• Advertisement

Most Controversial Episode

70s

SpongeBob has actually had a lot of controversial episodes over the years.

I think the most controversial is The Frycook Games. I don't know if I even need to explain why.

What do you think is the most controversial episode of SpongeBob? Discuss. 630566.gif

Spoiler
Spoiler
I don't think it's really controversial, but i heard somewhere Shanghaied was banned in a country. 499524.gif

Maybe that is why Gary Takes A Bath (It's partner episodes) didn't air Until 2003 when Shanghaied aired in 2001.

Do you know why it was banned?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Sorry i forget. I remember reading it back a long time ago. But i think it was because it was too scary which is kinda odd.. 49943.gif

And yeah i agree those other episodes are pretty controversial.

I don't find it scary.

Ok, i found out why it was banned. From Tvtropes :

ÔùªAccording to the Other Wiki, Shanghaied was banned in Australia and Britain for its dark tone and disturbing scenes. The episode it was paired with {"Gary Takes A Bath") was also banned for the popular "subliminal messages" part (its punchline being a picture of a Creepy Child). Thus the whole airing hardly ever gets shown except twice and when it did, Moral Guardians had a rally. This was a season 2 episode so no real excuse.

AND Gary Takes a Bath was banned too! 499524.gif

Spoiler
Spoiler
Ok, i found out why it was banned. From Tvtropes :

ÔùªAccording to the Other Wiki, Shanghaied was banned in Australia and Britain for its dark tone and disturbing scenes. The episode it was paired with {"Gary Takes A Bath") was also banned for the popular "subliminal messages" part (its punchline being a picture of a Creepy Child). Thus the whole airing hardly ever gets shown except twice and when it did, Moral Guardians had a rally. This was a season 2 episode so no real excuse.

AND Gary Takes a Bath was banned too! 499524.gif

Wow. So that's controversial in those countries, then. If those were banned, I expect Squidward in Clarinetland to be banned. 940789.jpg

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
I think "Sailor Mouth" was criticized by some group for its use of bleeped-out swear words. I guess "how the **** are you" was what got them.
I could definitely see that episode being controversial.