• Advertisement

175. It's A SpongeBob Christmas!

Jjs Goodman

Rating?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Rating?

• 5/5 Stars: Don't be a jerk, it's Christmas!
    • 4/5 Stars: Santa has his jolly little eyes on me!
    • 3/5 Stars: SpongeBob, you may end up on my naughty list.
    • 2/5 Stars: You get coal.
    • 1/5 Stars: This episode is on my naughty list.

I'm surprised at the number of people praising the plot... nobody else thought it felt rushed... or that it was... I dunno, just a little cliche? xD I mean, character must stop villain, villain is stopped and Christmas is saved... even then, it all felt like it was sped along.

What are you talking about? Nobody praised the plot (in this topic, at least). I'd say the storyline of this episode was pretty basic, just like the storylines of most SpongeBob episodes, including the original Christmas special.

What are you talking about? Nobody praised the plot (in this topic, at least). I'd say the storyline of this episode was pretty basic, just like the storylines of most SpongeBob episodes, including the original Christmas special.

The Christmas Who plot was far more creative than this one. :P And I guess you're right. Only Smiles did. xP

Also, how did Santa not know that Plankton is the one who made the Jerktonium-laced fruitcake if he can see everything?

Watching it a second time, I did like the Santa line: "There you go right now, wreaking havoc!" while SpongeBob is right next to him. I wish the subplot of Patrick trying to capture Santa was given more light, as well.

The special garnered 3.9 million viewers. The placement of the special vastly hurt its rating. CBS aired 90 minutes of Christmas specials (SpongeBob was the last special to air at 9:30 PM). These are the ratings of each special, rounded up:

Frosty The Snowman - 7 million viewers (6.9 million viewers)

Frosty Returns - 6 million viewers (5.8 million viewers)

Hoops & Yoyo Ruin Christmas - 4 Million viewers (4.0 million viewers)

It's A SpongeBob Christmas! - 4 Million viewers (3.9 million viewers)

IASBC SHOULD'VE aired at the head of the block, taking Frosty The Snowman's spot.

IASBC SHOULD'VE aired at the head of the block, taking Frosty The Snowman's spot.

But then it would have been airing opposite the iCarly series finale, which would have made even less sense ratings-wise. If CBS switched the timeslots of IASBC and that stupid Hoops & Yoyo special, SpongeBob might have been able to hold on to more of Frosty's audience. I agree that the placement was terrible, but there's nothing we can do about it now.

I absolutely loved it! It was beautiful, and every minute of it felt just like a real SpongeBob episode while adding touches that give it something like a "classic" christmas special. The Patchy segments were okay. While they seem to come out of nowhere at times, they didn't really take over the special. I loved all the songs, especially "Santa's Eyes" and there were plenty of funny moments like Patrick trying to catch Santa, Squidward being a jerk not effected by the Jerktonium, and the Jerky SpongeBot.

Again, a great SpongeBob special that is perfect for the holidays.

Just watched the whole episode on YouTube. For those of you who haven't seen it, if you search for it, you'll find it. ;)

Anyway, my thoughts.

Was this better than Christmas Who? No. But it would be tough to compare both of them because Christmas Who is also one of the best SpongeBob episodes ever. However, this is probably the best post-movie special of SpongeBob.

The Pros:

-I am a sucker for claymation and this did not disappoint. I had a feeling I was going to love this feature when it was first announced and it really made me feel nostalgic for the claymated Christmas specials of yesteryear

-The songs. They were well written, catchy, and fit perfectly with the scene. They were not forced or lazily written compared to Atlantis SquarePantis (sorry guys, but that special had some of the worst SpongeBob songs ever composed in my opinion).

-John Goodman as Santa Claus. I wish he had more screen time because I've been a fan of John Goodman's recent work over the past couple years. However, I understand that he had to be saved til the very end.

-The jokes. I am legit surprised about how many times they had me laughing with this special. The humor reminded me so much of pre-movie SpongeBob and while there were a few misses, there were far more hits in my eyes.

-Patrick trying to catch Santa. I really wish they gave more time to this subplot because it could have been gold.

-Everything involving Squidward. The Go Away Christmas lights, refusing to let SpongeBob into his house, Jerktonium not affecting him, the song not revitalizing him. Stole every scene of the Christmas special in my mind.

The Cons:

-I agree with Dylan. It felt shorter than it actually was. As I was adoring SpongeBob singing the first song and taking a trip around claymated Bikini Bottom, I realized that we were already a fifth of the way through the entire episode. At that point, I had a feeling they were going to rush everything else and they did.

-Speaking of things that were rushed. The plot. Plankton makes jerktonium fruitcakes, SpongeBob delivers them, everyone becomes jerks, Sandy accidentally stumbles upon the antidote, everyone becomes good again, Santa Claus appears, Robo-SpongeBob is easily defeated in less than a minute, Plankton loses the formula. How many points did I just make? Eight. How much time was given to them? Sixteen minutes. That's about two minutes per point. The plot was given so little time to actually develop that it is the main griping point to me about this special.

-Plotholes. While they didn't bother me too badly, they were noticeable. Dylan already pointed out Santa knowing all and not knowing about Plankton making the fruitcakes. That was the one that bugged me the most. How about SpongeBob being able to breathe in Sandy's treedome? Or what about people mistaking Robo-SpongeBob? Shouldn't Santa be able to realize that that was not SpongeBob? Also, did anyone else feel a little guilty about the elves trying to steal Mr. Krab's wallet?

No episode is perfect. I get that. I did have a couple noticeable cons. But I feel that pros heavily outweighed them. Like I stated earlier, this is officially the best special they've done in the post-movie era. This is also one of the best specials SpongeBob has ever had. I will definitely be re-watching this next week when Nick re-airs it.

8.5/10

• Like 4

Clappy, how can Where's Gary? have more flaws then your "said" problems with this special?

Where's Gary was fine and dandy and I would probably give it somewhere between a 7.5-8. However, I'm not as fond of that special as most users I've come across over my many SB forum years. Most users tend to rate that episode very highly, but I just found it to be good, not great.

Just bumping this to remind people that didn't see the CBS premiere that It's A SpongeBob Christmas! will premiere tonight on Nick at 8 PM. The only difference with this airing is that the Patchy scenes will be included, where as the CBS premiere cut them out.

Just bumping this to remind people that didn't see the CBS premiere that It's A SpongeBob Christmas! will premiere tonight on Nick at 8 PM. The only difference with this airing is that the Patchy scenes will be included, where as the CBS premiere cut them out.

Thanks, now I won't forget to record this evening.
  • Like 1

I LOVED this clay-mation and stop-motion Christmas special. After a year and a half of waiting it finally came and I'm very satisfied. I thought the clay-mation was beautiful and so wonderful... some of you call it weird and ugly which I clearly don't see but I call it a work of art and amazing. It was very funny, I thought the musical numbers were very catchy especially "Don't Be a Jerk, It's Christmas" and after hearing about a 2nd Christmas special last year, I said to myself "Okay they have to play Don't Be a Jerk, It's Christmas in this special,,, they just have to" and my wish came true. I LOVED the song ever since that commercial in 2009 and I still love it now. John Goodman was a FANTASTIC guest star as Santa Claus even though his part is short and doesn't appear until near the end of the special but I'm still please with this guest-voice role. The characters in clay-mation form were amazing and very unique. The DVD will definitely be in my Christmas list because I wanna get it now. LOVED this special, no words can describe how much I loved it and it's just as amazing as the original Christmas special. Only nit-pick would be that it ended just a tad bit too quickly, It's a Must-See in my opinion most definitely.

10 out of 10

I LOVED this clay-mation and stop-motion Christmas special. After a year and a half of waiting it finally came and I'm very satisfied. I thought the clay-mation was beautiful and so wonderful... some of you call it weird and ugly which I clearly don't see but I call it a work of art and amazing. It was very funny, I thought the musical numbers were very catchy especially "Don't Be a Jerk, It's Christmas" and after hearing about a 2nd Christmas special last year, I said to myself "Okay they have to play Don't Be a Jerk, It's Christmas in this special,,, they just have to" and my wish came true. I LOVED the song ever since that commercial in 2009 and I still love it now. John Goodman was a FANTASTIC guest star as Santa Claus even though his part is short and doesn't appear until near the end of the special but I'm still please with this guest-voice role. The characters in clay-mation form were amazing and very unique. The DVD will definitely be in my Christmas list because I wanna get it now. LOVED this special, no words can describe how much I loved it and it's just as amazing as the original Christmas special. Only nit-pick would be that it ended just a tad bit too quickly, It's a Must-See in my opinion most definitely.

10 out of 10

Knew you would love it. :smirk:

• Like 1

Wait, what?

I thought it was airing on December 9th. D: I would love to watch it again, it was mysteriously deleted off of my DVR; a little irritated I missed the rerun. ;(

Also, after looking it up, the Nickelodeon premiere attracted 4.6 million viewers! :D Compare that to the 3.9 million that watched on CBS, the Nick premiere garnered 700,000 extra viewers!

Wait, what?

I thought it was airing on December 9th. D: I would love to watch it again, it was mysteriously deleted off of my DVR; a little irritated I missed the rerun. ;(

Also, after looking it up, the Nickelodeon premiere attracted 4.6 million viewers! :D Compare that to the 3.9 million that watched on CBS, the Nick premiere garnered 700,000 extra viewers!

Nick changed it to December 6th a few days ago.

A rerun could still air on December 9th though (not entirely sure, but it is possible :)).

• Like 1