• Advertisement

The Writer's Lounge

Ron

I do think that part of the problem is the lack of response to spin-off episodes. If you liked an episode of a spin-off, consider commenting rather than simply liking the post. Say what you liked about it, talk about the plot, the characters, etc. Even if you didn't like it, say so and say why! Give constructive feedback. It all comes down to effort, both from writers and readers. Discussion pays off for both parties.

I like this idea, but I think it would be a amazing idea to have a thread for tips and advice on how to make a great spin-off. Hopefully this is read by a manager right now, and would accept the idea.  :D

Look, I need another writer for SBC: The Dome. It's hard to write a show with just one person. Yes Man Ray did guest write an episode, but that was it. Nobody's really helping either, as he was the only one who gave feedback before he faded off into inactivity. If anyone could help write, that would be much appreciated. This season was really rough, and as you could notice the episodes had a very uneven schedule because of lack of interest and help. Look, there's other spin-offs/lits besides your Skodwardes and Riffing Theatres. Albeit those are much better and very good spin-offs/lits, we need some help from others to help smaller spin/offs and lits grow up to be that way.

Look, I need another writer for SBC: The Dome. It's hard to write a show with just one person. Yes Man Ray did guest write an episode, but that was it. Nobody's really helping either, as he was the only one who gave feedback before he faded off into inactivity. If anyone could help write, that would be much appreciated. This season was really rough, and as you could notice the episodes had a very uneven schedule because of lack of interest and help. Look, there's other spin-offs/lits besides your Skodwardes and Riffing Theatres. Albeit those are much better and very good spin-offs/lits, we need some help from others to help smaller spin/offs and lits grow up to be that way.

I hear what you are saying and if my plate wasn't full I would consider helping, but you can't expect a spin-off to become a hit instantly.  It takes time and hard work.  Trust me, when I started writing back in 2009, I didn't get feedback right away either.  It took like three completed spin-offs until I finally started getting recognition for my work.  Since I see you mentioned two works Jjs is involved with, he didn't get recognition for his work instantly either and it took him some time.  Ask around and a lot of people will say the same.

• Like 2

I hear what you are saying and if my plate wasn't full I would consider helping, but you can't expect a spin-off to become a hit instantly.  It takes time and hard work.  Trust me, when I started writing back in 2009, I didn't get feedback right away either.  It took like three completed spin-offs until I finally started getting recognition for my work.  Since I see you mentioned two works Jjs is involved with, he didn't get recognition for his work instantly either and it took him some time.  Ask around and a lot of people will say the same.

Sorry if I came off annoying there :P I felt kinda desperate for some help and feedback. I guess I'm just too impatient to work with spin-offs.

Well SBC: The Dome S2 is about to premiere and I'd like to have another writer on board. I can work with 10 episodes for one season but it would be nice if I could have another writer so the season could be bigger. Even so, I'd write most of the episodes, just have a couple written by that writer. But if no one wants to help, that's ok and I can deal with it.

Well SBC: The Dome S2 is about to premiere and I'd like to have another writer on board. I can work with 10 episodes for one season but it would be nice if I could have another writer so the season could be bigger. Even so, I'd write most of the episodes, just have a couple written by that writer. But if no one wants to help, that's ok and I can deal with it.

I'd love to help, but I have too many writing projects going on right now. Sorry.

Is it safe for me to say that spin-offs/lits are at a slump at this moment? I'm not saying they're dying, but you know I mean, right?

Yep. Still going through and writing my SBC: The Dome episodes. I might renew it for a third season, maybe not, but yeah. The spin-off section is definitely doing bad as of now.

What really gets me though is how stuff gets moved to the Locker in a heartbeat. Some returning spin-offs have ended completely, including one of my own, but some feel like they've ended abruptly from my POV. (Patrick in the Future, The Intertidal Zone) Not only that, but a bunch of newly introduced/upcoming ideas already get tossed out of the window. (Clam and Gary, Community Out of Water, Characters in Nickelback Music Videos, and Normally Average for example) Full SBC didn't even last 5 days in the Spin-Off/Lit section from what I just saw. I'm probably being too skeptical about this decline, but I feel like some ideas are needed to bring back interest in spin-offs/lits.

• Like 1

I see where you're coming from, but at the same time, I'm kind of tired of hearing people saying they're dying and not doing anything about it. Just going to paste this old post of Wumbo's:

Well, what's there to talk about? You want spin-offs to be read? Read spin-offs. You want spin-offs to be made? Make 'em.

As for Clam & Gary, that's not cancelled, JCM just moved it there for the time being, but he is working on it last I heard. I can see your point on the others, however.

I tend to worry about this kind of thing and it's been on my mind for a while, so I can't really help myself. It's even hard for me to not bring this up when people discuss the Spongeboard having low views for any week. Also, I wasn't trying to imply the spin-offs/lits are "dying," (or even mask that up) when I'm still trying to say that interest is coming off slow.

And yes, I did know Zaid wanted Full SBC to be moved, I was setting its outcome as an example.

I feel it's best for me that I resurrect this thread to express some of the thoughts that have been stressing with my mind. This isn't about my thoughts on the spin-offs in general, I already know that I've made that mistake twice. This is about how I've been managing my spin-offs/lits these days, it will sound personal, but still, it's best said:

I've said that I'm planning on updating a select few of my spin-offs this month, but later on, near the end of this month, I haven't posted anything new. I'll allow you guys to ask me "how hard is it to write a new episode of a spin-off/lit at the best convenience?" This is where I make my confession: I've lost the passion to write my works. Heck, I've even been feeling less motivated to write for UWS, which I always assured to try and update regularly. I mean, I do care for my spin-offs/lits and I do feel guilty for delaying them for so long, but at times I can't get myself motivated. I also have my excuses: I'm more focused on my performances in school, I'm too attached to my own life, I'm attached to a real idea for an animated product and inspired to think of ideas for [Aviary] a lot more, I spend half of my time worrying about the fact that I delay episodes for my spin-offs/lits for too long, and at times I'll get distracted by the urge to listen to music, play video games, or watch videos.

After acknowledging this, I want to get some advice if any other SBC member here has some to share for me. I want advice on getting into the habit of updating my spin-offs/lits reguarly, because I make promises for myself that I would do this at one point, but every time, I shirk it off and just don't get into the habit.

Edited by Steel Sponge

24 minutes ago, Steel Sponge said:

I feel it's best for me that I resurrect this thread to express some of the thoughts that have been stressing with my mind. This isn't about my thoughts on the spin-offs in general, I already know that I've made that mistake twice. This is about how I've been managing my spin-offs/lits these days, it will sound personal, but still, it's best said:

I've said that I'm planning on updating a select few of my spin-offs this month, but later on, near the end of this month, I haven't posted anything new. I'll allow you guys to ask me "how hard is it to write a new episode of a spin-off/lit at the best convenience?" This is where I make my confession: I've lost the passion to write my works. Heck, I've even been feeling less motivated to write for UWS, which I always assured to try and update regularly. I mean, I do care for my spin-offs/lits and I do feel guilty for delaying them for so long, but at times I can't get myself motivated. I also have my excuses: I'm more focused on my performances in school, I'm too attached to my own life, I'm attached to a real idea for an animated product and inspired to think of ideas for [Aviary] a lot more, I spend half of my time worrying about the fact that I delay episodes for my spin-offs/lits for too long, and at times I'll get distracted by the urge to listen to music, play video games, or watch videos.

After acknowledging this, I want to get some advice if any other SBC member here has some to share for me. I want advice on getting into the habit of updating my spin-offs/lits reguarly, because I make promises for myself that I would do this at one point, but every time, I shirk it off and just don't get into the habit.

Being someone who temporarily retired from writing lits on SBC in the past, I'll try to give you some advice. I feel these are the two best options I can recommend...

1. Announce an indefinite retirement from your writing career. I know what you're more interested in is advice on regaining your writing passion, which is what my second suggestion is about, so you can skip ahead to that if you want. I just want to say that it's okay to be more dedicated to your real life. As the saying goes, real life problems come before internet problems. However, if it's gotten to the point where you can no longer find time to write spin-offs/lits, yet are still interested in writing them, I think the best suggestion I can make is to simply put all your works on a definite hiatus until you have time. Tell your readers that you're going into a temporary retirement for sure and explain why. That way, at least they will appreciate your honesty and be more happy than ever when you finally do return to writing.

2. Look for a way to restore your drive to write. This post is proof you do still care about writing. Find the reason why your drive for continuing your currently airing stories has faltered despite your love for writing all together having prevailed. Maybe you just feel like you've done everything you felt you wanted to do with your stories that are still running. It could also be that you've lost interest in writing episodic stories, not everyone is a series-based story kind of writer. Some prefer short stories because they have a lot of ideas that they don't feel need to be highly fleshed out and expanded into a story arc-based show, rather than one idea that they feel demands an entire universe constructed around it. You'll never know until you take a deep, hard look at yourself and try to understand the exact reason. Once you know the reason and figure out your true writing goal, your drive will definitely return and you'll be on top of the world.  

Those are just my recommendations.

• Like 1