• Advertisement

Facebook

Ron

Like I said, I'm sure everyone thought the same about MySpace, and now look where it's at. I'm not saying the same about Google because Google is more of a company than a website now, but its core product (Search) can be killed. I don't think Google would experience something like Microsoft, where all their products sort of collapsed in on itself until the entire company toppled over (just like Microsoft has; Microsoft's stock is actually worth less than Facebook's right now). Google has Android, YouTube, Blogger, and Search. Android and Search are easily the most important, but if Facebook were to gain traction and overtake Search, it wouldn't affect Google as a whole. Thinking Search is a holy, untouchable product, though, is stupid.

But Google search is very prominent. It's around #1 or #2 on Alexa. I'm not saying it's the thing every site bows down to, but it's a really big part of the internet.

I don't think Google's search feature is holy and untouchable, but from what I know about it so far, Facebook's new search will be way too limited to even come close to overtaking the giant.

But Google search is very prominent. It's around #1 or #2 on Alexa. I'm not saying it's the thing every site bows down to, but it's a really big part of the internet.

MySpace was just as prominent a decade ago. Where is it now? lol forgotten. Unless Google continues innovating, something better will overtake it (like how Facebook overtook MySpace).

Google is nothing like Facebook. Don't see how it would be overshadowed.

Google has become very important part of the internet in the past decade that I just don't see it being replaced by another site anytime soon. Facebook has a different purpose than Google, and not everyone makes use of it.

Facebook is smart. Graph Search (what it introduced yesterday) is an indication that it knows where it needs to go. I think Mark Zuckerberg sees where the search business is going to go in the way he saw where social media is going to go (before Facebook came along, social sites were blotted in ads and popups and difficult to use in comparison to Facebook's simplicity). Eventually, Graph Search is going to expand past Facebook's core as Facebook itself grows and adapts. I don't think anyone sees it, but Facebook is setting up a social ecosystem. Facebook already has billions of bytes of data on its users, but as it expands and expands, they'll grow to the size of something like Google. The difference is that Facebook OWNS all of its data; Google simply posts links TO the data. This makes Facebook's situation unique. It can (and most likely will) redefine content consumption and discovery. The point of Graph Search is to do the work for you. Let's say you're looking for some new music to listen to (as I do often, don't know about you lol). If I use Google, it doesn't know anything about me because it's not personal to me. On Facebook, however...

In the future, I might be able to log in and go onto Graph Search and search, "some new music."

It then brings up a clean list of songs and albums I might be interested in. Maybe some music my friends who have similar tastes to me have been listening to. Then I decide I want to go out to eat that night. I type in, "i want olive garden tonight." Because Facebook is personal to me, it locates Olive Garden's in my area, pulls up their address, direction routes, and phone number cleanly and quickly. That's much easier than going and hunting for the information using Google. And then what about regular internet searches? Well, Facebook is also in a unique place there because it once again owns ALL OF ITS OWN DATA. What does that allow it to do? Two words:

Semantic web.

What's a semantic web? At the moment, search engines crawl the web based primarily on keyboard and relevance (not relevance to you, but relevance to anyone; it's going to show a website that has three pages over a website that has one page). What if search was more powerful? What if it took into account everything about me when giving me results, NOT just taking into account my past searches as Google currently does? That's the future of search, and that's the future of Facebook's Graph Search. If I'm looking for a new dentist, doctor, whatever, what if my search (which, if you think about it, is the center of the internet) could do that for me? What if the search could think for itself and make logical, intelligent decisions for itself?

Facebook's already proved it can invent and implement sophisticated algorithms. Facebook isn't like Google where everyone generally sees the same thing. If I Google "spongebob forums" and you Google "spongebob forums" we're going to generally get the same thing. However, EVERYONE who has a Facebook gets different content. If Facebook can accomplish that, they can accomplish something like a semantic web and the search of the future. Thinking in the long term, I don't believe Google is in the position to press the Search further ahead. Facebook, on the other hand, is in a GREAT position to press out a ton of new products, as well as get into dozens of lucrative markets.

It doesn't look like that now, but I believe Facebook will eventually overtake Google if Mark Zuckerberg decides to pursue that direction and compete against Google.

Pandora will almost always be the best place to discover new musics (alternate options: talking to friends, iTunes' Genius, YouTube suggestions) and if Google is connected to you (which it should be, because if not then you're doing it wrong) then typing in "Olive Garden" will yield all the same mumbo jumbo. Look, I'll do it right now and it'll take three seconds.

Three nearest locations, Zagat ratings, phone numbers, a map, and a suggestion for a menu. How quick. Or hell, in theory I could even use Siri for that stuff.

So. Yeah. People could just as easily not care about what Facebook has in store and just go on command+T'ing into a new tab in Chrome and using the search bar because I'm guessing the majority of people don't like change (example: everyone always complaining about Facebook layouts changing).

All of this probably just applies to me though and I won't be caring about, or using, the new search feature when there are plenty of other viable options that are already available to me that I already know how to use and am comfortable with. If Facebook overtakes Google Search and Pandora and all that great stuff that I and a bunch of people love, then, well, fine; I'll just use it after the fact because there isn't a reason to do so beforehand.

MySpace was just as prominent a decade ago. Where is it now? lol forgotten.

That's actually hilariously ironic because Justin Timberlake just released the new Myspace layout. It took them about six years to actually do an innovation to the site that doesn't suck, which is six years too late for them to actually gain any momentum whatsoever.

As for those of you who are saying Google will still be the prominent search engine monster it is now ten years from now, let me just remind you that everyone was saying the same thing about Yahoo fifteen years ago. Look how that turned out. Google needs to keep on innovating to keep a firm grasp on it's position as top search engine because Facebook Graph is an absolutely genius idea that will launch Facebook into another stratosphere.

• Like 1

That's actually hilariously ironic because Justin Timberlake just released the new Myspace layout. It took them about six years to actually do an innovation to the site that doesn't suck, which is six years too late for them to actually gain any momentum whatsoever.

As for those of you who are saying Google will still be the prominent search engine monster it is now ten years from now, let me just remind you that everyone was saying the same thing about Yahoo fifteen years ago. Look how that turned out. Google needs to keep on innovating to keep a firm grasp on it's position as top search engine because Facebook Graph is an absolutely genius idea that will launch Facebook into another stratosphere.

Kane: Gogle search is a monster

oh and can you explain what's exactly about that new FB feature?

OH MEH GAWD YAHOO IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE! ^_^

oh and can you explain what's exactly about that new FB feature?

This pretty much:

They held a big conference today and introduced a new product called "Graph Search." It's like Siri, tbh. You type in a question like:

"Friends that like Lady Gaga over the age of 22"

And it pulls up that info directly. Or:

"Places to eat"

And it pulls up that info. Or:

"What kinds of dentists do my friends like"

And it pulls that up. I think this is the future of the web, I'm very impressed. This could potentially kill Google in the future. Zuckerberg said the goal is the search will give you the answers, not give you links that lead you to the answer. I'm very impressed; I'm sure this also leaves a ton of room for future revenue (ads, selling products, etc).

This sounds like Siri.

And why would you need to know "friends that like Lady Gaga over the age of 22" anyhow?

I can see it being somewhat useful, but I think it'll be a while before it overtakes Google, if such a thing were to happen.

Bumping this topic because of the announcement of Facebook Home:

http://www.forbes.co...cebook-fatigue/

My initial thoughts are that it's a smart idea due to the majority of FB users who log in through mobile devices. Why not have the best Facebook possible for a mobile device? If the content is there, take advantage of it.

Yes. You are not alone. You are not solitary, single, or by yourself. I, JCMojo Jojo, share the circumstances that you reveal through the post which you created and originated through the typing of your fingers on a keyboard. I, JCMojo Jojo, have this in common with both you and the lord of melons.