• Advertisement

why hasn't Cartoon Network had a huge hit

Ron

Adventure Time and Ben 10.

Adventure Time is so popular that's it's getting a theatrical movie.

THE FUN WILL NEVER END

No really, why is AT still going when most people moved over to other things like SU, which has potential to become one of CN's biggest hits.

THE FUN WILL NEVER END

No really, why is AT still going when most people moved over to other things like SU, which has potential to become one of CN's biggest hits.

It's still going because people still like it? It clearly does well in ratings/merchandise/etc. if it is getting an 8th season.

• Like 1

THE FUN WILL NEVER END

Because Adventure Time was here first and it doesn't just have the "potential" to be one of CN's biggest hits - it is one of their biggest hits. It's been renewed for an 8th season and is getting a movie. Steven Universe has been on for, like, a year. There's no way a show that's been on for one year can dethrone a show that's been on for, what, five? CN isn't going to just go "hm, look at this tumblr fanbase that Steven Universe has... we should cancel everything else and become the Steven Universe network".

• Like 6

THE FUN WILL NEVER END

Because Adventure Time was here first and it doesn't just have the "potential" to be one of CN's biggest hits - it is one of their biggest hits. It's been renewed for an 8th season and is getting a movie. Steven Universe has been on for, like, a year. There's no way a show that's been on for one year can dethrone a show that's been on for, what, five? CN isn't going to just go "hm, look at this tumblr fanbase that Steven Universe has... we should cancel everything else and become the Steven Universe network".

Not only that, but the fact that Steven Universe's ratings aren't even close to touching Adventure Time's steady ratings for going on five years.  If Steven Universe can hold that well for as many years, then maybe we can talk.  But I don't see Steven Universe merchandise, movie projects, or winning any awards of actual importance (as far as I know it has won one award for voice acting for an awards show I've never even heard of).  Just because Steven Universe has a following on Tumblr doesn't make it the flagship program of CN after only existing for only one year.  Potential can only drive a network so far.  It has to earn it first before even being in consideration because right now the title of CN's flagship programs still belongs to Adventure Time and Regular Show.

It's already the Teen Titans Go! Network tho. 

It's already the Teen Titans Go! Network tho. 

By that logic, it was once the Johnny Test Network. Remember when Johnny Test was on all the time? Do you remember the last time you saw Johnny Test on?

...Yeah.

The reason CN plays TTG a lot is because their target audience likes it. That doesn't mean they've stopped caring about all their other programming. The way I see it, they're trying to balance out their programming the best they can because they have so much of it. That's why they gave Adventure Time, Regular Show, and hell, even Steven Universe a backseat at one point by not airing reruns, even though they all had good ratings. It's all about balance, one successful show does not make a network.

• Like 4

I love how the OP asks this question as if it's a bad thing.

What's great about Cartoon Network is that it doesn't rely on one heavy hitter to collect the ratings. Instead it allows each of their shows to breathe. I would argue that Adventure Time has/will become culturally significant (with the announcement of a seventh and eighth season, it's quickly becoming one of their longest running cartoons), but to call it a cash cow would be exaggerating. Maybe Teen Titans Go, but unlike Johnny Test it isn't a burden to their name. Kids love TTG, and some whiny neckbeards online won't change something that is otherwise financially successful.

And as much as the same whiny neckbeards wish, Steven Universe simply isn't capable as the flagship program. It's too over-emotional and plot heavy. It'll, more or less, wind up as a cult classic in the vein of Invader Zim or Freakazoid rather than become a staple of the 2010's.

• Like 5

And as much as the same whiny neckbeards wish, Steven Universe simply isn't capable as the flagship program. It's too over-emotional and plot heavy. It'll, more or less, wind up as a cult classic in the vein of Invader Zim or Freakazoid rather than become a staple of the 2010's.

I was really impressed with the post up until here

I wouldn't say Steven Universe is any more complex, emotional, or plot-heavy than Adventure Time circa Season 3/4, and it seems CN is already gearing it, Uncle Grandpa, and Clarence up to be the flagship shows when Adventure Time and Regular Show how out, which seems to be coming in the semi-near future.

By that logic, it was once the Johnny Test Network. Remember when Johnny Test was on all the time? Do you remember the last time you saw Johnny Test on?

...Yeah.

The reason CN plays TTG a lot is because their target audience likes it. That doesn't mean they've stopped caring about all their other programming. The way I see it, they're trying to balance out their programming the best they can because they have so much of it. That's why they gave Adventure Time, Regular Show, and hell, even Steven Universe a backseat at one point by not airing reruns, even though they all had good ratings. It's all about balance, one successful show does not make a network.

I thought the reason CN plays shows like TTG and Johnny Test were because they have lower budgets so it takes less effort to milk it.

• Like 1

I was really impressed with the post up until here

I wouldn't say Steven Universe is any more complex, emotional, or plot-heavy than Adventure Time circa Season 3/4, and it seems CN is already gearing it, Uncle Grandpa, and Clarence up to be the flagship shows when Adventure Time and Regular Show how out, which seems to be coming in the semi-near future.

Keep in mind that I was referring to the possibility of the flagship show, not "a". If CN were to have only one, I doubt Steven Universe would be make the cut. That being said, their strategy of having multiple cartoons take the helm is one that other networks (*cough*Nickelodeon*cough*) should begin taking up.

• Like 3

Yeah, CN's diversity is a thing I admire about it and I really do believe they're handling themselves the best of any channel. It would be a shame if they got rid of the likes of AT or RS just because a fanbase has moved onto their other shows. 

• Like 2

I thought the reason CN plays shows like TTG and Johnny Test were because they have lower budgets so it takes less effort to milk it.

It's because kids like them. The TTG bomb last week got 11 million views. 11 MILLION. It seems like CN is going to make that one their flagship show once AT and RS are decommissioned because whenever it airs, the ratings skyrocket.

It's because kids like them. The TTG bomb last week got 11 million views. 11 MILLION.

Where did you hear this from? This is 100% false. CN's ratings don't go anywhere near close to 11 million in the past 5 years, the highest it goes is 3 or 4 million. The TTG bomb last week's premiere views were in the 2 million range.

• Like 1