• Advertisement

063. Have You Seen This Snail?

Minty Car

I was watching this episode on Netflix the other day and I noticed that the guy who sings the song in the middle of the episode (his name is Mark Stewart by the way) sounds an awful lot like Mermaidman.

Then everything got confusing for a little while, and I ended up drawing a picture of Mermaidman hugging a snail.

• Like 1

I loved it. It's on my top 5 season 4 episodes. It was touching and very enjoyable. I think this episode is way better than Dumped episode. I really liked "Gary Come Home" song and the song was very catchy. I also thought this episode was funny but I don't think It's one of the funniest SpongeBob episodes. Some parts made me laugh like Gary jumping on SpongeBob face, Squidward screaming when SpongeBob and Patrick entering his bathroom, Patrick eating Gary's favorite treats, the krabby patties being covered in SpongeBob's tears, Patrick saying "It's the apocalypse! Office products falling from the sky.", Patrick saying "I want peanuts", then Patrick pressing the button in the airplane, then the airplane losing control and then the message that SpongeBob wrote in the sky being changed to "LISA, WILL YOU MARRY ME?", Gary becoming fat and Patrick saying "Did you just say Gary? SpongeBob, I just remembered earlier today at the craft store, I saw... these huge chunks of balsa wood! They were awesome!". I recommend this episode to everyone. 10/10

Throughout the show's history, Gary has always been treated as a background character. I understand the reasons; there's not a lot to do with a character who sits around and says "meow" for most of the day. Still, a double-length episode that not only gives Gary a major role but focuses on the snail for the duration of the 22 minutes is well-deserved and very much welcome. This episode shows that Gary is not only an important character but maybe the most important out of all them. Gary is part of what makes SpongeBob who he is, and nothing demonstrates that more than the image shown above, of the previously jolly little sponge sniveling behind an empty food bowl, reduced to a shell of what he once was. Rarely before has the series had such an emotional resonance, and there was no better episode to have it in than this one, the first two-parter not padded with scenes of Patchy the Pirate and his sarcastic parrot, scenes that would have dragged this episode down and kept it off of my list for sure. (As they did with all the Season 3 specials, which were good ideas turned gimmicky and stale.)

• Like 2

This episode had pre-movie writers, and so the not-so-original plot was very well executed. The only thing for me is that the grandma parts get boring after a while. The song makes up for it and might be the best song of the show. I cried. I'm glad Patchy wasn't in this. They could've easily made up a plot where Patchy loses Potty, and the whole thing would be predictable as heck.

8,9/10

This episode was really sad but it was a great episode. It is the best s4 episode. The song "Gary Come Home" was really sad and made me want cry. I didn't cry but I was about to. This episode shows that SB is not all about humor it can also be about sadness and caring and loving.

Best moment - Gary Come Home

Best character - Gary and SB.

10/10

• Like 1

This episode is one of the best episodes ever, If it can make you cry, then that means the cartoon characters matter to you. And if a cartoon can make fictional characters matter to you and your life, it is undeniably amazing. 10/10.

I know I started this topic, but I recently rewatched this episode decided to post a retrospective on it. It's not a typical episode in that it's less humor more than serious morals/story. The Come Home Gary song is one of my favorite songs period because of how well it fit into the episode. It remains among my favorite episodes for sure. 9/10