• Advertisement

211a. Plankton Retires

Jjs Goodman

Episode Rating  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Chum Buckets: Maybe he really is retiring...
    • 4/5 Chum Buckets: Gotcha.
    • 3/5 Chum Buckets:If I had a dime for every time you...
    • 2/5 Chum Buckets: We're done here.
    • 1/5 Chum Buckets: I WILL DESTROY ALL OF YOU!

WfPY6dQ.png 

Premieres: 

Saturday, March 25th @ 10:00am ET/PT

Encores:

Saturday, March 25th @ 4:00pm ET/PT

Sunday, March 26th @ 11:30am ET/PT

Plot:

Plankton closes the Chum Bucket and moves to a new town, but Mr. Krabs suspects he is still up to no good.

Clips:

1.) http://www.nick.com/spongebob-squarepants/videos/spongebob-squarepants-211-clip/

This sort of sounds like a remake of New Leaf to me, but the new setting could be interesting, so we'll see how it goes.

Edited by jjsthekid

Ehh... This episode took honestly WAY TOO LONG to even start the plot. We did not need almost half the entire episode for the plot to start, which just seems like really poor pacing. By the 2nd or 3rd time they showed Plankton failing at trying to steal the formula, I was just ready for them to move on. If the first half was actually entertaining, that would've been fine, but it got too repetitive. That being said, I thought the rest was okay, but man, did that beginning almost drag the entire episode down for me. If they had cut the opening out, and had more development time for Plankton at Dullsvile, the episode could've been pretty interesting. But alas, they wasted half the episode on set-up, so Plankton at the new town didn't play out long enough for me to really care. The twist ending with the robots (which wasn't really bad in and of itself, I suppose there's been worse twists) would've felt more surprising had they fleshed out Plankton at the new town more. I did like the ending with the robots traveling together though, that was kind of amusing. Not a bad episode, and nothing else was really outright bad about it other than the poor pacing, but Mr. L has done much better than this. I feel they could've done a lot more with this concept. Honestly, if people want a prime example of how poor pacing can kind of almost ruin an episode with an interesting premise, look to this.

Grade: B- 

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 3

So this wasn't like New Leaf, but because of that it kind of missed an opportunity for character work and shifting the status quo for longer than it did. It was the same old simple schemes for 11 minutes. Idk, maybe I shouldn't be hard on that because we all know the reset would've come anyhow.

Perch Perkins was really unnecessary here, and for some reason, the Krusty Katering vehicle is now an established piece of continuity? 

I liked the sight gags with Spongebob as Krabs' squeegee, the Chum Bucket Hand burying the bucket, and Spongebob taking a phone call in the middle of the dusty scrap fight.

Robots were definitely the best part of the episode just for the conversation about how fed up with their owners they are. "Grow up, that's what I say". Them spontaneously exploding at the end was stupid and lazy though.

• Like 3

I thought this episode was okay, though other than Perch Perkins's being a possibility at the beginning, I'd like to know how Mr. Krabs is aware of Plankton's schemes all the way through. Kinda contrived that Mr. Krabs knew Plankton would use retiring as a decoy and prepare a robot to pretend to spy on him. (maybe Krabs learned after Plankton pulled that same trick in the SooW movie? I don't know.) I thought the best part was the ending with the robots. And I liked the parts with the Krusty Katering vehicle cameoing,  Mr. Krabs using SpongeBob to clean the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob getting motion sickness on the fan, and SpongeBob taking a phone call during the fight.

I ROFL'd at Mr. Krabs being in the stomach WITH Plankton! How did he even DO that?! I felt like what this episode segment did that "New Leaf" didn't, was that Spongebob has more of a central role in this episode! Kind of random bit with the robot's, but funny how the ROBOT versions became friends! A pretty good episode, overall.

• God Himself 2

This episode felt just okay. It has both great and bad stuff. It really took 4 minutes to get to the actual plot and that bothered me. I get you have to set up Plankton getting tired of failing but we didn't need to see his failure 5 times already. At first it was amusing like Plankton's facial expressions on camera were pretty funny but later on, it felt so repetitive. And I just can't help but feel this episode is just nothing new, so the status quo here felt so annoying. Plankton quitting to steal formula was handled better in News Leaf, even if that one was predictable too. What unpredictable was that Plankton, Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob at Dullsville turning out to be robots which was the best aspect of the episode. I loved them talking about how pointless Plankton's schemes are (how ironic for an episode that was pointless) and robots being used for Krabs and Plankton rivalry. The montage of robots spending time together was funny as hell too. Too bad if this episode had more substance and not a long set up, I would have enjoyed it. Still it's nothing so bad and it had it's amusing moments.

Grade: B-

• Like 1

What the heck... that was actually literally genuinely funny in some areas and the animation was so smooth. Literally one of the best episodes in years in certain ways at least. I didn't see the robot twist coming (even though it was done in episodes like Frozen Face-Off before) as I thought Plankton was genuinely retire and do retired stuff. A pretty fast paced episode but it keeps you on your toes and ready for the action between the two restaurants. I really loved SpongeBob and Krabs' dynamic in this, SpongeBob especially. Would rewatch for him and the robots alone. The long await to the actual ep's plot didn't bother me as much as others, probably because it was quick with each gag and interesting. And what a way to end it, lmao.

A  (grades might change with another watch or two)

• Like 1

I'm all caught up. I missed these episode when they originally aired since I overslept on that day.

No offense, Mr Lawrence, since you voice Plankton and all, an episode about him retiring seems promising. But it's just the same old predictable plot that I had seen in half of the Plankton episodes. Let's see why this episode didn't worked. The episode had a rather sluggish pacing at the beginning, which is almost similar how a few episodes last season started off. Plus, it got repetitive seeing Plankton getting the Krabby Patty and I always see it coming. The plot twist was just dumb and forced. But on the bright side, there were some moments that balanced the rating a bit. The news reporting was really funny. Mr Krabs and SpongeBob spying on Plankton at Dullsville was cool and I liked that setting. Pretty much every scene wasn't forced or predictable nonsense was watchable. The rest is just rather disappointing. I excepted better. 5/10