• Advertisement

Season 4 Discussion

70s

ZOMGZ big quote pyramid.

The thing is, when S4 episodes were good, they were GREAT.

When they were bad, they were CRAP.

We've had bigger. 428899.gif Usually when fights break out, single posts are as long as a normal page, because of the quote pyramid. 428899.gif

But you're right. How come Season 4 managed to have amazing episodes, when the majority of the episodes were crap? Did the writers just wake up on the wrong side of the bed when they made the bad episodes?

We've had bigger. 428899.gif Usually when fights break out, single posts are as long as a normal page, because of the quote pyramid. 428899.gif

But you're right. How come Season 4 managed to have amazing episodes, when the majority of the episodes were crap? Did the writers just wake up on the wrong side of the bed when they made the bad episodes?

Okay then, let's set the record for the biggest quote pyramid that doesn't involve a fight. 428899.gif

Yeah that's a good question. 428899.gif

I mean, seriously...I would gladly swap some of the weaker Season 2/3 episodes for the amazing Season 4 episodes. I'd rather there was a season with 40-ish amazing episodes than 10 good ones and the rest being crap.

Alright. Let's try. 428899.gif But I have to leave in about twenty minutes...my mom and dad are dragging me to church. >.>

I agree with that. The good episodes were smack in the middle of the season; it was like the writers were doing bad, bad, bad, good, excellent, and then bad, bad, bad again. =-/

Alright. Let's try. 428899.gif But I have to leave in about twenty minutes...my mom and dad are dragging me to church. >.>

I agree with that. The good episodes were smack in the middle of the season; it was like the writers were doing bad, bad, bad, good, excellent, and then bad, bad, bad again. =-/

Oh, have fun? 428899.gif

Hmmm yeah, sorta like they were making a pattern. 428899.gif

Not have fun. 428899.gif I don't like going to church. I have to listen to someone drone on and on and on....

Sorta like a pattern. Except there should've been a "good" to wrap up the season, like so: "bad, good, bad, good." But instead, it went like this: "bad, good, bad," which was really a bummer.

Did you like Dunces and Dragons?

Not have fun. 428899.gif I don't like going to church. I have to listen to someone drone on and on and on....

Sorta like a pattern. Except there should've been a "good" to wrap up the season, like so: "bad, good, bad, good." But instead, it went like this: "bad, good, bad," which was really a bummer.

Did you like Dunces and Dragons?

K I'll do this on a scale of:

Terrible

Bad

Okay

Good

Great

Fear of a Krabby Patty-Good

Shell of a Man-Okay

The Lost Mattress-Great

Krabs Vs. Plankton-Good

Have You seen This Snail?-Good

Skill Crane-Good

Good Neighbors-Okay

Selling Out-Okay

Funny Pants-Bad

Dunces and Dragons-Great

Enemy in Law-Okay

MermaidMan and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture-Good

Patrick SmartPants-Okay

Squidbob TentaclePants-Bad

Krusty Towers-Great

Mrs. Puff, You're Fired-Great

Chimps Ahoy-Good

Ghost Host-Terrible

Whale of a Birthday-Okay

Karate Island-Good

All That Glitters-Terrible

Wishing you Well-Great

New Leaf-Bad

Once Bitten-Okay

Bummer Vacation-Bad

Wigstruck-Okay

Squidtastic Voyage-Good

That's No Lady-Okay

The Thing-Okay

Hocus Pocus-Okay

Driven to Tears-Good

Rule of Dumb-Bad

Born to Be Wild-Okay

Best Frenemies-Okay

The Pink Purloiner-Good

Squid Wood-Okay

The Best Day Ever-Bad

The Gift of Gum-Bad

Meh. A lot of "okay's".

Fear of a Krabby Patty- 8/10

Shell of a Man- 9/10

The Lost Mattress- 8/10

Krabs Vs. Plankton- 9/10

Have You seen This Snail?- 8.5/10

Skill Crane- 5/10

Good Neighbors- 2/10

Selling Out- 7/10

Funny Pants- 0/10

Dunces and Dragons- 3/10

Enemy in Law- 1/10

MermaidMan and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture- 8/10

Patrick SmartPants- 1/10

Squidbob TentaclePants- 6/10

Krusty Towers- 10/10

Mrs. Puff, You're Fired- 8/10

Chimps Ahoy- 9/10

Ghost Host- 8/10

Whale of a Birthday- 8/10

Karate Island- 5/10

All That Glitters- 0/10

Wishing you Well- 10/10

New Leaf- 7/10

Once Bitten- 2/10

Bummer Vacation- 5/10

Wigstruck- 6/10

Squidtastic Voyage- 8/10

That's No Lady- 8/10

The Thing- 2/10

Hocus Pocus- 7/10

Driven to Tears- 5/10

Rule of Dumb- 0/10

Born to Be Wild- 7/10

Best Frenemies- 7/10

The Pink Purloiner- 7/10

Squid Wood- 6/10

The Best Day Ever- 5/10

The Gift of Gum- 5/10

Fear of a Krabby Patty- 8.0/10

Shell of a Man- 7/10

The Lost Mattress- 7.5/10

Krabs Vs. Plankton- 7.5/10

Have You seen This Snail?- 9.0/10

Skill Crane- 7.0/10

Good Neighbors- 6.5/10

Selling Out- 7.5/10

Funny Pants- 8.0/10

Dunces and Dragons- 8.0/10

Enemy in Law- 6.5/10

MermaidMan and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture- 8.5/10

Patrick SmartPants- 7.5/10

Squidbob TentaclePants- 7.5/10

Krusty Towers- 9.0/10

Mrs. Puff, You're Fired- 9.0/10

Chimps Ahoy- 7.5/10

Ghost Host- 7.0/10

Whale of a Birthday- 8.0/10

Karate Island- 7.5/10

All That Glitters- 7.5/10

Wishing you Well- 9.0/10

New Leaf- 5.0/10

Once Bitten- 7.0/10

Bummer Vacation- 8.0/10

Wigstruck- 7.5/10

Squidtastic Voyage- 8.5/10

That's No Lady- 8.0/10

The Thing- 7.5/10

Hocus Pocus- 7.5/10

Driven to Tears- 8.5/10

Rule of Dumb- 6.0/10

Born to Be Wild- 8.0/10

Best Frenemies- 7.5/10

The Pink Purloiner- 8.0/10

Squid Wood- 6.5/10

The Best Day Ever- 6.5/10

The Gift of Gum- 7.0/10

Fear of a Krabby Patty- 8/10

Shell of a Man- 8/10

The Lost Mattress- 9/10

Krabs Vs. Plankton- 9/10

Have You seen This Snail?- 9/10

Skill Crane- 9/10

Good Neighbors- 8/10

Selling Out- 7/10

Funny Pants- 4/10

Dunces and Dragons- 8/10

Enemy in Law- 3/10

MermaidMan and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture- 8/10

Patrick SmartPants- 8/10

Squidbob TentaclePants- 2/10

Krusty Towers- 10/10

Mrs. Puff, You're Fired- 8/10

Chimps Ahoy- 7/10

Ghost Host- 4/10

Karate Island- 5/10

All That Glitters- 5/10

Wishing you Well- 10/10

New Leaf-4/10

Once Bitten- 3/10

Bummer Vacation- 7/10

Wigstruck- 4/10

Squidtastic Voyage-4/10

That's No Lady- 6/10

The Thing- 6/10

Hocus Pocus- 7/10

Driven to Tears- 6/10

Rule of Dumb- 7/10

Born to Be Wild- 6/10

Best Frenemies- 3/10

The Pink Purloiner-7/10

Squid Wood-5/10

The Best Day Ever-7/10

The Gift of Gum- 5/10

"Meh" is the way to describe this season. Most of the episodes were crap (I hate post-movie episodes with all my heart.)

The only "good" episodes were Krusty Towers and Mrs. Puff, You're Fired. 5.0/10.

• Sad 1
  • God Himself 2

Fear of a Krabby Patty: 10/10

Shell of a Man: 2/10

The Lost Mattress: 7/10

KvsP: 7.5/10

Skill Crane: 8.5/10

Good Neighbors:7/10

Selling Out: 9/10

Funny Pants: 3/10

D&D: 4.5/10

Where's Gary: 9.5/10

MM & BB 6: 6.5/10

Enemy In Law: 9.5/10

Patrick Smarpants:11/10

SquidBob TentaclePants: 0.5/10

Krusty Towers: 11/10

Mrs Puff your Fired: 2/10

Ghost Host: 5/10

Chimps Ahoy!: 5.5/10

Whale of a Birthday: 8/10

Karate Island: 7.5/10

All that Glitters: 3/10

Wishing you Well: 10/10

New Leaf: 6.5/10

Once Bitten: 6.5/10

Bummer Vacation: 7/10

Wigstruck: 2/10

Squidtastic Voyage: 4.5/10

That's No Lady: 10/10

The Thing: 10/10

Hocus Pocus: 9.5/10

Driven to tears: 6.5/10

Rule Of Dumb: 3/10

Born To Be Wild: 6/10

Best Frenimies: 10/10

The pink Purlioner: 7/10

Squid Wood: 7/10

Best Day Ever: 10/10

The Gift Of Gum: 2/10

Overall, my least favorite season. most episodes were okay at best and i did not give out a lot of 10's unlike most other seasons.

Thought I might as well.

Fear of a Krabby Patty- 8.2/10

Shell of a Man- 8/10

The Lost Mattress- 7.8/10

Krabs Vs. Plankton- 7/10

Have You seen This Snail?- 9/10

Skill Crane- 8/10

Good Neighbors- 5/10

Selling Out- 7.8/10

Funny Pants- 7.2/10

Dunces and Dragons- 8.5/10

Enemy in Law- 6/10

MermaidMan and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture- 8.8/10

Patrick SmartPants- 7.8/10

Squidbob TentaclePants- 7.5/10

Krusty Towers- 9/10

Mrs. Puff, You're Fired- 8.8/10

Chimps Ahoy- 7.6/10

Ghost Host- 6.5/10

Karate Island- 6/10

All That Glitters- 7/10

Wishing you Well- 9/10

New Leaf- 5.2/10

Once Bitten- 6/10

Bummer Vacation- 8.4/10

Wigstruck- 8.7/10

Squidtastic Voyage- 8.8/10

That's No Lady- 8.5/10

The Thing- 7.3/10

Hocus Pocus- 7.6/10

Driven to Tears- 8.4/10

Rule of Dumb- 5.8/10

Born to Be Wild- 8/10

Best Frenemies- 7.9/10

The Pink Purloiner- 8.5/10

Squid Wood- 6/10

The Best Day Ever- 6.5/10

The Gift of Gum- 7.5/10

This was an interesting season, in that it didn't so much feel like a show that had jumped the shark, rather a more watered-down program. Same characters, same settings, but almost a different show. A very different vibe. I think the storytelling this season was still pretty decent, and while the humor was very much weakened (save for a few gems like "Krusty Towers"), it didn't affect the show to an irrepairable state. This season was nowhere, and I repeat, NOWHERE near the wonder of pre-movie SB, but it's not guilty of the many shameful current trends the show has adapted in recent years. Slips in quality considerably, around the 3/3 of the season, though "Born to Be Wild" is decent, and "Wigstruck" is at least stupidly amusing. 'Rule of Dumb" is horrid, and irredeemable. But this season was all in all, pretty good. I give it a 6.7/10.

Highlights: "Fear of a Krabby Patty", Krabs Vs. Plankton", "Selling Out", "MM and BB VI", "Krusty Towers", "Ghost Host", "Wishing You Well"

• Like 2

Kaos, my thoughts exactly. Well, almost. :P The first half of this Season was fantastic to me, and could honestly fit in with Seasons 1-3 easily. Most of the original SB crew jumped ship after the movie, leaving a few key people left. Paul Tibbitt became the supervising producer, and Vincent Waller became the creative director. Pre-Movie, both of these roles were used by Derek Drymon. Some old writers returned as well. Erik Wiese returned to writing after becoming a full-time storyboard artist in Season 2, Tim Hill wrote for the first time since S1, and Chris Mitchell came back from S1 too. Aaron Springer also returned after a hiatus around halfway through Season 3.

They were paired with writing newbies, like Zeus Cervas and Casey Alexander. But, as I was saying before, the first half of this Season is great. Fear Of A Krabby Patty, Have You Seen This Snail, Skill Crane and Dunces And Dragons were episodes that felt like Season 2 episodes with better animation. The storyboard art was really good, with a good blend of older and newer artists. The animation was also stunningly fantastic. I'm willing to say that it's the best animation in the show period. It was great and fluid.

More new guys came on the show around the 2nd Half of the season. Luke Brookshier, Tom King, and Steven Banks. The storyboard crew added more new people, like Sean Charmatz and others. And around the second half, the Season changed. The animation got colder, the jokes got kiddier and less adult, and the characters were shifted from their original personalities.

Also, in Season 4, we were given Good Neighbors and All That Glitters, two episodes far below Spongebob's usual standard.The Season concluded with Best Day Ever, which gave us two new writers: Nate Cash and Tuck Tucker. The episode was pretty mediocre, which was possibly a sign of what was to come.

All in all, the first half of the Season was great. The second half was good. This Season was a turning point for the Sponge. The last Season (until Season 8) where the genius was enough to outweigh the mediocre or outright bad. A good season. No, angreat Season. At times, as good as Season 3. At times, as bad as Season 6. No doubt. The perfect blend of Pre-Movie and Post-Movie.

8.5/10. Good.

Kaos, my thoughts exactly. Well, almost. :P The first half of this Season was fantastic to me, and could honestly fit in with Seasons 1-3 easily. Most of the original SB crew jumped ship after the movie, leaving a few key people left. Paul Tibbitt became the supervising producer, and Vincent Waller became the creative director. Pre-Movie, both of these roles were used by Derek Drymon. Some old writers returned as well. Erik Wiese returned to writing after becoming a full-time storyboard artist in Season 2, Tim Hill wrote for the first time since S1, and Chris Mitchell came back from S1 too. Aaron Springer also returned after a hiatus around halfway through Season 3.

They were paired with writing newbies, like Zeus Cervas and Casey Alexander. But, as I was saying before, the first half of this Season is great. Fear Of A Krabby Patty, Have You Seen This Snail, Skill Crane and Dunces And Dragons were episodes that felt like Season 2 episodes with better animation. The storyboard art was really good, with a good blend of older and newer artists. The animation was also stunningly fantastic. I'm willing to say that it's the best animation in the show period. It was great and fluid.

More new guys came on the show around the 2nd Half of the season. Luke Brookshier, Tom King, and Steven Banks. The storyboard crew added more new people, like Sean Charmatz and others. And around the second half, the Season changed. The animation got colder, the jokes got kiddier and less adult, and the characters were shifted from their original personalities.

Also, in Season 4, we were given Good Neighbors and All That Glitters, two episodes far below Spongebob's usual standard.The Season concluded with Best Day Ever, which gave us two new writers: Nate Cash and Tuck Tucker. The episode was pretty mediocre, which was possibly a sign of what was to come.

All in all, the first half of the Season was great. The second half was good. This Season was a turning point for the Sponge. The last Season (until Season 8) where the genius was enough to outweigh the mediocre or outright bad. A good season. No, angreat Season. At times, as good as Season 3. At times, as bad as Season 6. No doubt. The perfect blend of Pre-Movie and Post-Movie.

8/10. Good.

Your analyzing skills are immaculate. Ever thought about going into journalism or the newspaper business?

Fear of the Krabby Patty: A

Shell of a Man: A-

The Lost Mattress: A

Krabs vs. Plankton: B+

Skill Crane: A+

Good Neighbors: F-

Selling Out: B+

Funny Pants: D

Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture: A+

Enemy in Law: B-

Patrick SmartPants: C+

Squidbob TentaclePants: B+