• Advertisement

Movies that you liked or loved as a kid, but got old and eventually grew to realize that those movies are actually bad.

Karen

On 8/13/2012 at 1:22 PM, JCM said:

Since you bring up Disney, I used to be a big fan of the High School Musical series. I saw the first when it originally aired, got the second on DVD, and saw the third in theaters. I re-watched them a couple of months ago and found them to be atrocious. I must have had horrible taste as a kid.

Ha ha. Actually, that's one for me. I remember liking the first when I was six because I was a dumb kid and didn't know any better and my sister was obsessed with them. I remember seeing the national premiere on Disney Channel of the second one and while watching that is when I realized it sucked and turned it off. I never really hated them and I'd be lying if I said I didn't forget that they existed for a little while but after standardized testing in eighth grade they always do the whole thing where there's no more material to cover in class so they just put on a movie, and we watched it in History class of all places. My friend basically knew the lyrics to every song and i told her not to sing along but she did anyway. It was of course awful, but just kind of campy in a sense. Like, if you played it at a party with most of your friends borderline drunk, I'm sure you'd have a decent time making fun of it. 

45 minutes ago, CyanideFishbone said:

Ha ha. Actually, that's one for me. I remember liking the first when I was six because I was a dumb kid and didn't know any better and my sister was obsessed with them. I remember seeing the national premiere on Disney Channel of the second one and while watching that is when I realized it sucked and turned it off. I never really hated them and I'd be lying if I said I didn't forget that they existed for a little while but after standardized testing in eighth grade they always do the whole thing where there's no more material to cover in class so they just put on a movie, and we watched it in History class of all places. My friend basically knew the lyrics to every song and i told her not to sing along but she did anyway. It was of course awful, but just kind of campy in a sense. Like, if you played it at a party with most of your friends borderline drunk, I'm sure you'd have a decent time making fun of it. 

It's funny because I don't remember watching those movies at all in 2012. I think I just said that to be cool. While I doubt the movies are as good as I remember, I doubt they're atrocious either,

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JCM said:

It's funny because I don't remember watching those movies at all in 2012. I think I just said that to be cool. While I doubt the movies are as good as I remember, I doubt they're atrocious either,

They're really not. They're bad, but it's pretty much exactly what you'd expect with a title like "High School Musical". It's not really offensively bad in any way, just kind of campy bad. Like, a good movie to watch and poke fun at with some friends if you're bored.

11 hours ago, HelloMisterSpringtime said:

So, you think Madagascar, Finding Nemo, and Zootopia are bad movies?

He's pretty much talking about some of the goofiest CGI or CGI/live-action movies like Scooby-Doo, Cat in the Hat, Garfield, Shark Tale, etc.

Also, Zootopia is out of question, in part of the topic's title "got old and eventually grew to realize those movies are actually bad."

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 1