• Advertisement

Square pants?

JCM

This has always been bugging me. Aren't SpongeBob's pants more rectangular than square? I'm not a geometry buff or anything, but the show's popular with kids, and I'd hate for them to get the wrong idea about basic shapes.

I asked some of the guys at the wiki about it, and they referred me to this blog about it, which contains Nickelodeon's semi-official explanation.

Hi Jonathon! Thanks for your message. You're right - we're sorry for not replying to you sooner! We thought your first email was really pretty awesome (seriously) and it had stunned us into total silence. Sorry about that. SpongeBob Rectangularpants 3 is a great name for any TV show, but it might be a bit hard to sing along with. Patchy the pirate would need quite some time to learn how to say a word with more than three syllables in it, and until then there'd be no theme music to sing along with. You can see what a problem that would be. We do have a department at Nickelodeon that sits around thinking about stuff like this. So far the best they came up with was "SpongeBob QuadrilateralPants", but we think that might mean something rude in Italian, so we didn't go any further with the idea. Rest assured that making things better is our top priority, and we'll keep your email in mind as we think of more ways to fill your TV with sponges. I'll make sure that the right people here at Nick get to see it (seriously.) Thanks again for your message - and of course, thank you for watching! All the best, Ant

EDIT: Then, after more pushing for answers, they responded with this:

Dear Jonny,

Thank you for your email. I am answer-bot, the automatic computer responder at Nickelodeon which handles emails when Ant cannot think of anything funny to say. Unfortunately this happens much too often and we’]

I personally think it's a conspiracy to make America's children dumber and therefore more susceptible to advertising. There's nothing I can do about it, but it's definitely something to think about.

Aside from those confusing replies from "those crazy executives," it's not a big deal and I believe that his pants are aptly square.

Would you let your children watch a cartoon with such a misleading title?

As far as now, this thread is nearly becoming pointless and maybe half of us are like "Great googly moogly, his pants may or may not be square, whatever shall we do?!" by now. Let's think about this: SQUIDward is an octopus, why? Yes, he has six tentacles, but why doesn't he have eight? The creators thought a design like that would look "bulky." In addition, squids have twelve tentacles, but my mileage may vary. Now, Spongebob Squarepants...he is in fact a square sponge, and that makes his clothing square, and I believe the shape of him pretty much makes his pants look like a rectangle. I'm pretty sure we've done all the geometry, but would a name like Spongebob Rectanglepants and Octoward come out very uncreative? This debate can go on for days.

I think you all should study up on 3-D geometrical shapes before posting in this thread. Last I checked, he wasn't "SpongeBob FlattenedByASteamrollerPants".

(And yes, I know that this point is nitpicky, but then again, so is this whole thread.)

Whatever shall we do? Its pants arent a perfect square? This means the world will explode! Another possible way for the world to explode would be if Hitler burped. Anyway whats the point of this thread? Besides the lies in those email responses. Ill get this letter to the right people my butt! So people stop making a deal of this. Spongebob is lovable with or without the perfect shape of a square

Agree?