• Advertisement

Squidward Abuse

Young Nug

Let's discuss this element that makes up about 1/10 of the show's plot. .....Don't kill me....But I think Squidward Abuse is hilarious, quite frankly, when it's played for laughs. Episodes like Restraining SpongeBob and House Fancy I am able to laugh comfortably. I find episodes based around nothing but making Squidward miserable funny (Club Spongebob, Smoothe Jazz At Bikini Bottom, etc). When Squidward Abuse is played for comedy, it's hilarious, almost always. I actually love Squidward as a character, but I find myself able to laugh at him being abused. However, I think the real problem people have with Squidward Abuse now can stop being funny and seem only to exist to be sadistic. Squid's Visit is a terribly notorious example. Nothing about it is funny- It doesn't even seem to be played for comedy: Are we supposed to laugh at the fact that Squidward is creeped out by Spongebob? Is it funny that Squidward,begins to doubt himself and lose confidence in his own work? No, not really. And, sadly, a lot of scenes like that occur. I feel that these bad parts of Squidward Abuse were rectified by Hello Bikini Bottom and Enchanted Tiki Dreams, which were episodes devoted to being nice to Squidward.

But, if it is played for laughs, I think it's hilarious. Boating Buddies? If it wasn't marred by Aaron Springer's odd style, I'd be willing to go as far as saying that this episode is comedy gold. Restraining SpongeBob? Oh my gosh, pure hilarity. House Fancy? Just funny all around. Now, Squidward doesn't deserve a very large margin of the Abuse he recieves now, but deserving or not, it has always happened and always will. I feel that if we continue to get rectification episodes like Enchanted Tiki Dreams or Hello Bikini Bottom that Squidward Abuse will stop bothering people.

This isn't to say all Squid Abuse is funny. Good Neighbors isn't funny. Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom isn't that funny. Squid's Visit isn't funny. It's creepy. Sponge-Cano isn't funny. It's painful. But, a lot of the Abuse is funny. And even though it's still used and has been flanderized to high heck, I'm glad I can still laugh at it now and again. I mean, after seeing it so many times, the toenail scene is actually not grating to me anymore.

What do you guys think?

I thought Sponge-Cano was actually a good episode, and I have a guilty pleasure for Squid's Visit, even though I agree that it's really stupid. But yeah, Squidward Abuse never really bothered me, Butt Monkey humor can be funny if it's done right.

While Squid abuse can be funny, most of the time it is borderline sad.

Squidward really doesn't deserve it most of the time and it really makes SpongeBob and Patrick seem like psycho stalkers.

Don't kill me....

So I got out my torches and pitchforks for nothing? LAME.

Squidward abuse has always been a staple of the show, and when done right, it can indeed be hilarious. Jellyfishing was probably the earliest example of Squidward getting abused to the point of it being uncomfortable. Most of the abuse in that episode was unwarranted, and fortunately, it didn't get that brutal again until Season 3 with gems like Club SpongeBob and The Camping Episode. By that time, the writers learned from their mistakes and brought us Squidward abuse that was both funny and justifiable, since Squidward spends most of those episodes acting like a jerk anyway, and the same can be said of the Season 4 episode The Lost Mattress.

Of course, all of that progress was undone with the sucktacular Good Neighbors. From there, the Squidward abuse snapped right back to being uncomfortable, and from there it never fully recovered.

• Like 8

Squidward abuse is almost NEVER FUNNY. (Warning: rant ahead due to me being angry today). Squidward abuse, back then, used to make sense. Now, IT IS JUST SADISTIC. Take Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful. WHAT THE BLEEP WAS THAT? It had NO PLOT. NONE. It was nothing more than a Squid Abustastic episode. They did no jokes, made no plot, no development, no jokes, no plot, no plot, no development, and no plot. The episode only relied on Squid abuse, which was unkarmatic and poorly executed.

I don't hate Squid abuse entirely. Only when Squidward did nothing wrong. For example, Artist Unknown. First off, it did more than abuse ol Squiddy. They actually gave a non-abuse storyline. Squidward tries to teach Spongebob art. For one thing, it was karma. Squidward was telling Spongebob that art can only be made one way, which isn't true. Next, it made multiple jokes, like "You're on top this time!", or "BOLD AND BRASH!" or even "PERFECT CENSORSHIP!".

That's pretty much it right now. I just HATE Squid abuse. Nowadays, it most of what they do, and they never get it right. They treat Squidward badly for no reason now. Yet Spongebob and Patrick NEVER get in trouble. NEVER. NEVER. It just sucks, and they better fix it.

• Like 1

Squidward abuse is almost NEVER FUNNY. (Warning: rant ahead due to me being angry today). Squidward abuse, back then, used to make sense. Now, IT IS JUST SADISTIC. Take Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful. WHAT THE BLEEP WAS THAT? It had NO PLOT. NONE. It was nothing more than a Squid Abustastic episode. They did no jokes, made no plot, no development, no jokes, no plot, no plot, no development, and no plot. The episode only relied on Squid abuse, which was unkarmatic and poorly executed.

I don't hate Squid abuse entirely. Only when Squidward did nothing wrong. For example, Artist Unknown. First off, it did more than abuse ol Squiddy. They actually gave a non-abuse storyline. Squidward tries to teach Spongebob art. For one thing, it was karma. Squidward was telling Spongebob that art can only be made one way, which isn't true. Next, it made multiple jokes, like "You're on top this time!", or "BOLD AND BRASH!" or even "PERFECT CENSORSHIP!".

That's pretty much it right now. I just HATE Squid abuse. Nowadays, it most of what they do, and they never get it right. They treat Squidward badly for no reason now. Yet Spongebob and Patrick NEVER get in trouble. NEVER. NEVER. It just sucks, and they better fix it.

This. Seriously, SpongeBob and Patrick treat him like dirt and they are aware of it too.

I do feel bad for Squidward most of the time, although sometimes it's funny. However, I don't let Squidward abuse overpower my feelings for an episode. Take Boating Buddies for example. It had some genuinely funny moments in that episode and is one of my favorites of Season 6 (gasp). Does Squidward get abused in that episode? Often. Do I find it funny? Yes. Do I feel bad for him? Yes. Does it effect my feelings for the episode? No.

He's Squidward! He's been getting "abused" since the show began, and nobody complained about it till the post movie episodes when "Good Neighbors" was first aired. It's just part of the show that makes it comedy. :P

I think it actually hinders an episode when there's too much squiddy abuse imo. Sometimes I feel so sorry for him to the point of being sad for him.

Sometimes Squidward abuse can go a little too far, but I personally enjoy it most of the time. It's funny and not always unwarranted; Squidward's character is a jerk, so it makes sense when karma swings back around and hits him in the face. Here's something else to think about: Plankton abuse. He gets picked on more than Squidward, and it's not as though he's anymore of a jerk than Squidward!

Here's something else to think about: Plankton abuse. He gets picked on more than Squidward, and it's not as though he's anymore of a jerk than Squidward!

I actually agree with this one. Plankton's gotten a lot more likeable since his first appearance, but Mr. Krabs has only been more sadistic towards him. One Course Meal is a prime example of this.

Mr. Nuggets, sir, you neglected to mention Cephalopod Lodge. That is a prime example of Squidward abuse and not a terribly funny one, either (except for the giant sock gag).

Cephalopod Lodge... Neptune no, that episode was horrible. Once again, Squidward was doing nothing. HE WASN'T EVEN BEING A JERK! He was actually really happy, and Spongebob and Patrick when and spent the whole episode ruining his life and being idiots "It's not your fault! MAYBE EETS URZ!" Really? Patrick, that's just rude.

Squidward Torture Pr0n: I'm fine with it, considering it as a staple. It's not always funny, but it's not too harsh either.

Plankton Abuse: It gets colder after the years. Goodness.

Spongebob Abuse: It doesn't come up very much anymore, but I'm overly defensive of this.

Patrick Abuse: Wait a minute, this never happens.

Mr. Krabs Abuse: Well, most of us don't like him, right?

Gary Abuse: A certain nudibranch already ruined it.

I guess character torture seems to be an important subject in the show's quality. Aye, there's the rub.

I admit I am also a fan of well done Squidward abuse. Squidward abuse really is only funny when Squidward deserves it from karma or if it makes sense. Some episodes do great on it while others just make us feel terrible for Squidward because he didn't do anything wrong. Sometimes I feel like it's SpongeBob that deserves the punishment when Squidward gets abused for no reason.

I admit I am also a fan of well done Squidward abuse. Squidward abuse really is only funny when Squidward deserves it from karma or if it makes sense. Some episodes do great on it while others just make us feel terrible for Squidward because he didn't do anything wrong. Sometimes I feel like it's SpongeBob that deserves the punishment when Squidward gets abused for no reason.

And when Spongebob deserves the punishment Squidward didn't deserve to get, Spongebob never gets it. *sigh*

It's like the writers tried to punish Squidward for the sake of comedy. Now that could be a good idea, if Squidward wasn't so innocent and if SB and Patrick wasn't so darn oblivious and moronic. Episodes like Boating Buddies, Squid Wood, Choir Boys, The Krusty Sponge, Cephalopod Lodge, Squid's Visit, Pineapple Fever, and many more. The writers just punish and maltreat Squid undeservedly for absolutely nothing. It's like the writer thought to himself, "You know what? If I put Squidward at the butt of every single joke, that automatically makes the gig funny!" Well, no. It doesn't.

You know what else doesn't help? Having SB as idiotic and oblivious as possible. It's like he's blinded by Squid's disinterest and continues to pursue him like he's obsessed with Squidward. Who knows? Maybe he is. Plus, they execute most abusive gimmicks barely funny. I find them generic, uninteresting, and far from comedy.

Also, the lack of karma that SB is getting, also wrecks. In Shuffleboarding, the yellow beelzebub gets away after harassing the sinless citizens all day long. In A Pal For Gary, he gets the joy of mistreating his innocent snail that he slam for saving his butt. Just give that pillock what he deserves. A citizen taunting him would be enough.