this was adapted into a Broadway musical featuring Zach Braff as recently as a few years ago.  It’s a damn shame that I never caught it while I was in New York being as big a fan of the movie as I am.  But yeah, definitely recommend this movie since it really should be up there with the likes of Annie Hall, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, and Midnight in Paris as some of Woody Allen’s best movies.

Spoiler

So if we can revisit my 2005 list and how I noted that it was the performance of Phillip Seymour Hoffman’s career that made Capote so damn good?  Well 1994 had something similar for Tom Hanks and I think you all know which movie I’m talking about.

5. Forrest Gump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPIEn0M8su0

Year End Box Office: 1

By all extensive purposes, I have no problem with this movie winning best picture despite two other nominees being a lot better than this.  That being said, this movie wouldn’t be on here at all if Tom Hanks didn’t star in it.  This movie is fantastic because of Tom Hanks easily.  He puts on the best performance of his life as the title character and just commits to it entirely.  All that being said, before rewatching this movie the other day, Forrest Gump was on a higher pedestal, but after analyzing this during my rewatch, it’s noted that this movie isn’t perfect.  The writing can be a tad messy at times with the time hops between how Forrest and how Jenny grew up, but its historical retrospective ode to 20th Century America is actually pretty solid.  I just wish more time was spent giving Forrest a more developed character.  He’s the All-American American despite his super low IQ.  I get that, but his character could have been a little more complex.  Like maybe have him realize that he’s propaganda unintentionally?  I mean I don’t care nearly as much about that just due to Tom Hanks acting be so damn perfect in this.  Also kudos to Robin Wright as Jenny, Gary Sinise as Lt. Dan, and Sally Field as Ms. Gump playing the straight men/women foil to a character like Forrest, but not nearly as memorable of performances because Hanks acting just overshadows them in every scene.  Oh and another minor nitpick….I liked the character of Bubba and the actor who played him (Mykelti Williamson), but his character could have been expanded a lot more to make him more than just a sentimental figure of Forrest’s army days.  Also, did you guys know that Ice Cube, Dave Chappelle, and David Alan Grier were all offered the part but turned it down?  Curiosity is getting the best of me here thinking I would have loved to seen their auditions as Bubba.

So yeah, I understand the tad overrated lines at times, but I still highly enjoy this.

Spoiler

As some of you already know, one of my favorite movie directors of all time is Mr. Quentin Tarantino.  What I love the most about him is that he has his own artistic vision and doesn’t take shit from movie studios who want to meddle with his movies.  And it’s no secret that Pulp Fiction is going to absolutely be coming up later on this countdown.  But I want to take the time to show you guys that Quentin Tarantino was involved with another movie in 1994 crafting the story and it’s a damn good one at that.  One of the most controversial films of all time:

4. Natural Born Killers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpLKNclOtLg

Year End Ranking: 25

Of course, this is an Oliver Stone flick, so let me elaborate for a minute.  Oliver Stone, back in his prime, was one of the most controversial directors working.  This guy’s movies were legit dangerous to Hollywood as he always focused on controversial American political issues that would lead to massive amounts of controversy while still making damn entertaining movies too.  For example, Platoon worked because of Oliver Stone’s service in the Vietnam War.  JFK worked because Oliver Stone wasn’t afraid to insert his two cents on government secrecy.  Oliver Stone was a damn good director, but probably his most controversial film to date was this one.  Which was a response to the media glorifying violence.  This movie was apparently so violent that it had to be heavily edited, but even then the violence was substantial.  It actually got banned for nearly a year in the United Kingdom at the time for being too violent and inspiring copycat murders in the US and France.

But how does this movie work so well to me?  Well here is the thing that people often miss the case while watching.  It’s satire.  It’s an absolute satire in every sense imaginable and it’s smart about it.  Let me put it to you this way.  The media use to glorify serial killers at the time.  Always talking about them and giving them way too much television time acknowledging what they are doing is wrong and talking about it nonstop in the public eye.  It’s not society who is adoring serial killers, it’s the media and their odd fascination with them.  I mean let me put it to you in a more modern sense:

-I understand the Aurora Shooting from 2012 was a horrific incident and I pray for the victims’ families who lost their loved ones to it.  But the media had continuous updates with this story and kept it in the public limelight far longer than it needed to be talking about the shooter and his motifs.  Interviewing his family and publically airing the court sentencing.  I mean I get its public news and that they want to keep society informed as to every single thing that comes of it, but claiming that societal violence inspired these events?  No, I disagree entirely with that notion.

That’s what makes Natural Born Killers a far more intriguing movie than most of this list.  It makes you stop and think about how the media portrays societal violence while still being a damn entertaining movie.

Spoiler

So I came into this knowing that my Top 3 would be written down in chalk.  I had at least the top two listed off as my favorite movies of all time when asked this, hell I want to say that my top two were in my top three of that list if I remember correctly.  With that being said, my number three was also in consideration for that all-time list and for good reason.  It’s that damn good.

3. The Shawshank Redemption

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hB3S9bIaco

Year End Ranking: 51

Fun fact if you guys are wondering why the director Frank Darabont sounds familiar?  He was the creator of The Walking Dead television series.  That’s your useless film trivia fact of the day.  Now onto Trophy with sports.

Now here’s the thing.  It’s a damn near perfect adaptation.  For those of you who don’t know, this is an adaptation of Stephen King novella Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption.  Now those of you know that Stephen King adaptations into film and television have always been rather shaky grounds.  I can think of so many instances where this author’s adaptations have been bad to terrible to downright insane.  This adaptation, however, is perfect.  And it’s all due to casting.  Tim Robbins was not the first choice for this role, but I can’t picture anyone else doing the role of Andy Dufrense any more perfectly.  Hell, Morgan Freeman isn’t anywhere near close to the character he’s adapted from (the character of Red Redding is Irish if you couldn’t tell based of the name) but he’s Morgan fucking Freeman.  His authoritative presence and demeanor is just perfect and the obvious narrator memes and jokes can all spread back to this performance that just establishes his voice as the voice of a generation.

But honestly, I can’t sing this movie’s praise enough.  It’s one of the best adaptations I’ve ever seen.  Couldn’t recommend enough.

Spoiler

So I use to always say this is tied for my favorite movie ever.  I had it ranked as my number two favorite movie of all time.  Well…opinions always have a tendency to change since I made it perfectly stated on that favorite list recommendation I completed awhile back.  That being said, I still love this movie to death and it’s one of my favorite animated movies.

2. The Lion King

Year End Ranking: 2

God I love this movie.  It’s one of the best movies Disney has ever made.  The animation is glorious.  The storytelling is wonderful.  The characters are supremely memorable.  The soundtrack….it’s adapted on Broadway, need I say more?  Just picture how important this was to Disney in the long scheme of things.  As I already stated, this movie has been adapted on Broadway.  It lead to numerous sequels, two television franchises, tv specials.  Needless to say, Disney profited a lot off this franchise and while some of it may have not been for the better, it doesn’t derive from the fact that The Lion King is just one hell of a fantastic movie.  At times, it’s too perfect for words.

Spoiler

So if any of you can tell by now, my number one is obviously:

1. Pulp Fiction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7EdQ4FqbhY

Year End Ranking: 10

When it comes down to it, I had to place this movie at number one.  It’s untouchable.   Disney can touch The Lion King and make an insane amount of sequels, adaptations, tv series, etc.  Nobody can touch this.  It’s just insane amounts of originality that makes me appreciate it every time I watch it.  It’s screenwriting in particular I always manage to find new ways to praise it for the risks it takes and succeeds beyond words.  It aces in every single format from acting, directing, screenwriting, producing…you name it, Pulp Fiction achieves it and takes it one step further.  Quentin Tarantino films are fantastic, but he will never make another Pulp Fiction.  No one will.  Pulp Fiction is one of the GOAT films and rightfully so.  There is nothing like it and there never will be.  I think one of my favorite film critics Owen Gleiberman worded my fascination with Pulp Fiction the best.

This movie is high on the rediscovery of how pleasurable a movie can be. I'm not sure I've ever encountered a filmmaker who combined discipline and control with sheer wild-ass joy the way that Tarantino does. There's a special kick that comes from watching something this thrillingly alive.

So yeah, sorry this is so late, but the best lists are always the hardest to write.  It’s easy to go on tangents about how flawed a movie is.  It’s harder to write how much I appreciate a movie for being as good as it is.  But I’m proud of my best list choices since this was a tough list to do with how many good movies there are.  It’s easy to see why 1994 is often considered one of the GOAT film years.  So yeah, that only makes my next year I cover even more anticipated.  Bring it on Random Generator!

…..and my anticipation is spiraling downward again.  Especially since I just revisited the 2000s one month ago.  Where will 2003 rank?  On a positive end of the spectrum like 1994?  Or on the negative end of the spectrum like two years after ala 2005?  Tune in this September as I tackle this mixed bag next.

• Like 8

Quentin Tarrantino has to be top 5 material for being a good director. I saw his track record and all of them are so praised and I still haven't seen one of his movies yet. Screw this, I'm going to check out #1 soon and The Hateful Eight when It comes to theathers.

Man, your top 3 are some of the most praised movies ever made. I love #2 too and I'm checking out #3 as well.

As for Dumb and Dumber, it sounds like one of those movies that uses a dumb comedy right, so everyone can enjoy it.

Great list Clappy and I can't wait for 2003.

• Like 1

Iconic list. Still need to see Natural Born Killers.

2003 looks... interesting.

Ok, THOUGHT TIME

- True Lies

- The Santa Clause

- The Mask

- Interview With The Vampire

- The Crow

- Angels In The Outfield

- Beverly Hills Cop III

- Blank Check

- Reality Bites

- Miracle On 34th Street

- actually. anything else the Nostalgia Critc reviewed on the list

- Clerks wait that wasn't on the top 100 whoops

• Like 1

Ok, THOUGHT TIME

- True Lies

- The Santa Clause

- The Mask

- The Crow

- Angels In The Outfield

- Beverly Hills Cop III

- Blank Check

- Reality Bites

- Miracle On 34th Street

There's more memorable (both bad and good) movies in that year than those :P

Ok, THOUGHT TIME

- True Lies

- The Santa Clause

- The Mask

- The Crow

- Angels In The Outfield

- Beverly Hills Cop III

- Blank Check

- Reality Bites

- Miracle On 34th Street

I owe you some of these thoughts since I'm in mobile land and my phone is about to die so I'll go ahead and knock some out of the way right now.

-Did a brief synopsis of my thoughts on True Lies above. As overrated of a James Cameron film as Titanic somewhat and not as overrated as Avatar. Hate the interpretation of women in this, but all that being said. A so-so Arnold action movie. 4.5/10.

-Really tempted to insert the FG clip of Tim Allen Christmas movies. But I like it. It's a cute family movie. Tim Allen has done FAR worse Xmas movies that I know I'll be covering more in depth when I get to them, but The Santa Clause is fine. 6...maybe a 6.5/10 since Judge Reinhold deserves more work. Plays a hilarious straight man far too often.

-The Mask I didn't love like the other two Jim Carrey movies above, but it's still funny in it's own right. Jim Carrey makes the movie passable because only he can play a character this eccentric perfectly. Everything else....meh. 6/10....could be worse. Could be Son of the Mask. *twitches*

-I definitely understand why so many people love The Crow and how it's such highly appreciated of gothic culture (at least back when I went to high school). To me, it's a good movie...and that's it. Doesn't really do anything else and knowing how much better Alex Proyas has done in the sci-fi genre, this could have been even better. Still, probably a 7/10.

-Angels in the Outfield was definitely in contention for my best list. This and D2: The Mighty Ducks still surprisingly hold up well as much as I loved them growing up. Both get 8.5 out of 10s because even though they hold up, they aren't great-perfect.

-Beverly Hills Cop 3 I understand the hate knowing how much better the other two are. But I didn't hate this enough as everyone else because at least Eddie Murphy, not being as funny as he was in previous installments, still was able to pull off Will Smith levels of poise and charisma to make this work in theory. Still, not a good movie by any means 4/10.

-Blank Check was a contender for my worst list. Was one of the ones that came super close to making the cut. Hate hate hate that little douche in the movie. No way in hell would the concept work at all, even in the 90s. Eleven year olds shouldn't be able to cash checks period without a legal guardian present...whoops did I ruin the plot already? Ugh 2.5/10.

-Reality Bites can't believe we made Winona Ryder a thing in the 90s but hey this was actually one of her best. I'm a sucker for coming of age movies in the 90s since so many of them were done so well and Ethan Hawke and Ben Stiller as the two love interests had great chemistry with Ryder. Also as someone still trying to find himself after graduating college, I totally relate to this 8.5/10

-I love the original more but the remake of Miracle on 34th Street is still an enjoyable Christmas movie. Just wish they hired better actors than Dylan McDermott and Elizabeth Perkins because they came off as incredibly phoned in. At least Mara Wilson was charming and it was easy to see why she got so many roles later on in the 90s. 6/10.

Oh hey I was able to give thoughts on all your things except every single NC reviewed one, but I will say this. The movies he reviewed with Macaulay Culkin as star were all shit and also contenders for my worst list. All three Macaulay Culkin movies on the Top 100 sucked badly and it was more interesting to see his career spiral afterwards with all the legal trouble. But I think it was safe to say 1994 killed Culkin's film career in a basic sense.

Tim Allen has done FAR worse Xmas movies that I know I'll be covering more in depth when I get to them

I hope you don't get Kranky about them.  :smirk:

Awesome best list, Claps! Definitely some I haven't seen that I'd like to sometime in the future. Just might wanna change your thread title here. :P

• Like 1

Wait what happened to Interview With The Vampire

....DOUBLE SHOOT. How did I miss that one? Guess my eyes played a trick on me. Interview With The Vampire you can consider one of my potential finalists for my Top 10 that just missed the cut. Damn good movie and hopefully not the last time we see Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt together on the same screen. Excellent chemistry between the cast in general and helped launch so many careers afterwards. 9/10

...Is now onto Trophy with sports your catchphrase that I have to put inputs on some sports movie? Like if I'm able to I guess but I just have to point this out :P

I really need to catch up more with movies anyways. Good list, from what little I can tell anyways :/

• Like 1

Ooh ooh my turn my turn :P

What did you think of The Little Rascals?

Well as a fan of the television series somewhat (my dad loves the old show), the movie did the series proper justice.  But I was kinda hoping for a more radical approach of self-awareness like The Brady Bunch Movie embraced in 1995 and made that movie awesome.  Still, this is one of the better classic tv series adapted into a major motion picture fad that plagued the 90s and 2000s.  6/10.

• Like 1