• Advertisement

Wumbo's Somewhat Informed Opinions on Music

Wumbo

Blow Me (One Last Kiss) - P!nk

P!nk is a great artist, and I'm glad to see her coming back with a new album. I was excited to hear this song for the first time, but I'll be honest: It kind of disappointed me. I guess I was expecting something amazing, and I got something less than that. Whatever, it happens. There are only a couple things I find wrong with this song, which are that P!nk's voice gets a little too high at some parts, and that "I'VE HAD A SHIT DAY YOU'VE HAD A SHIT DAY" gets tiresome in every chorus. Still a great song, but I've

from her. Here's hoping I get to hear a better single soon.

Bottom Line: P!nk didn't blow it, but she can do better.

Rating: 7.5/10

Been meaning to ask you about this review. How is it different from any other P!nk song? It involves sexual innuendo puns and her getting quiet then obnoxiously loud.

Been meaning to ask you about this review. How is it different from any other P!nk song? It involves sexual innuendo puns and her getting quiet then obnoxiously loud.

Either P!nk grew on him or he was dared to make a positive review :P

I'm not sure whether you think I was too harsh or too easy on this song, but I find this one to be middle-of-the-road as P!nk songs go (and can I just say I hate the stupid exclamation point in her name?). I don't think all of her songs are like how you described (see Don't Let Me Get Me), but yeah there are indeed a number of songs like that. I don't mind P!nk's voice normally, but it got a bit too screechy here. And as for sexual innuendo puns, none of them can be worse than "SO IF YOU'RE TOO SCHOOL FOR COOL".

Can you critique these songs first?:

50 Ways to Say Goodbye

Lights

Some Nights

Want U Back

Wide Awake

Home

5/6 of those were already done. :P I'll add in 50 Ways to Say Goodbye for Friday.

You mean Home by Phillip Phillips, correct?

I'm not sure whether you think I was too harsh or too easy on this song, but I find this one to be middle-of-the-road as P!nk songs go (and can I just say I hate the stupid exclamation point in her name?). I don't think all of her songs are like how you described (see Don't Let Me Get Me), but yeah there are indeed a number of songs like that. I don't mind P!nk's voice normally, but it got a bit too screechy here. And as for sexual innuendo puns, none of them can be worse than "SO IF YOU'RE TOO SCHOOL FOR COOL".

I thought you were too easy on it :P. Yeah I agree that not all of them are the same, but most of them are the same, except for substituting words.

Raise Your Glass is probably the only P!nk song that I actively dislike. Others I find meh (So What), but I have to say I enjoy P!nk as a whole.

Also, just so everybody knows, I'm going to slightly tweak my format as suggested by dragiiin; I'm going to keep on doing Billboard songs on Fridays, but I'm going to put in an additional post where I look at songs in members' Sharing Time Music threads (I don't know, you think of a better name for them :P) and review them.

Blown Away - Carrie Underwood

You all know how I hate country, right? I may have mentioned it once or twice. Anyway, all bets are off when it comes to Carrie Underwood. Why? Because she actually sings about meaningful things, and has a voice that isn't quite like a generic country star's. Basically, I like Carrie Underwood, and I like this song. Even if you're not a country fan, I would recommend her and it.

Bottom Line: Carrie Underwood blows me away yet again.

Rating: 9/10

Pound the Alarm - Nicki Minaj

Like many Nicki Minaj songs, I'm not sure I get what this is supposed to be. All I can pry from the lyrics that I care to listen to is "WE GETTIN HOTTER AND HOTTER, SEXY AND HOTTER" and of course, "POUND THE ALARM". I mean, what the flying fuck is this? Seriously? I suppose I shouldn't be expecting more from Nicki "No-talent" Minaj, but I actually somewhat liked her song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he3DJLXbebI. I guess I was expecting her to grow as an artist and actually write shit that makes sense. Thank you, Nicki Minaj, for confirming that that one song was a fluke, and you're back to your flaky, slutty self.

Bottom Line: Can't say I'm alarmed, she still sucks.

Rating: 2/10

She's So Mean - Matchbox Twenty

YAY MATCHBOX TWENTY IS BACK! Now, don't get me wrong here. I do appreciate Rob Thomas's solo work. But seeing these guys back together is like having a piece of my childhood back. And what do you know, they'ere still as good as ever. I think that this band can have the catchiest songs, and this is one of them. Can't wait to see what they unveil next!

Bottom Line: They're so good!

Rating: 9.5/10

Cowboys and Angels - Dustin Lynch

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=OFIc1p0Q9kM

I think I should stop listening to country music before I become completely soft to it, but here we are. I think I'm just in the good vein of country right now (which figures, we're nearing the end of the charts). Anyway, the reason I like this song and not other country songs is probably because of the tempo. I usually like slower country songs, if I'm to like any. And somehow, this song had that "X factor" that only certain country songs have. So, good job Dustin Lynch.

Bottom Line: Not quite angelic, but a good song.

Rating: 8/10

Don't Wake Me Up - Chris Brown

The fact that this douche-bomb is still popular just makes me shake my head at the music industry and the public. I'll ignore the elephant in the room for a second and just focus on the song. Why is this song popular? It's just Chris whining about how he doesn't want to be woken up. I mean, I wouldn't mind it if Chris wouldn't wake up, because then he wouldn't be making "music". But a whole song dedicated to it? Really? Never mind that the beat is so boring this song may ironically make you fall asleep.

All right, I've ignored this long enough. This guy should be rotting in a jail cell, not making new song after new song. It appalls me that girls today are so willing to forgive him for what he did because he's "cute". If this guy weren't an international celebrity, he sure wouldn't be looked at the same way. But no, we have to hold a different standard for fucking Chris Brown, because he's a living legend! Even if this guy could dance like Michael Jackson (he can't), sing like Marvin Gaye (he can't), and was as charismatic as a loaf of bread (dream on, buddy. At least I can eat the latter without getting arrested), that still shouldn't excuse him from his actions. And to make matters worse, he feels the need to keep on bringing up the damn subject in the most douchey ways possible. Basically, I loathe Chris Brown, and I hope his career fizzles out soon like a dead firework.

Bottom Line: If you see this guy sleeping, don't wake him up. Please.

Rating: 0/10

BONUS: 50 Ways to Say Goodbye - Train (as suggested by SG12)

All right, that was the longest rant I've done in a while. Let's get back to some better music. Ah, Train! Just in time. First off, let me just say that this video is one of the best I've seen. It has The Hoff and The Grim Reaper in a grocery store! How can one say no? Anyway, the song itself is interesting. Plot: Pat's girlfriend leaves him, so he lists off a threshold of ways the girlfriend died to spare his dignity. And it is just the catchiest thing ever. I can't even explain it, you have to watch for yourself. Trust mew tenfold, you won't regret it.

Bottom Line: I can think of more than 50 reasons to listen to this song.

Rating: 10/10

Stay tuned tomorrow as I review some of dragiiin's choice songs!

Okay, dragiiin, prepare for the critique to end all critiques! Oh, who am I kidding? Let's just do it.

For the songs in these reviews, go to the link dragiiin posted above.

Cuckoo Cuckoo - Animal Collective

This is my first time listening to Animal Collective, and it being one of dragiiin's favourites, I didn't really know what to expect. Was I going to enjoy it, or recoil in terror? Well, I found this song to be pretty good overall. There were a couple parts I didn't like. The vocals started going into screaming at some parts (not a fan of screaming), and the instruments got a little crazy at others. Still, an overall good song.

Bottom Line: You'd be cuckoo not to give this band a chance.

Quick! - The Magnetic Fields

Another decent song. It's a little on the short side, but I found it to be somewhat catchy, which is always good. The lyrics are nice, with interesting similes like "mating calls of sarcastic sharks". The melody got a tad repetitive, so that was where the length of the song became an asset. I'd recommend the song overall. It's both catchy and interesting.

Bottom Line: Quick, but good.

This might be a good time to let you know, dragiiin, that your link for Portishead's "Roads" isn't working. I imagine the video was taken down. Because I'm a lazy ass, on to the next song!

Blue Rosebuds - The Residents

I was actually enjoying this song for the first part. It sounded a lot like Pink Floyd to me. Then the high, almost screechy vocals came in, which absolutely did not work for me. If the entire song had the same vocals as the first part, then it might fare better grade-wise. But it didn't, so it won't. I won't give it the lowest grade ever, because there were some good parts, but I can't exactly sing its praises either.

Bottom Line: It ain't easy bein' blue.

Rating: 4/10

Time Space Proclivity - Bubblegum Octopus

Hmm, this was a decent song, but for some reason, I didn't enjoy it as much as the first two. It might be because, like the Animal Collective song, the drums got a little crazy and the vocals verged on screaming at some points. I should probably say this now: I prefer a good beat over "let's see how fast I can play these drums" any day. This song wasn't too bad, but it did have a little of the latter vibe. Just kind of so-so for me.

Bottom Line: Not the worst in all of time and space, but could have been better.

Rating: 7/10

Watching the Planets - The Flaming Lips

Now here's an interesting song. I like pretty much everything about it: the vocals, the borderline creepy music, even the simple lyrics. It's almost hypnotizing in a sense. Basically, I can't sum it up any further. It's creepy, and I love it.

Bottom Line: I just said that I can't sum it up any further. Why are you reading this?

Rating: 10/10

If you'd like me to review your song choices next week, either post in this thread or PM me!

thanx for the cool reviews wumbo! if you are ever interested in hearing other flaming lips musics, the album that the song you liked is called "embryonic". just in case, holmes.

also sorry to say but you missed the final four songs. or you just didn't wanna listen to dem. be sure to give em a listen, even if you aren't doing em for da review show.

Going on vacation tomorrow, so I may or may not get to reviewing more of dragiiin's songs this week. Regardless, here's your Billboard 5:

I Will Wait - Mumford & Sons

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0kS8RTRi7HA

You know what I said about hating country music and liking folk music? Well, it rings true once again here. I like this song a lot. It may get a little repetitive at times, but I'm okay with it because the music is good. I like the banjo in particular. This instrument gets a bad reputation, and I don't really see why. It's better than autotune, or half the "instruments" Lil Wayne uses in his songs. So, yeah. Great song, if a little repetitive.

Bottom Line: I will wait for their next single.

Hard to Love - Lee Brice

Ah, more country. Well, what was I expecting? This song is most like any other country song, basically with an underlying tone of "whatever". It's a little better than most country music, but not by much. You can basically copy and paste this into half the country songs I review and it'll be the same. What can I say? Sometimes my reviews are as generic as these songs.

Bottom Line: It's hard to love.

Rating: 6/10

Bag of Money - Wale ft. Rick Ross, Meek Mill & T-Pain

Question to consider: If all of you have equal billings in the song, pretty much, is it really fair to say that one artist features the other three? And while we're talking fairness, is it really fair for casual listeners to have to hear another song featuring T-Pain? Seriously, does the guy ever do anything without the help of autotune? Anyway, this song is a lot like most other rap songs I review. I mean, it's titled fucking "Bag of Money", for Christ's sake. Why should I expect any different? While not quite as unbearable as other stupid rap songs, this one still is really pointless and stupid.

Bottom Line: Proof that money is not everything.

Rating: 4/10

For You - Keith Urban

You know how I feel about country, right? Well, all bets are off when it comes to this song. Why? Because it actually has meaning! It tells a story. A story about a guy going out to war, fighting for his country and worrying about the safety of his wife and soon-to-be child. I mean, even I'm not so coldhearted that I would hate something like that just because it's country. And really, I know Keith is a country artist, but I don't feel much of a generic country vibe from this song. This is actually the first Urban song I've heard, and I like what I hear.

Bottom Line: This one's for you, country lovers.

Pop That - French Montana ft. Rick Ross, Drake & Lil Wayne (the gang's all here)

God fucking damn it. None of these people deserve to have any kind of musical career after this (and many other) songs. French Montana? This is the first time I've heard him (I thought it was going to be a chick, tbh. Don't ask me why) and already I hate him for being the main person involved with this song. Rick Ross? Well, his new album title pretty much sums it up for me. I don't forgive you for helping make this crap again and again, Rick. Drake? The most laughable thing about this video was one of the top comments: "Drake is getting better and better!" No he's not, he's getting more and more generic. I don't care if he knows how to work "double" and "triple" into the same line; he's still helping make a song about girls "popping" their asses (what does that even mean?) There was a point where I actually kind of

Drake's music, then he started getting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cimoNqiulUE, and now he's just a cigar-smoking douchebag. Lil Wayne? I have nothing to say about Lil Wayne.

Bottom Line: Looks like the makers of The Three Stooges miscounted.

Rating: 0/10

Ok I know it's getting kind of old, but seriously...

Pound the Alarm - Nicki Minaj

Like many Nicki Minaj songs, I'm not sure I get what this is supposed to be. All I can pry from the lyrics that I care to listen to is "WE GETTIN HOTTER AND HOTTER, SEXY AND HOTTER" and of course, "POUND THE ALARM". I mean, what the flying fuck is this? Seriously? I suppose I shouldn't be expecting more from Nicki "No-talent" Minaj, but I actually somewhat liked her song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he3DJLXbebI. I guess I was expecting her to grow as an artist and actually write shit that makes sense. Thank you, Nicki Minaj, for confirming that that one song was a fluke, and you're back to your flaky, slutty self.

Bottom Line: Can't say I'm alarmed, she still sucks.

Rating: 2/10

What the fuck did I just listen to? That song was simply generic mediocrity. Ugh, I really hate Nicki Minaj. I really do. Raping my earm drums.

Well, I'm back to reviewing dragiiin songs. Please refer to this link to give 'em a listen.

I Think it is Beautiful That You Are 256 Colors Too - Black Moth Super Rainbow

Well, that was kind of strange. I sort of liked it, the music was nice. I just wish I could understand what the singer (robot?) was singing. It was a good song, but not a great one. Interesting title, band name, and video, as far as song accessories go. That's really all I have to say on the matter.

Bottom Line: I don't think it's beautiful, per se, but it's not bad.

Rating: 7/10

星 - Hallelujahs( ハレルヤズ )

I liked this song. It had a nice, relaxing feel to it. There was nothing wrong with it at all, the music was nice, the vocals were good, etc. It didn't blow me away, but I don't think songs like this are really supposed to. I guess this is dragiiin's easy listening, and I don't mind at all.

Bottom Line: Pretty good.

(Btw, dragiiin, your Helicopter link isn't working)

Not for the Want of Trying - Maybeshewill

This was a great song. Some blistering guitar riffs, and I also liked the movie excerpt (the name of the movie escapes me, but I know it was a movie) because I thought it really fit in with the song. The song could have stood alone as a great instrumental, but it works in its current state too.

Bottom Line: Looks like they tried and succeeded.

Rating: 9.5/10

The Glow Part 2 - The Microphones

Hmm, this song had elements of both good and bad. I'll be honest; when it was bad, I could barely stand it. The instruments and the vocals seemed almost out of sync, and the latter wasn't that great. But then it got into an instrumental section, which was nice. I guess what I'm saying is that the biggest problem with this was the singer, and I almost wish it was just an instrumental.

Bottom Line: I'm not glowing with excitement to listen to Part 1.

Rating: 5.5/10

A lot of Korean symbols I can't find on my computer - Chakra

Like the song by Hallelujahs, this song isn't amazing, but it's nice and relaxing. I realize that not all songs have to be amazing works of art (who knows, maybe this is one, I don't understand Korean), but it's just my style of music. But I appreciate this song for what it is, just like the Hallelujahs song. It's a nice, relaxing tune.

Bottom Line: Decent.