• Advertisement

BREAKING NEWS: Yahoo! buys Tumbir

Poor Tumbir

But actually though.  It's a fine move by Yahoo - buy the hippest site around so they become hip by proxy - but they'll put too many censors and restrictions on the site, and if anything happens to the NSFW stuff that makes up about 98% of tumblr then people are gonna jump ship as quick as they can and Yahoo will be left with a shell of a website and a $1.1 billion size whole in their wallet.

I think it's a smart decision on Yahoo's part because they have fallen so far behind Google it's not even funny. I mean they have been invisible since they were relevant a decade ago. If that makes any sense. Tumblr is a hip property, so I don't blame Yahoo for doing this. How they capitalize on this purchase is what is important to the success of this business decision.

lol Citynews

And...why Tumblr? They should've bought Wordpress! But..this is awesome!

It's everything Yahoo isn't, that's why.  It's fresh, it's hip, and it's now.  In order to stay relevant, Yahoo needed to buy something big that would get people to turn their heads and notice them, and tumblr most certainly did that.  Unless Yahoo really screws up and censors the crap out of tumblr, it's a fine move and it's much more sensible than Wordpress because I can't recall the last time I heard someone talk about Wordpress.

they shut it down because Geocities were dated and irrelevant. if they still had it up it would be like angelfire still being up

but i still had one