• Advertisement

Facebook

Ron

I have respect for Facebook. People like to say, "Facebook is a rip-off" or "Facebook just took MySpace's idea." Honestly, I don't believe that's the case. Before Facebook, social media was very confused. The internet was populated with portal sites, such as MySpace, Yahoo, AOL, and MSN. When Facebook came along, however, it completely shifted the focus from static content to content posted by the users. It also completely changed the design standards of social media. Facebook features a very simple and friendly interface; in comparison to MySpace's cluttered interface, Facebook is a lot more intuitive and easy to use. No, it's not nearly as customizable, but I think Apple's sort of closed model worked better than MySpace's model of "you can make your page however the hell you want."

It's stock is working its way back up to $30/share, which I think is pretty great, considering it flopped down to $15/share after its IPO. I want to see Facebook get bigger and bigger, because it really is one of the few online superpowers (outside of Google and Amazon, Facebook is the only true stand-alone site that has as much power and influence as Google/Amazon). The wider variety of large sites we have on the net, the better the internet can be protected against future bullshit like SOPA (because all over the world, internet's already getting censored).

What do you think about Facebook?

To me, I'm getting kind of bored with Facebook. The games have become extremely commercial, I have to have a lot of friends to play some games (which only one person plays), and many of the awesome ones are long gone (Restaurant City :'(). As for the social part, there's nothing much to do on it anymore. My cousin might post something good, but it won't be memorable.

I barely use mine nowadays, just to check in and what not. I can appreciate all its accomplishments but it mostly causes drama on my end of the spectrum.

I remember when Myspace was relevant and more tolerable, some of the best years on the Internet of my life.

Facebook itself is great. The people are terrible.

I never post statuses about what I'm doing. Why? Because no one cares. People don't get that no one else cares that you "have so much homework" and that you're "so bored" and that we should "txt it". Parents don't get that either, and they're a big part of it. We don't want to see your new baby, because as a society, we don't give a shit. Oh, your 8 year old son is sleeping? Don't take a picture of it and upload it. Oh, you just Google searched inspirational quotes? Don't post your favorite as a status and end it with a heart. That's the problem of Facebook, and why I think people aren't as jazzed as they were a few years back. The people who aren't using Facebook for its intended purpose (to let people know what you're doing and connect with your friends/family) are leaving because the people who do use it for its intended purpose are annoying.

Personally, I still enjoy Facebook because I don't take it seriously. I post funny statuses and clever things and people laugh and like them. It's a nice ego boost to see that people like what I'm saying. I mainly use it for that and for posting my art, both of which hopefully benefit my friends (they get a laugh out of my statuses and get to gush over my art). If you don't take Facebook seriously then it's probably one of the most helpful and convenient sites on the Internet. If you take it too seriously then I hate you.

Also the pictures that say "LIKE IF YOU WANT TO GO TO HEAVEN OR SCROLL DOWN AND BURN IN HELL LIKE THE HERETIC YOU ARE" and the like are getting a bit excessive and annoying because they're just ego-boosters for horrible people, but I rather not get into that.

So yeah. It's a great place to goof off. It's a terrible place to update us on the kind of chocolate chips you're using in your cookies even though you're on a diet.

A little off topic, but I'd peg YouTube as the one that completes the trio of most powerful sites, not Amazon.

Anyway, back on topic. Facebook used to be good before pages started spamming the homepage with supposedly funny pictures (although this did introduce me to tickld.com, which I am grateful for). It's still a great way to connect with people, but it's lost some of its luster, IMO.

Facebook was a good idea when it came out since it connected a lot of friends and families together in a way that was more personal than what Myspace offered at the time. I'm not a big fan of social networks, but Facebook has been influential in helping changes around the world such as protests and revolutions as we saw in 2011's Arab Spring and the Occupy movements around the world.

Facebook was a good idea when it came out since it connected a lot of friends and families together in a way that was more personal than what Myspace offered at the time. I'm not a big fan of social networks, but Facebook has been influential in helping changes around the world such as protests and revolutions as we saw in 2011's Arab Spring and the Occupy movements around the world.

Yeah. And Kony. Or do we not talk about that anymore?

A little off topic, but I'd peg YouTube as the one that completes the trio of most powerful sites, not Amazon.

Anyway, back on topic. Facebook used to be good before pages started spamming the homepage with supposedly funny pictures (although this did introduce me to tickld.com, which I am grateful for). It's still a great way to connect with people, but it's lost some of its luster, IMO.

YouTube is owned by Google, and thus not a stand-alone site. It has influence, but its influence is just an extension of Google's influence.

I could have sworn we had a topic for this already? :P

Anyway, Facebook use to be awesome a few years ago. Ever since last year though, I've branched out to other forms of social media like Twitter, Instagram, etc. I still go to Facebook from time to time, but it's lost a lot of the pizzazz it once had in my eyes.

They held a big conference today and introduced a new product called "Graph Search." It's like Siri, tbh. You type in a question like:

"Friends that like Lady Gaga over the age of 22"

And it pulls up that info directly. Or:

"Places to eat"

And it pulls up that info. Or:

"What kinds of dentists do my friends like"

And it pulls that up. I think this is the future of the web, I'm very impressed. This could potentially kill Google in the future. Zuckerberg said the goal is the search will give you the answers, not give you links that lead you to the answer. I'm very impressed; I'm sure this also leaves a ton of room for future revenue (ads, selling products, etc).

This could potentially kill Google in the future.

kill Google

kill Google

kill Google

WHAT?

lolno

Like I said, I'm sure everyone thought the same about MySpace, and now look where it's at. I'm not saying the same about Google because Google is more of a company than a website now, but its core product (Search) can be killed. I don't think Google would experience something like Microsoft, where all their products sort of collapsed in on itself until the entire company toppled over (just like Microsoft has; Microsoft's stock is actually worth less than Facebook's right now). Google has Android, YouTube, Blogger, and Search. Android and Search are easily the most important, but if Facebook were to gain traction and overtake Search, it wouldn't affect Google as a whole. Thinking Search is a holy, untouchable product, though, is stupid.